Act III

The Valet

Act III

A full week after her appointment with Yongsun, she shuffled into work as usual, and looked over her schedule, finally rid of all of her expectations. She knew her friends were more than aware that she had been acting differently for the last week, but it was strange because she couldn’t remember how she used to be. Not even her stride felt familiar, and she cursed her memory of Yongsun’s playful teasing for undermining everything she thought she knew about herself.

“Unnie, the hot water finished boiling five minutes ago,” Wheein called from the reception desk. Byulyi looked up from the teabag in her empty mug, and peeked around the alcove behind the waterfall. She heard a chair squeak backwards, and a pair of heels clacking toward her from far away. Moments later, Wheein sidled up behind her and nudged her out of the way.

“Wheeinie,” she greeted.

Wheein lifted the electric kettle from its stand and began to fill Byulyi’s mug as she spoke: “Hyejin and I are thinking about going out for dinner tonight. Wanna come?”

Byulyi picked up her mug. “Mm, rather not crash your date.”

“If I recall correctly,” Wheein said, tapping a finger on her chin, “that’s how we met, isn’t it?”

Byulyi scoffed. “In my defence, Hyejin told me you were friends. How was I supposed to know she had such a huge crush on you?”

“I still remember the look on her face when you sat between us during the movie. I mean, I knew about her crush already—at least I had hoped that’s what it was—but that look of pure murder on her face proved it,” Wheein laughed. Her hands worked swiftly around the alcove as she fixed herself a cup of coffee. Byulyi, leaning on the counter with her tea, watched her practiced movements and smiled a little into the rim of her mug at the sound of Wheein’s gentle laughter.

“I guess I should thank you for that,” Wheein continued. “I was so mad at you back then, but when I think back, I probably would’ve never confessed to that stubborn idiot if it wasn’t for you.”

“I’m glad somebody benefited from that extremely embarrassing day,” Byulyi said with a lopsided smile.

Wheein clapped a hand on her shoulder, her eyes shifting uncomfortably toward her. “I guess the lesson is,” she said quietly, “people can’t read your mind.”

Byulyi reached up and covered Wheein’s hand on her shoulder with her own. “I know. I’m fine. Really.”

“Will you come out for dinner tonight?”

“I’ll let you know.”

Wheein sighed. “Well, we’re going to reserve a table for three anyway, so you better show up! Here.” Byulyi opened her palm and received Wheein’s closed fist inside it. At her confusion, the fist opened and withdrew to reveal a familiar rectangular key fob. She grinned at the sight of the familiar white wings printed on the back. “I know this one’s your favourite,” Wheein chirped, “so now you have no excuse not to show up for dinner.”

“The Aston Martin!” Byulyi sighed happily. She clutched the key and wrapped her free arm around Wheein’s shoulder. “You’re the best, Wheeinie.”

“Chandong actually requested it today, but I told him it was taken, so you better keep this a secret, unnie.”

“I’ll try not to brag too much next time I see him,” Byulyi chuckled.

Later, a surge of determination compelled her to put on her white three-piece suit. Though she had painstakingly ironed it out after the first day she wore it, she had avoided it all week. She picked out the blacks and greys and blues every time in an effort to win her place inside the white, but today she willed herself to get over the anxiety. This couldn’t go on, she concluded, her friends had enough to worry about as it was, and a week was far too long to dwell in her fears.

Windows down, music blasting, the sun on her shades—there was no better way to relinquish those anxieties than driving luxury speeds in a luxury car through the quiet countryside. Her two previous clients had left her confidence bursting, and she hoped the last one will help her end the day on a good note. The fact that the client had scheduled their meeting at the resort was a very good sign. Even if the meeting is less than stellar, at least she would have the view and the drinks and the quiet meditative feel of the country.

She swerved into the parking lot, and stepped out of the car. With ten minutes to spare, she gave herself a moment to admire the the coupe and give it a loving pat on the hood. Even if she would never be able to afford a car like this in her own life, she thoroughly enjoyed seeing her own reflection in the car, and the illusion it represented. She gave the car her signature grin.

“You’re not flirting with your car, are you?”

Byulyi gasped at the familiar voice behind her, and spun on her heel to face a very familiar Tesla parked behind her.

“Miss Kim,” she breathed. Her heartbeat picked up alongside the typhoon swirling about her mind. Everything she’d built up today seemed to crumble at her feet as the woman swayed her way toward her. The close-fitting white dress, with her black collar and black purse, matched her own white suit and black tie, and the realization left her reeling. But the frown marring her pretty features reminded Byulyi of their nearly forgotten agreement. “Y-Yongsun-unnie,” she corrected with a bow.

“You remembered, after all,” Yongsun smiled. “Byul-ah, why do you look so uncomfortable? You really were flirting with your car then? Should I be jealous?”

Byulyi nearly choked on her own spit. “N-no, of course not,” she said, waving frantically.

“No, you weren’t flirting, or no, I don’t need to be jealous?” Yongsun teased.

Byulyi pulled at her cuff nervously. “Both? I-I wasn’t flirting. Just admiring.”

“It’s a very nice car,” Yongsun agreed. “Anyway, I’m so glad you made it. I wasn’t sure you were going to show up after last time. You seemed ready to pass out by the end of the night. My sister can be a bit intense, I suppose.”

“Wait, what?” Byulyi stood, gaping at the other woman.

Yongsun raised a brow. “What do you mean, what?”

“I'm...you…” She waved a finger between them.

“Did Hyejin mix up your schedule again?” Yongsun said, “I hope she knows that it’s too late for me to trade you in for anyone else. My sister met you already, and it would be rather odd for me to show up with someone new after you impressed everyone last week with everything.”

“Ah, but, um…” Byulyi dug into her pocket for her cell phone, and her client’s profile blinked to life. “It says that I have an appointment with a Miss Solar Kim. She’s a flight attendant?”

“Woah,” Yongsun said, grabbing at Byulyi’s phone in disbelief. “I haven’t heard that name in years. It was my nickname in highschool, but...I wonder how  Hyejin found out? Maybe I told her and forgot. How strange! I do remember mentioning that I wanted to be a flight attendant though. Way before law school and everything. That’s my picture right there! From my yearbook! Wow. I’ll have to ask her about all this next time. It’s just so...wow.”

Byulyi swallowed under the intense gaze of the other woman, her mind reeling. “Maybe I’ll just call Hyejin to confirm.”

“Yes, that's a good idea.”

She pressed the numbers with unsteady fingers, all the while trying to duck away from the amused look in Yongsun’s eyes. The phone rang once—Yongsun stepped a little closer—twice—her arm brushed alongside hers as she leaned in closer—three times—her breath caught when she felt her chest pressing into her arm.

“She’s not picking up?” Her voice was way too close. Byulyi began to step back, but Yongsun’s grip only tightened. “Well...let’s not keep my parents waiting.”

Moments later, somewhere between the sound of her internal screaming and Yongsun’s voice laughing about a joke she’d clearly missed, her phone flashed with a single line.

Boss Hyegi: You’ll thank me later.

If Yongsun wasn’t looking at her so expectantly, she would’ve thrown her phone against the wall. Instead, she shoved it deep into her pocket, and returned her gaze with a tight smile.

“Everything alright?”

“Everything’s perfect,” she said, as coolly as she could. She took a breath and, in attempt to channel her professional side, straightened her posture and turned to Yongsun with her most charming smile. “You’re perfect.”

And Yongsun laughed—not a politely stifled giggle of an embarrassed yet charmed client, but a barking laughter that turned the heads of everyone within a ten-metre radius. Byulyi looked around, flushing pink as Yongsun continued to laugh.

“You are,” she finally said, wiping a tear from her eye, “too good at your job, Miss Byulyi.”

“I-I’m just..” Byulyi cleared to unknot out the nerves in her voice, “being honest.”

As much as these lines have always been another layer on her armour, they had never been untrue when she spoke them to her clients. Each was perfect, beautiful, intelligent, and wonderful in her own way, and she knew that not all of them would choose to believe it. But when it came to Yongsun, things were different—as it always were when it came to the strange pink-haired woman. These compliments seemed to expose parts of her that she’d never had to show before.

“Try not to give my parents diabetes when you meet them. Oh! There they are!” She pointed to a table, and it was just then that Byulyi realized they were already inside the restaurant overlooking the golf course. Every patron inside the glass cube had their heads turned toward the setting sun while Byulyi fixed her eyes on the older couple across the room. The man in the prim navy suit had his arm around his wife’s shoulder as he pointed toward the sun, whispering something that had her chuckling. Even from afar, Byulyi could see the resemblance in the family.

“Why did you stop?” A soft voice whispered into her ear.

“W-what?”

Suddenly, she felt herself being dragged toward the nook where the bathrooms hid. Even more suddenly, she felt Yongsun standing way too close, her hand underneath her collar as she straightened it out. “You’re not nervous, are you?” she said, her warm breath puffing against her cheek.

“No, no, of course not. Why would I be?”

A silk handkerchief pressed against her forehead. “You’re sweating up a storm,” Yongsun teased. “But you have a pretty good poker face, I'll admit. Relax,” she smoothed out the fabric along Byulyi’s shoulders, her eyes searing into Byulyi’s with something undefinable, “this is just for tonight.”

“R-right.”

Her hand fell limp inside Yongsun’s as she allowed herself to be led into the restaurant, something inside her tightening as she repeated Yongsun’s words in her head. This is just for tonight. Be professional, Byulyi reminded herself, treat her like a queen but remember that she is not your queen.

 

 

“Yonggi, you made it!” Yonghee greeted from the head of the table. Daehyun craned back to smile at the oncoming pair, and Byulyi couldn’t help but smile back at his comforting presence. As the only two outsiders of the Kim clan, she felt a deep sense of camaraderie in his familiar face.

“Unnie,” Yongsun greeted happily, “oppa, appa, umma.” The older couple, watching Byulyi apprehensively, nodded in eerie synchronization. “This is Byulyi.”

“Her personal assistant,” Yonghee added, sending Byulyi a sly wink. The Valet blushed, and bowed, her greeting muted by her embarrassment. To make up for her awkwardness, she immediately pulled out Yongsun’s chair for her at the other end of the table, then, clumsily returning Yongsun’s smile, took her seat beside Daehyun. She hoped to earn points with her parents with the gesture, but their inscrutable gaze only added  to the pressure.

“Relax,” Daehyun leaned over with a whisper, “let Yongsun do the talking.”

She nodded, and mustered up her most brilliant smile.

“I must say that it is a rather odd choice to bring your assistant to a family dinner, Yongsun,” her father began, “but I suppose you’ve never been one to take the road most travelled.”

Yongsun chuckled. “Actually,” she said, squeezing Byulyi’s arm, “this one is my date.”  

The entire table’s eyes were on her in a moment, including Byulyi’s. Beside her, Daehyun choked on his wine. Yonghee reached over to soothe his back. And her parents’ eyes darted between each of them.

If only to avoid the disapproving eyes of the older couple, Byulyi clapped her hand over Yongsun’s knee under the table, her expression caught between concern and surprise at the sudden confession. Yongsun held Byulyi’s hand. As headstrong and confident as she appeared, her clammy fingers fidgeted in Byulyi’s hand.

“Your date?” Her mother said slowly. “Is she the reason why you refused to see Chairman Park’s son?”

Yongsun sighed. “No, umma, I didn’t see him because I’m not interested.”

Yonghee and Daehyun shifted closer to each other. Byulyi wanted more than anything to get into that huddle or get into the car and drive home to Daebakkie, but the spotlight was shining, and she couldn’t leave Yongsun alone in this increasingly tense conversation.

Her father opened his mouth with a pointed glare at Byulyi, and it took everything for her not to flinch. Fortunately, Yongsun cut in just in time. “It doesn't have to do with Byul, appa, so stop glaring.”

“What about Mrs. Cho’s son?” he said. “You told me you liked him.”

“Not in that way,” Yongsun said. Byulyi squeezed her shaking hand beneath the tablecloth, feeling as helpless as she was scared for her. “I’m never going to marry anyone’s sons, appa. Do you understand?”

Her parents looked at each other for a moment. Everyone held their breath, waiting, expecting tears, anger, but all that manifested was further confusion. Yonghee started. Yongsun shot her a look, and Daehyun pulled her back. Then, it was an unexpected surprise when her mother leaned forward and said, “What about Chairman Bae’s daughter?”

“What? Irene?”

Byulyi’s eyes widened at the name, but said nothing. Yongsun gripped her fingers tightly.

“What about her?” Yongsun said carefully.

“I hear she is also…” her mother paused, searching for words she didn’t have, “like you.”

Yongsun narrowed her eyes. “Perhaps.”

“She’s quite lovely, isn’t she, dear?”

“Yes,” her father said, “I’ve met her a few times. Beautiful and intelligent young woman with great sense. You are close friends too, are you not?”

Her mother looked at her father warily, and said, “Then perhaps…”

Yongsun shot forward in her seat, but her father raised a hand, and she bit back whatever she was going to say. “What your mother means, Yongsun, is that a woman of your...standing...deserves someone who can match you in everything you do, especially one who understands the,” he diverted his gaze to Byulyi, wary yet curious, “demands that society puts on us,” her father explained. “I mean no offense, Miss Byulyi. I’m sure you are quite lovely, but our family—”

“Wait,” Yongsun furrowed her brows. “You mean you don’t care who I date as long as they run in your circles?”

Her mother smiled. “Well, I would prefer grandchildren.”

Her father cleared his throat. “I trust that you will make the right decision. In the meantime, Irene is a lovely girl. I can arrange a meeting with her father if you like.”

Byulyi gripped her fist tightly as she thought of Seulgi and Irene, and the realization that Seulgi, who had thrown away everything to be with her, would be tossed away in a heartbeat by people like Yongsun’s parents. As much as she wanted to be liked by the older couple, the anger  bubble inside.

“I see.” Yongsun leaned back, rubbing the bridge of her nose with her thumb and forefinger as she tried to digest what was going on. “So you’re both clueless.”

“Yongsun!” Her mother chided.

“With all due respect, Sir,” the words leapt out of Byulyi’s mouth before she could catch them. All eyes were on her, and all she knew was that she wanted to defend Yongsun. “Ma’am.” She cleared . Yongsun sat up, while Yonghee and her fiancé leaned closer. “Yongsun is one of the most beautiful, intelligent, and brave women I know. If she can battle the kind of tyranny she sees every day in the courtroom, I think she is more than capable of taking care of herself. I...I’m well aware that I am just a humble member of the working society—and to be honest, all I have to my name is an apartment and a fat corgi—but I have seen the inner world of the society you refer to, and I know that money and image can lead to...lonely roads. And Yongsun deserves more than that.”

Silence.

Five pairs of eyes gaped at her as she hid her face behind her hand. “I’ve said too much,” she mumbled, casting an apologetic look in Yongsun’s direction.

Yongsun smiled. “You said just enough.”

Her father started, his knuckles white as his fist laid on the table. “This is—”

“Appa,” Yongsun interjected. “You know as well as I do that we are not going to come to an agreement on this. Not tonight.” She stood, her presence powerfully ascending above her stunned family, and tugged Byulyi upright alongside her by the wrist. “We will be going now. I’ll make it up to you next time, unnie.” She bowed to four shell-shocked faces, and gently tugged at Byulyi. At the signal, she bent her arm and offered the crook of her elbow with a grin.

Yongsun took it automatically, and together they marched through the grand oak doors and into the starlit sky.