Chapter 4

[currently] Seiko vs Horikoshi: Hidden Love

Chapter 4

 

The car carrying Nakamaru Yuichi arrived  at the mansion of Ueda Tatsuya sometime after 8pm. She would have arrived earlier if traffic had not been so bad, but as it was the New Year’s Eve everyone appeared to being going someplace that night. It was beyond hectic. Finally, the driver was pulling up to the gates of the Ueda mansion, once she was confirmed on the list the guards opened the gates and the slick black town car drove through the massive gates and up the winding drive way the circled infront of the home.

 

This wasn’t the first time Yuichi had been to Tatsuya’s home but every time she came she could not help but be awed. There were still other cars arriving also so she didn’t feel as bad that she was late.

 

“Madam?” The driver said. It took Yuichi a moment to realize that he was speaking to her.

 

“Sorry, Yes?”

 

The driver smiled kindly at her. “I will be waiting for you whenever you need to go back. Have a fun time” and at the moment an attendant opened the door to assist Yuichi out of the car; taking a deep breath as she gave her hand to the attendant as he assisted her from the car.

 

The young attendant, taking Yuichi in, could only think how pretty she was, the gorgeous blue gown indeed making her look like a modern day Cinderella. Smiling gently, shyly, in thanks she walked up the steps to the front door remembering to be careful as she navigated the steps. The heavy front door was being held by the Ueda’s long time butler, Hidehioro-san. It was somewhat calming to see a familiar face.

 

Hidehiro smiled largely at the sight of Yuichi and he could help thinking that his mistress  did a excellent job of picking out her dress. Already Yu-chan could tell that Tatsuya’s parents have spared no expense for their daughter’s first ball.

 

Once inside the grand foyer hallway, she briefly stopped at a large ornate gilded mirror that was taller and wider than she was. It gave her a full view of herself from the tip of her heels that barely peeked from under the hem of her skirt to the top of her hair. She again marveled at how she looked.  Taking one final look at herself she places the blue intricate mask that would partially cover her eyes and nose and forehead. When it was securely on her face she picked up the front of her dress, slightly, allowing her to walk more comfortably. She made her way down the hallway leading to the ball room.

 

***

Among the cars that pulled up behind Yuichi, there was one carrying two young men of Tokyo high society. One was actually invited to the party; the other was a party crasher. By all accounts he shouldn’t have even thought about entering into enemy territory. But for some unknown reason it could not be helped.

 

“Explain to me why you’re here with me instead of a hot female?” Akanishi Jin asked. As he pulled up behind the car that had been traveling in front of his car. They both watched as a tall statuesque female in a royal blue gown exited the car.

 

“Because, you were whining so pitifully about having no one to go with you to this thing, that I felt sorry for you.” Taguchi Junnosuke said as he took his eyes off the mysterious lady in blue and glanced at his best friend.

 

Jin frowned, “That whining was for your benefit, but it wasn’t for you to come with me, I was hoping you would suggest your sister as my date.”

 

Junno snorted. “Like I would trust her with the likes of you.”

 

Despite what Junno just said, he did trust Jin. He just wasn’t so keen on the idea of his best friend and his little sister.

 

“Whatever,”  Jin said, exiting out of the car Jin handed the Keys to the attendant and with Junno who was already securing his masquerade mask over his face they walked up the steps to the Ueda mansion.

 

“Are you sure that its okay for you to be here? You know it could become a major situation if Ueda-san realizes that his mortal enemy’s son stepped foot into his house.” Jin whispered to Junnosuke.

 

“Shhhh!!! It won’t be, as long as no one knows. Look…I just want to have fun and this is just as good a place as any.” Junno said as the entered into the grand hall with JIn.

 

Jin still wasn’t quite so sure about this. Why did his gut tell him that his friend was walking into danger?

 

There was a long and sordid history between the families of Ueda and Taguchi. In some places in the story, that was part mythic legend, there was even bloodshed, which unfortunately was not made up legend but reality. It bordered on the fantastic.  No one knew when the hateful vendettas between the two families started. Legend says that that their ancestors, once mighty and powerful samurai clans were once friendly allies-- then a transgression took place on the side of the Ueda clan rendering the alliance between the family resulting in bloodshed on both sides. And it has continued to this day centuries later. Each side despising the other.

 

It was no wonder Jin was apprehensive about Junnosuke being there. But as usual, Junno maneuvered among the many guests of the ball as if it was anywhere else but his enemy’s territory.

 

***

Butterflies had entered into Yuichi’s stomach as she walked into the ballroom. The music played and there were couples on the dance floor, but since Yuichi had never been light on her feet she doubted that she would be on the floor any tonight. Recognizing Tatsuya, as she held court in an opposite corner of the room, she managed to catch her eye then as discreetly as possible waved to her best friend. She noted that Ryo is by her side. She could also tell that Ryo was attempting not to look bored by the chatter of her peers that was clustered around them.

 

Ryo Nishikido was twenty years old and a student at the University of Todai (Tokyo University). The only son of a business partner of Tatsuya’s father, he was a little more mature than the guys that Tat-chan usually fawned over but Yuichi could see why she liked him. He was very handsome, although he possessed a snarky poison-like tongue, although he had not turned it onto Tatsuya. At least, not while they were in public, they did that in private; it was some sort of sick apparently between the two of them, or at least that was Tatsuya once told her. Yuichi couldn’t see what was so romantic about exchanging snarky comments with the person that you really liked. Yuichi just figured, as usual, she was out of the loop.

 

Noticing the bar on the opposite side of the room serving non-alcoholic drinks she decided to make her way there first. She was thirsty and hungry since she hadn’t eaten in the past few hours. It wouldn’t hurt to snarf down some appetizers.

 

As she made her way through the throng of people she took notice of the attendants. Everyone was dressed magnificently. There was no doubt that this was high society and for the first time, at least outwardly, Nakamaru Yuichi looks like she belongs.

 

As she got closer to the bar, someone bumped into Yuichi sending her off balance, her feet tripping over themselves and before she realized what had happened she began to realize the floor was heading dangerously close to her face. And it seemed that she was taking an innocent bystander with her. But in the last second the mysterious person righted himself along with her as his warm strong arm s its way around her waist.

 

“Be careful” he whispering into her ear. His warm breath caressed her ear and her neck, sending a shiver down her spine. She looked up into the face of the man that held her in his arms. His face was covered by a mask, which only seemed to emphasis his eyes, piercing dark brown eyes that bordered on black. Her breath caught in .

 

“ummm, yeah…thanks.”

 

He smiled  removing his arm from around her waist, instantly she wished that he hadn’t.

 

“I think I need to get back. Try not fall while I’m gone, okay?” He said and with a nod of his head he was gone.  All Yuichi could do was blush. What was up with her and her feet? She wondered. She turned to make her way in the direction she had been going earlier when she suddenly turned back. Had she met him before? Where had she heard that voice before? Not being able to place it she shrugged her shoulders. Turning she made her way to the other side of the room.

 

***

Koki had been helping out at the bar when Kame had radioed that he was needed in the kitchen and would apparently be there the rest of the night. One of the helpers to the caterer had cut her hand very badly and was sent to the hospital. As Koki had more experience being in the kitchen than Kame they were now going to switch places, where he helped make more of the foodstuffs while Kame-chan would circulate with the food trays. He had been leaving to do just that when he had prevented the socialite from falling on her face.

 

When she looked into his eyes, the world stopped. He could tell her nose is straight and full matching her lips. Those lips…Koki nibbled on his while he thought about them. He shook himself and willed his thoughts away from those very lips. Besides if she was here at THIS party as a guest then she was way out of his league, like millions of yen out of his league. If she knew that he worked at a modest ramen shop and owned almost next to nothing she would scream bloody murder for him touching her.

 

Entering into the kitchen, he walked into total chaos.

 

“Koki!!” Kazuya called out. “Thank goodness that you’re here.”

 

Looking at the scene before him, he inwardly sighed. It was going to be a long night indeed.

 

***

Yuichi sighed and knew that it was going to be a long night. She had around half past 8pm and now it was at least thirty minutes till midnight struck. And just as she expected she was not paired up. Tatsuya’s plan had worked in getting together people that she knew in her life matched up in romantic pairs, all except Yuichi. If she allowed herself to admit it she would say she was disappointed, but only if she admitted it, which she wasn’t about too.

 

The night hadn’t been a total dud. She had quite a few guys ask her to dance, and she had danced more then she ever had in her life up to this point. But she hadn’t been able to engage in witty conversation with them to get them “hooked”. Yuichi’s tongue tripping over itself and she not even quite sure that she could be engaging anyway. She sighed.

 

“Hey?” Tatsuya greeted her. Ryo had gone off to talk to some friends of his that she had also invited while she had made her way to Yuichi. “I saw you dancing tonight! There were quite a few guys interested in you…” Tatsuya narrows her eyes. “So why are standing here alone?”

 

“Because apparently I am not that engaging.” Yuichi bumps her best friend’s shoulder, giving a small smile. “But thanks for trying. This was actually somewhat fun.” Yuichi wasn’t making anything up, she had some fun despite not catching anyone’s eyes.

 

“I’m glad…although I really wanted to see you all bright eyes and goofy smiling snuggled up with a guy. But we can take this as s step one.” Tatsuya said.

 

“Step One?!” Oh no what is she up to now? Yuichi wondered.

 

Just as Tatsuya was about to explain, her eyes landed on one of the guest, her brow frowning as she watched him watching her. Yuichi realizing that her friend’s attention is now diverted elsewhere, her line of sight followed Tatsuya and landed on a tall handsome man in a black tux. He hear was cute in a fasionable hair style that complemented his face. The sides were closely shaved with the middle section longer. Of course they couldn’t see his full face because just as everyone he was wearing a mask. But from his build and what they could see he was a very handsome man.

 

“Who is he? And why is her burning a hole into you with his eyes?” Yuichi asked.

 

“I have no idea. He’s been eye stalking me all night. Do I know him?” Tatsuya said as she turned to Yuichi making sure her back was now face the mystery man.

 

“How should I know?”  Yuichi raised an eyebrow.

 

“Is he still looking?” Tatsuya asked.

 

“Hmm…yeah…wait. He’s coming this way. His seemed determined.”

 

“Man, my instincts do not like this. Every fiber in me wants to run.”

 

Yuichi that that was weird.

 

“Well, If you want to run you better do it now.”

 

“Run where?” That question was posed to Tatsuya just as she was about to walk off in another direction. It was her friend Jin who asked her that question.

“Jin!” Tatsuya asked all startled.

 

“Why do you look like a rabbit caught in the corner by a fox”

 

“Hello, ladies.” The Mystery Man had arrived.

 

Because that is EXACTLY what this feels like. Tatsuya thought. She flipped the hair out of her face and turned her body towards the mysterious man and looked him straight on. Up close he was more handsome them he appeared and Tat-chan thought how could that be possible? Ryo was the most handsome man in Japan, but she couldn’t stop her self from running her eyes over the strong shoulders, the breadth of his chest, his height towering over her somewhat. His scent floated to her and enraptured her. Why does he smell so…delicious? Quickly snapping out of her haze, she greeted him.

 

“Hello.”  Tatsuya paused for a moment. “ Do I know you? You’ve been really rude with the way that you have been staring at me all night.”

 

“Rude how? I was simply admiring the most beautiful woman in the room.” Mystery man said.

 

Okay, so he has a slick tongue. Now I really don’t like him.

 

“Your name?” Tatsuya asked.

 

Jin and Yuichi just shared a look between each other both deciding to watch this play out.

 

“…Ta…Taka…Taka Junnosuke. Your’s?”

 

Tatsuya snickers. “If you came with Akanishi…I assume this because you’ve hung out with him most of the night…then you know who I am.” She smirked.

 

“So you’ve HAVE been watching me all night too.” The smirk dropped from her face.

 

Before Tatsuya could say something, a female waiter came offering them the last round of drinks. Jin watched the way she moved and there was definite interest in his eyes. She ignored him, or rather she was unaware, of the interest that Jin was emitting. He watched the curving backside walk away from him. Completely forgetting about his friend Taguchi AKA Taku Junnosuke flirting with his arch enemy’s daughter he followed HIS mysterious lady.

 

“Jin? Where are you going?” Tatsuya called. She had hoped he would take his friend with him.

 

Jin turned around, walking backwards. “I think I found my New Year’s Kiss.”

 

At that Yuichi was jolted. She had totally forgotten about the New Year’s Kiss. Looking at the clock on the far wall she noted that it was now 20 minutes to midnight.

 

The origin of this kissing tradition (supposedly) dates back to the Ancient Romans who used to throw huge parties where they'd all kiss and debauch (code for wild inhibited ) each other until they passed out. Tatsuya had told her she had kind of liked the idea of that…her and Ryo…you get the idea. Yuichi had wanted to wash her brain out with soap and water after all the verbal visuals Tat-chan had teasingly told Yuichi. Tatsuya had only done that to watch the innocent scandalized expressions of her best friend.

ANYWAY…Later on, the English and Germans celebrated a little differently by kissing the first person they met at midnight. The Scots, on the other hand, were a little more free spirited and customarily try to give everyone in the room a kiss as way to ring in the New Year.

 The Europeans (wouldn’t that include the English, German and the Scots?)  were a bit more classy and held masquerade balls (where do you think Tatsuya got the idea from) where the masks symbolized evil spirits and kisses were acts of purification once the masks came off.

Legend has it that a kiss at the of midnight on New Year's Day will bring you a full year of happiness, and kissing those closest to you will strengthen the bonds of those relationships in the year to come. However, legend also has it that failure to score a New Year's kiss in the nick of time will only bring you a year of loneliness

The idea of that totally irked Yuichi! The idea of kissing everyone in the room or the first person you meet at midnight kind of…you don't know where their mouths have been!! Of even if they brushed even once that whole day! You know that random stranger you kissed last year? He or she could have had herpes for all you know...Yuichi is just saying. The whole kissing thing is a tradition she’d rather forgo thank you very much. Besides, there's hardly anything romantic about kissing and debauchery combined.

Personally, the New Year's kiss is much more than a tradition. For some reason, she’s always imagined it to be special and with someone worth kissing. For some, the New Year's kiss has always marked the beginning of a new relationship or the continuation of an existing one.

 Actually to be honest, Yuichi didn’t really have a probably with kissing on New Year’s Eve. It was just that on New Year's Eve the kiss is supposed to be a special and totally magical kiss. She didn’t want to waste her New Year's kiss on just anybody--it only comes around once a year. Was it so wrong to want to kiss the person that she was destined to spend the rest of her life with? 

At that moment Yuichi felt the need to be alone. She didn’t want to be in the midst of kissing fools when the clock midnight.

“Tat-chan. I think I need some air. Umm…I’ll let you talk a little longer with Taka-san”

“Yu-chan!!  Waa..” But Yuichi was already lost in the crowd.

Tatsuya turned and glared at Junnosuke who now had this goofy grin on his face. She narrowed her eyes and wondered if it would get her into too much trouble if she tried her new boxing moves on him.

***

 

Yuichi made her way to the large veranda that reminded her of the one in the Sound of Music. Being careful of the hem of her full skirt, she slowly and carefully walked down the steps that led to the walkway leading to the manmade lake. Seeing the marble bench that she was looking for she walked to it. Once seated she looked up at the night sky. It was really beautiful and clear. Tightening her wrap around her she set in silence for a moment.

The distinct glow of a ciggy being inhaled and the fragrant scent of tobacco began to fill the air.

“So you came to escape too?”

Yuichi, startled, turn in the direction of the voice. It was him.  He walked out of the shadows towards her.  His mask  in his left hand and his cigarette in his right.  Once he came into the moonlight, she inwardly gasped.

It was him. The guy she had run into at the ramen shop. Her heart started to race again. So she hadn’t been wrong she had met him before.

Realizing that he had asked her a question she answered it after a minute of silence.

“Yeah. How about you? Why aren’t you with your date?” Yuichi asked. Koki gestured to the seat in a nonverbal request to sit next to her. She nodded her head in agreement.

It had occurred to him, with her question that she was completely unaware that he was the help and not a guest just as she was.  Koki was unsure if he should be honest or not. She was really pretty even with the mask hiding her face. The voluminous gossamer of her skirts swirled around her. He had watched her from the glass window in the kitchen door as she had glidded effortless across the floor in the arms of the luck guys that night. Why she was out here all alone he didn’t know.

“No date…I could ask the same of you.” Koki looked at her. He put left hand on his knee and took a drag from the ciggy with his right. With that last exhale he carefully put out the cigarette.  He really needed to stop smoking. Maybe that should be my New Year’s Resolution Koki thought.

“No really cute guys caught my attention yet.” Yuichi said blushing. All she could think was this guy named Koki was so amazing stunning. Her heart was going to go out it was beating so hard. And her hands were sweating again. Was she going into heat?! This is seriously crazy. “I just decided that I would ring in the New Year out here.”

“Alone? That doesn’t sound fun.”

“Hey, you were out here by your self. Wasn’t that what you going to do?’
 

“Maybe” Koki Said. Yuichi tilted her head and looked at him. “Yes I was.” Yuichi gave a gentle laugh.

“Okay then.”

“Well, now were together so we won’t ring in the New Year by ourselves.”

For a moment they sit in silence. Then for no reason that she understands Yuichi asks him a question.

“Do you believe in all this New Year’s Eve Kissing business?”

For a moment he doesn’t say anything. Then leaning back he looks at her.

“It’s a nice idea. The fantasy that the person you kiss could bring you romantic happiness for the year.”

“Then that’s a no.”

“Do you?’

“The totally practical side of me—no. The hidden Romantic that no one know is there—totally yes.”

Yuichi had no idea why she admitted that to this complete stranger, but in spite of her obvious attraction to him, it was oddly easy to talk to him. She figured it had to be his eyes, even though they were piercing they were warm and friendly.

Koki glanced at his watch. It was two minutes to midnight. He instantly got the craziest idea.

“Then would you be offended if your New Year’s Kiss came from me?”

What the fu--? Did he just…?

“Are you serious?” Yuichi asked her breath catching in .

Koki just looked at her all cocky, like it was every day he offered girls he just met kisses. She didn’t know what to think about that.

“One minute.” Koki announces.

They can both here the sounds of the party revelers get louder and noisy, their voices floating down to them. And before she knew it she could hear…

“10…9…8…7…”

Could she do that?

“6…5…4…3..”

Before she analyze the situation any further she leaned forward, and seeing that she was going to take him up on his offer he leaned forward as well.

“2..” They were a breath apart. “1!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!” And amongst the shouting, the horns blowing and general madness, Nakamaru Yuichi experienced her first and possibly the most beautiful kiss.