THE MEETING

Apples and Oranges

DAEHYUN paces around the hallway in worry, twiddling with his fingers. He is worried because he doesn't have a date to the school dance. There were girls who wanted to go with him, dropping hints here and there. Krystal leaned over the table during Science class and nearly fell because she leaned so much just so she could look Daehyun in the eyes. Sulli brought up the topic of the school dance and kept clearing , huffing when Daehyun didn't get it. Luna straight out asked Daehyun if he wanted to go to the school dance with her, crying when Daehyun said no.

Daehyun isn't an idiot. Okay maybe he is a little bit of an idiot. But he's not that dense to not notice when people are trying to get him to ask them to the school dance. It's just that Daehyun doesn't like those girls. They're nice people but he doesn't harbour any romantic feelings for them. So of course he won't want to ask them to the school dance, especially because the school dance is really important to him. His parents went to the school dance and had their first kiss there. His Dad had bumped into his Mum in the hallways and both of them were quite geeky people, so his Dad stammered and asked his mother out to the school dance. And she said yes.

Daehyun wants to dance with someone who is special to him. Somebody he at least likes a little. But so far, Daehyun has never had a crush before. He has seen many pretty girls but even though he does stare sometimes, he has never thought about dating them. When will he find someone who will make his heart skip a beat? Daehyun is worried he will never meet someone like that.

Daehyun sighs. Himchan comes up to him and knocks his head. "What are you doing, walking around in the hallway like an idiot?"

"You aren't worried for the school dance?" Daehyun frowns. "I thought you didn't have a date."

"Well, I do now. I just asked Sunhwa to the dance with me."

"She thinks of you as her gay best friend! What the hell!"

"So what. The school dance isn't important. I'm just asking her to the dance with me since we both don't want to look like losers."

"But the school dance is special... You should go with someone you like."

"Sadly, Daehyun, the girl I like is currently in the hospital because she was stupid enough to eat mouldy bread." Himchan rubs his forehead. "Seriously, Hyosung is hopeless. And no, the school dance isn't special. Like, you just dance in our musty hall. How is that special?"

"It is," Daehyun stresses, moping to himself. "My parents had their first kiss there."

"TMI."

"At least they didn't have there," Daehyun grumbles, making Himchan almost belch. Daehyun sighs and brushes his hair back.

"You're a handsome dude, Daehyun. Just ask some girl to the dance. I'm sure a lot of girls will want to go with you."

"But I don't want to ask just any girl..." Daehyun sighs. Himchan doesn't get it.

"Yeah, yeah. You better not complain in front of Yongguk. He's been whining that he can't get a date because all the girls get scared of his low voice. Then again I wouldn't want to go with a guy who's thinner than me and looks like a bag of sticks."

"You're real nice, Himchan."

"Thanks," Himchan chimes. "Oh, he's coming."

Daehyun turns behind to look in Himchan's direction. True to Himchan's words, Yongguk is walking down the hallway, snivelling with tear streaks down his face. Daehyun can't understand why anyone would be scared of Yongguk. He is so frail and fragile. He cries easily (which explains why he's crying in the middle of nowhere) and gets embarrassed if he can't hear what you're saying, so he just nods and runs away.

It's then that Daehyun looks past Yongguk. His breath stops at the sight of a girl by the locker, fiddling with the lock. She has short fluffy brown hair, is pretty tall and slender legs. Her shirt is baggy but anyone can tell that she is slim. Not only that, she has such lovely, big eyes. A cute nose. Rosy lips.

Daehyun lets out a strangled noise, Himchan snapping his head towards him in askance. That girl is absolutely beautiful.

"Himchan," Daehyun breathes, sounding like all the wind was knocked out of him. "Do you know who's that?"

"The student by the lockers? Youngjae. Just transferred in from Seoul."

"Youngjae..." Daehyun softly smiles. He clenches his hands when the girl smiles upon finally unlocking her locker. Himchan calls out to Daehyun but Daehyun simply ignores him, dragging his feet over like he's being pulled by a magnet. He has never seen someone so beautiful in his life. The girl's cheeks are fluffy, the girl's ears are fluffy, the girl's small face is so fluffy. How can someone look this delicate?

He absolutely has to talk to her! He must!

Daehyun stands beside the girl's locker, face covered by the door. Finally, when the girl closes her locker, she jumps at the sight of Daehyun.

"Hi!" Daehyun blurts. "You're new?"

"Uh, yeah," the girl has a surprisingly low voice for a girl. She's flat-chested, and Daehyun thinks it's great. He doesn't care if she has the biggest s in the world or the smallest s. Her eyes have already stolen Daehyun's heart with how glittery they are.

"Um, hi. I'm Daehyun."

"Hi, Daehyun." Youngjae fidgets around and says, "I'll be going now."

"Wait!" Daehyun flushes, playing with his fingers. "I know it's really abrupt and all but... um... you know the school dance is coming, right?"

"School dance? Oh right. Yeah, I heard of it. Why?"

"Well, I'd like to ask if you want to be my date," Daehyun shyly grins. "I know it's so out of the blue but I can't help but think we have a connection. I... think you're really pretty."

The girl widens her eyes and immediately, her brows knit together. "What did you say?"

"Um, I think you're beautiful, and I want to ask you to the school dance with me. Will you go with me?"

Youngjae pinches her nose and spares Daehyun a demeaning glance. "Oh my god. Are you for real?"

"Why? Am I ugly?" Daehyun's face falls.

"You're not ugly. Anyone can tell that you're handsome." The girl's words make Daehyun's face light up.

"It's just that I'm a boy with a . So no, I can't go to the school dance with you. Bye." Youngjae turns on her heels and walks away without another word, leaving Daehyun to stare confusedly at her.

What? She's a boy?