You Said You'd Grow Old With Me

Stars

Listen to You Said You'd Grow Old With Me by Michael Schulte

 

I leaned against the kitchen countertop, watching her backside jive to the lively beat coming from the radio, as she cooked our breakfast.

"One more second and I'm gonna call the police on you, you stalker," she said as she turned around, pointing the spatula at me accusingly.

I let out a short chuckle before replying, "How about I call the police on you, you thief of my heart?"

She outwardly cringed her fingers but I knew she enjoyed my so-called greasiness. Her lips strecthed upwards as she beckoned me towards her with open arms which I complied.

I enveloped her in a warm embrace as she too encircled her arms around my waist. As if on cue, the music changed to a romantic song.

"Dance with me?" I whispered.

Not waiting for a reply, I immediately twirled her around on one hand before I suddenly dipped her backwards which of course earned me a gasp and a slap on the arm.

I coyly grinned at her as I held her by the waist and moved us slowly to the beat.

"I love you, Kim Yongsun."

"I love you too, Moon Byulyi... but you shouldn't forget to call me unnie when we're outside." I laughed jovially at her response, taking note of what she said but I know I'll probably forget it.

"I'll go there now. No matter what you say."

The call was suddenly dropped just when I was about to reply.

I looked around 'our' place – liquor bottles flooded the carpet, dirty dishes filled the sink, evertyhing was a mess.

"Clean up, Byul. I like it the best when I come to a clean home and clean.. you." Her anger quickly dissipated and was replaced with greasiness when she saw me innocently pouting at her.

.

Now I realized why she isn't coming back.

I rushed to got up and clean the place despite the complaints of my fatigue body.

"What time are you coming?" I asked as I frowned at the way my supposedly white rice turned out. I could probably fix it if..

"I'm here!" I jumped up and quickly shut down the rice cooker as I turned around to glare at her. It was gone too soon though when I saw the black bags under her eyes.

"I miss you, baby." I dropped my phone on the counter then proceeded to hug her.

"What were you doing?" She asked after breaking the hug. I tried to stop her from opening the rice cooker but it was too late.

A frown settled on my lips as I anticipated her disappointment.

"Scorched rice? Thanks, Byul! You sure do know how to cook it good." My eyes shot up towards her and I saw her tasting the rice with a clean spoon.

Oh god. What did I do to deserve this woman? I walked to her and scooped her up in a loving embrace whilst whispering 'I love you' and 'sorry'.

That night we ate scorched rice and other dishes which she of course made perfectly.

"Wow.. you seem better than what I imagined whenever I am talking to you on the phone," she invited herself in and looked around the almost spotless house.

"Where's Yongsun?" I asked as I stuck my head out the door, looking sideways for Yongsun.

When I didn't find her, I went in and slumped myself beside Wheein who was looking at me quite worriedly contrary to her first expression.

"Unnie. What are you saying? She's been gone for two months now.." I looked at her incredulously then suddenly all the memories come back. The effects of the alcohol wearing off.

December 31, 2016

I now remember it all again clearly. The dinner, the ring, the fireworks – and the drink. It was supposed to be our celebratory drink for our engagement, but some anti-fan slipped a poison in her glass.

It was supposed to be mine.

I originally planned to make her drink water because she's a lightweight, but she insisted, saying that it was a once-in-a-while occasion so I let her.

But I shouldn't have let her drank it. I am supposed to be the one six feet under not her.

"Will you marry me until our hair turns gray – naturally if I must say? You know 'cause we aren't actually old if our hair is dyed to gray and-" I was cut off with a squeal and a hug.

"I would love to grow old with you! Yes! Yes!" I smiled widely in relief then stood us up before inserting the ring on her finger.

"But she said she'd grow old with me."