Flower and the man

Flower

.
Jonghyun was a late night dj that went home to an apartment alone. He ate alone , slept alone and had conversations alone. He longed to find someone to talk to when he got home. Jonghyun's odd hours made that very difficult. He had lots of great conversations with people from the other side of the world but they were just so far away. Jonghyun's friend from college Yoona suggested he get a dog. Jonghyun told her his building doesn't allow pets. It was rent controled and in a really nice neighborhoood so he wasn't moving. She convinced Jonghyun to get a plant at least to keep him company. 

Jonghyun was looking at all the plants at the farmers market and spotted a small blue pot with a picture of a rose. He couldn't reconize the other flowers around it so he decided to buy the rose from the lady selling the flowers. "Make sure you sing to this plant to make it grow big and strong." the lady said handing Jonghyun his change with a smile. Not knowing anything about growing a flower he wasn't sure if she was joking or not.Jonghyun brought his new plant home and put it on the window sil. 
Every morning Jonghyun sang love songs to the rose. Every night the rose would grow taller than the day before. After a week the rose was three feet tall but the buds still were not blooming wich worried Jonghyun. Jonghyun started talking to the rose before he went to bed. The rose buds started to open with every conversation Jonghyun had with it. " You need a name rose. hmmm....Minho like my favorite actor." Jonghyun said smiling at the rose. He must have imagined it but he thought he saw the rose nod. "Good night." Jonghyun said leaving the rose and going to bed. 
***********************
Minho opened his eyes for the first time. He stretched and yawned looking at the world around him. it was darker than he thought it would be. As the room slowly got brighter Minho looked around at the room from ontop of the rose he was living in for the first 6 months of his life.His favorite thing was the music he heard everyday and the funny stories every night before he went to sleep. Minho wanted to find the beautiful creature that made that music and thank them. 
Jonghyun came home and found the roses fully bloomed and shining in the sun. Jonghyun smiled and smelled the flowers. Jonghyun began to sing to the rose. Minho hid in the rose as Jonghyun smelled his flower. Lost in the beauty of Jonghyun's face as he sang Minho came out of hiding to get as close to Jonghyun as he could. Jonghyun stopped singing and went to the kitchen to make a bowl of cereal. While Jonghyun ate at the table Minho climbed down from the flower to jump and swing up to the table. Minho stood next to Jonghyun's bowl and thanked him and told him all his favorite stories. Jonghyun didn't respond he just kept eating cereal looking out the window. Jonghyun finished eating saying" good night minho." and left Minho sitting on the table jumping and waving at Jonghyun trying to get his attention. Minho was so small he could not be seen or heard by Jonghyun.
Minho decided to try again later and went to sleep on the table. Minho woke up to the smell of fried chicken. Jonghyun smiled at the roses "we got a new song last night that was so.........boring I tell you minho I could write a much better song." Jonghyun shook his head laughing. "the play boy song you sang to me was great Jonghyun. Or...you can't hear me can you?" Minho swung his legs as he sat on the edge of the table. Minho was so small and Jonghyun was so big how was he supposed to thank him if he couuldn't even hear or see him. Jonghyun left for work while Minho sang another song Jonghyun wrote. Minho climbed up to the window to look at the stars. "I wish I could thank Jonghyun." Minho said watching a star fall from the sky and crash somewhere far away. "I can give you seven days and seven nights." A soft voice said filling the room with its voice."yes please" Minho said looking around for the owner of the voice. "it will cost you" the voice warned. "Please help me I don't care what it cost." Minho said begging the voice.  A light glowed inside Minho's belly that burned hotter and hotter. minho fell from the window screaming in agony before hitting the floor and passing out. 
Minho woke up to find his world was smaller or no he was bigger he realized looking at his hand then the rose he came from. Minho smiled he could finally thank Jonghyun. Minho headed out the door but stopped not knowing witch way to go. "Hello." Jonghyun said to Minho standing in front of his door. Minho opened his mouth but nothing came out. "Are you Yoona's cousin? She said you would be coming to stay with me for a few days till they got you a dorm room. But I thought you were coming next week." Jonghyun said opening the door and pulling Minho inside.  "My names Jonghyun if you didn't already know. What is your name I'm sorry I forgot min something right jimin?" Jonghyun looked at Minho with his green shorts and green shoes and nothing else. Minho was tall and handsome even being tired getting off work how was he just now noticing this. "Minho" Minho finally managed to say. He pulled Jonghyun in for a hug squeezing him tight. "Thank you Jonghyun." Minho smiled smelling Jonghyun's hair. 
Jonghyun was a little surprised but thought maybe this is just what people do now. How would he know being away from people for so long. Jonghyun smiled and hugged Minho back. "Sure want some cereal?" Jonghyun said leading Minho into the kitchen. "Can you sing for me first?" Minho asked smiling brightly. Jonghyun shrugged "Ok" He sang a new song he thought someone going to college would like. Minho frowned it wasn't like the love songs he was used to hearing from Jonghyun. Still Jonghyun was singing it so it sounded great so Minho closed his eyes and enjoyed the song. "Here." Jonghyun handed him a bowl. Jonghyun set up the couch for Minho before heading to bed. Jonghyun woke up to find Minho's chest under his head. Jonghyun let Minho sleep as he got ready for work. 

It was nice coming home to Minho and singing to him before going to bed holding him tight. Minho didn't talk much but that didn't stop Jonghyun form talking to him. Jonghyun couldn't stop smiling over the six days he had with Minho. Minho would hold and hug Jonghyun every chance he got smiling and laughing at Jonghyun's stories and songs. He never told Jonghyun that this would be the last day they had together instead he kissed Jonghyun's forhead before falling asleep in his arms. 
The next morning Minho died on the flower he came from in a peaceful sleep happy he got to say thankyou to the man he loved so much. Jonghyun was angry that Minho couldn't even say goodbye. Jonghyun decided to call Yoona about Minho. "Hello cutie what is up?" yuna answered the phone. "Is your cousin at the dorms now? He just left without telling me." Jonghyun said trying not to show how angry he was. "He is still in washington Jonghyun. He will be coming to your place in two days. Don't you remember?" Yoona  said sounding annoyed. "Sorry yeah. I'll talk to you later." Jonghyun said rubbing his head. Jonghyun frowned at his flowers. "Your leaving me too?" Jonghyun said watching the last petal fall from a rose. 

 

A.N:

Reading this a fourth time I wonder if this was all in Jonghyun's head or Minho's. Like did Jonghyun make up Minho because he was so lonely or did Minho make up that time with Jonghyun as  he died of hunger. I have theories but I'll let you decide for yourself like every reader should do when they read any story.