The Rumble

Understudy

They held their final pose for a few moments, the nearly empty auditorium swallowing their heavy breathing. Moonbyul risked a glance down at Yoona and Krystal, but all she could see past the hot stage lights were their silhouettes.

“How was that?” she asked, finally releasing the others from their positions as she lowered her arms.

The question seemed to wake Yoona from a trance as she stood up out of her seat. “That was great! Really! I’m impressed, guys!” The rest of the cast wore satisfied expressions as they collapsed where they stood, glad to finally have that number out of the way.

“That’s acts 1 and 2 down,” Krystal muttered as she flipped through her well-worn script. “That just leaves… most of 3.”

Yoona gave her a chiding look. “Oh, come on. They worked hard.”

“Yeah, we’re in the groove now,” Moonbyul said as she helped Yongsun back to her feet. “I’m sure we’ll get there in no time.”

Krystal’s expression remained skeptical. “I hope so. Don’t forget we still need to finish the costuming, make the fliers, sell tickets, set aside time for the tech rehearsal…”

Yoona put a hand on her shoulder. “We’ll make it,” she assured her with a smile. We’ve got more help this season than ever before, and some of them are genuinely interested in the work!”

“They’re interested in something,” Krystal muttered, but she let it go.

In the wings, Yooa turned to Eunae for a high five, and the quiet girl obliged. “I think our work here is done,” she said with a satisfied smile.

“Wait, you’re not leaving?” Seulgi asked suddenly, pushing off the wall she had been leaning up against. ‘Tony’ hadn’t been in the big number the others had just performed, and Seulgi had been watching, enthralled at the hard work everyone was putting in.

“Why not?” Yooa asked over the noises of the stage crew switching to a new scene. “The rest of the play is just a bunch of singing - this was the last of the group choreography.”

Seulgi hesitated as she found herself searching for a reason for them to stick around. “We couldn’t have done it without you. It seems like it’d be a shame if you weren’t around to see how the rest of it comes out. You’ve been here so much, you might as well be a part of the club, too!”

Yooa’s expression took on a note of concern. “We’ve already got our own club duties, Seulgi. You remember the Dance Team, right?” she added, with perhaps a little more vexation than she had originally intended.

“Yooa…” Eunae murmured in surprise.

“No,” Yooa went on. “Seulgi even moved our practice time because of this play, but she still comes in late.” She looked over at Seulgi with a light frown. “You’re our captain. It’s your dance we’re performing at Nationals, but it just seems like… you don’t care.”

Seulgi was stunned, and in the intervening silence, the three of them realized they had drawn more than a few eyes to their argument. She hung her head and nodded sheepishly. “I’m sorry. You’re right, I’m not even in this scene… we should go to practice.”

Joy followed Wendy’s gaze as it lingered on the three dancers leaving the auditorium. “What do you think they meant by ‘nationals’?” Wendy asked absently.

“How am I supposed to know?” Joy fussed petulantly. “But it seems like she needs to get her priorities straight.”

“Hey,” Irene interrupted, though her gaze was also fixed on the exit. “... Cut her some slack.” She was surprised when she finally turned back towards the stage and saw nearly the entire company staring at her in shock. “What? I can’t acknowledge that she may be overextended?”

“You’re… not wrong,” Yoona admitted, “But I never thought you’d say so.”

+++


As Seulgi meekly poked her head in through the gym’s double doors, Yooa smirked and announced, “Caesar returns from Gaul!” No one knew what that meant, but they did seem surprised by Seulgi’s presence. Perhaps they would all benefit from some history tutoring.

“Uh, hey guys! How’s it going?” Seulgi laughed nervously. After the chastizing she had received earlier.

The team looked to Yooa, who had taken a position in front of the others. “We were just thinking about rehearsing. It’s so late already that there doesn’t seem to be much point in doing a full practice, but now that you’re here…”

Seulgi looked at them all, seeing the general disappointment on their faces, the low energy, the lack of engagement… She had done this. She was their captain, and she had neglected them. And worse, she had asked Yooa and Eunae to help her with her side project, taking away even more talent and attention away from the team. Were they really going to be ready for Nationals in time like this?

Seulgi set her bag down on the floor and clapped her hands. “That’s right, I’m here, so start your warm-ups. Let’s do this right.”

A smile slowly broke out across Yooa's face as she crossed her arms. “You’re not too tired?”

Seulgi was already on the floor with her legs stretched out in front of her. “Too tired to do my own routine?” Yooa scoffed, but before she could begin her own stretches, Seulgi caught her attention. “Hey. After this, we should talk about making you co-captain.”

Yooa stared down at her blankly, then pointed to herself. “Huh? Me?”

Seulgi nodded. “With the way you’ve been filling in for me lately, you’re more of a captain than I am,” she admitted.

Yooa turned this way and that as she sought some place on the gym floor to focus her gaze. “Let’s talk after Nationals,” she murmured. “Let’s just keep things the way they are for the next couple of weeks and focus. No more distractions, okay?”

Seulgi smiled up at her, that characteristic beam that scrunched up her whole face. “Yeah!” But then she paused. “... Wait, ‘a couple weeks’? When is Nationals, anyway?”

+++


“Oh, stop it, you big baby.” Yeri was caught between rubbing Seulgi’s back as the poor girl sobbed in her lap, and responding to her messages on her phone. “It’s hard to type with one hand.”

“B-b-but…!”

“It’ll be fine,” Yeri insisted.

“How could you keep this from me? How long were you going to let me live this lie?”

Yeri sighed and gave up on her phone. “Oh, it's my fault? You could have looked at a calendar at any time this semester.”

“I thought you were supposed to be my agent!” Seulgi pushed up from Yeri and shook her repeatedly. “How did you not notice opening night and Nationals are both on Halloween??”

“I- live- in- the- moment-!” Yeri answered between shakes before she finally shoved Seulgi away. “Besides, I already came up with a solution - you really need to trust me more!”

“You did?” Seulgi sniffled as she wiped her eyes.

“Yeah, it’s simple,” Yeri shrugged. “The competition’s in the afternoon, but the play isn’t until the evening. There’s plenty of time!”

“But it’s three cities over! Are you sure?”

Yeri sighed, but stopped herself, seeing Seulgi’s distress. She was fully aware that her poor friend was suffering because of her own bullying. She reached over and patted Seulgi on the head. “Totally! And besides, even if you don’t make it back in time, isn’t that what Wendy’s for? That’s what an understudy does.”

Seulgi nodded, slowly at first, then with more confidence as she let the idea sink in. “Yeah… yeah, you’re right.”

“I know. And honestly, she’s a better actor than you, anyway.”

“Hey!”

+++


It wasn’t an ideal plan, but it was one that suited Seulgi well: ignore the problem and hope for the best, though she did feel that the others should know about her predicament. The first member of the Drama Club she was able to corner was Wendy, whom she was able to pull out of the auditorium with surprisingly little pretense.

Wendy had a strange sense of deja vu as Seulgi took her around the corner of the hallway, and pressed her up against the wall conspiratorily, glancing around to make sure they were completely alone. Wendy's heart was in as Seulgi finally turned a serious gaze on her, and she felt only the briefest moment of guilt as she thought of Irene and her suspicions regarding the club Arbiter’s feelings.

But what was she going to do, say no?

Wendy’s eyes fluttered closed as she prepared, though she heard Seulgi whisper, “... What are you doing?” and her eyes popped back open.

“W-what do you mean?” Wendy stuttered in embarrassment.

“I need to talk to you…” Seulgi had such a strong beginning, but her words died on her lips as she came to her point. “Yeri says it’ll be fine, but just in case, I wanted you to know…”

“...Know what?” Wendy prompted expectantly, more than happy to push past her previous mortification.

“NationalsisalsoonHalloween,” Seulgi said in a rush, wincing.

“Uh, I didn’t quite catch that,” Wendy said.

Seulgi peeked open an eye. “Nationals is also on Halloween? My big dance competition?”

WHAT???

“You have to help me tell the others!” Seulgi pleaded, sliding down onto her knees as she clung to Wendy, almost taking the smaller girl with her. “Please! They’re going to kill me!”

“Seulgi! What do you mean-!”

“Shh!!!”

Did Seulgi want her help telling the others or not? Even so, Wendy lowered her voice. “What do you mean it’s on Halloween? That’s opening night!”

“I know,” Seulgi whined pathetically, clinging to her shirt.

“What are we going to do??” Though Wendy tried to keep her voice down, she couldn’t help its pitch as it rose with her anxiety.

“Yeri says the competition should be over in time for me to get back for the show…” though Seulgi didn’t sound convinced.

“Get up! You’re stretching out my shirt!” Seulgi stood, though she still looked forlorn as she regarded Wendy.

“And she says even in the worst case, you can be Tony.”

Wendy stopped mourning the wrinkles in her shirt and looked up at Seulgi in shock. It was happening just the way Yoona had feared; she might have to stand in as Tony after all. But was that right? “No.”

“No?”

“No, it has to be you, Seulgi!” Wendy asserted. “After all your hard work? We can’t let it go to waste!”

As Wendy said it, Seulgi realized she already knew how Wendy was going to feel about the situation. Wendy had been on her side since the beginning, of course she’d want Seulgi to see things through. Though it didn’t really change anything, Seulgi felt strangely encouraged and pumped her fist.

“You’re right, we’ve got to see it through ‘til the end!”

“Well, opening night is actually just the beginning…” but Wendy let it go.

“But I should still tell the others… will you help me?” Seulgi asked, the desperate plea returning to her expression as she cornered Wendy against the wall.

“Me??” Wendy asked, her embarrassment renewed as she avoided Seulgi’s gaze.

“Yeah, could you tell Yoona? And I… I’ll tell Irene.”

It was easy enough for Wendy to agree - she had the easier assignment by far.

+++


Irene stared at the note sitting on top of her books in her locker. It wasn’t the first time she’d found something like this waiting for her, but usually the letters were addressed ‘To Irene’. This one simply said ‘Seulgi’ on it in pencil. Was it was put in her locker by mistake? Was this meant for Seulgi? But her locker wasn't anywhere near Irene's. While she she was not given to opening love letters left to her in her locker, she was overcome with a devious curiosity at the possibility of reading Seulgi’s mail and greedily snatched it out of her locker.

But as she opened it, she realized the letter was actually from Seulgi. She somehow felt tricked.

 

Irene -

Please meet me in the gym after rehearsal tomorrow, I have something I need to tell you.

- Seulgi


Irene read the bare bones message over and over again, her breathing shallower with each iteration. Was this real? A love letter from Seulgi? What was this idiot trying to do? And in the gym of all places?? Irene carefully folded the note closed again, taking pains to keep her expression as neutral as possible. If this really was a confession - or rather, an invitation to meet so that Seulgi could confess to her - couldn’t it have a little more… ceremony? A little more sentimentality?

Irene paused as she realized what she was doing, she was complaining because Seulgi was confessing to her like a bumbling oaf. With a shrill shriek, she quickly tore the note to pieces, drawing the attention of the entire hallway. How dare Seulgi presume to have feelings for her! How dare Seulgi bother her with something like this so close to opening night!

What a cliche it would be for the two leads of the play to date.

Oblivious to the eyes of those around her, Irene bit her thumb in annoyance as she recalled the conversation she had just had with Wendy. She hadn’t somehow put Seulgi up to this, had she? And why did it have her so rattled, anyway? She was Bae Irene, and this was not the first love letter she’d ever received. Maybe she should just ignore it like all the others. But surely that would have consequences on the performance. Yes, that was it. She would meet with Seulgi and hear what she had to say. For the sake of the play.

In a huff, Irene gathered her things and walked off, leaving the pieces of Seulgi’s letter scattered about the hallway.

+++


Joy was nice enough when Seulgi’s parents were around, but the moment they were alone in Seulgi’s bedroom, the mask came off and Joy slammed her textbooks on Seulgi’s desk, clearly not interested in them, nor their scheduled study session. What preoccupied Joy was quite a hot rumor, and Joy had been pleasantly surprised to catch wind of it: Seulgi had left a lovenote in Irene’s locker, and their nosy classmates had taped together the remnants Irene had left on the floor and used it to piece together their own narrative.

“So you’ve finally decided, huh?” Joy began. This was the outcome she and Yeri had been hoping for, and frankly, Joy knew it was better for everyone in the long run, but she couldn’t help feeling angered on Wendy’s behalf. And it must have shown, too, for the way Seulgi seemed to be trying to put as much distance between herself and Joy as possible.

Seulgi looked like a deer caught in the headlights, though she probably should have guessed Joy would find out. “D-decided? Yeah, I decided I’m going to do both.” She tried to sound resolute, but Joy’s shocked blinking made her hesitate.

Both?” Joy’s voice was pitched high with scandal.

“Well, yeah! I can make time. And Yeri seems to think it’ll work out…”

“Wait, Yeri’s okay with this?” What angle was that girl trying to play with this? And why was she willing to let Wendy be a… be a…

“She’s my agent after all, so I know she’ll do her best to help out.” Seulgi tried to smile confidently at the arrangement, but Joy seemed to be growing more furious with each passing moment. “You… don’t think it’ll work out?”

Work out? These are people’s feelings you’re messing with!” Joy all but shouted, only just remembering Seulgi’s parents were a few rooms away.

“I know! That’s why I need to try, I’ve made commitments to both, and I plan on holding up my end. I won’t run away, you’ll see!”

“Commitments? So Wendy knows about this? And she’s okay with it?” Joy asked, shocked. How could she have been so foolish… the past few days, Joy had thought she’d seen a change overcome Wendy. The fluttering nerves were gone, replaced by something more steady and self-assured. It was like Wendy was blossoming, but was it… because of Seulgi? She thought back to those things she had said to Wendy on that frosty morning run and it was all so… disappointing somehow.

“Yeah… she was the first one I told. I figured I should, since she’s my understudy and all… She’s going to tell Yoona for me.” The mood seemed quite heavy. Seulgi hadn’t been prepared for Joy to take the news so poorly.

“... Why tell Yoona?” Joy asked after a moment’s reflection.

“Be…cause it’s her play? In case something happens, and I don’t make it back in time, I thought it’d be better if she knew.”

“Wait, what do you mean make it back in time?”

Seulgi was confused. “Nationals is a few cities away… there’s a chance… I mean it’ll be close, but I should be able to do both. I was even thinking of bringing my costume with me so I can change in the van on the way back.”

Joy paused, considering her next words very carefully. Actually, what she was considering was wringing Seulgi’s neck. “Wait a minute, I thought this was about Irene and Wendy, but you’re telling me your stupid dance competition is on the same day as opening night?”

Seulgi gulped, but she couldn’t help taking offense at Joy’s tone. “It’s not just any dance competition, it’s Nationals! We had to win here in the city, and at regionals to even qualify! And it only happens once every two years!” Seulgi was too overcome to explain it properly, but she wasn’t going to let Joy keep walking all over her team’s hard work, not when they were already pulling more than their own weight with her distracted by the play.

Joy had the grace to refrain from commenting on the competition further, but that didn’t stop her from speaking entirely. “And so this thing with Wendy…”

“What thing?” Seulgi asked.

“... Never mind,” Joy dismissed quickly. “But you… are going to meet with Irene, right?”

Seulgi looked away and nodded. “I’ve got to. After all the work we’ve done together and, well, everything… I mean, I’m her Tony, after all.”

Joy watched her, impressed by her earnestness. All she could say to Seulgi’s sense of responsibility was, “I suppose we’ll find out.”