A Hundred Days With You

A Hundred Days

School had already started again for Nam Ji Hyun. The first few weeks passed like a flash. It was finally the weekend and she had grand plans to spend it face masking and doing readings for the classes next week. It had already been a month since his enlistment.

Her doorbell rang.

“That’s curious.” She thought. She had not been expecting anyone. Her parents were away this weekend and her sister had left for work early in the morning.

She opened her door to see Manager Bang standing outside with a large bouquet of freesias, and two gift boxes, a small white box sealed with a red wax seal and a larger one with a blue ribbon.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Manager Bang-nim.” She greeted him.

“Annyeong Ji Hyun-yang! I come bearing gifts!” He greeted her back.

“Please come on in.” She said.

“Happy 100 days!” Manager Bang said to her.

She smiled. Ji Chang Wook had remembered.

“He knew he couldn’t be here for this so he gave me strict instructions and put multiple reminders in my phone. He picked this up before he enlisted.” Manager Bang said, gesturing at the small white box.

“Thank you so much. I hope it wasn’t too much trouble.”

“Don’t worry about it, Ji Hyun-yang. Have you spoken to him?”

“I did. I spoke to him last week for about 10 minutes.”

“How is he doing? He hasn’t called me. Obviously, he’s not going to waste any precious phone time on me!” Manager Bang said with a hearty depreciating laugh.

“He says training is very intense but he’s doing well. He says he’s losing weight though.”

“Well, that is to be expected. We can fatten him up when he comes out!”

“Yes we must!” She said cheerfully.

“I should head off. Enjoy the presents!” Manager Bang said. “Remember, you can call me if you need anything.”

“Kamsahamida Manager Bang-nim. Annyeong!”

Nam Ji Hyun inhaled the scent of the freesias. Freesias were her favourite flowers. Her heart soared thinking how Ji Chang Wook had thoughtfully planned this before he enlisted, especially when he had so many other things that warranted his attention.

She loosened the blue ribbon of the larger white box and opened the box. It was a photobook of pictures they had taken over the past months. She flipped opened the first page.

“Jagiya, I’m sorry I can’t be there with you on our 100th day. Since our first day, you have made me the happiest man on earth. I don’t know how I lived all those years without you in my life. I love you so much. Saranghae!” He wrote, with 5 childishly drawn hearts.

Nam Ji Hyun felt tears pool in her eyes as she flipped the pages of the photobook. Their dorky gleeful faces smiling back at her. Even though their time together before his enlistment had been so short, they had been the most blissful time in her life.

She put aside the book and broke the wax seal for the small box, gingerly tearing the white wrapping paper off the box. A distinctive red box with gold wordings was inside.

“Did he really?” She thought to herself. Nam Ji Hyun lived simply despite having been an actress for so many years. While her peers would flaunt their branded bags at school, she always opted for a simple canvas tote. She was not one for labels.

She opened the red box to see a rose gold Cartier love bangle with coloured stones inside.

“Yeoppo.” She thought.

There was another card.

“Jagiya, be mine forever.” It said, with another 5 childishly drawn hearts.

“This dork.” She smiled to herself.

She put the bangle on, carefully screwing it shut with the little screwdriver that came with it. As she lifted her hand up to admire the bangle, the little coloured stones sparkled in the morning light.

It had been 100 days since his enlistment. Today, Ji Chang Wook would get to come home for 4 days. 96 precious hours.

Nam Ji Hyun paced restlessly waiting for Ji Chang Wook while his omma busied herself plating all the food she had prepared for her dear son for lunch.

“He will be here soon.” Omma said gently to Nam Ji Hyun.

Nam Ji Hyun flashed a smile at Ji Chang Wook’s omma. They had been spending time together, meeting up regularly for meals, including a meal with Nam Ji Hyun’s family. She was so kind to Nam Ji Hyun and Nam Ji Hyun was so grateful for her support.

“I feel so nervous!” She exclaimed.

“He probably feels the same.” Omma offered helpfully.

“Annyeong!” His voice called out.

Nam Ji Hyun felt her heart skip a beat.

He walked into the house in his army uniform with a big bright smile and Manager Bang and his girlfriend following behind. They had driven to Cheorwon to pick Ji Chang Wook. It was too risky for Nam Ji Hyun to go along.

His skin was tanned for training in the sun and his face sharpened from the inevitable weight loss which came with enlistment.

She leaped excitedly into his arms. They hugged tightly. She could not believe he was back!

She moved aside quickly. Ji Chang Wook gave his omma a big hug and a kiss on her cheek. Nam Ji Hyun laughed as omma wrinkled her nose and said “Ah, the unmistakable army boy smell.”

“Ya!” He retorted.

Laughter filled the air as they settled down for lunch. Ji Chang Wook sat down beside Nam Ji Hyun. She remarked “Oh yes, the unmistakable army boy smell.”

Ji Chang Wook pulled Nam Ji Hyun into a tight hug. “Alright, I’m never letting you go now.” He said, with a chuckle.

Nam Ji Hyun was absentmindedly looking at her phone while she waited for Ji Chang Wook to get ready. They were headed out soon for dinner with Ji Chang Wook’s friends.

“Hyun-ie.” He called out to her as he came out from the shower. She turned to look at him. He looked at her greedily, his eyes were intense with desire.

Before they knew it, they were locked in an embrace. Their lips finding each other quickly. Taking in all that they have missed over the past 100 days.

“We are going to be late.” Nam Ji Hyun said breathlessly.

“I don’t care.” He growled, quickly undressing her, kissing every part of her body.

She moaned as they tumbled into bed.

His fingers stoked her gently and she snuggled in his strong muscular arms.

“I have missed you so much Jagiya.” He said. “I think about you every day.”

“I missed you too.”

He noticed the Cartier love bangle on her wrist and smiled. “Do you like it?”

“I love it. I wear it every day.”

“Now you are mine forever.”

She smiled.

They stood at the bar chatting with friends. Nam Ji Hyun had her arm around his waist as Ji Chang Wook had his arm firmly around Nam Ji Hyun. Time and again, he would kiss her on the top of her head and whisper “Saranghae.”

“I am never letting you go now.” She thought to herself, as she tightened her arms around Ji Chang Wook.