Chapter one; Donghyuck being annoying, but doing something right

Salty sea but sweet kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The colours were Jaemin's favourite. The colours of the sky. The way they could change all the time. The way they were different from the deep darkness of the ocean. He often used his time on the top of the water. Watching the sky. His tail far into the water. His shoulders seeing the light of day. His wet hair sticking to his forehead.

"Jaemin." He didn't need to look to see who it was. He already knew. It was his best friend. It was Donghyuck.

"Hey." Jaemin could see Donghyuck's orange tail moving in the water. He liked Donghyuck's tale. It was thin and long. The colour shining in the light. His fin was big and beautiful. He looked at his own. The vibrant green colour screaming. The scales all individually having more colour than any other tail he had ever seen. His tail was even thinner than Donghyuck's. It was longer too. Jaemin wasn't the longest in the Storm Sisters and Brothers, but still. He was taller than some other merpeople. His fin a softer green than the rest. Moving with the stream when he was still.

"You up here again?" Jaemin let out a sharp breath.

"I'm here every day Donghyuck. You know that." He didn't answer. Only swimming up to Jaemin. Leaning on the same stone as him. The stone that took the ship laying on the bottom of the sea many years ago. The stone that made Jaemin curious enough to swim up.

"We're going to a gathering of the youngsters. You want to go?" Jaemin sighed. He knew he wasn't allowed to go. If somebody from the blue light showed up his family would kill him.

"You know I can't." It was Donghyuck's time to sigh. Jaemin always felt bad about the rivalry between the blue light and the storm sisters and brothers, but he didn't have a choice. The rivalry had lasted longer than he or his family had lived. It was part of them.

"Just this once. Please." Donghyuck hugged Jaemin over the shoulders. Pleading him to go. He really wanted to, but he didn't know how to get away with it.

"How?" He tried to look Donghyuck in the face. Only seeing part of him.

"We say no blue light kids were there. None of the elders are there anyway." He thought about for a minute. Thinking about his own family back home. His mum, his father, his brothers. The difference between the Storm Sisters and brothers and the rest is only one thing. They call everybody family. They weren't that many anyway.

"Okay," Donghyuck shrieked in happiness. "Only if Yuta never finds out. He would kill me." He didn't get an answer of Donghyuck before being pushed into the water. Deeper and deeper. Seeing less and less of the beautiful sky.

The next hour following were Jaemin being nervous, and Donghyuck excited. He had never met any of the other kids except Donghyuck. It was as if he didn't exist outside of his own family and Donghyuck.

The first colours he saw was yellow and dark purple. He tried to guess which one of the clans they were from, but couldn't. One was loud and swam around the other while talking. While the other only swam straight forward. Already having eye-contact with Jaemin. His heart gave a hard thump.

"Hey guys." Donghyuck swam up to them. Pulling Jaemin after him. "This is Jaemin. He's from the Storm Sisters." Jaemin groaned.

"And brothers." Donghyuck made a noise at him. Turning to the strangers again.

"Hi Jaemin. I'm Renjun and this is Chenle. We're from the Sky Nation." It wasn't weird Jaemin couldn't guess where they were from. The Sky Nation were always different. Rumour had it they originally came from the sky. Accidentally falling into the water.

"Hi.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter