Texting is so Hard

How Come I Didn’t See It Before? - Sunggyu

“Ah!” The waitress cooed sweetly, “She is working today but she is with some costumers, when she isn’t busy I will send her over.”

“Perfect!” Sungyeol smiled as the waitress took out her notebook at the ready to take their order.

Jotting down their food orders, she smiled and ensured the guys that it wouldn’t be too long of a wait. Turning on her heels, she made her way back to the kitchen to put in her order, on her way she stopped and tapped your shoulder as you were printing out a receipt for one of your tables.

“Do you see that group of guys over there?” Tae whispered to you as she placed the order on one of the overhanging clips.

“Yeah, what about them?” You quickly glanced up as your fingers awaited the printing receipt.

“They apparently know you and they were wondering if you could make an appearance at their table?” Tae began to organize the menu’s behind the counter as an excuse to talk to you for a moment or two longer.

“They know me?” You lifted your eyes and took a gander at the group of guys, a small smile began to grow on your pursed lips.

“Go over and say hi” Tae nudged your shoulder, seeing the hint of a smile on your lips.

“I will, just let me drop this off at the table first” You slid the receipt into the small black notebook before rounding the counter and heading to the customers table first before making sure that they were taken care of before you quietly shuffled over to the table of seven.

Recognizing the faces as you closed in on the group of men, you ruffled the hair of one of the members while you halted at their table.

“_____!” The guys cooed your name in unison causing a bright smile to curl onto your lips.

“Hey, I haven’t seen you guys in a while” You slid your hands into your apron and shifted the majority of your weight to one of your feet while cocking the other.

“We came here to kidnap you! You’re working too hard!” Sungyeol beamed with a gummy smile shining from ear to ear.

Sticking both of your hands out and holding them together, one of your bright smiles matched his, “You’re free to take me.”

“Okay then” Dongwoo stood up and came over to you, trying to make an escape his arms wrapped around your waist, laughter spilled from your lips as he lifted you up and returned you to the table.

Sitting in between Dongwoo and Myungsoo, you rested your hands on the table as if you were going to interrogate them, “So… what brings you here?”

“We were hungry and Sunggyu wanted to see you” Hoya spat across the table, his sweet smile showing between his lips while his brown eyes moved to Sunggyu who gave him a death glare.

Moving your gaze from Hoya to Sunggyu, you couldn’t help but smirk at the most attractive of member in your eyes. Kim Sunggyu.

“He has a point” Sungjong chimed in as Sunggyu shot him a glare while a hiss slipped between his teeth. You eyes continued to reside on Sunggyu until your name filled the restaurant.

“I-I have to go, it was nice seeing you guys, we should get together sometime outside of our work hours” You suggested as Dongwoo stood up so that you could slid past him. Waving to the guys as your goodbye, you trotted to the back.

Sunggyu followed you with his eyes as your hair swung from side to side with every stride.

“Hey, I think she likes you” Myungsoo smiled as his fingers played with a napkin that resided on the edge of the table.

“What makes you say that?” Sunggyu picked up an advertisement that rested on the table, averting his eyes from the six pairs that eventually all landed on him.

“She ruffled your hair, man” Woohyun leaned closer to Sunggyu, “That obviously says something, I mean she touched your hair.”

“You don’t even allow that much ruffling from the coordi noona’s” Sungjong added quietly

“And she kept glancing at you” Sungyeol added while batting his eyes trying to imitate a girl hopelessly in love, earning and shove from Sunggyu.

“And? Girls glance at us all the time” Sunggyu tried to reason.

“Yeah but she had that look in her eyes” Myungsoo added quietly

“What look?” Sunggyu questioned slowly falling utterly clueless as to what had just occurred.

“You know… that look that girls get when they are infatuated with someone, that undivided attention, that unbridled passion that is begging to be seen, that hope that he will like you back.” Myungsoo began to explain.

“You guys are in too deep” Sunggyu chuckled as he leaned back in his chair, hooking one of his arms over the back of his chair as his torso twisted to compensate for the position.

“I don’t know, maybe you are just in denial” Woohyun shrugged his shoulders.

“There is only true way to find out” Dongwoo patted the top of the table lightly with his hand

“How is that?” Sunggyu was now just amused as to what the other guys were spitting his way.

“Ask her out on a date” Dongwoo, Woohyun, Hoya and Sungjong all suggested at once

“Psh, you want me to ask that reserved down-to-earth girl with a serious attitude towards the world out? You have to be joking.” Sunggyu giggled with an uneasy smile showing on his lips.

“Yes” The rest of them sang in unison

“Here you are” The waitress returned with their orders of food.as the guys attention turned towards the food and off of the topic of girls.

Returning home after dinner, the guys went their separate ways, some grabbing their laptops while others put in a movie to watch. Sunggyu moseyed back to his room, the interaction at the restaurant with you reeling through his mind on replay, s words echoing as his thoughts began to ebb away as his fingers unlocked his phone and lazily searched for your number.

Finding it easily in his phone, your name almost haunted him as it sat there on the lit screen, your number was a lighter shade of grey  right below your name as he opened up a new text message with your name as the recipient.

Searching for the right words, his thumbs aimlessly typed various openings to try and start a conversation with you. Pressing his fingers on the delete button, the words disappeared as he then started fresh and wrote something else. Repeating the typing and deleting actions over and over again, Sunggyu laid back on his bed as his phone rested next to him, his arms sprawled out beside his body. A frustrated sigh spilled from his lips as he wanted to text you but not knowing what to say.

Time ticked on as he finally picked up his phone and opened one of his social media apps. Searching your name, he found your profile and began to look through the pictures. With time, a bright broad smile curled on his lips, focusing in on your smile and your eyes that always were so animated and lifelike. Almost as if they brought a special light into every moment that you were present.

Building up the courage, he returned to his texting app and entered your name into the recipient line.

I hope you had a good rest of your day at work, I just wanted to say that it was really good to see you today. -Gyu

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes for a moment while his thumb hit the send button. His heart failed to cease the rapid beating within his chest awaiting a reply from you. Focusing on faint word at the bottom of the colored conversation bubble it changed from sent to read.

A bubble appeared as three dots began to work in a pattern, indicating that you were typing on the other end.

It was really good to see you too! We should catch up sometime, just the two of us?

The sent message appeared on Sunggyu’s phone as his eyes read over your entry. A smile curled onto his lips for a second before he shook it away. An anxiously nervous feeling began to arise in his stomach as his fingers froze. Grasping at every word he could think of, he had a hard time formulating a response.

I’d really like that, how about you text me when you are free and we can get together? - Gyu

Watching those dots dance, he tapped his thumbs on the side of his phone, wondering if he was too bold.

That would work for me! What would we do?

Anything you have wanted to do? -Gyu

I could surprise you? If that is okay that is…

Go for it! - Gyu

Alright, I will let you know :) I have an early morning, so can I talk to you later?

Sure, have a good night - Gyu

Standing up from his bed, a bright smile shined on his lips while he kept hold of his phone. Shuffling out of his bedroom, he made his way to the kitchen for a drink

“Someone’s happy” Myungsoo sang, lifting his eyes from his notebook with chicken scratch between the lines.

“He must be talking to someone” Hoya teased, pulling one of his earbuds out of his ears and glancing up at Sunggyu while he pulled a bottle water out from the fridge.

“Was it, _____?” Sungyeol chimed in as Sunggyu froze for a slight moment.

“It was!!” Songjong bounced with his angelic smile instantly shining.

“W-What makes you so sure?” Sunggyu questioned while he twisted off the cap of his water.

“Who else would you be texting?” Woohyun padded out from the hallway and took an empty chair in the living room.

“Sooooo what was said?” Dongwoo leaned over the back of the couch while all eyes slowly turned towards Sunggyu awaiting the anticipated story.

“I just texted her and said that it was so nice to see her and then she said that we should catch up sometime.” Sunggyu shrugged his shoulder trying to make it not seem like a big deal.

“Did you set something up?”, “What are you going to do with her?” Questions were thrown around by the members becoming all jumbled before hitting Sunggyu’s ears.

“She said that she would contact me when she is free” Sunggyu held up his hands in defense.

The feeling in the room deflated as the guys sunk back into their seats.

“Well that killed any chance…” Hoya bluntly stated

“W-What do you mean?” Sunggyu stammered his eyes widening

“The ball is in her court, most likely she won’t text you to go do something because she doesn’t want to initiate anything” Woohyun explained simply, sitting back in his chair.

“It will be a miracle if she texts you back and wants to do something” Myungsoo quietly added

“Yah, she is different from the other girls that you guys have dated” Sunggyu defended as he muscles tensed.

“All girls are the same” Sungyeol shook his head, unpausing his video game that he was playing.

The room gradually fell silent, Sunggyu retreated to his room and rested on his bed. Pulling up the conversation again, he reread it over and over a few times before setting his phone aside for the night.