Chapter 8: SinB

Keep Your Enemies Closer

 

Unlike the last time she’d left the pitch earlier that week, SinB was positively exhilarated.

 

It was only their third quidditch practice, but the team was already back into the groove of things. All of the veteran players had kept up with their training over the summer, and the new fourth year SinB recruited was naturally athletic and a hard-worker, easily keeping up. They worked like a well-oiled machine, and SinB could already feel the weight of the Quidditch Cup in her hands.

 

After running her team through drills for an hour and a half until they were red in the face and drenched in sweat, SinB dismissed them. They all nodded and wandered off to go shower before breakfast. Her team was still afraid of her like most of Slytherin, but they also saw her dedication to the sport, so they were nothing but respectful toward her.

 

SinB did a few of solo drills for an hour. It was hard to do her drills during actual practice when she was captain and seeker. The team required her guidance and corrections, and her drills were only her honing her own speed and skill. It was easier to just release the team a little early and do the drills after they left. Not to mention, it made SinB kind of antsy when people watched her fly outside of games. She knew she was good, but the looks she got sometimes were too awed for her tastes.

 

With barely a half hour before breakfast began, SinB did one last lap to cool down. Afterward, she stored her broom in the locker room and started heading to her dorm. Eunha would probably whine about SinB not showering in the locker rooms and stinking up their room, but the water pressure was way better in the dorms.

 

However, SinB apparently had the worst luck in the world because she was only halfway back to her dorm when she ran into Yerin and of course it was just the two of them in the halls. If she could’ve, SinB would’ve just kept walking. The other morning with Yerin on the pitch had been something of a dream to SinB. She had let her guard down and was delighted when Yerin hadn’t been immediately hostile. She thought her speech about being judged for being sorted at eleven had finally gotten Yerin to think. That’s why when Yerin had asked if she’d just been acting, SinB took the words like a knives to her heart. Of course she’d ask that. SinB just couldn’t be a nice person, now could she? It was like being a first year all over again.

 

“Good practice?” Yerin asked sarcastically as she slowed to a stop in front of SinB, blocking her from walking past her.

 

SinB rolled her eyes. “Yeah, my team’s in good shape to win the Cup this year.”

 

“Don’t let a few practices get to your head,” Yerin scoffed. “Gryffindor is gonna beat Slytherin with ease.”

 

SinB paused. For some reason, Yerin seemed more aggressive this morning. The taunts were nothing new, even a bit tame. There was something about the deliver that was off, like SinB had done something to piss her off, but SinB hadn’t seen her since Potions. Why was she– oh… SinB finally noticed the way Yerin seemed thoroughly distracted SinB’s appearance.

 

SinB was slick with sweat and had her hair in a high, messy ponytail, and according to Eunha, someone who often saw SinB after quidditch practice, it was hot look on her. On top of that, SinB had dressed for practice so she was wearing skin tight leggings and only a sports bra. Sweat had soaked through her shirt, so once her team left, SinB had tugged off the shirt and hadn’t bothered to put it back on for her walk back. She hadn’t exactly planned on stopping to chat with anyone.

 

With no small amount of amusement, SinB watched Yerin’s eyes dilate and flick all over her body, lingering on her abs and lips. This could really work in her favor if she played her cards right.

 

Slowly, so as to not startle her, SinB stepped closer to Yerin, so there was barely any space between them. Yerin gasped at the sudden proximity and met SinB’s gaze with wide eyes.

 

“See something you like, sweetheart?” SinB teased, making her voice low and husky. She paired it with a charming smile and watched as Yerin practically melted. She took a chance and reached out to tuck a stray strand of hair behind Yerin’s ear. Yerin froze at the contact, and it took her a second to shake her head and move away.

 

“What are you doing?” Yerin practically screeched.

 

SinB just smiled again and closed the gap between them once more. “I should be asking you that. Don’t act like you weren’t just checking me out.”

 

Yerin reddened, and SinB was surprised to see a new shade of the color. “I was not checking you out!”

 

“Aw, that’s a shame,” SinB pouted. “Because I was certainly checking you out.”

 

“What?” Yerin sputtered.

 

“What can I say? I’m only human. I see a gorgeous girl in front of me and I just melt. I suppose it’s a good thing our clothes aren’t switched because I don’t think I would’ve made it.”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean, it’s a known fact that quidditch players have the best bodies,” SinB shrugged. “Exhibit A,” she added, waving a hand over her own body. She stifled a laugh as Yerin’s eyes immediately followed and glazed over slightly.

 

SinB just winked and hummed, “See you later, princess.”

 

SinB walked away with a plan already forming in her mind. She and Yerin could trade insults until the world ended, ending with both of them pissed off more often than not. But this? SinB could flirt with Yerin all day. She was a cute girl, and SinB was very aware of that. The best part was that it would annoy Yerin, and well, it was always fun to flirt with attractive girls. A win-win situation.

 

At breakfast, SinB told Eunha of her plan.

 

“You really think that’ll work?” Eunha asked with a raised eyebrow. “Yerin seems like the type to deck you if you cross her boundaries.”

 

“You didn’t see the way she was eying me this morning on my way back to practice,” SinB said smugly.

 

Eunha giggled. “That is a good look for you.” She handed SinB the plate of toast without being prompted then asked seriously, “Is this a smart idea?”

 

“It’s certainly less emotionally taxing than being her verbal punching bag,” SinB shrugged.

 

“That’s not what I meant,” Eunha frowned. “I know you can flirt with whoever, but Yerin is different for you, SinB.”

 

SinB scowled. Just because she’d had a crush on Yerin when they were kids didn’t mean she was gonna go soft on her now. She told Eunha as much and only got a worried look in response. The mere thought of falling for Yerin again made SinB’s heart twist painfully. She’d been devastated when she’d been twelve, experiencing heartbreak as much as a kid can. She couldn’t imagine how bad it’d be if it happened again. No, it wouldn’t happen again. She wouldn’t let it.

 

“I’ll be fine,” SinB reassured Eunha, but the words felt like a lie already.

 

SinB arrived to Potions later than Yerin. She sat down hesitantly next to her, unsure of how to go about her new plan to annoy Yerin. It was obvious how to push Yerin’s buttons, but knowing what made her heart beat faster? How to make her blush and annoyed that she was blushing? That was trickier. Yerin had seemed to like her the other morning when she’d been soft-spoken.

 

“Good morning,” SinB greeted, keeping her voice as sweet as possible.

 

Yerin quirked an eyebrow and merely slid over a chocolate bar.

 

“You remembered!” SinB said excitedly, smiling honestly. She opened it immediately and broke off a piece. She ate it and hummed blissfully. “Want some?” she asked, holding it out to Yerin.

 

“I’d accuse you of poisoning me but I’m the one who gave it to you,” Yerin remarked dryly.

 

SinB took a risk and teased, “Maybe I’m just that good and I poisoned it without you noticing.”

 

Thankfully, Yerin took it well and snorted. “You may be good, but you aren’t that good.” She took a piece of chocolate and popped it in .

 

“You think I’m good?”

 

Yerin’s cheeks suddenly reddened when she realized what she’d said. To make matter worse, SinB called her out on it. She recovered remarkably though and quickly said, “Clearly you’re good enough to weasel some chocolate out of me.”

 

“Aw, is someone upset they lost to the big bad Slytherin?” SinB taunted, careful to keep her voice playful.

 

Yerin rolled her eyes. “You were just lucky.”

 

“Lucky enough to win something else from you?”

 

Yerin paused and regarded SinB suspiciously, and SinB did her best to look like she wasn’t doing anything wrong. She had to admit she really loved her banter with Yerin when it didn’t revolve around bashing each other’s houses. She was quick-witted and sharp-tongued, unafraid to go toe-to-toe with her. Also, it wasn’t even going to be that hard to turn their banter into flirting.

 

“What do you want?” Yerin asked finally.

 

SinB had already thought of what she wanted to say. “A kiss.”

 

Yerin clearly hadn’t been expecting that. She blinked owlishly at her. “Are you sure about that? Aren’t you afraid of getting half-blood cooties or something?”

 

SinB tried very hard not to laugh at ‘half-blood cooties’ as she shook her head. “That’s what I want.”

 

“Alright,” Yerin agreed so easily that it made SinB twitch. This was supposed to annoy her, wasn’t it? Why wasn’t she offended or angry? “If you’re lucky enough to make this potion better than me, one I’m the best at, I’ll give you a kiss.”

 

SinB looked to the board Yerin gestured to and tried not to smirk when she saw felix felicis written on it. Oh, poor Yerin had no idea this was also one of SinB’s best potions. Still, SinB wasn’t going to tell her that and agreed to the task and that Professor Jung would judge their potions.

 

While they made their potions during class, SinB left Yerin alone. Mostly. She wasn’t going to distract her largely during their competition, but SinB couldn’t help but teasingly letting their arms and hands brush far more often than usual as they worked. Yerin acted unaffected, but she couldn’t stop the way her ears reddened under the contact.

 

In the end, they brought up both of their potions up to Professor Jung who tried to ignore all of the arguments between SinB and Yerin. However she was dragged into the competition and hassled into choosing the better potion. With exaggerated exasperation, Professor Jung pointed to the potion on the right and SinB grinned triumphantly.

 

Yerin said nothing, face perfectly neutral. She cleaned up their table wordlessly, and SinB helped her put away their excess ingredients. They were dismissed early and left together.

 

SinB thought Yerin was going to pretend they hadn’t made the deal. She was very wrong. They walked a little ways down the hall when Yerin suddenly pushed SinB up against the wall, nearly pressing their bodies together. SinB felt her breath escape her in a gasp. She reached out and grabbed Yerin’s hips to stop her from coming closer, mind whirling. She looked up and met Yerin’s dark eyes.

 

“You won, so a deal’s a deal,” Yerin said, voice husky.

 

SinB didn’t say anything and stared, trying to get a read on Yerin. As she continued to do nothing, she saw a flash of frustration in Yerin’s eyes. Oh. She wanted SinB to want this. They both recognized the other’s attraction and were determined to have each other admit their attraction for one another. This was why SinB was so intrigued by Yerin, her ability to keep up with SinB every step of the way.

 

As much as SinB wanted to say screw it and close the gap between them, she wouldn’t give Yerin that satisfaction. She wanted tease Yerin. She wanted Yerin to admit her attraction to a Slytherin. She wanted her to give in first.

 

SinB leaned in, feeling Yerin leaning in as well. She stopped just short of Yerin’s lips and pushed against Yerin’s hips to get her to stop too. She met Yerin’s half-lidded eyes and whispered, “When you kiss me, I want you to mean it. I want you to beg for it.”

 

After Yerin processed the words, she angrily pushed away SinB, and all SinB could do was smirk in satisfaction at frustrating Yerin once more.

 

“I’ll never beg for a kiss from you of all people,” Yerin spat. With that, she stormed off, and SinB watched her go thoughtfully.

 

This was a dangerous game, she thought, as memories of her crush on Yerin from second year flickered at the edge of her mind. She now understood Eunha’s worry. It’d be so easy to fall into old habits and wish desperately for the cute girl in Gryffindor to see SinB was different from what she thought Slytherin was.

 

Shaking her head, SinB could only hope this wouldn’t end in heartbreak for her again.


A/N: Sorry for the lack of updates. School has been killing me, so this will probably be the last update until December. Thank you to everyone who's been supporting this story!