Tutorial #001 | How to render a picture.

⌘ LadyofReincarnation's Resources & Tutorials ⌘

Hello everyone! This is my first attempt at a tutorial and to be honest it was an extraordinary adventure, so I hope that some of you will find this helpful, however if it doesn't then just take this like a grain of salt.

!WARNING! Every result will vary depending on how dedicated you are to making the graphic, so I cannot guarantee 100% satisfaction.


 Step 1

I will be using Photoshop CS6 to do this tutorial, but I think this will work with other programs too(?), however I do have GIMP also, so if you're interested then I can see what I can do for you guys. So to start off, you will need to open up your photo onto your program. As you can see below, there are lots of hair sticking out of Luhan's head and since it's best to include most of detailed hair inside our graphics, we will need to follow these 10 easy steps.

 

Step 2
 Next, we will need to locate our most important tool for this tutorial, which is the 'Quick Selection Tool'. It is located near the top left-hand corner where the side bars are at. Then click on the '+' sign, where it's already highlighted in my picture and select the desired spots of your person. To get rid of any selection that you already made, just press the '-' sign and go over it.

 

Step 3
After selecting the 'Quick Selection Tool', select all the desired areas of your person. Unfortunately I cannot snapshot a view of the marching ants around the image, but you'll get the idea if you made a selection. To continue, after you are done selecting, then please proceed to locate the 'Refine Edge' button. This is the step that will make your graphic flawless! JK :D

 

Step 4
 Now this is the GOOD stuff! After clicking on 'Refine Edge' there should be a pop-up with settings. Here are the desired information that you should make in the settings:
- Check the box that says 'Smart Radius'.
- For 'Radius', put in the 99.0 px as the number.
- Then skipping all the way to the bottom of the settings, check the 'Decontaminate Colors' box.
- And put in 69 for the 'Amount'.
- Put your 'Output To' --> New Layer, so when you are finished it can automatically open up in a new layer with a transparent background.
*OPTIONAL* Check the 'Remember Settings' box if you are satisfied with the results.
HOWEVER! You are NOT done yet!

Before clicking the 'OK' button please read Step 5 and 6.

 

 

Step 5
Now, looking at your picture, you may notice some spots on your Oppa's face that looks rather not normal; or it may look transparent. But do not fear because this step will help you overcome that obstacle! If you look to the right-hand corner again, you will see two buttons with a brush tool and eraser tool as its symbol. I usually use the 'Eraser Tool' button to recreate the parts that were lost and even though it's an eraser tool it doesn't erase the parts that you selected ealier.

 

 

Step 6
After using the 'Eraser Tool' you can see some differences to your graphic, so please compare it to the image above and give a round of applause!

 

Step 7
After finishing all the final touches to your render press 'OK'.

 

Step 8
After clicking 'OK', your image should appear on a new layer with a transparent background.

 

Step 9 
Finally you can save your image as a '.PNG', and if you don't then it will all be for nothing! If you were wondering why Luhan only has a head, well it's because I focused mainly on the hair for this tutorial due to the fact that it's the hardest to crop and edit. But feel free to use this method for any other part of the body! And I know that this is not the best render ever made, but if you know how to make graphics, then you would know how to hide and elude the mistakes into something beautiful or unseen to the eye. :D

 

Step 10
Okay guys! Thank you so much for staying with me through this boring tutorial, so that's why I made a new and improved render/png of Luhan!!! It's bigger also!

 

And here is the final product for this render/png!
(I know that you all had probably seen this already, but see it again!)

 


A BIG thank you to xiuminbaozi99 for suggesting this tutorial! If anyone out there needs more help on this or anything else for that matter then please feel free to bombard me with questions and how to's because I have no life! 

Until then my lovelies ^_^