the different feelings

The Story of A Cat and A Dog

Woohyun drags his suitcase and the enters the elevator, feeling relieved that he has finally arrived at the dormitory. He regrets being stingy and refusing to take a taxi because it will cost too much—he ended up using the MRT and having to drag his big suitcase up and down the station’s stair, which was very tiring even though he is fit. At one point, he ended up throwing his suit case down stairs so he didn’t have to drag it down, which ended up with a lot of people giving him weird stares.

Now though, once he arrived, the excitement he has been feeling for the past few weeks is coming back. He is finally starting college after postponing it for a year, just because he wasn’t sure about what he wanted to do and wants to relax after the hellish last year of high school. Now he is finally sure about what he wants to do and can’t wait to start the new chapter of his life. He really wishes that university life will be much more fun than high school life.

But the main reason he feels happy is that he is finally living on his own, free from his family!

…Okay, he is not completely free. He is still bounded by dormitory rules and he has to share a room with someone else, but at least he is freer than he ever was. He could have just rented a room instead of living in a dorm, but that will cost much more than a dormitory which means he will have to work a lot to pay for it. He has no problem sharing a room with someone else, they just need to get along!

He is lucky that turns out his roommate is one of his friends’ friend, so they have a connection at least. Sunggyu says that this roommate is a good boy—quoting him, “He is shy in front of strangers, a little naïve, he may look a little stoic but he is very nice and warm, it will take a while for him to open up to you, just be patient if he’s too quiet.”

Woohyun can understand that, he has dealt with some introverted people. What he doesn’t understand is Sunggyu suddenly warning him, “Don’t fall in love with him!”

So of course, Woohyun said, “Who says I am going to fall in love with him?”

“Me!”

“Why?”

“Because you fell in love easily! I don’t want you to break his heart once your temporary crush is finished!“

Of course, Woohyun ended up stopping talking to Sunggyu after that and pouting for the whole day. Yeah, he admits that sometimes he liked someone too quickly and confessing without giving it a thought, only to realize that he didn’t really like that person. But it only happened a few times! Why would Woohyun fall in love with that roommate anyway? From how Sunggyu described him, he doesn’t sound like Woohyun’s type. He doesn’t like someone who is shy. It’s not fun.

When the elevator stops at floor twelve, Woohyun happily gets out, anticipating the moment he will meet his new roommate. He slowly searches for room 1208, grinning wildly when he finds him. He presses the button beside the door to notify the person inside that he is outside. Apparently, the roommate has been here since yesterday, and even though Woohyun has his own card key, he doesn’t want to enter without any permission.

He waits for a while but no one opens the door, making him wonder if there is no one inside. He presses the button again, deciding that if after he presses it three times, he is just going to enter. Luckily, this time he hears the beep sound from the door, before it finally slowly opens, revealing the person behind slowly.

Woohyun takes a look at the person, looking at his bed hair first before slowly looking down…and now he gets why Sunggyu warns him not to fall in love with this guy.

How does someone who just woke up from sleep can look this cute? Woohyun is weak to cute things! Even though his hair is messy, this guy still looks really good and his face looks so smooth, making Woohyun wants to touch his face. He rubs his eyes sleepily and Woohyun melts inside.

“Hello?” the person says, still sounding sleepy.

Woohyun can only stutters, “Hello…Angel.”

 

***

 

Myungsoo has been a nervous wreck for days. It has gotten to the point where he feels stomach pains from stress. He feels scared of a lot of things, now that he has to live without his family nearby. For his whole life, he has been living with his family and depending on them, he is not sure if he can take care of himself well. He also has to adapt to a new environment quickly, when his environment has always been consistent for his whole life. He is scared that he is not good enough to handle life on his own.

He is scared that he wouldn’t fit in, that he won’t have any friends here. Unlike in schools, his classmates will change a lot and he has to get to know them and become friends quickly. The problem is, friending people is not something he can easily do, he needs time before he can get along with people. It’s not easy. More than scared that he won’t be able to have friends in classes, he feels even more scared that he won’t get along with his roommate. After all, they will have to live together for at least one year, they can only change roommates next year. How if his roommate doesn’t like him? How if they don’t get along? It will make living uncomfortable. That’s why he has been extra nervous since yesterday since the roommate will come today.

He is a little lucky that turns out Sunggyu knows his roommate, even telling him about this person. What Myungsoo remembers the most from Sunggyu’s description is, “He is not exactly loud, but he talks a lot, even to strangers. He is very friendly, so it might be too much for you at first. But if you can get used to Sungyeol, you can definitely get used to him.”

For some reasons, it scares Myungsoo even more that his roommate and he seems like a totally opposite person.

He has been waiting for the roommate to come since the morning, since he can hardly sleep last night. He is unlucky that the person came when he finally managed to fall asleep after waiting for so long. He ends up looking messy. Now he is sitting in his bedroom, watching the person unpacking his suitcase and putting his clothes into the wardrobe. Their room is quite small, there is a small bathroom, a big wardrobe for both of them, two desks, and two beds on each bedside. If it’s they can’t get along, it will be hell for the both of them.

“My name is—” Myungsoo starts to introduce himself once the person finishes unpacking, but gets cut off.

“Kim Myungsoo, I know,” the roommate says, turning his head to him and smiles, “I am Nam Woohyun, even though we are in the same year, I am one year older than you.”

Why does he mention that? Is that some code for Myungsoo to treat him with respect and be formal with him? Myungsoo doesn’t understand. Or is he reading too much into it?

“Ah, should I call you Hyung then?” Myungsoo asks, before belatedly realizes that it was not exactly formal. Woohyun looks a little surprised at Myungsoo’s proposal, making Myungsoo shrinks back and says, “If it’s not a problem for you.”

“Of course it’s okay!” Woohyun quickly says, “I am going to call you Myungsoo, then.”

Myungsoo nods. At least this is not as awkward as he thought it would be. Woohyun walks toward his bed and then plops down, complaining loudly, “Ah, I am so tired, I think I am going die. And school hasn’t even started yet.”

“You should rest, first, then,” Myungsoo advises.  Maybe it’s better that his roommate is someone who talks a lot rather than someone like Myungsoo, because if Myungsoo has to deal with another version of him, it might be more uncomfortable. It’s better that it’s someone who can keep the conversation going.

“Actually, I want to explore the campus for now so I can get familiar with it,” Woohyun tells him, “Have you gone around the area?”

Myungsoo shakes his head, “No, I haven’t.”

He was too nervous to do anything.

“Then, do you want to go with me?” Woohyun offers, “I don’t really like walking alone.”

Myungsoo looks up and sees Woohyun’s hopeful eyes staring at him, making him feel a little uncomfortable. Honestly, he is not in the mood to walk around, right now. But Woohyun’s staring makes him feel like he should go. And maybe this is a good opportunity to see if they can click well with each other.

So, even though he avoids Woohyun’s stare, he says, “Okay.”

 

To Be Continued