Chapter 10 - Final

Thanks for the Memories

It felt like an eternity for Yoongi as he waited for the weekend to arrive. He had been irritable, impatient and nervous about his plans. He had holed himself up in his studio for most of the week, burying himself in work in an attempt to keep his mind occupied. He had planned a simple date, knowing that Da Hee wasn’t the type to like anything too fancy, just like him.

 

He stood in front his mirror, fixing his hair for the millionth time. He let out a long breath and checked his watch. “Time to go.” He said, giving his appearance one last check before grabbing his wallet, phone, and keys and heading out to pick up Da Hee. He drummed his fingers nervously against the steering wheel the whole way. Da Hee had no idea what he was planning for the evening, as far as she knew, they were just going out to celebrate the success of her exhibition. She had no idea that Yoongi was planning on confessing to her.

 

She was waiting at the entrance of her building for him. She smiled as she saw his familiar car pull up in front of her. She slid into the car and gave him a bright smile. “Hey.” She said as she buckled up her seatbelt. “Hey.” He answered, his nerves multiplying tenfold now that she was right in front of him. “Where are we going?” she asked curiously as he put the car into gear and took off. “You’ll see when we get there.” He said with a grin as he pushed down his nerves, not wanting her to worry.

 

 

 

He pulled up outside of a familiar looking restaurant. “Isn’t this the place I brought you to the first time I picked you up after our accident?” she asked as she stepped out of the car. Yoongi nodded, suddenly feeling ten times as nervous than before. “Yeah, sorry. Maybe I should have picked somewhere fancier than this since we’re celebrating. I just thought that because we had memories here that it would be a good idea…” he said quickly. He stopped abruptly when he heard her laugh. “This is perfect.” She said, giving him a warm smile that made his chest tighten as she headed into the restaurant. He let out a sigh of relief that she didn’t seem to mind his choice of restaurant. It was here that he really started to get to know her, so to him, it was a special place.

 

They managed to get the same table they had sat at on their first visit to the restaurant together. They placed their order, both of them agreeing that because they were celebrating that they should have some soju. “What about your car?” she asked as Yoongi ordered two bottles of soju. “I can just leave it here and pick it up tomorrow. It’s not too far from my studio and it’s a safe neighbourhood.” He said as their drinks arrived. He poured them both a glass before lifting his own. “A toast, to the success of your first solo exhibition.” She turned red at his words but raised her own glass, gently tapping it against his before they both downed the clear liquid.

 

“Ah, it’s been so long since I had soju.” She said as she coughed a little from the burn of the alcohol. Yoongi chuckled as he refilled their glasses. “You’re not a lightweight, are you?” he teased, a hint of a smirk playing on his lips. She snorted, “Me? A lightweight?” She laughed and raised her glass again, the threat of a challenge in her words. “Do you really want to take me on?” she asked, a wicked glint in her eye. Yoongi smirked as he reached out and picked up his own glass. “I think I can take you.” He replied cockily. They both grinned at each other before downing their glasses, both of them slamming their glasses back onto the table at the same time.

 

 

By the time they had finished eating, there were several empty soju bottles littering the table. The two of them grimaced as they downed their last shot of soju each. “I think we’re too evenly matched.” Da Hee said as she let her hand fall by her side. Yoongi chuckled, his cheeks flushed pink from the alcohol. “I think you're right.” He said. “Come on, I have something else planned.” He said as he stood up, shaking his head a little to get rid of the swimming feeling in his head. He paid for their dinner, Da Hee protesting that it was too much, considering how much they had had to drink. Her words fell on deaf ears as he paid and led her out of the restaurant.

 

“Do you think you’ll be okay to walk a bit?” he asked as they stepped out into the cold night air. She took a deep breath of the crisp air and nodded. “Yeah, I might need to stop off and buy some water though.” She said with a chuckle. He grinned at her as they started walking. They stopped by a convenience store, both of them ignoring the soju on display and heading straight for the water. Yoongi once again paid, making her complain once again. “I said I was taking you out to celebrate, so stop complaining.” He said as he pushed her hand, which was holding her wallet, back towards her bag. “Come on.” He said as he held the door open for her.

 

 

 

He nodded in greeting to the security guard who was sitting sleepily behind his desk as he led them to the elevator of his studio. His nerves, which had been dulled from the alcohol, suddenly returned full force. His palms felt sweaty so he rubbed them against his jeans. He felt like his heart was going to beat right out of his chest, he was surprised that she couldn’t hear it in the confined space of the elevator.

 

He led her to his studio, flipping on the lights as he went. “Why are we at your studio?” she asked curiously as Yoongi closed the door behind them. “For a surprise.” He said as he guided her to sit in his seat in front of his computer, which he had left on earlier that day. He quickly clicked through the folders on the screen until he found the one he wanted. He picked up a pair of headphones, his hands shaking slightly. “I want you to listen to this song.” He said. She nodded and he slipped the headphones over her ears, adjusting them for her so that they sat comfortably. He took a breath to steady his nerves before hitting play. 

 

He stood beside her, anticipating her reaction to the song. As soon as the melody started, a small smile spread across her face. Her fingers lightly tapped against her thigh as she listened, a smile never leaving her face. Yoongi shifted his weight from foot to foot whilst he waited, he could just hear the song coming from the headphones. When it ended she slipped the headphones off and turned to him. “Yoongi, that is amazing!” she gushed. “What’s it called?” she asked eagerly. “Confession.” He said, his eyes glued to her face. “Ah, that makes sense. It fits perfectly with the lyrics. Can I listen again?” she asked.

 

He nodded and this time he unplugged the headphones and let the small studio fill with the soft melody, accompanied by his own, slightly rough voice. When the song was halfway through, Yoongi finally found his voice again. “There’s a reason I asked you to come here and listen to this song tonight.” He said, making her turn away from the computer screen to look directly at him. “Yeah? What is it?” she asked, the slightest note of hopefulness in her voice.

 

He took a deep breath then locked gazes with her. “I know we haven’t known each other for that long, but from the first moment we met, there was something about you that just drew me to you. In such a short space of time I've shared more of myself with you than I have with some people that I’ve known for half my life.” He leant forward and she felt her breath catch in from the sudden close proximity. His face was only inches from hers, as she gripped the arms of the chair in anticipation.

 

He reached behind her and grabbed something before pulling away from her. She released a breath that she didn’t even realize she’d been holding. “Do you know what this is?” he asked as he leant against the table, still staying close beside her. She looked at the item in his hand and smiled, “It’s a memory jar, isn’t it?” she said. He nodded and as he unscrewed the lid. “Look at them.” He said as he held the jar out for her. “Are you sure?” she asked. He nodded, holding the jar out for her as she hesitantly reached into the jar and pulled out one of the pieces of paper. She carefully unfolded it and was surprised to see her name there in one of his happy memories. “Take another.” He said, his voice full of emotion.

 

She carefully pulled out another piece of paper and her name was there again. Her heartbeat began to quicken in anticipation. Yoongi grabbed a few of the papers and put the jar on the table and quickly opened them all, putting them down in front of her. “All of them are because of you.” He said quietly as she read all of the memories. “I got this jar just before we met, but I hadn’t put anything in it. I couldn’t think of anything that deserved to be in there until we met and now it’s so full, I’ve had to buy another one.”

 

A blush stained her cheeks at his words. he crouched down in front of her, taking her hands into his. “What I’m trying to say is; you make me happy. I was lost until I met you but now I think I’ve found where I’m meant to be. And who I’m meant to be with.”

 

“Yoongi…” she breathed.

 

“I love you, Da Hee.” He said, his grip tightening ever so slightly on her hands. Tears sprung to her eyes and Yoongi felt panic rise up within him. “But if you don’t feel the same then... oof!” he grunted as Da Hee launched herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck, sending them both to the ground. Yoongi laughed as he wrapped his arms around her waist from his position underneath her on the floor. “I love you too, Min Yoongi.” She said into the crook of his neck, making a relieved chuckle make its way out of his mouth.

 

She put her hand to the floor to push herself up but Yoongi took advantage of their new position, his hand slipping to the nape of her neck and pulling her down into their first kiss. They both smiled into the kiss. Da Hee giggling as she pulled back. Yoongi reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear, “I love you.” He repeated, enjoying the mixed look of happiness and embarrassment on her face. “I love you too.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***** 6 months later ******

 

Da Hee sat with her laptop on her legs which were draped over the arm of the chair she was currently occupying. “Jagi, can you get me a water please?” Yoongi called from his position at his desk. She closed her laptop and grabbed a bottle of water from the small fridge in the corner of the room, taking it to her boyfriend. “How's the song coming along?” she asked as she looked at the screen, which no longer confused her as much as it used to. Yoongi had been teaching her all about the process for making songs, and she was getting confident at using some of the programs to edit the music. He often joked that she was going to be better than him soon.

 

He pulled her onto his lap and slipped off his headphones. “It sounds good. Once I wrap up this one, the album will be good to go. You're still going to do the photoshoot, right?” he asked as he took a drink of his water. She nodded. “Of course. Who would pass up on the opportunity to take photos of the hottest composer, producer and rapper in the world?” she teased as she stole his bottle, taking a drink from it. He chuckled at her before planting a kiss onto her cheek.

 

Six months ago, love had been the furthest thing from his mind, but after Da Hee had literally crashed into his life, he wondered how he had lived up until this point without experiencing the feeling of pure love which radiated out from Da Hee. They both had their flaws, both of them far from perfect, but they balanced out each other’s flaws and picked each other up when they were down, they were a perfect fit.

 

Since the night six months ago when he had plucked up the courage to confess, his collection of memory jars had grown rapidly, he had even taken to decorating them; with Da Hee’s expert advice of course. Now, he wrote down everything that made him happy, so that he wouldn’t forget a single thing as each and every memory had become more precious to him than anything else in the world.