final.

baby, don't play
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re still playing that game?” 

It was 5 o’clock in the morning and Nayoung had just finished getting ready for her schedule of the day. The only thing stopping her from leaving was the cup of java that was still brewing in the kitchen. She couldn’t function without her routine dose of caffeine, much less concentrate during interviews and whatnot. The older girl could only roll her eyes at the sight of the brunette on the couch, who was too busy trying to stuff as much Oreo’s as she can into before her character could respawn without choking, to reply Nayoung’s question. Granted, she was still as breathtaking as ever even in a simple tee and sweatpants, but it has been days since she last changed into a fresh pair of clothing. Jieqiong has been obsessed with the new ‘Call of Duty’ game that hit the gaming market very recently, barely getting any sleep since it was released. This puzzled the leader to no extent because the franchise has essentially been releasing the same product again and again, just with different concepts and slightly altered story lines. 

The floor of their group’s living room was littered with carelessly discarded snack wrappers, all thanks to Jieqiong. There were several used mugs on the petite coffee table in front of the dorm’s flatscreen television, which was mostly occupied by her slim legs, and also a single lit candle that was the main light source for the said room. Nayoung cringed at the sight of the mess; nothing irked her more than staying in a place that was filthy. At this point, she wouldn’t even be surprised if there were a few insects lurking around.

A small gasp escaped from Jieqiong’s lips as she squinted her eyes when she spotted an enemy, her index finger pressing down onto a button on the controller firmly, which activated the iron sights of the rifle in order to get more accurate shots. She let out a frustrated sigh after she lost the one-on-one battle with the random stranger while leaning the back of her head against the couch with her eyes shut tight momentarily. Once the music came back to life on the speakers again, she shot up from her 5-second-slumber and went back to slouching forward to give the game her undivided attention. Nayoung didn’t even know if Jieqiong had noticed that the leader has been standing beside her for the past few minutes, so she took a few steps forward to stand in front of the flashing television with her arms folded across her chest as she stared at the unkempt girl.

“Move,” Jieqiong whined in her usual high-pitched tone as she nudged the older girl’s thigh gently with her foot in hopes to get her out of the frame, but it was no use; she wasn’t budging, and didn’t plan to. To tell the truth, Nayoung would never admit it, but she was jealous. Yes, she found it stupid as well. Who would even be jealous of a video game? And yet, here she was, childishly blocking Jieqiong’s view so that her girlfriend would actually pay attention to her instead of killing virtual people for once. She never thought she’d say this, but Nayoung actually missed the constant attention that the girl used to give her. Be it holding hands, hugging her waist at the most random times in front of fans or even just whining for food, she missed it all. She barely had any real interactions with Jieqiong ever since she got her hands on the new game, which saddens her more than it should. Besides occasionally refilling her empty tray of Oreo’s, that is.

Jieqiong then set her controller aside to lean forward and push (or in this case, try to) the slender girl who was in the way of the television with her hands instead, but alas, her efforts turned out to be fruitless. “You’re going to ruin my K/D ratio,” she complained with an obvious frown visible on her face. It took all of Nayoung’s willpower to not give into her significant other’s puppy-like features.

“What the hell is a ‘K/D ratio’?”

“Kill/death ratio. Now can you please just move? Pretty please.”

The room was practically silent as the two of them stared at one another, with Jieqiong’s frown still evident while Nayoung kept her well known poker face on. Only the sound of constant whirring from the coffee machine that Nayoung had earlier to get her morning fix and the faint acoustic music that was emitting from a radio nearby could be heard in the background. Who even listens to relaxing songs while playing a fast-paced game? That was what Nayoung thought as well when she found out about the odd habit belonging to her own girlfriend, but she knew better than to question her as she would just get lectured while Jieqiong rambled on and on about how ‘she didn’t know good music’. She then heard Jieqiong’s character groaning and instantly knew that she had died, again. Nayoung couldn’t help but to let a small smirk form on her lips, knowing that she would give in any second now. “Fine. This is my last game.”

Those were the magic words that she had been waiting to hear. She finally stepped away with her arms still folded as she watched Jieqiong frantically pick her controller up once again to sprint away from the enemies as they drew closer. She could only scoff in disbelief before picking up a pillow to hit the couch potato’s head lightly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter