Chapter 8

SCIRE


 

Jongin lied within four white walls of the scientific facility within Ceres. His body lied suspended on a high bed with only a sheet covering his barren figure. The room was sealed off, allowing no entry as high tech scanners projected lasers to examine Jongin’s body.

Kyungsoo watched from a room situated to the side, a thick rectangular glass separating the two rooms. He pressed a button to activate an intercom. “Are you alright in there?”

Jongin nodded. “Continue. We don’t have much time.” The machine proceeded to scan his entire frame countless times before an intricate and detailed photo of Jongin’s anatomy shown on the screen.

Following the scan, a silver and black robotic arm descended from the ceiling and injected Jongin’s arm with a sharp needle drawing blood from his veins. When it completed the task, it disappeared into the ceiling once again and the bed lowered until it was twenty-five inches from the ground.

The door to the room was unsealed and Kyungsoo walked inside as Jongin maneuvered to a sitting position.

“Well, they have you in the system…” Kyungsoo said.

“Not for long, after this is all over, I’m getting that vial.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. “Will they be able to make the weapon in time?”

“My blood was the last piece to the puzzle. Making the weapon shouldn’t take long. The greatest scientist on this planet have gathered. Not to mention Hermon is there too and well, you know how that will go. They will do it. Don’t worry.”

“Okay...and um, Jongin?”

“Yes.”

“Nice abs.” Kyungsoo peered down at the white sheet that now lied across Jongin’s lap exposing his upper body.

“Get out so I can change.”

“Fine.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo pressed the button on his communication device in his ear and whispered into the transmitter. “They’re here.”

Junmyeon and Jongdae both received the notice and informed the militia of the Avitian’s arrival.

Kyungsoo waited alone in the middle of clearing in the forest as the fleet of ships descended down into the atmosphere. It was a daunting experience. The sheer dark and powering aura cloaked the ships, pulsating strong vibes that could terrorize anyone watching them disembark. It almost overwhelmed Kyungsoo, as he knew their ultimate purpose was to destroy and it was evident from the numerous kinetic cannons, launchers for missiles and other lethal weapons outlining the ships’ exterior.

He stood straight, head held high with his fingers interlaced behind his back and his feet shoulder length apart, prepared to accept his fleet as the Admiral they expected him to be.

The first person to exit was his father. Taller in stature and fuller in width, the man walked with a gait of utmost pride and authority. His dark green irises swarmed with a hunger for death and Kyungsoo briefly gulped before the man stopped inches from him.

“Father.” He bowed. “It’s a pleasure to see you.”

“Likewise.”

Sehun, in the flesh, came to a stop beside his father and bowed towards Kyungsoo. “Admiral.”

Kyungsoo gave a slight bow. He watched as the remaining soldiers filed out from the ships following in their lead—every man accounted for with a total number of twenty-five.

“So where’s the rumored Scire? I’ve only been dying to get my hands on that weapon for months.”

“It’s highly dangerous, very unstable and I would advise you take caution father. If you’d follow me, I’ll lead you to it.” Kyungseok gestured for him to lead and Kyungsoo started toward the designated building.

 

 

 

 

The structure laid out before them was an old warehouse that used to store aero carriers. Its exterior was sleek black furnished metal, highly dense and opulent—nothing could be seen inside the building, no windows or outward ventilation systems present. In all essence, it was an enclosed box structure with only one exit/entrance inside the entire facility.

“Alright, we’ve arrived. I’ve kept the weapon in this warehouse because it’s difficult to control.”

“Well, lead us inside.” His father said.

“Sure.” Kyungsoo his heels to lead them inside the warehouse. From the receiver of his earpiece Junmyeon’s voice blared through, frantic.

“What are you doing?! You’re not supposed to go inside! Kyungsoo get out of their now!”

The soldiers followed inside one after the other, their gazes searching every corner of the empty room for Scire. When everyone entered the building, Kyungsoo closed the door quickly, locking and sealing it from the inside.

“Kyungsoo, what is the meaning of this?!” His father roared, expression grave and stance ready to attack.

“I think it’s time father...” Kyungsoo pulled out a small detonator from his pocket, and on the tip of the rectangular device was a minuscule red button which activated the bioweapon.

“Kyungsoo what are you doing?!” Jongin’s winded breaths blasted through the receiver. “What are you doing?!”

“He has something in his hand!” Jongdae yelled.

“Where did he get that?! How does he have the detonator?” Junmyeon’s voice shook with revelation.

Jongin flew like the wind from out the forest nearby to the building. He fumbled with the door trying to pry it open but to no avail. His desperate hands slammed against the door repeatedly, pounding hard and relentlessly.

“N-no-no-no—K-kyungsoo, don’t do this. Please!” Jongin’s yell could be heard from outside the building wall.

“Kyungsoo stop!” Junmyeon yelled.

“P-please Kyungsoo.” Jongdae’s voice was on the brink of cracking.

Kyungsoo plucked the communication device from his ear and tossed it aside. “It’s time for us to pay for our sins…” He closed his eyes.

“Kyungsoo! Do not press that button!” His father yelled. The remaining soldiers were shocked into silence and stood immobilized by the traitorous behavior from the admiral—the one who controlled their fleet.

Jongin rampaged against the door, his knuckles bleeding crimson after every punch. “Kyungsoo!” He pounded again. “Kyungsoo!”

When Kyungsoo’s eyes snapped open, his thumb pressed against the button. Immediately, the invisible, infectious, odorless and tasteless spores seeped into the air from the vents on the other side of the room. The deadly agent took effect quickly, the soldier closest to the vent collapsed to the ground, his body cold and motionless.

Sehun's arms flew to his throat, choking on the agent that pulverized his insides causing his eyes to bleed red and his body to shut down. He too, fell to the ground—lifeless.

One after the other, they dropped to the ground the biological weapon taking effect, quick and precise, attacking their bodies and to the very organs which sustained them.

Kyungseok dropped to one knee, his eyes strained and wide settled on his only son who he held such pride in. His face stunned into a shocked expression, the betrayal unfathomable. The light dimmed from his eyes and his body toppled over to the ground, never moving again.

Kyungsoo was the last alive, the furthest from the vents which exposed the agent. However, he gradually felt the bioweapon slither inside of his throat. Slow and torturous, it crawled down his trachea and into his lungs robbing him of his very breath. His hands flew to his neck, scratching and tearing at the flesh, leaving streaks of blood underneath the nails that dug inside his skin.

The prickling and sharp pain that tortured his insides was the epitome of agony, suffering and torment all condensed into one sensation that made him wish he were dead. He collapsed to his knees, his vision began to dim as black rings edged along the white of his eyes until all that consumed him was darkness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Darkness.

The deep ebony and the steepness of the seemingly infinite abyss encompassed everything. His mind lingered on the threshold of awareness, his senses coming back to him in fragments of consciousness, slicing through his muffled haze, bringing only fleeting moments of clarity.

“Kyungsoo?” Jongin kneeled over Kyungsoo’s body, his palm resting on his cheek moving in gentle . “Come back to me, please.” Jongin’s voice was so comforting, so warm and so caring that Kyungsoo wanted to hear his voice every waking moment of every day.

Jongin continuously rubbed his head, his palm flowing gently through Kyungsoo’s hair. He prayed and hoped the Avitian would return from his unconscious state.

A droplet of a wet substance hit Kyungsoo’s cheek—then another, and another. He felt the tears as they fell one after another, Jongin’s voice becoming much more clear with each passing second.

“He’s not waking.” Jongin’s eyes continued to blink, blurred by tears, those soft fingers threading through Kyungsoo’s hair now shaking. “Kyungsoo please.” He whispered, desperation hanging from the end of his words. “Please.” He airily choked out, his shoulder sinking in hopelessness.

Junmyeon and Jongdae stood around Kyungsoo who lied on the green forest floor outside the warehouse. Junmyeon’s thumb was situated between his teeth as he anxiously waited, and Jongdae couldn’t keep still, pacing back and forth hoping it would quicken the process.

Kyungsoo wanted to speak, to tell them that he was here, but his body didn’t allow him. He desperately tried to move his lips and after various attempts, his body finally began to react.

Gradually, his eyelids raised, and Jongin’s blurred face came into his view. He smiled lopsidedly before whispering, “Hey.”

“Hey.” Jongin whispered back.

“How did you…”

“Like I do with everything else,” Jongin said. “I blasted a hole in the wall.” He continued to Kyungsoo’s hair. “I’m so glad you’re okay. I thought I’d lost you.”

“I’m here...I’ll be okay.” With great effort, Kyungsoo reached up to rub the tears from Jongin’s eyes and placed his palm on the side of his face after. The nomad rested his hand atop of Kyungsoo’s as he looked into his eyes.

“How can you be so sure?” Jongin asked.

Kyungsoo’s cheeks stretched a gentle smile onto his features. “Because life has a strange way of making music.” Jongin chortled in the way of an airy expel, his tears pouring from a pool of happiness now.

“Music...” Jongin smiled bright, his eyes curving and forming myriads of crinkles from the corners. It was the brightest smile rivaling that of the two suns above. Kyungsoo reveled in it, a smile so sincere, so loving and so perfect.

“Kiss me Jongin.” He said as he stared into those glimmering gold irises filled with love. The other silently leaned forward connecting their lips in a delicate kiss. Out poured their emotions into the atmosphere; longing, acceptance and finally understanding. Unconditional to a fault, the emotions exchanged were the purest of them all. Kyungsoo felt the love Jongin had from the sheer motions of those lips which hypnotized him completely. Their silent sighs and hushed smiles dancing to the rhythms of their souls which mingled to form one. He’d never felt more complete, more whole than in this very moment. Jongin was his everything and he felt foolish for wanting to throw it all away.

“I’m sorry Jongin and I love you.” Kyungsoo said looking into his eyes. “I’ve been meaning to tell you that.”

“I haven’t forgiven you for this…”

“I know but...you will.” Kyungsoo his cheek. “You will.”

“Okay! So not to break up this lovely moment, but we really should get him to like a hospital.” Jongdae said and they both looked at him in disbelief. He threw his arms up in defense. “I’m only concerned for his life here. No need to get all touchy.”

Junmyeon grabbed Jongdae by the wrist and pulled his brother away from the engaging duo. Kyungsoo’s head fell onto the grass, a bubble of humor swelled in his chest and tumbled through his lips. Jongin joined in on the laughter as well.

“He’s right, we should get you back.” Jongin said.

“Okay.”

 

 

 

2 Months Later

 

 

 

 

“Hurry up Jun and Min, the transmission is coming through!”

“Okay, okay coming!” Junmyeon called from the kitchen of his apartment. Minseok walked inside the living room and took a seat on the couch, Jongdae placing himself onto his lap immediately after.

The video transmission popped up on the television screen showing Kyungsoo sitting in his chair at the control panel of the ship with Jongin standing beside him.

“Jongdae! Junmyeon! Minseok!” Kyungsoo waved a hand enthusiastically and the nomad gave a slight wave, as silent as ever.

“Kyungsoo and Jongin!” They all yelled in unison matching him in energy.

"How’s everything on Simradia? We miss you guys.” Kyungsoo smiled.

“It’s going alright, you’re not missing much of anything.” Jongdae said.

“What about you guys? Where are you headed to now?” Minseok asked.

“Well, we had to take a little detour first…” Kyungsoo’s eyes shifted to the left and out from that side of the screen Baekhyun jumped into the frame, waving both hands.

“Baekhyun?!” They yelled in unison again.

“What? How? What…” Jongdae stuttered, flabbergasted and thoroughly perplexed.

“You guys. Jongin and Kyungsoo returned to Phos to save me. You should have seen them! It was wild! They were like whoosh, bam, ha!” Baekhyun made nonsensical fighting maneuvers. “Woopah! Taking down guards like I've never seen. I swear it was crazy. I couldn’t do anything being an engineer but stare in awe and it was amazing like Jongin wasn’t even fazed by the guards…” Jongin pushed and ushered him off the screen and Baekhyun’s voice decreased in volume the further he became from the video transmission.

“So you went back for him, huh? I take it, that was your idea?” Jongdae asked.

“Actually, it was both of our ideas.” Kyungsoo laughed. “But well, it wasn’t a hard task. Baekhyun was locked inside of a correctional facility. Bust a few walls, knocked out a few guards. Easy.”

“You haven’t changed.” Minseok laughed.

“So what’s next for the unstoppable duo?” Junmyeon asked.

“Well once we drop off Baekhyun somewhere in the Milky Way Galaxy, me and Jongin are headed to deal with Avitian fleets that are still trying to farm weapons. We are also venturing to different galaxies and learning many things. You know how nomads are. Never staying in one place for too long.”

“But I thought Jongin was the nomad…” Jongdae said.

“I’m with Jongin and he’s my home. Wherever he goes, I’ll go.”

“I’m happy for you two.” Minseok said.

“Thank you.” Jongin said as he returned to the screen bending over so that they could have a better look at his face. “You guys stay well and practice those combat skills. Be safe and we’ll talk to you in another 2 months.”

“Bye you guys, and hope to talk to you soon!” Kyungsoo waved about to end the transmission.

“Wait!” Baekhyun came onto the screen once again. “No but seriously, save me. These guys are insane! They’re daredevils who aren’t afraid of anything. I’m living on a prayer every day. And th—”

The transmission cut during Baekhyun’s sentence, and the three Simradians laughed while shaking their heads.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The lush green flora surrounded the small clearing. Spattered amongst the large leaves and varied plants were hues of vibrant flowers. Lavender and violet blended together to create a spectrum of purple; alongside them were bright red poppies, dancing like fire in the wind as they stood proudly above the rest, reaching tall and trying to touch the towering, orange, exotic flowers which were giant in their appearance but beautifully complemented by the umber leaves of the trees.

As his body rested upon a patch of grass, his spoon dipped inside the cylindrical can pulling out beans along with it. Jongin sat on his left finishing what was left of their canned food in silence as did Kyungsoo until soft chuckles tumbled from his lips prompting the other to look toward him, amusement dancing in his gaze. "What is it?" He asked.

“Remember when I didn’t know what these ‘beans’ were?” Kyungsoo smiled as he briefly reminisced. This place reminded him of Simradia, the place where he found a home in Jongin but this time, as his boots dug into the Earth, he was met by fertile black soil, not a rusted piece of metal in sight. The air held something fresh and rejuvenating, still damp from yesterday's rain; he could smell the nature that surrounded him.

“You didn’t know a lot of things back then...” Jongin wistfully looked at the tree trunks that were thick and robust, vines creeping and wrapping around them, small white flowers beginning to bloom from the sprouting stems.

“And that never bothered you, did it?”

“I’d do it all over again, Kyungsoo. Memories don’t last as long as people do. And with or without your memories, you are still yourself. And for that, I am grateful.”

“Hey Jongin.” The nomad turned his head and his lips were instantly seized by Kyungsoo’s. Taken by surprise, Jongin inhaled through his nose before sighing with his entire body and deepening the kiss. Their lips molding and caressing, sharing a moment of pure bliss wrapped in the comfort of each other’s presence. Kyungsoo pulled back first, hesitant to let go because kissing Jongin was the single best thing the entire universe had to offer. “I love you more than words could ever convey. You as you are, is all I’ll ever need.”

Jongin smiled, a gesture that came easily to him these days. “I better be.” He stood with a signature swing of his cannon over his shoulder. “Are you ready to do this?”

“Always.” Kyungsoo tucked the hilt of his energy sword inside its holster as he stood, prepared to embark on a new journey on an unknown planet. However this time, there were two things he had which he didn’t before: the precious memories which he learned to cherish, alongside the unconditional love that was Jongin always by his side.