A Ghost Called Namjoon

Hate What We Lost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jin likes to visit the cemetery.

Not because of the way it resembles a beautiful park with its flower patches and tree lined roads. Not because it is the one place in town where the birds constantly sing, the bees swarming the flowers harmonizing with them. Not even because he actually has a grave to tend to.

No, Jin likes to visit the cemetery because of his best friend, Jimin, and all the other ghosts who are always up for a bit of conversation. Though technically, Jimin has taken up residence in Jin’s apartment by now.

That’s right. Jin’s best friend is a ghost.

Jin has always been able to see ghosts. When he was little everyone, including himself, thought he had an abundance of imagination as he kept mentioning invisible people he played with. All the adults cooed at him how cute he was and pinched his cheeks. As he got older it stopped being cute and his parents began to worry. They sent him on a few therapy sessions and only then did it dawn on him that not everyone could see and play with invisible people to the extent he could. He quickly realized he was actually seeing ghosts. Once he had this little epiphany, he pretended he had been ‘cured’ and no one ever mentioned his ‘imaginary friends’ ever again.

But Jin still sees ghosts and, though he doesn’t play with them anymore, he still talks to them. They have the greatest stories to tell, especially those who passed long ago.

Jin never knew Jimin when he was alive; he only met him once his grave had been mounted in the cemetery. It was somewhat of a chock seeing a teenager among the old faces Jin had befriended over the years and his heart broke at the confused and lost look on Jimin’s face. He helped him come to terms with being a ghost and it didn’t take long before Jimin declared himself Jin’s best friend. He took up the habit of following Jin to university and sitting on the floor beside his desk, learning along with him. Jin doesn’t have the heart to shoo him away and he is actually quite helpful while studying. He even offered to help Jin on his exams once, suggesting he looked at other’s answers and relayed them to Jin, which Jin profusely protested against. He is no cheater.

It is also through Jimin Jin met Taehyung. Taehyung was Jimin’s best friend while he was still alive and he and Jimin had been on the cusp of dating when Jimin died. Now Jimin sees it as his duty to help Taehyung find someone new to fall in love with. He managed to needle Jin into helping him, as he is the only one who listens to Jimin’s plans and can set them in motion. And for Jimin’s plans to work, Jin had to befriend Taehyung.

Taehyung was extremely on edge and cautious the very first time they talked, since they have different majors and wouldn’t usually cross paths. Jin had not planned on putting too much effort into becoming friends with Taehyung, since he only talked to him to shut Jimin up, but once he saw how close Taehyung was to breaking apart due to Jimin’s death he couldn’t leave him alone. Taehyung soon became a very close friend and Jin is glad Jimin prompted him to talk to him. Jin doesn’t have that many friends.

They have yet to find a good enough person for Taehyung to love, though. It’s been a year and still they haven’t found someone Jimin thinks is good enough. Jin is beginning to suspect they never will.

“–in! Seok-Jin!”

Jin blinks and looks up at Jimin, who is standing over him, eyebrows raised, blond hair falling into his eyes.

“What?” he asks.

Jimin sighs.

“You’re spacing out,” he says. “You’ve been sitting in front of my grave for at least twenty minutes and staring into nothing. Is something wrong?”

Jin glances around and notices a few ghosts looking at him, worried, and another few visitors giving him weird looks. Giving them a reassuring smile, he turns back to Jimin, who’s still looking at him.

“I was just thinking about Taehyung,” he tells him and Jimin narrows his eyes.

“Like, thinking about him and daydreaming about him, or thinking about him and worrying?”

Jin rolls his eyes at him and stands up, brushing grass off his pants. He makes his way to the dirt road leading out of the cemetery and Jimin follows.

“I wouldn’t be opposed to you two dating you know, Hyung,” Jimin says, frowning. “You’re the best person I know.”

Jin glances at him. They have had this conversation countless times, ever since last year when Jimin first took it upon himself to ensure Taehyung’s happiness. At first Jimin subtly tried to tell Jin to make a move, but Jin ignored him in hopes of making him forget about it. He likes Taehyung, sure, but as nothing more than a friend. It hadn’t been hard noticing Jimin’s growing frustration at Jin’s unresponsiveness to his subtle nudges and one day he just outright stated he thought they would be good together and that Jin should ask Taehyung out.

Of course, he never did. That would be so extremely awkward.

“I know,” Jin says and opens the gate to exit the cemetery. “But I guarantee that neither Taehyung nor I feel that way about each other.”

Jimin purses his mouth and mumbles something unintelligible. Jin ignores him.

“We’re never going to find him anyone!” he exclaims and Jin startles a little, in turn startling a few people around him on the street.

“Well, if you weren’t so picky we would have found someone ages ago,” Jin mutters underneath his breath, only loud enough for Jimin to hear.

Jimin scowls at him as they stop at a red light and holds up his hand.

“The first guy was too clingy, the second had no hygiene, the third was so deep in the closet he probably found Narnia,” he counts on his fingers.

Jin glances around, making sure no one can hear him, before he murmurs: “I thought the fourth guy was okay. He was smart, considerate and had humor.”

Jimin scoffs.

“He also had mommy issues.”

Jin sighs and is about to cross the street when he notices over Jimin’s shoulder a young man sitting at a bus stop a few steps away. The people move around him as if he is non-existent and some even pass right through him. He seems not to care and only stares ahead of him, unmoving.

Jin tunes out Jimin’s complaints about guy no.5 and moves around him, towards the young man. His clothes are modern – ripped jeans, simple t-shirt, well-worn sneakers – which means he died recently, and his hair is bleached.

Jin comes to a stop in front of him, head tilted, eyes searching his face. The guy doesn’t seem to notice, even though he is staring right at Jin. Or well, Jin’s stomach. It isn’t until Jin clears his throat that he looks up, surprised. Jin smiles and waits for the people at the bus stop to pile into the bus that has just arrived before sitting down beside the guy. He’s lucky there’s only one bus going from this stop, which means they have a few minutes alone before it fills with people again.

Having followed, Jimin takes a seat on the other side of the young man.

“Hi,” Jin begins. “I’m Seokjin, but you can call me Jin.” He points at Jimin. “That’s Jimin.”

The guy blinks at him and then glances at Jimin, hesitant.

“I’m Namjoon,” he says, voice low. “Why can you see me?”

Jimin laughs.

“I’m dead, so it’d be weird if I didn’t see other ghosts,” he says and Namjoon flinches. Jimin motions to Jin. “He’s just weird.”

Jin glares at him but quickly replaces it with a soft smile when Namjoon looks at him again.

“I’m dead?” he asks.

Frowning, Jin nod

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter