st and only chapter

Mister Sungyeol Junior

“Ready and action!”

Lee Sungyeol jogged over to the female lead, only to stop her by her wrist. As she steadily turned around with tears in her eyes, he heaved a heavy sigh, “Jihee, must we break up again over such petty matter?” Then with all his strength he placed both hands on her shoulders and spun her toward him, “Why do you always listen to what others say? They’re not in a relationship with you, I am!” He took a deep breath as he squeezed her a little, then with a wet mad gaze, he looked right through her, “Fine. If you want to break up then let’s do it. It’s not like I’m the only one who’s been unfaithful,” then quickly he released her and walked away.

“Cut!” the director shouted before complimenting, “Well done Sungyeol!”

The tall and lean bowed with a grand smile, “Thank you, Director,”

For a moment Sungyeol’s eyes met the lead actress who flashed him a gentle smile. On the inside, Sungyeol was getting butterflies. She is an A star actress and Sungyeol was excited to hear he had landed the lead role alongside her. She was his role model and inspiration.

At his resting space, his manager and stylist approached him casually. “Good job Sungyeol,” said Manager Bae. “While you were playing your role, I didn’t see the director’s smile leave his face for a moment. He really likes you,”

Sungyeol dropped himself into his chair and rest his eyes, “Of course. Do you know any Hallyu star that directors don’t like?”

The older and shorter’s smile fade though he tried to stay positive, “Oh, you’re right. You’re always so smart Sungyeol,”

The one spoken to opened his lids and eyed his manager, “Smart?” he asked with a smirk. “It’s not that I’m smart. It’s just that you’re slow.” Clearly annoyed, Sungyeol got up from his seat and left their side.

In the restroom, he washed off his makeup before looking at his reflection in the mirror. For a brief moment, he wondered if he was too nasty toward his manager. After all the lad has been with him for nearly ten years. Then when someone flushed the toilet, it knocked Sungyeol back to the present.

Approaching him from behind was the director. The older stopped at the sink next to his and began washing his hands, “Did something happen? Your performance today was mediocre,”

Sungyeol looked over with hatred and wearisome, “What?”

The older grinned as he turned off the faucet and dried his hands on Sungyeol’s shirt. “I heard you brought your pet bird to the set last week. However, I heard something very interesting. That bird of yours. I hear others can’t see it? Are you making fun of everyone?”

“Look here director, your words are—”

“Oh,” the man cut him off then patted him on the shoulder, “I heard Rim told you she was color blind after asking what color your bird was. Truth is, she’s not color blind. You know it too, right? That everyone was pretending they could see it so you wouldn’t look stupid,”

Sungyeol grabbed onto the man’s collar immediately as he pulled the older close to him, “You dirty old man,” he clenched down on his teeth and breathed through his nose sharply, “what nonsense are you spewing this time?!”

“That’s right! There you go, this was the expression I wanted earlier!” The nameless pushed Sungyeol’s grip aside and run a hand through his short hair, “You know your role can easily be replaced right? So if you want to keep it you better stop telling people about this bird you have. You know I need your popularity for this project right?”

The director was one of the reasons why Sungyeol has become a monster. Ever since he brought his pet best friend to work, everyone has been giving him insincere stares and treatment; including those closest to him. On the same day, his manager asked where his pet was even when it was sitting on Sungyeol’s shoulder. Since then, Sungyeol felt he had the right to bully his manager.

But now he was confused.

What did the director mean?

Could no one see Mr. Sungyeol Jr.?

“Nonsense…,” Sungyeol mumbled. Sungyeol would know better than anyone that his bird was real. For six years he has lived and hasn’t gone a day without it.

On his ride back home, Sungyeol stayed silent as he stared out the heavily tinted window. Pondering and backtracking, Sungyeol now realized why no one had tried to touch his pet. They would get close but never lifted a finger near it. Without thinking, Sungyeol mumbled, “Impossible…. He’s waiting for me right now. I know he is,”

“S-sorry?” his manager/driver questioned, “W-what did you say Sungyeol?”

Sungyeol break his train of thoughts and turned to the seat in front of him, “I’m not going to the company. Turn the car around, take me home,”

“W-what? W-why?” the other stuttered.

The woman, his stylist, next to him went into a panicked mode, “Sungyeol, did you forget something at home? You have a fan signing in about an hour—”

Sungyeol leaned forward, “You’re right. I forgot Mr. Sungyeol Jr.,”

Disappointment washed over their faces as the woman tried to calm the actor down, “S-Sungyeol. I don’t think—”

Again, the lass was cut off, “I said turn the car around Bae Seungmin!”

                          MSJ                         

Once the door successfully unlocked for him, after he entered in the pin, Sungyeol swung the door wide open. With his manager and stylist on his tail, Sungyeol hurried into his own home. “Mr. Sungyeol Jr.,” he called, “are you here?” he walked around the corner to get a good look at his living room. Nothing but emptiness greeted the party of three. Glancing across the room, he noticed that the birdcage was unoccupied. And its small door was nicely shut. Sungyeol began sweating bullets. Was it true all along? Has he imagined the blue feathery creature all this time? “Mr. Sungyeol Jr. quit playing and come out!” Sungyeol fully entered the room as he scanned all four walls. A few seconds later he walked down the hallway and searched his room.

Like the living room, it was dead silent and rather eerily. His heart began pounding rapidly, “Hey, I said come out. Stop scaring me. You’ll be in a lot of trouble when I find you. Do you hear me, Mr. Sungyeol Jr.?!”

Hurriedly his manager sprinted into the room with him, “S-Sungyeol there’s nothing here. L-let’s go, you’ll be late,”

Sungyeol spun around to face the shorter, with horrified eyes he said, “The windows. Are any of them open? Maybe he got out?”

“Sungyeol—!”

He covered his ears and closed his eyes. He was dreaming. It was not true. His pet, Mr. Sungyeol Jr. an Indian Ringneck Parakeet was real. For six years, they’ve been inseparable. Sometimes, it was the bird’s mellow singing that put Sungyeol to sleep. Or it was the way he constantly talks and pretended to MC that had Sungyeol feeling like the television was on as he cooks dinner. Or the way....Sungyeol stopped himself, realizing something.

“Four years ago, Mr. Sungyeol Jr. fell sick so I took him to the vet. The veterinarian examined him. He treated him. Follow me. I’ll prove to you he’s real. Take me to the animal center down the block,”

                          MSJ                         

“You’ll like to request a written request; however, unfortunately, it’s our policy to only hold records up to three years. I’m afraid I can’t help you if you’re asking for a four-year-old-file-copy,” the woman behind the counter said.

Sungyeol gripped onto the edges of the counter’s surface, “You mean it’s not in the system? Maybe you don’t have it here, but another clinic has the backup files on hand?”

“Sorry, sir I—”

“Forget it, is the head vet here? I want to speak to him in person,”

Disappointment was written all over the woman’s face as she apologized yet again, “He’s on vacation and won’t be back until next week. I can leave a message for him in case he drops by or you can come back at a later time,”

Sungyeol tightened his jaw. He was using all of his energy to hold it together. He has been attacked and annoyed all day; nothing was going well for him. More importantly, he didn’t see Mr. Sungyeol Jr. at home.

To fulfill his duty, Sungyeol attended his fan signing event—though he was nearly an hour late. Despite how crude the day was treating him, he tried to be upbeat to cloaked it all. And as he also felt bad for those who looked up and support him. Little did they know, he may be insane.

                          MSJ                         

When Sungyeol returned home, it felt as if everyone was right. Even when he turned his place upside down; there was no sign of his feathered friend. The food in the crock was left untouched. There was no fallen feather. His place was spotless. Sungyeol dropped on the couch that sat facing the hanging cage. Speechless and exhausted, Sungyeol stared blankly into space.

It was as if someone invaded his home and took his best friend. The same friend that fit perfectly in his palm. The only friend that ate berries off his hands even though it tickled him. And he hardly puts up with teasing and tickling. Also, the one friend that told him he looked cute even when they're both males. 

Thinking back now, nothing made sense. He definitely recalled seeing the bird this morning before he left for work. And as it normally did, it said ‘goodbye’ to him. Sungyeol brushed a chunk of his hair back as he heaved a sigh. Then momentarily he felt his phone vibrate in his pants pocket. As he looked at the small screen, he saw that his manager was trying to get a hold of him. With three missed calls already.

The lad sighed as he picked it up with a sluggish tone. “What now?”

“Sungyeol, the head vet you were looking for just called me. He asked if he could meet with you now before he leaves for his overseas trip,”

Instantly wide awake, Sungyeol stood up from his seat, “Where is he right now?”

“Seoul Airport. He said he has to get on his flight in about an hour. So if you want to—” Sungyeol hung up and headed for his front door. He hailed a taxi and rushed the driver to the airport.

                          MSJ                         

Inside the large building, Sungyeol scanned around for the vet. Unaware that the fans and people have started to recognize him. Some ladies around his age approached him for a signature and though he wanted to refuse fan service, he habitually signed whatever was handed to him.

As the crowd around him slightly grow with paparazzi taking photos as well, Sungyeol was more concerned about the vet’s location. But five minutes later. Ten minutes. Twenty minutes. Thirty minutes later he was trapped in the center of a wave of people.  

Finally, after about forty minutes, security stepped in under Seungmin’s command and broke Sungyeol free. But rather than worrying about his safety, Sungyeol grabbed onto Seungmin and ordered, “Forget me, find me that vet before he gets on the plane!”

The shorter heard him loud and clear despite the chaos happening around them, “I will find him but you must wait in the car. Your drama can’t be affected by this,”

“Just bring him to me! Even if he misses his flight, tell him I will compensate him and pay for the next earliest flight!”

                          MSJ                         

Sungyeol was biting his nails as he sat alone in the van. With security and fans surrounding every side of the car, he wondered if Seungmin will even be able to the vet out. Moments later he got a text from Seungmin, and the message made his heart dropped and head ached.

Seungmin: His plane just left. I’m sorry Sungyeol.

Out of anger Sungyeol tossed his phone and screamed his heart out. His body began to heat up, his temple was sweaty, and he squeezed his eyes and fists. His jaw tightened to the point that it started to hurt.

                          MSJ                         

Some time later Sungyeol had his face tilted skyward as he rests his uneasy eyes. He squeezed onto the armrest as his heart pounded violently against his rib cage. He was in a rage.

Then seconds later, the door opened and quickly closed. “Sungyeol, here,”

The actor took a deep breath before opening his eyes. At this point, he was afraid he may hurt Seungmin even more. But when he saw the short lad arm stretched toward him with a paper in his hand, Sungyeol’s temper faded. “What is it?”

“The vet left it with one of the desk assistants. It’s a letter,”

Sungyeol snatched the paper and unfolded it quickly. As he started to read, he slowly straightened his back and sat up properly.

Dear Mr. Lee Sungyeol,

I am surprised to hear from you again. I heard from my assistant that you came in and asked for documentation regarding your bird I treated four years back.

I remember you and him clearly. It was on my mind for a while because of how bizarre it was then. But as you never came back, I suppose I have forgotten. I can assure you that he is in a better place.

Your bird, Mister Sungyeol Junior was truly one of a kind. He was a very sociable and intellectual bird. Even I found it hard to believe that he spoke so well. Before he passed, he wanted me to tell you how sorry he was. That it saddened him to leave you so soon. But when I made that phone call, a day after your visit, you thanked me for saving him. You told me he was doing well and that if anything happened you will bring him right back to me. It struck me as peculiar but at the time I assumed you have gotten yourself another friend, thus you were not held down by Mister Sungyeol Junior’s passing.

I guess I was wrong. You must have loved him dearly as he did you the same.

Mister Sungyeol Junior was cremated a week after your departure. However, I have given the consent to receive his ashes back. He is at Incheon Cremation Hospitality if you wish to pay him a visit. I am sure he will be delighted to see you again.

Yours faithfully, Dr. Park Joojung

                          MSJ                         

Sungyeol stood in front of the cage with soulless eyes and pale skin. And feeling empty. The sun was up but he had not budged one inch since the night before. Seungmin, who has stayed overnight, watched Sungyeol from behind. “I’ve set up an appointment for you. Tomorrow at ten I will take you to your therapist’s office. I guess you haven’t fully recovered from that accident on set five years ago, and perhaps it’s the cause for your imagination,”

Blocking Seungmin out completely, the male blinked slowly. In his mind, he was rehearsing the vet’s letter over and over again as if it was the script for his next project. You never came back. Before he passed. Thanked me for saving him. Incheon Cremation Hospitality. Without much thought, Sungyeol let Seungmin dress him up and take him down to the van for his next shoot.

At the set his love interest, the lead actress, approached him with a grand smile. Her red lips drew Sungyeol’s gaze in as she leaned toward him and whispered.

“I guess you can see them too, huh? Animals’ spirits.”