Four

The Drowned One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the girl came back, Dongho had set his mind that he would be nothing but nice no matter what. And so, when the door opened, he stood and placed a smile on his face with the intent to disarm her animosity as soon as she saw him.

It didn't work as he had planned, though. She wasn't alone, and instead had two men with odd spears in hand. They were iron by the looks of them and yet curved and twisted like the branches of a tree, and tipped with a sharp point that when he looked closer, he realized were styled to be leaves. Nothing to do with water, he mused, which only served to enhance his idea of this being part of Atlantis.

He raised his hands to show they were empty as the men approached, the red-haired girl standing still beside the door and merely watching. Neither of the soldiers - that was all he could think of them, really - returned his smile, and yet they didn't show the open anger the girl had shown, either. It was all business as they searched his wetsuit, ensuring that nothing could be tucked away and hidden from them. He felt a twinge of pain when they took his camera, but he said nothing and simply allowed the search to happen, compliant with all of their requests. Once they were sure he was unarmed, one motioned him toward the door.

"Lead the way, Yeri," the soldier said. The girl shot him a dangerous look but she did as she was asked, and Dongho filed her name away in his mind for future use.

And yet, as they stepped out into the hallway, he very nearly forgot to try and remember anything. They stood on a balcony walkway, wrapping around the building he had been in and open on the other side to overlook the city beneath them. His jaw dropped as he looked out between twisting columns to see a garden, complete with what appeared to be a miniature sun hanging in balance over the flora there. Several people toiled there, gardeners by the look of it, working the earth and coaxing the plants to grow. And beyond that, maybe fifty yards from where he stood, was the edge of the world. A dome rose up over the city, and beyond it he could clearly see the darkness of the ocean. It was as if he were inside of a fish bowl and looking out at the world, only the inside of the bowl was dry and the world was water.

 

Yeri looked back at him and gave a laugh, coming back to stand before him and look up into his awe-stricken face. "You see? There is no escaping this, you'll pay for what you've done," she said softly.

That shook him from his stupor and he looked down at her, allowing a calm smile to come over his lips. "I have nothing to pay for," he said bluntly. "I'm not afraid to stand your trial. I have nothing to hide." Which wasn't the utter truth: of course he was afraid because really, they might just kill him for existing! But he really did have nothing to hide, and he watched as her face crinkled ever so slightly in confusion before she turned away.

He tried to not become overwhelmed by the wonders that he saw as they traversed, though it was difficult. To think that a city existed down here and no one knew of it! He had gone mountain climbing many times before and he could only compare the thin air with that, and he wondered if it had to do with the age of the city. But since the dome kept the water out so that they could survive down here, how had she been swimming in the Great Blue Hole? He didn't think then was the time to get answers, so he kept his questions to himself as he followed her, the two soldiers right behind him.

It was to a large, round room that he was led, and in that room were hundreds of people. He felt the uncomfortable itch between his shoulder blades begin when everyone in the room turned to stare at him, but he kept his head up and follow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter