All at once

Strangers In Passing

It's late. Very late and Chanyeol curses with hostility at his car tire before kicking it out of anger and well, sheer unrestraint. The storm is picking up, getting dangerous, maybe. Right now, he's stood, shaking his head at the betraying tire that is now buried in a mini Everest of snow. It hasn't moved in fifteen minutes, nor will it if this dreadful weather builds up any more than it already has. He checks his watch. 11:25 pm and he's still not where he needs to be and now, he won't be getting there until the crack of dawn. Even that is wishful thinking and he sighs heavily, turning away from the hunk of junk he used to see as a reliable companion.

There is a part of him, however, that wants to thank his car for not breaking down around five miles back, when Chanyeol was driving through a woods that looked more sinister than he wishes to recall. Instead, his car decides to give out on him about thirty seconds away from what looks like a quiet little BnB. The lights are on and Chanyeol doesn't see any other signs of life nearby, so he trudges through the thick layer of snow hiding his ankles. 

He feels his pockets up for his wallet, the wind blowing his jet black hair sideways as it's sprinkled with large, fluffy snowflakes. It's damn cold and Chanyeol cannot wait to step foot inside, fingers itching eagerly as he reaches out to grab the rusted, metal doorknob. 

The door opens with a soft creak, Chanyeol's ears are greeted with much less sound than he expects. Even the sight differs greatly to the one he imagined just a few seconds ago. 

"Good evening," His deep voice bounces off of the walls of the quaint little bar area he steps into. There's an elder woman on the serving side of the bar, she smiles, Chanyeol bows his head. 

Sitting at a far end corner table, two old grandpas are sitting across from one another. They glance at Chanyeol, but he decides neither of them looks particularly friendly, so he decides perhaps sitting with them won't be an option.

With only one option left, Chanyeol seats himself at an empty corner table beside the bar. There are two chairs and he picks the one face towards the room. 

Chanyeol is barely given five seconds to unravel his scarf from around his neck before the elder lady from behind the bar is standing over him. He flinches in his seat, heart racing. When the hell did she appear there? Where had his head been? 

"Can I get you a drink?" She asks, her tone slightly ragged but her eyes are warm and friendly, contradicting the former point.

Ruffling his hair to shoo the melting snowflakes away, Chanyeol answers politely.

"Do you have something that can warm me to the core?" Chanyeol questions, his charming smile setting the deepest dimples in his cheeks.

The lady pulls a face, one of brief thought.

"I can do you a nice hot mug of cocoa? It's my grandsons favorite," She tells him, her eyes sparkling with delight. How old does she think he is? Regardless of that, Chanyeol hums, the corners of his eyes creasing up as he smiles a little brighter.

"I suppose that's better than a kick in the teeth," He nods his head. "That would be lovely, thank you Mrs...?" Chanyeol gazes expectantly at her, waiting to hear a name but she shakes her head dismissively and turns her back to him, scuttling off behind the bar.

"Just call me Nana, that's what my grandson calls me," She calls, disappearing from his sight. 

With an amused quirk in his eyebrows, Chanyeol leans forward in his seat and shrugs his thick, winter jacket off. He drapes it over the back of the chair, along with his scarf and sighs. He's drained, both physically and mentally. He can practically hear Soojung cursing his name outright now for not being there for her. In fact, she's probably had several panic attacks since his scheduled arrival time. He hopes her parents haven't given up on her yet.

Pulling his phone out with such apprehension, Chanyeol checks for messages and almost feels the urge to shut his eyes before the screen lights up. 

Oh. There are only two messages and they're both from over an hour ago. 

Soojung: the weather is getting pretty bad outside... drive safely.

Soojung: if you can't make it in time, don't fret. i love you and i'll see you when you get here. stay safe. x

Chanyeol's heart constricts. He loves her, so much, but it's not the kind of love you're supposed to have for your wife, for the love of your life. Instead, it's something much more platonic. She doesn't know this, of course. They've been together for nearly thirteen years, he doesn't plan on telling her their marriage is built on one big, deceiving lie. These messages are so very opposite to the ones Chanyeol expected. The weather must be worrying her, just as his lack of signal must be too.

"Here's your cocoa."

Heart leaping into his mouth, Chanyeol's head shoots up abruptly and he thinks he's just gained whiplash. He's greeted with a chuckling Brunette, eyes formed in a thin line as he smiles a rather rectangular smile. "Did I startle you?" He asks, voice soft.

"Yeah, but it's not your fault," Chanyeol reassures, sliding his phone back into his pocket. "My head was elsewhere," He mumbles. "And... you know, I was expecting a lady with gray hair to be bringing my cocoa out."

"I see," The brunette laughs again, this time it sounds a little forced. "Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm neither a lady nor do I have gray hair."

All Chanyeol can do is quirk his brows.

"I'm her grandson, Baekhyun," He finally clarifies and the air around them seems a little less tense. "She's probably already mentioned me."

Chanyeol feigns cluelessness for a moment, shrugging, but his poor acting skills give him away and he chortles like the old man he is. "She may have mentioned you once, or twice."

He avoids the urge to exaggerate. Looking silly in front of a stranger isn't exactly on his to-do list. Baekhyun catches on to this, he slides very craftily into the seat opposite Chanyeol and plants his elbows atop the tables smooth, mahogany surface.

Watching his cocoa ripple from this movement, Chanyeol tenses up. It appears he's reeled in a new friend.

"So, what's your name and what brings a grumpy looking guy like you here?" 

Something about this question has Chanyeol taken slightly by surprise. Partly because he doesn't do social situations very well, he struggles enough making conversation with his wife's parents and he's known them for years. However, he's also not prepared to just totally blow this guy out and ignore him.

"My name is Chanyeol," He starts, clearing a frog out of his throat. "And my car decided to drive me right into a large pile of snow outside, the tire is stuck and now it won't move."

Baekhyun hums in order to show this tall fella he's listening. "Where are you driving to at this hour?" 

"My wife's parents' place... we're visiting for a few days."

"You're married??" Baekhyun gawks at Chanyeol, the latter laughs at his reaction. "Wait, how old are you?"

Chanyeol's tongue clicks against his teeth. This kid.

"That isn't a question you ask a stranger."

Baekhyun pulls a face, one of mockery and smiles. "We're not strangers. I know your name, you know mine... so, we're acquaintances now, right?"

His eyelashes are fluttering, Chanyeol doesn't feel quite as amused as he did just a moment ago. He watches Baekhyun's elbows slide closer towards him.

"I'm thirty-three," He mutters, taking his cup of cocoa by the handle and bringing it to his lips. The aroma is sweet, but the taste? The taste is something akin to the most velvet Belgian chocolate Chanyeol has ever had the pleasure of tasting. 

"Thirty-three?" Baekhyun spouts out like a parrot. An astonished parrot. "You're nine years older than me? I thought you were younger!" The brunette exclaims, arms flailing just as over-dramatically. "I'm sorry, Chanyeol-Hyung... for being so casual with you."

Chanyeol really finds his surprise quite endearing, but his apology is unnecessary and he shakes his head, a dribble of cocoa spilling onto his beige sweater.

"Don't apologize, Baekhyun," He hums, waving his hand in such a dismissive fashion that Baekhyun can only smile in response. 

This guy really does seem to be laid back. Is he sure he's that old? Nothing about him screams years of marital experience, hence why Baekhyun had thought of him being younger. 

"You don't seem that old..." Baekhyun trails off, bring his elbows back in and lowering his hands against the table. 

"Well, thanks," Chanyeol doesn't know what to say. It's not the first time he's been told he looks younger than his age. Even his sister, Yoora, often says she's jealous of his young complexion. Although, she also says she wishes his personality is as youthful.

Baekhyun eyes Chanyeol's half full cup of cocoa and his lips. "Are you going to drink that? My grandma used to make it for me, but she said I'm old enough to make it myself now," He grumbles, Chanyeol merely chuckles because this kid really is something.

"Knock yourself out, buddy," Chanyeol pushes the cup across the table and Baekhyun gleams with a childish glee, bringing the rim of the cup to his lips in an instant. 

Chanyeol doesn't know why, but suddenly he finds himself preferring this young guys company rather than solitude. He's not too talkative, but if he does speak up, he doesn't ask stupid questions. This is when Chanyeol decides to make a little more effort, maybe he should smile a little more? Perhaps try initiating a topic of conversation without relying on the brunette. 

"So, how old are you, Baekhyun?" Chanyeol questions, Baekhyun freezes, stopping himself from guzzling down what remains in the cup. 

He's still a big kid, so he can't be that old, Chanyeol thinks. 

Baekhyun's eyes wrinkle up in the corners, his cocoa mustache making the giant snort. With a slight blush, Baekhyun wipes his lips clean with the back of his hands and locks eyes with Chanyeol.

"I'm shocked you didn't do the math when I told you that you're nine years older than me,"

"Mathematics was never my strong point," Chanyeol jokes.

Baekhyun's eyes roll.

"Come on, stop kidding around and just subtract nine from thirty-three."

"...twenty-four," Chanyeol says, quickly, because he's not really that silly.

Baekhyun grins, wiggling his eyebrows. 

"Now we're getting somewhere."

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Minutes, maybe hours pass and the two really hit it off. Chanyeol feels at home, comfortable and Baekhyun? He feels the same, with maybe a touch more enthusiasm, which is expected. He's the younger of the two, after all. 

They get to talking about deeper details of each other's lives. Baekhyun finds out that Chanyeol is the head media sales executive for his sister's fabric company. This information almost has his jaw hanging from its very hinges because this clumsy looking, dark-circles-under-his eyes guy doesn't really strike him as the type to come up with stylish advertisements for pretty fabrics. Still, he nods along eagerly.

"So, you're good with technology and computers?" Baekhyun asks, regretting it soon after because Chanyeol starts going off on a tangent about photoshop and how aggravating it can be when designs don't do what you want them to do. Again, the young brunette listens with care, watching the way Chanyeol's eyes will light up occasionally, or maybe his hand will come up and sweep over his black hair and he'll sigh. In all honesty, this man is incredibly attractive and Baekhyun cannot take his eyes off of him. 

Chanyeol gets the hint after a while, sensing Baekhyun's boredom while he watches his eyelids sag over his eyes and his head begin to droop. This reminds Chanyeol to check the time on his watch. 01:28 am. Huh. So they've been talking for a while then?

Eventually, they will fade into a silence, but these will only last a few seconds before another topic is brought up. 

This time, it's Chanyeol's turn to ask the questions. He does this comfortably, the corners of his lips tucking upwards into a smile.

"What do you do? Is there another job you have besides helping you Nana out here?" 

Baekhyun's serene complexion fades into a duller, more saddened one once this question is asked. It's hard for Chanyeol to miss that shard of pain piercing through the youngers almond shaped eyes. 

"I did help my boyfriend run his little bakery on the other side of town for a while," Baekhyun mumbles, tone more fragile than before. "But he cheated on me- how long ago was it? Uh, maybe- two months ago?" He sighs, Chanyeol shifts, he wants to take Baekhyun's hand and give it an encouraging squeeze. 

He doesn't.

"Cheaters deserve to burn," Chanyeol deadpans with no mercy, the look in his eyes is scorching and even makes Baekhyun want to squirm. he hates cheaters. Loathes and detests them. Not just when it comes to relationships. Chanyeol just hates cheaters in general. "So, now you help your Nana permanently?" 

Baekhyun nods, laying his forearms against the table, fingers doing twists and turns around one another.

Chanyeol doesn't exactly take the time to think, reaching out, he takes one of Baekhyun's hands and begins playing with his fingers. He looks up, eyes scanning the bar and it's the first time he notices that those two old grandpas and Baekhyun's Nana are no longer in the room. They must've retreated to bed a while ago. Chanyeol doesn't know how anyone could possibly sleep while that storm is howling and whistling outside.

"What are you doing?" Baekhyun whispers, watching curiously while Chanyeol's long, clumsy looking fingers run along his own.

Chanyeol shrugs. "You looked like you needed a little emotional support..." His voice fades out a bit. "You looked like you were going to cry."

"You're smart."

"I know," Chanyeol responds with a grin.

Baekhyun puffs out a tiny laugh. He really had been close to crying. Since he never speaks about his ex to many people, not even his grandma, it's always hard for him to cope when the subject is brought up.

"How long have you been married?" Baekhyun is enjoying the way Chanyeol's hand brushes over his own, paying very special detail to the mole on his left thumb.

"Twelve years, but I've been with my wife for thirteen."

Baekhyun nods. "You got into things quite quickly then?"

"It was-" Chanyeol swallows deeply, almost choking on his own spit while trying to talk. "It was sort of an arranged thing by my parents," He explains, making eye-contact with Baekhyun after a minute or so of just looking at the mole on his thumb.

"So... you didn't want to get married?" Baekhyun actually grips Chanyeol's hand a little tighter than he had been, his heart skips a beat at the next words he hears.

"No, I didn't. But when my parents found out I was gay and had a boyfriend-" Chanyeol's voice cuts dry again, he lets out a soft breath, eyes closing. "-They jumped straight on Soojung's parents and begged them to get her talking to me," Chanyeol never once opened up about this to anyone before. So, actually being here, baring his inner conflict to Baekhyun this very moment is liberating, to put it lightly. 

Baekhyun remains the quiet little mouse he's been for the entire duration of Chanyeol's words. He leans closer, totally immersed in his story.

"They forced me to break up with my boyfriend... I was a mess, but of course, I had to be strong and hold it all in," Chanyeol opens his eyes again and he's slightly taken aback by how focused Baekhyun is on him. "I ended up loving Soojung, but not in the way I'm supposed to. She doesn't know anything about all of this," His breath becomes a little shallow, his voice a bit pressured. Chanyeol has had to live so many years keeping his feelings bottled up and confined in the deepest part of his heart. Now, here he is, spilling everything out to someone he only met a couple of hours ago. 

Now holding onto Chanyeol's large hand with both of his smaller ones, Baekhyun can feel some kind of intense, suffocating pressure pushing down on his ribcage. He's breathing normally, yet it feels like he's choking on air itself.

"How do you... do it? How do you live like this and pretend to be happy?" Baekhyun's question comes out slowly, each syllable rolling from his tongue lazily. "I just- I couldn't ever imagine myself in that position... how?"

Chanyeol ponders on this question for what feels like an eternity, Baekhyun waits like a patient puppy. Their hands are still connected and neither seems to show the intention of letting go. 

"You really want to know what my motivation is?" Chanyeol watches the way Baekhyun's head bobs up and down slowly, filling his lungs with air before answering. "My motivation is making my family happy." No, he isn't lying. This is what keeps Chanyeol from breaking down every day, keeping his parents happy, keeping Soojung happy. His selfless acts of devotion are all for them.

Baekhyun, without realizing, is crying. He did wonder just a moment ago why Chanyeol was suddenly becoming nothing but a blurry figure. It's because of the tears piling up and spilling over his lashes. 

"You should... do what makes you happy too." Baekhyun's croaky voice makes Chanyeol smile sadly, reaching out to swipe those ghastly tears away from his cheeks. 

"But my happiness will make those I love sad," Chanyeol responds, hushed and wavering. "I don't want that."

Silence envelops them, Baekhyun tugs his hands away from their tangle with Chanyeol's and he's furiously wiping his face, trying to free his skin of those silly tears pushing out. He's overwhelmed with sadness and his body feels as if it's filled with lead. 

Chanyeol, he's totally still, his chest stutters a little but he suppresses his emotions well, just like always. He's been doing it for most of his life. Nothing more than a natural habit by now.

"You remind me a little of my old boyfriend," Chanyeol decides to speak up and his smile turns from one of sadness to one of comfort. "I think that's why I'm so comfortable talking with you." He thinks he's ready to stop, but more comes. "He always got emotional, felt everything with all his heart and he listened so... so intently to others when they were confiding in him." 

Yes, Baekhyun is very much like him, Chanyeol thinks.

These words finally bring the smallest crack of a smile to Baekhyun's face, despite his aching heart. "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm happy you feel at home enough to share your heart with a stranger."

"We're not strangers," Chanyeol states, just as the younger had done earlier on. "You know my name, I know yours... we've shared a lot in these few hours," He's leaning over the table and his face is suddenly closer to Baekhyun's. "So, we're friends, right?"

Baekhyun grins jovially, those tear stained cheeks of his now tinted a radiant pink. His stomach twists with an unrelenting urge but he's scared of following through. 

Thankfully, he doesn't have to. Chanyeol, the sweetheart... makes the move for him and their faces no longer hold a gap between them. 

Chanyeol kisses him with such tender, fervent motions, his lips guiding Baekhyun's own into an effortless dance. Chanyeol cradles his cheeks between his large palms, Baekhyun's hands resting on broad shoulders. 

It's several more seconds of the grandfather clock ticking that they stay linked like this, lips slotting perfectly, lungs burning through lack of oxygen they so desperately need.

They part, though very reluctantly and Chanyeol's forehead is the first to dip forward and rest against Baekhyun's as they catch their breaths.

"I'm sorry..." Chanyeol whispers, voice shallow and airy. His satisfied tone bears a stark contrast to his words of apology.

Baekhyun's head shakes, his lids clasp shut over his eyes, lips curving upwards.

"Don't be sorry, I'm not."

Both of them know that this kiss they shared cannot go any further. Chanyeol is married, Baekhyun is still young and he doesn't need the baggage of a man heading towards the middle-aged stage of his life. They're part of different worlds, two passing faces that were brought together by a snow storm... maybe fate, too. 

Chanyeol's watch hits 02:17 am before they decide to get some sleep. Baekhyun sets up the couch in the back room with sheets and blankets, a pillow from his own bed. The giant is indeed grateful for it all. They bid quiet good night's and hug for five minutes before Baekhyun pulls away and heads upstairs to his bed. The creaking floorboards leaving a short trace of his presence before quiet falls.

Sighing, Chanyeol flops down on the couch, drapes the blanket messily over his worn out body. He falls into a slumber the very instant his head makes contact with the pillow.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Sun seeps in through the windows as dawn makes a rise, Chanyeol groans, his closed eyelids pulling apart. He hates waking up in the morning. Why? Because in sleep, he's peaceful and when he's awake life bites him in the and allows his mind no chance to rest. Still, his responsibilities call and so does a familiar voice from the night before.

"Rise and shine, you big sleepy head!" Baekhyun can be heard clattering around with what sounds like pots and pans. 

Chanyeol's mind takes a moment until he's fully registered his awakeness. He sits up, a little too fast, gaining an unpleasant head rush that makes him grip onto the back of the couch for support.

"Hey, old man! Wake up and come get some coffee!"

"I'll be out there in a second," Chanyeol grumbles in response, his gruff, morning voice rattling in the back of his throat. Jeez, he really is old.

Yawning once, twice, Chanyeol finally stumbles onto his feet and blinks the blur from his eyes, wiping the sleep dust from the corners. He follows the sound of crashing Baekhyun is making and soon finds him.

He's turning the kitchen upside down, pulling various sauce pans and frying pans from an over head cupboard.

"I don't think you need all those to make a cup of coffee," Chanyeol comments, almost scaring the life out of the little brunette who squeaks and turns to face him rather abruptly.

"Firstly, don't sneak up on me like that," Baekhyun whines and places a small silver pot on the counter top before wandering over to the scary Chanyeol. "Secondly, don't be cheeky," He flicks Chanyeol's nose softly and grins, pointing to a fresh pot of coffee. "I've already made the coffee, pour yourself a cup and sit while I make some breakfast."

Chanyeol, still slightly dazed, scrunches his nose up. A tingling sensation spreads from the point which Baekhyun had flicked, but it's nothing he can't handle. Nodding quietly, he sweeps across the floor towards the coffee pot, grabbing a cup before pouring himself a nice hot mug of coffee and takes a seat at the kitchen table. 

He's very much like a docile puppy, Baekhyun thinks.

"How did you sleep?" Baekhyun's voice cuts evenly through the short silence. He returns to the spot Chanyeol found him, searching for his preferred pan. He wants to make Chanyeol a decent breakfast before he hits the road again, only... he can't really cook.

Chanyeol shrugs, taking a gulp of coffee. "Surprisingly well, considering the storm outside... I was out like a light- you know, I would be just as happy with some toast and jam." He states, halfway through telling Baekhyun of his night's sleep.

"But I don't want you to get hungry while you're driving," Baekhyun pouts, glancing over his shoulder at him. 

With a smile, Chanyeol shakes his head.

"I don't have much further to go, so I'll be fine. Toast is fine."

"If you say so."

"I do."

Baekhyun twists his body, facing Chanyeol straight on while snaking fingers through the handle of his already half empty cuppa. A very strange sensation bubbles up in his stomach, it's not hunger- no, it's something stronger than that. He chooses to ignore it, but not the question causing the sensation. 

"About the kiss-"

"I'm sorry if it made you uncomfortable," Chanyeol cuts him off, nerves evident in his voice while he shifts in his chair.

Baekhyun immediately rejects that idea of his and rushes over, sliding onto the chair opposite Chanyeol. 

"You didn't make me uncomfortable. Not in the slightest, I was just wondering why you did it?"

That's a good question. Why did Chanyeol kiss him last night? He takes a moment to really study his mind for a reason, but nothing really springs to mind. The best he can come up with is:

"Because I just... I just felt like doing it."

Baekhyun can't help but swallow hard at that. It just sounds so... so meaningless when he puts it like that. Gosh, why is he even so bothered by it? It's not like... it's not like anything could ever happen between them. Heck, they barely know each other and yet Baekhyun seems to have such a strong attachment to Chanyeol.

"You just felt like it?" Baekhyun's voice wavers. 

"Well, you know... uh, I just... you looked really sweet with your red cheeks and teary eyes-" Chanyeol once again chokes on his words, swallowing at least three times before he can even carry on. Baekhyun's intense gaze on him doesn't help matters. "Your little grin- you, just... I felt comfortable and I still do." 

Chanyeol's eyes are desperate, he feels like a school kid trying to prove that he didn't cheat during a math test. He's too old to be feeling such ways.

Baekhyun, however, lights up brighter than the sun, absorbing Chanyeol's words right into his heart. He just doesn't want to fool himself into thinking this is a thing. He's too young, Chanyeol's married.

This is what he keeps telling himself and although the desire to kiss Chanyeol again is so strong, he fights it and wins.

"Alright. Okay, I'm happy... thank you for being honest."

Baekhyun stands up, leaving the giant's side. It's about time they had some breakfast because Chanyeol is probably hungry and raring to see his wife.

He prepares toast in silence, wearing a very faint smile on his face. He makes to spread plenty of butter on the slices so it melts deliciously and even Baekhyun's mouth starts to salivate. Bringing out a special, homemade damson jam, Baekhyun sets the jar on the table with a spoon, a knife, and four warm, buttery slices of crispy toast.

Chanyeol whispers a soft thank you, beaming at the brunette but before he can even make eye contact, Baekhyun is making his way out of the kitchen.

"Aren't you having any?" Chanyeol calls, brows knitting together in a slight frown. 

"No, I have chores to do. You eat up and enjoy, Chanyeol-Hyung."

With that, he disappears around the corner, leaving a very disappointed Chanyeol half-heartedly slathering his first slice of toast in the delightful jam.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

After breakfast, Chanyeol tidies up after himself. He cleans his plate, coffee cup and Baekhyun's too. The entire time, he's thinking about their kiss the night before. Baekhyun has such soft lips, they're very cushiony, not dry or cracked in any way. His face is also very soft, the skin of his cheeks feeling like the finest silk underneath Chanyeol's palms. Oh and that tiny sound he made while they kissed, somewhere in the middle of a hum and a giggle. So precious.

He bumps into Baekhyun's Nana on the way out towards the bar he'd first stepped foot into the night before, she tells him he can freshen up in the bathroom. Chanyeol bows then he smiles and tells the elder woman how lovely her grandson is before ascending the creaky stairs. She agrees with a great big grin, going on her merry way just a second or two later. 

Splashing his face with cold water, Chanyeol is doubled over the small bathroom sink, eyes closed, mind running with too many thoughts at once. His head is filled with a dozen what ifs and he can hardly bear it.

"Those two old men dug your tire out of the snow."

It's that voice again. Baekhyun's voice.

Chanyeol straightens himself out, grabbing the fresh towel Nana had told him about to dab his face dry. 

"That's very kind of them... I'll be sure to thank them before I leave," The giant turns to face Baekhyun who is leaned against the doorframe, expression neutral, eyes gentle and nurturing.

"Don't bother, they probably wouldn't appreciate the thanks much anyway," Baekhyun informs him stepping in, stepping closer. His eyes are scrutinizing Chanyeol, examining him like a specimen. He doesn't mean to be like this, it's just his way of memorizing somebody's face. "You have large ears, Chanyeol-Hyu-"

"Don't call me Hyung, you don't have to."

Chanyeol hates how he feels, hates the lump in his throat that formed the very moment Baekhyun moved closer. Their faces, they're so close and he can't help the feelings unraveling within his body. All he's done is found a way to complicate things with a person he met no longer than twelve hours ago. Why? Why did he kiss him? It's not even a question he can answer because he doesn't know.

"If you weren't married, I'd totally let you take me out on a date," Baekhyun comments, sounding so cheeky but the curl of his lips doesn't match.  "The fact that you're an old fogey doesn't bother me because you give off an aura... one that's youthful and it's begging to be released, but you won't let it," He reaches up and sweeps a piece of fluff from Chanyeol's sweater. "All for the sake of keeping other people happy."

The lump in Chanyeol's throat gets bigger, swells so much that he can't breathe. His eyes, they glass over and pour, they pour tears of sorrow of desperation. He's reached his limit.

"Don't cry, because you're stronger than that."

"Am I? Or am I just weak?" Chanyeol struggles out and his voice breaks, sounding higher pitched than he intends.

Baekhyun captures the frame of Chanyeol's face in his hands and holds it in place, he looks him right in his large, brown eyes and he shakes his head.

"Don't call yourself weak either," He says. "Nobody that does what you've done all these years can be called weak. So, yes... you're strong and always believe in it," Baekhyun leans up and kisses Chanyeol's left cheek, lips lingering for a second. "After all, those words came from me, how can you not believe them?" 

A very bittersweet chuckle bursts through Chanyeol's lips and he inhales rather raggedly. This kid, he thinks, is really quite something.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

A few more tears and half an hour later, Chanyeol is ready. He's freshened up, charged his phone battery after asking to borrow Baekhyun's charging lead and he's all set to go. Thanks to those two sinister looking old grandpas, his car is no longer crippled by that mini Everest of snow. He's free to go, free to go to his wife and her parents. Shouldn't he be happy about this? Instead of relief and happiness, Chanyeol comes over with a very woeful force. It spreads through his bones and to his very core. It makes him feel cold. 

Baekhyun's Nana waves him goodbye from behind the bar as he stands by the door he only stepped through almost thirteen hours ago. 

"Take care out on the road young man. The snow might've let up, but there's still sleet on the roads," She warns with a caring smile and a warm heart.

"I will, thank you, Nana," Chanyeol calls back with a grin. "You take care now~ and you too, gentlemen," He bows towards the two old men and sighs when all they do is let out a grunt in response. Silly old fools.

Chanyeol steps outside, where Baekhyun is waiting by the door to see him off. He tightens the scarf around his neck and pulls his jacket snug around his body, standing face to face with the brunette male. 

"So," Baekhyun says.

"Yeah."

Chanyeol's fingers wiggle in order to stay warm, he's losing words before they've even formed.

"I'll be off now," He eventually plucks up enough courage to say this and it hurts more than he could have comprehended.

Baekhyun nods, holding his arms out in order to receive a hug, Chanyeol can only comply without hesitation. 

They wrap arms around each other, embracing the warmth that mingles between their bodies for that one last moment. Chanyeol gives Baekhyun a small squeeze, almost lifting his feet from the ground.

Holding him feels like home.

"Take good care of yourself, okay? And your wife too... I wish you both the very best," Baekhyun muffles into the collar of Chanyeol's jacket and presses his face a little further in before pulling away, pulling out of the giant's hold.

"Don't forget me, will you?" 

Chanyeol laughs, raising both eyebrows.

"I'm pretty sure that'll never happen," He assures, grabbing his car keys from his jacket pocket. "I'm certain, actually."

Baekhyun shoots him two thumbs up and a rectangular smile. His teeth are so white.

"I'll... catch you around," Chanyeol slowly backs away, moving towards his car. He doesn't want to look away, he can't.

He has to.

Without another word between the two, Chanyeol feels himself up, checking for his phone and wallet before getting into his car. He pulls his seatbelt across his body, clips it in place and starts the engine. It roars, the inside of the car instantly begins to heat up but Chanyeol still feels a bit chilly. He looks out the slightly frosted window and sees Baekhyun waving, the rectangle shape of his lips thinning out into a small line. 

Chanyeol waves, he waves with a sad smile and grips the steering wheel with both hands.

Soon enough, the car becomes nothing but a spec to Baekhyun's longing eyes, his heart freezes, skips a beat, then returns to its normal rhythm. 

Already he's struggling to remember Chanyeol's face clearly. That's the bitter reality of someone departing, no matter how much you wish to remember them, their image... the sound of their voice.

It all disappears much quicker than you want it to.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

It's at least another hour and a half before Chanyeol finally sets eyes on the large, manor-like house belonging to his parents-in-law. Unneccesassarily big and flashy, he thinks, but that's just his opinion. He pulls up into their large, cobblestone driveway and grimaces at the way his tires bump and how the car sways slightly just before he turns the engine off. As he unclips his seatbelt, Chanyeol can already hear the large double doors swinging open, Soojung's voice ringing in his ears once he is no longer in the car.  

Dainty arms are flung around his shoulders and he smiles, enveloping around her tiny body.  

"You're okay, you're safe," Soojung whispers, sounding mightily relieved. She pulls back, only enough to look into his eyes. "Where did you go?"  

Chanyeol dips in to kiss her nose lightly... and so the loving husband role sets in.

"The car got caught in a pile of snow, so I couldn't move... I stopped off at a cabin BnB and stayed the night there," He explains, Baekhyun's face flashing in his mind. "The people there were very helpful and welcoming... two old gentlemen even dug the car out of the snow."

Soojung, rubs his sides as he speaks, nodding diligently as Chanyeol spoke. "That's lovely," She chimes. "I'm happy you were well looked after," She nods. "I didn't sleep a wink last night, worrying about you... imagining you getting so blinded by snow that you crash somewhere."

"Sweetheart," Chanyeol coos. This woman is too sweet. "I would've replied to your messages, but my service ran out and the signal cut off."

"I know... but you know me, always worrying," Soojung yawns. "Will you come and lay in bed with me? I'll be able to sleep better now that I can be in your arms."

Chanyeol's head bobs in a nod, he says no more because it isn't necessary to speak.

Led through the large house, to the bedroom, Chanyeol watches Soojung crawl onto the mattress as he takes off his shoes, scarf, and coat. It's warm in the bedroom, warmer than the old cabin, thanks to under floor heating.

He climbs into bed, blanketing both their bodies with the plush duvet while acting as the big spoon. It feels familiar, being back here, like this. There's nothing to worry about, no need to anticipate the unknown... Soojung is Chanyeol's home, whether he loves her that way or not, he's just used to it and nothing can change that. 

Not even if he wants it to change. 

This is his life and how things are meant to be.

Chanyeol drifts off to sleep, nose buried in the crown of Soojung's head as Baekhyun's face passes through his mind one last time.

.

.

.

It was a pleasure to meet you, Baekhyun.

Goodbye.