four.

Disrupting the quiet

“What the hell did just happen in there?” Siyeon was the first one to ask as soon as they were a couple of streets away from the music store. Sungyeon went stiff. She knew the topic would come up, but she was secretly wishing her friends waited a little longer before asking.

 

Truth is Sungyeon didn’t even know why she acted with such aversion. Yeah, Yaebin could be a pain in the when she was with Eunwoo and Jieqiong at the library, but the librarian knew it wasn’t enough reason to act like that. There was something about the older student that drove her up the wall, though she couldn’t quite pinpoint what.

 

“I don’t know,” Sungyeon admitted with a sigh and shrugged, “something about her infuriates me. I don’t know what yet, maybe it’s her happy-go-lucky attitude or something,” the short girl continued.

 

“She seems to like you, though,” observed the oldest of the three, Yewon, who hadn’t intervened yet. Siyeon nodded in agreement at her friend’s words. “You should try to figure out why she makes you go crazy.”

 

Sungyeon nodded curtly. Not wanting to keep talking about it, she changed the topic.

 

“Where should we go have lunch? I’m kind of hungry.” Her stomach conveniently roared and her friends looked at her amusedly. After discussing their options for a bit, they decided to go to a fast food restaurant –don’t judge, ok, they were short of money.

 

They –Yewon– ended up spending more money than they had initially planned. On their way to the table, the oldest of the three slipped and the tray she was carrying with her food fell on the floor. She whispered a string of “bad” words –she was too pure to actually swear– and sent a glare to her younger friends who were laughing at the situation. She had to go back to the counter and ask for her order again, while Sungyeon and Siyeon waited for her at the nearest table they had found.

 

Lunch went by pretty quickly after that. They didn’t talk much while eating; they were too focused on their food, but every now and then they cracked some bad jokes that were, even in their own opinions, really lame.

 

They didn’t leave the restaurant after finishing their food; laziness overcame them. Siyeon almost fell asleep –it was a habit of hers, falling asleep after eating– and Sungyeon purposely shook her awake.

 

They wandered around the town for a couple of hours after lunch, checking out some shops that caught their attention. It had been a while since the last time they did this; it felt refreshing.

 

At around 7pm they got tired of walking, it had been at least three hours since they last sat down. They didn’t want to head back home yet, though. There was this park near Siyeon’s house where they used to play when they were little. It was nice to see that even though years had passed and they grew up to be quite different in terms of personalities they still were inseparable.

 

The three of them sat down on the grass. They didn’t have to say anything, so they didn’t speak. It was a comfortable silence. You could hear leaves rustling every now and then as the wind blew softly.

 

“Thank you for today” said Yewon with her characteristic bright smile, breaking the silence that had lasted for a while. Sungyeon and Siyeon smiled back at her. Soon after, they parted ways.

 

As soon as Sungyeon got home she ran to her room to put her pajamas on. Commodity is a must.

 

She was really tired, but it was really early to go to sleep yet. She hadn’t even greeted her parents and her stomach was grumbling. Sleep could wait for a bit.

 

Dinner went by pretty quickly. As always, her parents asked her about her day and bombarded her with questions about how Siyeon and Yewon were doing. She told them what they did during the day and they did the same, the three of them had always been pretty close. Sungyeon enjoyed her parents’ presence and didn’t mind spending time with them and talking to them about whatever.

 

Around 10pm the small librarian headed back to her room after wishing her parents a good night. She usually didn’t go to sleep this early, but spending the whole day out had been tiring. Sungyeon’s eyes kept closing, eyelids heavy with sleep, as she walked to the bedroom. Moreover, tomorrow was a school day and that meant waking up at 6am to get ready to go to classes. Just thinking about that made Sungyeon want to sleep until next Saturday.

 

Once she was lying on her bed, wrapped up in blankets, though, as sleepy as she was, she couldn’t get to sleep. She was usually one to fall asleep as soon as she was in bed –only when she was tired, like today– so that was quite strange.

 

As she couldn’t sleep, she unconsciously started replaying today’s events in her head. Well, her mind was stuck on repeating the same event over and over again, to be exact.

 

The episode in question was the encounter with Yaebin at the music store. Her cheerful attitude towards the librarian’s friends and the librarian herself, and the wide smile the older girl dedicated her made Sungyeon feel a certain way. It was a feeling she couldn’t quite pinpoint and that frustrated her. She liked having things under control and hated it when she didn’t know what she was feeling and why.

 

Half an hour later she was still tossing and turning in bed, unable to sleep. The girl reluctantly got up from bed and went to fetch the earplugs that were inside her backpack. Music helped her avoid unwanted thoughts.

 

With the earplugs on and relaxing music playing, Sungyeon finally started feeling drowsy again. She let out a sigh of relief. The librarian fell asleep soon after, warm chocolate eyes and pretty smile in mind.

 

That night she dreamt of Yaebin.

 

 

 

 

 

——— a/n: SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT ;; inspiration took its time to come. the chapter is pretty fcking ty so i apologise once again. there might be some mistakes since i havent proofread the chapter yet, but i didnt want to make you wait any longer. i hope you enjoy this new word vomit, comments are very much appreciated! lov yall