How I met you

The Coffee Shop

Tucked away in the corner of a side street stood a small coffee shop, enveloped in its bubble of serenity despite being located in the centre of a busy commercial area. With a distinct vintage design and comfy leather sofas accompanied by a soft jazz music backdrop, the shop was understandably popular amongst those who knew about it.

 

A chime broke through the ambience, prompting the barista inside to look up. The barista was a handsome young lady, dressed in black, the name tag pinned on her shirt read, "Moonbyul". Standing straight, her long dark hair flowed down her back and her nose crinkled as a grin formed on her face. "Back again? Couldn't resist my charms I see," she said, winking at the incoming customer.

 

The customer's hair was a light shade of brown and her eyes shone bright with eagerness. "Is Hyejin here?" she chirped, disregarding the barista's greeting.

 

"Ouch, I'm hurt. You're so cold to me Wheein," complained Moonbyul, holding a hand over her heart feigning shock.

 

"Hmm maybe you can ask Hyejin if she wants to share some of my love, but I doubt she'll be willing," cackled Wheein, revealing her signature dimple.

 

Behind Wheein stood another girl watching their exchange curiously. Sporting pink hair, she had a small mole dotted above her right eye and her lips twitched in amusement as she looked on with inquisitive eyes. Then, as if suddenly remembering she had brought someone else in with her, Wheein whirled around and presented the pink haired girl dramatically to Moonbyul.

 

"Ta-dah! This is Yongsun-unnie, I told you I have friends at work!" she exclaimed, sticking her tongue out at Moonbyul as she bounced happily next to Yongsun, earning a laugh from her companions.

 

"Hi, I'm Moonbyul. Today must be my lucky day, meeting such a pretty girl like you," Moonbyul said smoothly with a warm smile on her face, winking at Yongsun.

 

Yongsun blushed as she shyly dipped her head at Moonbyul in response, managing a small "hi".

 

"Don't worry unnie, Byulie may be more greasy than all the grease in the world but she's harmless," assured Wheein, patting Yongsun on the head. Turning back to Moonbyul, she demanded, "You still didn't answer my question, I wanna show Hyejinie Yongsun!"

 

"Pfft I thought she's your friend not your pet, besides Hyejin's not here yet so take a seat first," laughed Moonbyul. "Oh right, would you guys like anything to drink?"

 

"I want cake!" exclaimed Wheein, "you'll give me a big slice right?"

 

"Only if you show me some love," grinned Moonbyul as her greasy switch flicked on. The only reply she got from Wheein was an ugly face, who then skipped to her favourite seat, her hair bouncing in a wave as she moved.

 

"Umm I'll just have some tea, thanks," said Yongsun before sitting down and making herself comfortable next to Wheein.

 

"Alright, one cake and a tea coming right up," declared Moonbyul. As she busied herself with their orders, she couldn't help but smile as she thought about Yongsun and how cute she was when she blushed. Moonbyul knew she definitely wanted to see that again.

 

Hyejin arrived soon after. You could instantly tell how close Wheein and Hyejin were by the enthusiastic way they greeted each other. To strangers, it seemed like they hadn't seen each other for years, when in reality they had only been separated for several hours. As Wheein and Hyejin conducted their crazy greeting ritual, Moonbyul snorted at the surprise etched on Yongsun's face. Who could blame her though? Eventually, Wheein and Hyejin de-tangled themselves from each other, and introductions were made.

 

"Oh! So you're Yongsun, it's nice to finally meet you! Wheein keeps talking about how great you are I was starting to get jealous," said Hyejin.

 

"I don't think you have anything to worry about, Wheein never shuts up about you," teased Yongsun, smirking at Wheein.

 

"Hey unnie stop exposing me!" cried Wheein as she was crushed in a bear hug from Hyejin.

 

The four of them talked for a while, joking around and laughing with each other. Even though Yongsun had only just met the other two, she could feel they were going to spend more time with each other in the future and she certainly wasn't against that idea. She had initially been quite shy, but Yongsun quickly warmed up to the others. For her, they were all really easy to talk to, and she internally thanked Wheein for introducing her to such great people.

 

Throughout their conversation, Moonbyul and Yongsun's eyes frequently met, and unbeknownst to either of them, they were having the same effect on each other. Moonbyul was enjoying the reactions she was getting from Yongsun whenever she made a greasy comment, greedily wanting to see more of it. Yongsun felt butterflies in her stomach with each comment. She admitted Moonbyul really was greasy, and while she outwardly cringed, inwardly she gushed.

 

Both Wheein and Hyejin had figured something was going on between Moonbyul and Yongsun, and they smirked as they plotted together. Moonbyul and Yongsun had been so wrapped up in their teasing game with each other that neither of them noticed the other two whispering to each other while sneaking glances at them. Moments later, a nod from Wheein signalled the start of their plan.

 

"Hey, I think I'm going to close up early tonight so why don't you take Yongsun home?" Hyejin suggested to Moonbyul.

 

"I can go home by myself though?" said Yongsun questioningly.

 

"But it'll be nicer if you have some company you know?" Wheein quickly pointed out.

 

"Besides, Byulie doesn't have anything after this, right?" Hyejin chimed in, nudging Moonbyul sharply.

 

"Hm? Oh yeah sure, have fun with Wheein!" Despite Moonbyul's relaxed appearance, she was desperately trying to calm herself down inside. On one hand, she was elated at the chance to spend more time with Yongsun, but on the other she was nervous about being alone with her. By this time, Moonbyul was pretty sure she was crushing hard – not that anyone needed to know (yet). Wheein and Hyejin bid them farewell as they walked off together hand in hand, leaving Yongsun alone with her. Moonbyul quickly tidied up the coffee shop before locking it up.

 

"Sorry for the wait, even if we are friends I don't want Hyejin having a go at me for not doing my work properly, and she is paying me," said Moonbyul sheepishly.

 

"No worries, I wouldn't want to get you fired. By the way, are you hungry? Do you want to have a bite with me?"

 

Yongsun's forwardness surprised Moonbyul, but she was happy Yongsun wanted to spend more time with her as well and happily agreed. "Yeah let's go eat, any preferences?"

 

"I know just the place, leggo!" cheered Yongsun, pulling Moonbyul along. Moonbyul laughed as she allowed herself to be dragged further and further away from the coffee shop, savouring the feeling of how soft Yongsun's hand felt against her skin. She smiled fondly at the ball of excitement, and although she knew it was from the anticipation of food, Moonbyul secretly wished that part of it was also because of her.