Final

Mornings

 

Yoongi wakes up to sun rays pouring in through the window. The room is brightly lit due to Jimin wanting to keep the curtains open through the night so he doesn’t miss the sun rising in the morning. Yoongi would have pointed out how fitting it was that a member of the Sunshine Line loves to see the sunshine in their room, but he was a man of few words and preferred not to waste them on stating the obvious.

 

The elder never wakes up early enough to watch the sunrise. By the time he finally wakes, Jimin is already up. The city outside their window is slowly coming to life, and Yoongi can’t help but smile when he sees the familiar cups of tea. One in the red-head’s hand, and one on the nightstand next to their bed that had been prepared for Yoongi.

 

The younger is standing next to the window looking out. When the blonde sits up Jimin hears the rustling of sheets and turns to face him. Jimin smiles brightly and Yoongi can’t fight the grin forming on his lips. Normally, the rapper can control his expression, he knows how to keep a stoic face, but it proves rather difficult when it comes to the ball of enthusiasm in front of him.

 

Yoongi grabs the mug on the nightstand and gestures for the younger to sit next to him. The one gestured to complies. Yoongi takes a sip of the tea with one arm and wraps the other around Jimin’s shoulders, in a sort of side-hug. The vocalist says good morning, and although Yoongi can tell he has a lot to say, he’s polite enough to allow Yoongi to reply, ¨Good morning¨ before speaking.

 

Jimin then proceeded to ramble on about the dream he had just had the night before. He had gone as far as typing it out on his phone immediately when he woke up, so he wouldn’t forget anything when telling it. Somewhere in the middle of Jimin’s talking they had put their mugs down and had shifted on the bed. They leaned against the headboard, almost laying down, Yoongi’s arm was now around Jimin’s waist, their hands interlocked.

 

Yoongi focused on how animatedly Jimin continued, his free hand and facial expressions moved quickly as he spoke. Yoongi tucked Jimin’s head under his chin and said “I love you.” He knew it was probably impolite to interrupt, but seeing how cute the other looked in his arms had made him say it on impulse. Jimin stopped midway through a sentence and looked up at the one who directed the affectionate phrase towards him. It seemed the younger didn’t mind having been talked over when his smile was brighter than the one he had given Yoongi earlier that morning.

 

Yoongi saw Jimin’s lips move to form, “I love you too,” and Yoongi remembered just how thankful he was that he no longer had to keep his feelings in. He thought back on the times when Jimin would be sitting this close, but would feel much further away, the times when he had wanted to say the same three words and couldn’t. He felt like a balloon that was about to burst.

After a couple seconds, the rapper realized something was wrong. He knows he had seen Jimin mouth the words, but he hadn’t heard them.  Yoongi focused a little and noticed the noises outside had faded too, and everything started moving in slow motion.

 

Then he woke up.

 

Yoongi opened his eyes and rose to a dimly lit room. The darkly colored curtains were shut, allowing almost no sunshine in. He breathes in deeply as to not let his chest collapse as reality sunk in. It had been a dream.  Again. Their mornings always used to look like that, that’s why the memory is still vivid enough for the dream to be so detailed. So real is the dream that Yoongi never realizes he’s asleep until the end, and each time it’s like bucket of cold water is poured on him when he wakes.

 

Tears fall from his eyes as he tries his best to hold off the flashbacks of restless nights, hospital beds, and whispers of false forevers. He tries to shut off his own voice fakely promising his partner that everything was going to be okay.

Yoongi sits on their bed, facing the window Jimin used to love so much, and wondered just how long it would take for time to start healing.