The Disappearing Act

One Night In Bangkok

“that was a great. We did good” said Youngjae as he huffed in exhaustion. His brushed the sweat off his face with his long sleeves.

“yeah, my people are grateful we came and sang” added BamBam as he grabbed a bottle of water to drink. He preferred energy drinks like Gatorade but what he really needed right now was just to get hydrated.

“don’t refer them as your people. It’s weird. Even if you are thai… it’s just weird” blurted out Jackson as he disconnected the microphone attached to his cloth. They had just performed the last concert in their Thailand tour and were now backstage. Their last concert was in the capital, Bangkok. They were supposed to go to the airport right after they finished there, but BamBam had insisted the previous day on taking his friends out sightseeing in a private Bambam tour. The manager had even told him “you’re the only one who speaks Thai. How are they going to get around?”

“don’t worry I’ll be their guide”

The manager looked at him with a raised eyebrow. Bambam puppy eyed and joined his hands together to plead. The others just chuckled because there was no way the boss would agree to BamBam’s silly request of two days in the city. The manager tapped his feet on the floor, he then sighed while caressing his forehead “fine… but we staff have to get back right after the concert. So, it’ll just be you guys” he pointed his finger at BB “you better guide them well” then at JB “and you”

“me?”

“you’re in charge”

“huh? Why me?”

“because you’re the leader. If anything happens, you call me right away”

“got it”

That’s why right now, they were on their way to the hotel instead of the airport. When they arrived, BamBam quickly stood in front of everyone “we should all go to sleep since we need energy”

“energy for what?” said Mark as he put his earphones on like he usually did after he returned from a concert or training.

“we’re going to walk a lot tomorrow. We need energy, remember?”

Everyone released a “yeah” in the air like they were agreeing with what the guy was saying but they weren’t. They just did that to shut him up. They were grateful he insisted on staying though, that way they’ll get to relax a little from all the practice. Back in JYP, they barely had any time for themselves the past few months. Each one wanted to do their own thing but Bambam was bothering everyone who wouldn’t go to sleep as he ordered so they ended up sleeping early after all. They got three rooms. Bambam stayed with Yugyeom and Youngjae since they were the youngest three and they needed at least one person to know the language. Jaebum took Mark in with him since the leader liked silence and Mark was a man of few words. That left Jackson and Jinyoung sharing a room.

When the sun rose, Jackson’s alarm beeped. He had the sound of a clucking hen as alarm song. He quickly opened his eyes and turned it off. He wouldn’t want Jinyoung to wake up from the annoying sound. He slowly tiptoed his way to the door and even though he carefully opened it, it still made a crack sound that woke Jinyoung up “mhmmm Jackson?”

The questioned man slowly turned around to find Jinyoung staring at him “Where are you going?”

“to get Mark”

“Mark? What for?”

“we’re gonna ditch the plan for today”

Jinyoung sat on the bed and wiped his eyes while yawning “you mean the Bambam tour? With Mark? why?”

“what do you mean why? I don’t wanna go around sightseeing with BamBam to happen like when he first arrived. I’m gonna go get Mark so go to sleep”

Jackson went out and closed the door leaving Jinyoung with a question “what happened with Bambam the first day?”

He went over to the room next to his where his friend and leader were sleeping. He had stolen Mark’s room key so he just opened the door with no problem. When he was about to enter, someone touched his shoulder. He flinched and turned around to find Jinyoung hugging his pillow “what are you doing here, Jin?”

“If Mark’s going, then so am I”

“What? I’m taking Mark since it’s no fun without him”

“same here. I don’t wanna die of boredom”

Jackson raised his eyebrows and groaned “agh fiiiine” before tiptoeing his way through the room. “psst” he said as he crunched next to the bed. Suddenly, Jaebum turned his face on the pillow and groaned. that’s not Mark, cursed Jackson in his head. He got up and slowly tiptoed to crunch next to the other bed “psst”

The Taiwanese didn’t even move. “pssst Mark”

Mark hummed while turning to where the sound came from “mhmm Jackson?”

“you both had the same reaction”

“what?”

“nothing. You comin’?”

“where?”

“who cares. Grab some cloth. We’re going out”

Mark didn’t even protest as he slowly got out of the bed “what about Jaebum?”

“shh lower you voice. No, it’s just us and Jinyoung”

Mark’s eyes were glowing now “oh Jinyoung. I’m getting my cloth to change in your room”

Jackson groaned “he’s more excited to go him than with me huh? You’ll see later Mark”

Mark left a note on JB’s night table before getting out to Jackson’s room where Jinyoung was waiting already dressed. When they got ready, they went to get breakfast in the hotel diner and stuffed their mouth with anything that looked consumable. As they left the hotel, Jinyoung asked while walking “hey Jack. So, what happened the first day”

Jackson looked at him and shook his head “ughhh I was walking with Bambam when the fans came. They were all OMG BAMBAM with their girly voices” Jackson imitated the sound “and when they saw me, they all turned expressionless and their voices were no longer cute. Who are you? …They asked me who I was. THEY KNEW BAMBAM BUT NOT ME”

Jinyoung and Mark laughed “well, he’s from here. It’s understandable”

“no, it isn’t. If they know Bambam, then they know GOT7. Guess who’s also in Got7”

“Jackson” said Mark

“exactly”

“no, I’m saying. Jackson, where are you taking us?”

“eh?” asked Jackson as he looked around “ummm I don’t know. We’re just walking around”

“then wouldn’t it have been better to go with the others?” commented Jinyoung as a statement more than a question

Jackson turned around and started walking backwards while pointing his fingers at himself “look here, I learned some Thai words from Bambam and they should be enough for us to survive out here”. He then stopped as he started looking at the cloths hanging outside some stores

Jinyoung looked over at Mark “why did he use the word survive?

Mark shrugged his shoulders while laughing then jogged to get where Jackson was. He was used to Jackson’s silliness so this was nothing new to him.

 

In the hotel, JB woke up when saw sunrays hit his eyes. “mhmmm Mark close the curtains”, he mumbled. He was still dead from tiredness.

Nobody answered so he insisted “Mark?” as he opened his left eye and closed it as soon as the light hit it. It almost turned him blind.

When he didn’t get an answer for the second time, he sat on his bed and looked around. Mark wasn’t on his bed so he got up and looked around the room. He came back to his bed when he didn’t find his friend anywhere, not in the toilet, not on his bed either. He saw the note on the table “hey, we’re going out Jackson, Jinyoung and I. Can’t tell you where to, since I don’t know myself. Don’t freak out. Enjoy the BB tour. We’ll be back at around 1pm. At least that’s what Jackson promised. Bye” JB crushed the paper and then went over to BB’s room where the three youngers were already awake “guys. We got a problem”

“what’s wrong?” asked Youngjae as he put on his shirt.

“they’re gone”

“who’s gone?” asked Yugyeom with a worried face

“Mark, together with Jinyoung and Jackson”

“where did they go?”

“That idiot Jackson took them somewhere without informing me about it” JB grabbed his head

Bambam approached him “well, have you tried calling them?”

“ha. Ha. Ha. Of course I did, and those idiots actually forgot their phones. I called Mark and the phone rang next to me. For some reason, Jackson’s phone was also there next to it. I went to the other room, though I couldn’t open the door, I could still hear Jinyoung’s damn ringtone”

Bambam sat on the nearest chair he found in the room. He almost fell after the realization “hyung”

“yeah”

“are you telling me they went out by themselves? Without knowing Thai? In Bangkok? A city where even the local citizens get lost if they’re not cautious enough?”

“ohh when you put it that way, it sounds horrible” commented Yugyeom

JB opened his eyes wide as the realization also hit him hard. He gripped his fist “! They’re guided by Jackson”

“oh, that’s even more horrible!” added Youngjae

They went to get breakfast and when they finished, they waited. That’s all they did. Because of those “idiots”, as JB liked to call them, they couldn’t go out. They had to wait till they got back. “damn it Wang. I’ll get you when you get back”

 

Meanwhile, the others were visiting the big town. They had entered a street where every shop was on top of each other and the path was narrow. “mianhae, mianhae”

“Mark, this is not Korea. At least say it in English” lectured the wise Jackson

“the path is just too narrow, I can’t walk properly without bumping into people”

“Mark” said Jinyoung “try saying it in Thai”

“but I don’t know how to say sorry”

“it’s Khor thot Ka”

“Khor thwhat?”

“just try”

Just at that moment, a lady passed by him and they touched shoulders so he said “Khor thot Ka”. The woman smiled at him and said, “Mai pen ra krab” before continuing her way

Mark: what did she say?

JY: I don’t know. I don’t speak Thai

They both laughed and Jackson looked at them with closed eyes. “don’t steal my best friend” he thought in his head. He coughed with his box fist over his mouth “Mark, did you forget that I also learned some words from Bambam?”

“like what?”

“well, he would usually say this to me” Jackson turned over to some lady working in a shop “kwai”

The woman gasped and let go of what she was holding before slapping the out of Jackson’s right cheek. She then turned around and entered the shop saying “kee nok!”. Some people around them mumbled things with disappointed expressions while others laughed at them. Jackson placed his hand on his now bruised cheek and caressed it “what the hell did you say to her Jackson?” asked Jinyoung as he whistled

I, I don’t know. Bambam always says this to me. When I asked him once, he said it meant something like beautiful”

“I’m pretty sure he lied to you” laughed Mark showing his teeth.

! it hurts!!!” whined Jackson but the other two ignored him and continued walking.

They walked by lots of interesting shops. One of them sold puppies and when Jackson tried to touch one, it bit his hand. Another one sold crystal objects and when Jackson tried to touch one, it was this time the owner who bit his hand. The Hong Kong rapper was starting to wonder if he just had to stay away from things. For his hand’s sake, it was getting redder by every shop they passed and it was starting to hurt. They were walking when Mark saw a really cool jacket and he grabbed the wrist of the manikin to show the others “yo, look at this. I like it”

“umm Mark” said the other two. Mark looked at them and raised an eyebrow because they froze in place and raised their shoulders as if they wanted to hide their head between them “the manikin is looking at you”

“what?” Mark looked at it and realize it was no manikin. He was holding a guy’s wrist. He quickly let it go “I’m so sorry”
“Mark! In Thai!”
said Jinyoung

“oh yeah wait how was it again?” he asked himself out loud

“Khorthot krab?” asked the man

Mark looked at him and the man was smiling “I know English. I’m from Sweden”

Mark sighed in relief. Who knew what would have happen if the man didn’t speak English and misunderstood his actions. The man smiled again and then went off with some girl who giggled.

“that was so embarrassing Mark” announced Jackson as he tried to contain his laughter.

So, this is what second hand embarrassment feels like” confirmed Jinyoung with a hand on his chin.

Mark pouted and they continued walking. They passed by a rundown shop and they hoped the weird-looking things it sold would help them get ideas for dark-themed songs. “Let’s sit on the empty side bench over there” suggested Mark

They went over and sat down. They weren’t exactly tired but they needed a little break. Suddenly, Mark’s eyes grew wide when he touched his leg “oh no”

“what’s wrong, Mark?” asked Jackson

“my phone’s not in my pocket. ! I hope I left it in the room”

“don’t worry we g—” Jackson touched his pockets “…. We got nothing. My phone’s not with me either. Let’s pray they’re in the hotel?”

“Jinyoung, where’s yours?”

“my phone? Oh, I left it in my room?”

“Why would you do that?” asked Jackson as he waved his hands in the air

well I thought you guys would bring yours so I didn’t feel the need to bring mine”

“how can you not carry your phone with you all the time?” questioned Jackson with judging eyes

says the guy who forgot his phone” Jinyoung rolled his eyes. He then quickly stood up and heard a sound.

“what was that?” asked Mark as he curiously looked over at Jinyoung

“”

This time Jackson asked, “what’s wrong?”

“my pants”

“your pants what?”

“they ripped”

“they what?!” his friends laughed because apparently when they sat down, something from the bench tore the pants open. Jinyoung placed his hands on his , his face was super red “don’t laugh. It’s not funny” but they didn’t listen, they just laughed. “Mark hyung, give me your jacket?”

Mark wiped the tears off his eyes with his fingers “what for?”

“to cover myself with it”

Jackson and Mark buffed their cheeks and suddenly burst laughing once again. Jinyoung was now losing his patience “hyung, I need your jacket. Now!”

“ok, ok. Hold on” The oldest took off his jacket and passed it to the youngest who wrapped it around his waist “ahhhh so much better. Thank you, hyung”

“you’re welcome. Anyway guys, we should hurry up and get back”

“what? Why? We’re having fun” said Jackson

“I promised Jaebum we would get back by 1pm and my watch says we still have 30 mins to get back”

“why did you tell him? You always gotta tell him our secrets or something?”

“Jackson, he’s in charge and if anything were to happen to us, he should at least know where we disappeared to”

“what’s the worst thing that could happen?”

“guys” interrupted Jinyoung “how do we get back?”

“where we came from” Jackson said while adding “duh” at the end to sound obvious. He looked around and there were three market streets “which way was it?”

“Jackson! You’re kidding, right?” asked Mark as he turned in his place

“O-Of course I am. It was…. this way” he pointed at one of the streets. He walked its direction so the other two followed him some steps behind. “I’m pretty sure we didn’t pass by these stores” commented Jinyoung as they passed by a butcher who glared at them while he cut meat. Jinyoung shivered and felt his body hair standing. “Jackson, are we lost?” asked Mark

“I’m tellin’ ya, we’re not”

“then why did you stop walking?”

Jackson placed his hands on his hips before stating “because we’re ing lost”

 

It was now one hour past the time Mark had promised in the letter they would return. The four left members turned around and round in the ground floor waiting for them to arrive, but they didn’t. JB decided it was time they started their mission: search and capture. They got out the hotel and walked four blocks and even with Bambam asking people if they saw three guys passing by, they didn’t help at all. Because it was godamn Bangkok! Thousands of people passed by where they were at that moment. “I think we should split up” suggested JB

Yugyeom: hyung, I don’t think that’s a good idea

Bambam: yeah, it’s already enough that the others are lost, we can’t afford to be separated

JB: I know. But what if you two go back to the hotel and wait. Since they might show any moment as far as we know, then someone should be there waiting.

The two nodded, then pointed their finger at Youngjae who was looking at some flowers “what about him?”

“you know, since he’s the one that gets distracted the easiest—

“oh, look at that bird” said Youngjae with a childish smile

—then he’s going with me” stated JB. The other two shrugged their shoulders and averted their footsteps, now back towards the hotel. “Youngjae, let’s go”

“eh, yeah. Bye flowers” he waved his hands at the plant

JB wanted to facepalm himself so bad but it was no time for that. Right now, he needed to focus. “Three kids, I mean, three men got lost and I need to find them” Sure Mark was older than JB, but when Jackson was around, the oldest male didn’t seem that way at all. “Youngjae—” JB turned his back and his friend wasn’t there. “Youngjae!! Hey! Where you at?” He took some steps back and forth to see where the latter was but he was nowhere to be seen. “” mumbled JB as he went around the neighborhood searching for his friend.

Youngjae was not so far away from him. In fact, he was in the store next to where JB had lost him. He had bumped into an old man who was carrying rice and it was now all spilled on the ground. He was helping the man gather all that was left when his back hit something. He turned around and found a fat, I mean, big guy staring at him with furious eyes. His eyebrows were frowned and his expression screamed “you’re dead

He said something that Youngjae didn’t understand “ah. Sorry. Thai…. Not my style?” he said in english

The man kept talking and pointing at an empty ice cream cone he was holding and then to the floor where an ice cream scoop lied. “oh. I see. It’s… down? You did it?” Youngjae kept talking with his poor English and that was making the man even angrier since they didn’t understand each other. He suddenly whistled and some other big guys came over. He said something to them and then they grabbed Youngjae by his arms “wait what…. I don’t care if you don’t know Korean, I’ll still complain. Where are you guys taking me?” They dragged him somewhere. “hey! Put me down!!”