two

like a peach

Donghyuck makes what doesn't matter fade to grey.


How?

Mark asks himself that in his every waking moment, but especially when he meets eyes with the boy whose smile seems to be able to light up the entire universe... or just his lovesick self.

Just, how is that boy so perfect?

Donghyuck is someone who could always make people laugh, whether by his funny imitation of famous celebrities or the kind of pranks he enjoys playing on the homeroom teacher. He earned the title of being the clown of the class, something he takes a lot of pride in. Adults often describe him as trouble- he was chaos; and Mark believes them.

Donghyuck is a lot of trouble, because Mark finds himself thinking of the said boy too many times to keep track. He's so much trouble with that bright smile of his that Mark swears it was what dared him to fall in love with Donghyuck. Mark doesn't know why he accepted the challenge.

It was a warm and orange morning, when Mark Lee fell in love with his best friend.

 

 

Sitting at the edge of the jetty, Mark swinged his legs back and forth happily above the waters. The rain was finally gone after a long... who knows how many hours. He felt bad on the inside that the two of them hardly got to cycle although it wasn't his fault since he couldn't control the weather. Mark looked over to his side to see a Donghyuck who was humming quite contentedly. He then took a deep breath before dramatically spreading his arms out like wings, then breathing out. Mark did the same thing because the air at six am was certainly fresher than normal, or he just thought it was fun to do so. But soon enough the pair of best friends were competing to see who could hold their breath for the longest. Having poked each other's weak ticklish spots constantly to make sure no one gets to win, the two were breathless from laughing so much.

Then, for whatever reason Mark wished he knew how to stop it, he noticed how the ends of Donghyuck's eyes would crinkle slightly when he smiled, but enough to make him look like the happiest boy ever. He then noticed his perfect set of white teeth that was always shyly covered by his small, but not this time. He was smiling so widely, and laughing so brightly.

God, he's so blinding.

Mark felt his heart squeeze a little. (Just a little, this time.)

 

 

"Hey, Hyuck?" Mark called out as he stared at the far end of the sea, squinting when he saw the silhouette of seagulls. He feared that if he glanced at Donghyuck one more time his lungs would give way.

"Yeah?" Came a soft reply, and Mark felt his heart get squeezed even more. Donghyuck's soft velvety voice was messing him up; slowly, but surely.

Good job, Mark Lee.

 

"Pr... Promise we would stay like this forever? Like how we are now. Foolish and reckless and stuff... but always together anyway?" Mark mentally slapped himself for stuttering and his choice of words. Forever? Really? He never felt stupider and prayed that Donghyuck wouldn't question him about it.

Mark felt his cheeks become hotter as he watched Donghyuck register his words. Donghyuck had long eyelashes that curled prettily and Mark cursed himself for staring at him. He looked away quickly before his face got redder and before his heart stops from slamming so hard against his ribcage.

"Why so corny out of a sudden?" was all Donghyuck replied.

"Lee Donghyuck!" Mark glared at his best friend.

Donghyuck let a small laugh escape before punching Mark's shoulder lightly.

"Of course."

Mark felt his insides explode into fireworks.

 

 

That morning, the dark blue sky melted into shades of orange and pink. Mark couldn't help but gape at the scenery. He heard a soft sigh beside him and he turned around, intending to catch a quick glimpse of Donghyuck, only to end up boring into his eyes. The light reflected in Donghyuck's eyes, making them appear shinier than they already are. His skin was kissed gently by the rising sun and Mark found it so difficult to not stare.

Maybe his eyes were playing tricks on him, (because love is blind, right?) but soon everything around them seemed to fade away, slowly into shades of grey. At that moment, Mark swears, the world only had them.

The sunrise was bright and warm like a peach, and so was Donghyuck.