Doctor Crush

Spring in August

Prompt by sopheaV:

A sick taemin who met doctor which is minho his high school crush

 


 

"Oh, come on!" Lee Jinki dragged the weak body out of the black car.

"I'm not going inside."

"Aren't you being so childish right now, Lee Taemin?"

"Don't shout, I'm sensitive."

"You're being stupid."

"Excuse me?"

Jinki sighed at his little brother, "You are extremely sick and being so stubborn about not going to the doctor for a mere check up is stupid!"

"I don't need medicine, it's just a common cold. I'll be fine sooner than you can imagine."

"It's already a week, Tae. Mom is worried about you!"

"I've told her I'm fine!"

"She's very unconvinced. Now let's get inside."

Taemin groaned as he was pulled by his brother by the hand towards the automatic doors. He glanced at Taemin briefly and shook his head in disbelief. Taemin looked so pale, messy, eyes red, nose runny, looking extremely sick and extremely weak; even he couldn't get himself out of his not so tight grip. His little brother might only caught a common cold, yet the symptoms were quite severe. It really knocked Lee Taemin down.

"Just- I don't want to get a shot."

Jinki could only laugh at this. Still the old Taemin.

 

 


"Lee Taemin-ssi!"

"Yes!" Jinki raised his hand as the nurse called his brother's name.

"Just stay here, hyung."

"Why?"

"I'm an adult. I can do this alone."

"But I need to know what the doctor said."

"I will tell everything. I promise."

"But, Taemin-ah..."

"Please," Taemin begged pitifully.

Jinki sighed, "Alright."

 

 


Taemin awkwardly sat on the chair the nurse showed him. He got his blood pressure checked, body weighted, and temperature checked before she proceeded the papers to another room. He followed meekly to the other side of the room where he heard someone, his doctor, washing his hand at the corner of the clean sleek room. He sat down on the examination table with his legs dangling.

"So, Lee Taemin-ssi?"

He eyed the familiar broad back and clean cut hair fumbling with the files the nurse had put on his desk. Didn't he know what pushed him to look away from the white coated man across the room, his head kept alarming him to keep his sight at his worn slippers.

"What can I do for you?" Asked the deep voice while he heard his papers being checked and the sound of pen meeting the paper was heard not long after it.

"How do you feel?"

"Y-yes?" He looked up as the black shoes with a famous brand he knew stopped right in front of him. There he went speechless, "Uhm-"

A smile was resting on one's handsome face, eyes awfully looked like a deer staring attentively on his face, while his stare encouraged him to talk about his condition. Was that a gasp that escaped his lips? Yes. He knew this guy. He recognised that back, that haircut, that shoes and he heard that voice awfully lot before. No wonder why his brain was in high alert.

"Choi Minho?" He confirmed his memory by reading the name tag on the white coat, unconsciously recalled the familiar name on his tongue. No! What did he say? He shook his head with an apologetic voice, "I mean doctor Choi, I'm sorry. Yeah, doctor... Uh- it's- I'm just feeling a bit-"

An amused eyes flickered when they met with Taemin's. Taemin's heart stopped for a while. Did Minho remember him? Probably not. Hopefully not. What did he just done?

"Dizzy?"

"Yes," he stuttered, "uh, my body felt cold despite I'm burning, and weak, and I- uh- also I can't breathe properly."

What a joke. Funny how he felt hot and cold, weak, couldn't breathe not only because of his stupid, common disease, but also from this unexpected encounter with Choi Minho right now.

Oh my God, it is Choi Minho! His not so forgotten crush.

"Since when do these symptoms occur?"

"Hmm- the sneezing and cough? A-arround a week ago," he trailed off, unsure about it himself.

"The fever?"

"Only recently."

"So it's the flu first and then the fever?"

"Yeah, I- I think it's because I slept under the rain, if not jumped into a fountain."

His doctor's eyebrows raised, expressing a manner of interest. Yeah, it had not changed, Taemin noted, mouth quirked in attempt of not smiling. He wanted to slap his cheek so badly for remembering so well.

"I got extremely drunk and fell asleep in the park, woke up with drenched clothes but not sure why, so, yeah," he threw a fit of pitiful coughs when he finished his sentence, "Sorry."

He watched Minho walked towards the table and scribbled something on his papers. He took his stethoscope with him and put it around his neck. The later also took a penlight with him before coming back to his side.

"Have you taken any meds before?"

Minho in white coat looked extremely sophisticated. Taemin didn't know his classmate would become one fine looking doctor. He always thought Minho would become a famous handsome athlete, but a doctor suited him better. It was such a pleasant sight that he almost made the later waited for an answer due to his distracted head, "Paracetamol and vitamin C. It usually works, but this time, not doing so well."

"I'll do a thorough exam, so if you don't mind, please lay down comfortably."

He took off his slippers and laid down on the uncomfortable bed, conscious about his body. Minho smiled reassuringly at him. Oh, he loved seeing that smile. How long had it been? Ten years? More or so, probably. The last time he saw Minho was when they graduated from junior high and Taemin had to follow his father to the outskirt city, leaving all his childhood memories behind. Also he had to leave his heart that only started to learn how to feel. It was really nice to see Minho again, he thought.

Warm hands hovered over his face and thumbs pulling down his lower eyelids, followed by a penlight shining on one side of his vision and to another, the light was not blinding, seeing Minho up close was. His nose was checked too and he nodded when Minho commented on how annoying it could be when both of them stuffed up due to the enlarging concha.

"Open your mouth."

Taemin meekly followed so, opening his mouth and put out his tongue while saying ah. Minho nodded at him again, "Are you well aware about your enlarging tonsils?"

"Yeah, but I don't want to get a tonsillectomy."

"Why?"

He shrugged and bit his inner cheek. He couldn't say that he was afraid of needle, that would be very embarrassing.

"Do you snore?"

"No," he answered honestly.

"Or people said that you snore?"

"No," he shook his head, "I know what you mean by asking that. I understand about infection, fever and the risk of an obstruction when I sleep, I've seen the specialist about this, and just- I don't want to get an operation."

"So you do know that an enlarged tonsil will easily infected which leads to fever yet still stubbornly refuse a removal?"

"Yes," sternly he said.

Taemin carefully watched his old-and realised still- crush slipping the membrane of his stethoscope on his chest underneath his shirt and also down to his stomach which tickled just tad bit. He had to calm himself so that he couldn't hear the quickened heart beat, but who was he to control his weird body?

"Your heart beat is just a bit quicker than the normal range, it probably because of the fever and or because of you got a white coat symptoms. You know, afraid of the doctor," Minho tapped his fisted hands on his side, as if showing him why did he say that.

He smiled awkwardly, feeling stupid for clenching his fist so tightly, nail patterns visible on his palms. He was not afraid of doctor. He was just nervous and wanted to hide from Minho. Of all day, why it had to be today? When he was looking so ugly, nose runny, and lips pale? Why did he have to meet Minho now instead of the day when he had faint blush on his cheek and pinkish plush lips he always proud of?

"Everything is good except the finding of your red throat and large tonsils," Minho paused, eyes a bit scolding, "I can't help but to suggest you to get a tonsillectomy."

Taemin went tight-lipped, face scrunched awkwardly, fear soon taking over his mind. Needles and unconscious were not a pleasant combination.

"Can you give me prescription only?"

"Am going to," he helped Taemin and led him to the chair near his table, "But as you have known, it's a circle, or cycle. Tonsils are there as our immune system, it will help fight local infections by releasing inflammatory mediators that will cause fever, pain, redness, etc. Enlarged tonsils only mean that they can't work as efficiently as before, and it will become the source of the infection. It is better to remove it, we don't want further complications such as sleeping obstruction, abscess, sinusitis and more."

The physician kept explaining about the diagnosis an how to take the medicines, yet Taemin had tuned him and eyes focused only to that face and sometimes to the moving lips. He gulped painfully when Minho came to his lips as he continued.

This was so crazy. How he still had the same flutter in his chest when he saw Minho then and now. Seeing the later in an unexpected place gave him a stupid idea of how fated they could be. He wasn't sure if this was a temporary excitement of seeing him after so long or was it because he still liked him, thus he wanted to find out.

"Any question?"

He shook his head to get himself out of his trance, simultaneously answering the doctor.

"Good," Minho smiled, "Here is the prescription, get some rest and get well soon."

Taemin blinked nervously, mesmerised by the gentle smile. "Yeah. Thank you, doctor Choi."

"Please consider my suggestion."

"I- I will. Thank you once again. Yeah- I-" he pointed at the doorway and bowed.

With a heavy step, he headed towards the other room where the nurse was waiting, giving her some papers to be taken care of, including the prescription and some other stuffs. He glanced at the open door, peeking at Minho. Was this it? Was he not going to meet Minho again? The later didn't remember him, right? He had no clue at all.

Of course, he muttered to himself. Who was he anyway? He was just a Lee Taemin.

"Do you want to go to the pharmacy by yourself or I can help you with that?" She kindly offered.

"Is it far?"

"Not really, but you look unwell, so I can help."

There was Jinki oitside, he could ask him, but if she went there, he could stay here longer and probably making a stupid move to ask if Minho remembered him or not.

Without another thought, he nodded, "Thank you."

He shouldn't squeal when she was out of sight, but he did, although weirdly and sounded almost like he was dying. Didn't he notice the doctor was standing nearby.

"Everything's okay?"

Like a thunder out of the blue, he was shocked and jumped a bit. The doctor laughed at him, it was such a nice sound and it reminded him of the old days; the ring in his ears was exactly the same.

"Y-yeah," his voice cracked.

They nodded at each other, Taemin was sure he was feeling a blush creeping at his cheeks but nothing changed when he glanced at his reflection at the glass door. Taemin walked to the sofa slowly, eyes stuck to the floor while head trying to start a conversation. Boy, he did try so hard for the first time.

"Uh- doctor?"

"Yes?" The doctor turned to him once again.

"Do you ever lived in Seoul before coming all the way here to Busan? Chung Dam High School?" Taemin observed the later's face carefully and surely he was unable to read it, Was it discomfort, amusement or what, he didn't want to thrive further. "No, never mind."

"Yes, I went there," said Minho after some time of silence, this time his face changed its expression, probably thinking.

Taemin looked up and met eyes with the taller one, eyes somewhat hopeful that Minho at least recognised his name.

"Me too," he started, "seems like it's only me who remember."

The doctor scratched his neck awkwardly, a weird smile plastered on his face. Enough said, Taemin thought, he definitely didn't know him, the wallflower.

"You're well known back then and I'm not, so- I understand."

"I remember your name," he replied.

"We're classmates, yes."

"I don't quite remember your face."

Taemin just realised one stupid thing, he barely let Minho saw his face back then. He ran away almost immediately, he sat at the far back and often walked with head down. Of course Minho couldn't remember him. In addition, he kind of changed a lot, the Taemin now was more presentable unlike the old, dark, bowl haired boy he used to be.

"But I remember that you left me a few letters."

"What letters?"

"It's you right? The invisible Lee Taemin."

Then it hit him right. "Oh," Taemin gulped. Crap!

"Not every day you got love letters from a boy," he giggled.

Was he mocking him?

Unconsciously his hand flew up to cover his face from embarrassment, now he wished the nurse would come back. He kind of regretted not going by himself. What had he done? Minho remembered him because of those stupid, cheesy letters he secretly put into his locker. At the end of his letters, he always put 'The invisible Lee Taemin, who always wish for his heart to be seen' so that Minho would at least know his name.

"This is embarrassing," he muttered. Great. What a great impression.

He cringed from how stupid he was back then, just because there were a lot of Taemin in the school, he had to distinguish himself from the other and he did that madness. He could hear a muffled grin and it didn't make him feel better. Did he wish that the earth would crack open and fell into it.

"Hey," Minho startled him, "what about catching up with each other over a coffee?"

He slowly removed his hands and stared blankly at the doctor.

"Really?"

"Why not?" Minho went all smile at him, "It's nice to meet an old friend."

"Isn't it weird?"

"Not the slightest," Minho chuckled, "it's interesting."

"Oh," the corner of his lips ticked to a smile, "When?"

"When you're healthier? Let's exchange phone numbers for now."

Taemin took the phone he was offered, typing his number on the screen before giving his phone to the later. His eyes looked livelier when he saw the name Choi Minho in his contact. This was like a dream, his childish spirit seemed to reappear and his heart trembled.

"Oh, nurse Park, you're back?"

"I brought the meds for Lee-ssi."

Minho left him in his paralysed state with coolness all around him. Then he approached him again to give him the paper bag.

"Get well really soon, okay?"

"Sure," he answered.

"And text me."

A smile bloomed on his face unbeknownst by him as he walked out of the door. Jinki was confused with the silly smile and it was quite creepy how happy his brother was after going to the doctor. This was the first. Taemin usually ended up crying, but not today.

"Yah," he shook his brother out of his trance, "what did the doctor said?"

"The doctor said I was fine, it's just tonsillitis and I have to go back in three days if I'm not getting better."

"And you're happy with that? You're all smiling."

He nodded as they started to walk towards the parking lot. When they were seated inside the car, Taemin seemed to never stop surprising him by saying, "Let's go back here in three days."

"You actually want to go to the hospital again?"

"If needed."

Jinki paled when he heard the answer,  "I don't think you're okay, let's go for another check."

"No, I'm okay hyung, just-" he smiled wider and gave his brother a hug, a kiss on his cheek on top of that.

The elder screamed silently. He and Taemin was not in term of sharing hugs and kisses, this surely was a weird event for him.

"You sure okay?"

"Yes! Just thankful that you brought me here."

"Tae, you're freaking me out," his voice unsure.

"I love you, hyung."

Lee Jinki shivered, "I- I think you really need a doctor."

"Oh, yes, I need one," he giggled, "later in three days. Now I want to go home and sleep."

 

 

 

 

 


Hi! Been a while! Sorry for not updating as much as what I've promised you, my beloved readers^^;; I am now enjoying my life and going to places I've always wanted to go. Have to do that now, before the internship and adult world of working lol

Did you miss me? :P

So, I once checked the prompts on the draft (because I felt guilty abandoning what I've started) and this one made me remember that one time I met a handsome consultant and it made my fingers started to type. I hope this is not as weird as I thought.

And hey! I got MOVE disease so badly. I keep moving my body (weirdly) whenever I hear it. Even my non kpop friends start to blame me bcs Taemin's song keep playing in their heads lol I'm a proud Mom~

I think that's all, see you soon?

love,

aqcelnicorus :D