A Splash of Reality

Hate What We Lost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Okay, so little Jungkookie totally finds Tae attractive!” Jimin exclaims excitedly as he follows Jin to his bedroom.

They just said goodbye to Taehyung and Jungkook has retreated to his room after nearly falling asleep on his feet. He had been nodding off for at least ten minutes before Taehyung decided he should make his way home and let him get to bed.

The evening went better than Jin expected, not that he expected much to begin with. Taehyung was careful but still not averse to Jungkook’s attempts at talking to him and Jin thinks that they can be friends at least, if Jimin’s attempts at getting them together don’t work.

Namjoon enters behind Jimin and leans against the wall beside the door, listening curiously. Jimin throws himself on Jin’s bed, bouncing a little, and Jin moves to his wardrobe to get his pajamas on.

“As he should!” Jimin continues. “Tae is gorgeous! There’s no one like him!”

Jin rolls his eyes to himself and bites back a smile. Jimin always sings high praise of Taehyung’s beauty. Not that he blames him. Taehyung is very good looking.

“Well,” Namjoon speaks up and Jin glances at him over his shoulder. He meets his eyes, cheeks a faint pink. “Jin hyung is very beautiful too.”

Warmth rises to Jin’s cheeks and he turns back to the wardrobe to hide his shy smile. From the corner of his eye he catches Jimin looking between them, frowning.

“Okay, am I missing something?” he asks. “Or do you just not want to leave Jin hyung out?”

Jin looks back at Namjoon in time to see him avert his eyes and shrug. Jimin stares at him, eyes narrow.

“Whatever,” he says. “My objective is getting Taehyung a happy ending. You two solve your own situation.”

Jin’s cheeks flame and he refuses to look at either of them. He hears Namjoon clear his throat awkwardly and silence hangs heavy in the air for a few long moments until Jimin decides to break it.

“Right… so, I think I’ll go spy on Jungkook,” he announces. “Make sure he’s a decent human being and all.”

Jin whirls around to give him an exasperated look.

“Jimin,” he warns. “Don’t. That’s invasion of privacy. And he’s probably sleeping anyway.”

Standing, Jimin throws his hands up.

“Who am I going to tell?” he asks. “Other ghosts who can’t do anything about it anyway? This is for Taehyung!”

Jin frowns but before he can protest Jimin is out of the room. He sighs.

“Is he always like that when it comes to Taehyung?” Namjoon asks, looking at the door. “It’s as if he can’t think of anything else.”

“Yeah,” Jin murmurs and pulls his shirt off to put on the t-shirt he usually sleeps in. It’s big and comfy, though the hem is a little frayed and the Mario print is fading. “Especially when he finds a possible boyfriend for him. He’ll talk me into setting them up soon enough. Give it a day or two.”

Jin emerges from his t-shirt to find Namjoon looking at him. He pulls it down, fidgeting a little self-consciously. Suddenly he feels too shy to take his pants off, even though the t-shirt reaches his mid thighs. He picks at the loose threads in the hem.

“Am I making you uncomfortable?” Namjoon murmurs.

Jin meets his eyes and his cheeks warm.

“Not uncomfortable,” he mumbles. “A little shy maybe. But… well…”

Biting his lip, Namjoon nods and moves to the door. His face is a little pink again.

“I’ll go to the living room,” he says. “Good night.”

Jin gives him a soft smile.

“Good night,” he whispers.

Namjoon pauses, looking like he wants to say something more. Ultimately, he seems to settle on simply smiling back and leaves the room. Jin finishes changing and falls back on his bed with a huff, staring at the ceiling. Both he and Namjoon seem to have a mutual understanding that what is happening between them isn’t the best idea. Still, Jin can’t stop himself. It just comes so easily.

He takes a deep breath and gets up to go wash his face and brush his teeth. As he’s prone to lately, he decides not to think too much about it. He doesn’t need to stress over it right now, especially since Jimin seems set on pushing Jungkook and Taehyung together. Jin will need his energy to handle that mess when it inevitably doesn’t plan out how Jimin wants it.

The next morning finds Jin ignoring Jimin as he points out ways to get Jungkook and Taehyung to hang out while they take the bus to campus. Instead he tries to focus on showing Jungkook the way and making sure he remembers it, Namjoon trailing behind them quietly. They happen upon Yoongi and Hoseok in the same place as last time, to-go cups in hand, and Jin makes his way over to them to introduce Jungkook. Yoongi greets them sleepily, giving an almost nonexistent nod to Namjoon and Jimin. Jin wouldn’t have noticed it had he not known Yoongi could see them. He needs to learn how to do that too.

“Hi,” Hoseok says with a bright smile as they draw closer. “You’re new!”

Jungkook looks like he wants to sink through the ground and Jin puts an arm around him. He almost feels a little bad for Jungkook. Maybe he shouldn’t throw so many new people at him at once, though he seemed okay with Taehyung yesterday.

“This is my cousin, Jungkook,” he introduces him. “He just came back from Japan yesterday.”

“Hello,” Jungkook mumbles, staring at his feet.

Yoongi looks wholly unimpressed but Hoseok seems endeared.

“Hello, Jungkook,” he says kindly. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Hoseok.”

Jungkook nods, still not looking up except for taking quick glances at them. Hoseok nudges Yoongi in the ribs and Yoongi sighs.

“I’m Yoongi,” he says.

“Nice to meet you,” Jungkook nearly whispers. “Um…”

Jin catches Namjoon biting back a smile and Jimin pats Jungkook’s hair, though he can’t feel it.

“He’s so shy it’s painful,” Jimin sighs. “He wasn’t like this yesterday with Tae. No filter whatsoever. I think our plan will go smoothly.”

Yoongi raises his eyebrows at him before looking at Jin, who shakes his head subtly.

“Hyung!” someone calls and Jin turns to the sight of Taehyung jogging over to them.

Jungkook seems to snap out of his embarrassment and turns to watch him as he approaches them, alert. Jimin snickers.

“See?” he says. “Whipped already. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.”

Jin shoots him a quick look but smiles at Taehyung.

“Hi Tae,” he greets him, echoed by Hoseok.

Taehyung gives them all a bright smile.

“Hi, guys,” he says to everyone and turns to Jin. “I promised you I’d help Jungkook find his classes, but I realized we never specified time and place to meet. Good thing I caught sight of you.”

“Yes!” Jimin says growing even more excited and throws his arms around Taehyung. “This is great! Everything is going so smoothly! Tae’s going to get his happy ending!”

Jin refrains from sighing and detaches from Jungkook to ruffle Taehyung’s hair.

“Thank you, Taehyung.”

Grinning back, Taehyung motions Jungkook to follow him.

“Let’s go! I can show you around a bit before classes start,” Taehyung says to, a now frowning, Jungkook.

Jungkook stares at him for another second before he glances at Jin. He nods at him and makes a shooing motion.

“If any of us knows the language department, it’s Taehyung,” he says. “I’ll see you at lunch.”

Jungkook smiles hesitantly and nods.

“Okay,” he says as they begin walking away. “See you later, hyung.”

Jin waves and turns back to the others, catching the way Hoseok glances at Yoongi, then looks to him. Jin raises his eyebrows back at him and Hoseok grins cheekily.

“I’ll walk with you a bit,” he calls over to Taehyung and Jungkook, hopping down from his seat and holding up the cup in his hand. “You’re going by the canteen right? Need more sugar for my coffee.”

Yoongi scoffs and Jin exchanges a surreptitious look with Namjoon, who shrugs back.

“Is it even coffee anymore?” Yoongi asks. “It’s just milk and sugar at this point.”

Hoseok pulls an ugly grimace at him and turns to leave with Taehyung and Jungkook, happily chatting away. They watch them leave in silence for a few moments. Then Jimin turns to Jin, grinning.

“I can totally see this working hyung!”

Jin pinches the bridge of his nose and Yoongi chuckles under his breath.

“That’s what you said the last five times as well and see where that led,” he mutters and looks up at Jimin. “I’d rather not have you hate my cousin at the end of this.”

“But hyung,” Jimin whines. “I need Tae to be happy. If I don’t take every chance I get, it won’t happen. And it’s already practically happening on its own. They’re spending time together and I haven’t even had to do anything yet!”

Jin opens his mouth to argue, but Namjoon beats him to it.

“You can’t force feelings to form,” he says.

Jimin looks a little surprised by his input. Then he purses his mouth.

“Well, not everyone has it as easy as you and Jin hyung.”

Jin blushes and stares down at the ground much like Jungkook had. He doesn’t dare look up at either Namjoon’s or Yoongi’s reaction.

“What?” Yoongi says after a beat of silence.

After taking a deep breath, Jin forces himself to meet Yoongi’s piercing eyes. His expression doesn’t give anything away and Jin rolls his lips together, face growing even warmer as he glances at Namjoon, who’s blushing as well.

“U-um,” he stammers. “It’s nothing really.”

Namjoon nods. Yoongi continues to stare at them but doesn’t have time to say anything before Hoseok returns.

“Hey, you guys done flirting?” he teases. “We need to get to class.”

Jimin snorts.

“If only. He should be saying that to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter