House Husband

House Husband

Jinyoung groaned as he put the finishing touches on dinner. The kids were all quiet, too quiet, even, and he, being at his wits end for the day, was just about to yell at all of them for whatever they were probably doing when the sound of his husband’s car came from their driveway. Sighing happily, he put their meal on the table and went to meet Jaebum at the door like the disgruntled house husband he was, in need of much affection and relief from the days stresses.One his way through the hallway, he snatched the red crayon from one of their many son’s shooting the child a stern glare.

 

“What did I say, Youngjae?” Tapping his foot, he nodded toward the half finished expletive on the wall.

 

“ is a grown up word and just because I can spell it doesn’t mean I should.” Pouting, the five year old retreated to his room, probably for a new crayon to add to the growing rainbow of swear words on the family’s entrance wall.

 

“Honey, I’m home~” Jaebum’s cheerful voice chased away the tension headache that had been growing all day and it was all Jinyoung could do not to fling himself into the arms of the exhausted man.

 

“Just in time~” Half skipping to his husband’s side, he gave the man a soft kiss. “I just finished cooking dinner. Clean up while I herd the kids into the kitchen.” Parting ways with the other man left him feeling almost lonely as he entered the living room where the oldest of his children was occupying himself, music videos playing on their big screen as he texted at lightning speed.

 

“Yo pops.” Jackson held up a hand in a half wave as he took a selfie on his phone, sending it to his boyfriend. “Hakyeon says hi.”

 

“Tell him hi back.” Chuckling softly, he shook his head. “Dinner’s done. Where’s Mark?”

 

“The usual.” Jackson nodded toward the staircase as he got up to go eat. Growling in frustration, Jinyoung stomped up to the top floor, pushing his son’s door open without so much as a knock. “Markifer, I swear, child. If you’re up here vaping again, I will tell your father.”

 

“Dad. My name is not Markifer.” Rolling his eyes, Mark shut down his laptop and got off the bed. “I learned my lesson about vaping when you had dad give me the ‘if you want to up your lungs we’ll just make you smoke real cigarettes’ .”

 

“Yeah but ‘Mark’ hardly sounds stern. I never knew you’d be such a troublemaker when I named you.” Sighing, Jinyoung shook his head. “Dinner’s done. And don’t swear, young man.” Giving him a glare, Mark muttered the expletive under his breath as he passed by Jinyoung. Naturally, he would never admit to it, because that would be bad parenting, but Mark was definitely his least favorite child. With the worst of it out of the way, he went to the nursery to retrieve the baby.

 

“Aughhde” Babbling at him in that special way all babies have, Yugyeom was happy and refreshed after his nap. Cradling the baby, Jinyoung glanced around the room, wondered where his toddler may have gone.

 

“Baby~ I have Bam Bam and Youngjae sitting at the table!” As if by magic, Jaebum answered his silent questions, prompting him to return to the lower floor to ensure his family was fed. As was normal, he children nearly choked themselves scarfing down their meal in some kind of strange nightly speed eating contest. Watching in mild horror as he spoon fed the baby, Jinyoung wondered why exactly his well fed children insisted on acting like starving animals every time a meal was presented to them. As soon as plates were spotless, the kids wandered off to relax before they went to sleep and Jaebum, much to Jinyoung’s relief, began washing the dishes as he finished feeding their youngest spawn.

 

“How was your day, Jinnie?” Jaebum questioned, still every ounce the gentleman that he was when Jinyoung married him all those years ago.

 

“Mark was doing typical stupid teenager stuff with those ty friends of his I don’t like. I may have walked in on our oldest ing his boyfriend when I was gather laundry. Yugyeom ate so much applesauce today that he threw up all over BamBam, who, as anyone would, screamed bloody murder until I gave him a bath and put Yugyeom down for a nap. Youngjae. That child... He learned a new word. Just ask the colorful artwork on the wall in the hallway.” Taking a deep breath, he gave his husband an appreciative smile. “How was work?”

 

“Probably easier than you have it here, honestly, being a lawyer seems a lot less stressful. I could never be as great as you are with our kids.” Drying off his hands, Jaebum walked over to sit beside Jinyoung, kissing him lovingly as he took over feeding the baby. “Take the rest of the night off to relax, okay? I’ve got all this covered.”

 

“I can’t.” Pouting, Jinyoung turned to rest his head on Jaebum’s shoulder for a moment, comforted by their close proximity. “I have to scrub the rainbow off of our wall. Your mother is coming in the morning and I don’t need that kind of shame.”

 

“Well you wont have to do it alone. We’ll get the kids in bed, make some fancy coffees, back some cookies, and make a night of it.” Grinning, Jaebum pulled Jinyoung into a deep kiss, causing the man’s heart to skip a beat with happiness before Yugyeom flung his sippy cup of chocolate milk across the kitchen. “I will clean that as well.”

 

“You worked all day. It’s the least I can do.” Sighing, Jinyoung kissed him again before getting up to retrieve some paper towels, dabbing up the brown drizzles in a line across the room.

 

“Work or not, I’m helping you clean the rainbow.” Jaebum, stubborn as usual, gave him one of those handsome smiles that had ensnared him all the way back in high school.

 

“I love you, you know.” Throwing away the soaked wad of paper, he returned to his husband, moving to sit on his lap.

 

“Oh I know.” Smirking, Jaebum’s lack of a return confession brought a pout to Jinyoung’s lips. “Hey, none of that. It’s too cute. I’ll die. I love you too, Jinnie.” A happy noise escaped him and he leaned against his husband’s chest, enjoying the companionship. Jaebum’s arm wrapped around his waist as their youngest cooed at his dinner. Every day felt like chaos, but tackling this chaos with Jaebum at his side... Jinyoung was sure he could happily take care of a million children, as long as they were a family. As long as he had Jaebum. He could do anything, with the other man by his side. Even if it was a lifetime of scrubbing the word ‘’ off of their walls all night. It was worth it.