Both Knew.

Both Knew.


"Jiwoo let's get married."

"Are you crazy?"

"No, Im serious."

"Are you crazy? Stop playing around."

"I'm enlisting you know."

"I know that."

They both fell silent. No one dared say more. 

 

They weren't a couple, they were never like that. They were just two friends who got along so she wondered why he was suddenly bringing this up. She wondered if the enlistment was making him so anxious that he was suddenly saying absurd things but deep down she knew, they both knew that it wasn't only because of that. Even when they were just friends, she wasn't that foolish to not notice his lasting stares when only the two of them were together and neither was he foolish to not see that no one made her laugh the way he did. 

 

Even so neither of them did anything, how can one risk losing something perfect by changing it. A lot of words were left unspoken and they always carried on with their lives. They both dated other people and her last one even proposed to her. She wasn't ready though and still so young, that was what she made herself believe as the reason she didn't accept it. And yet even when  she was the reason it  didn't work, she was the one crying over losing him. He was a good guy afterall, too good even for someone like her. He was too good that it seemed unfair to not let him go.

 

It was Taehyung who was there to comfort her, never leaving her side and always checking on her even at the expense of losing his own girlfriend. His girlfriend  saw the way he cared for Jiwoo, the way he was out of it for days when he heard bout the proposal and how he was somehow  back to  normal when he found out she didn't accept it. She was almost perfect, probably even more beautiful than Jiwoo. She was a confident woman and knew at least that much and she had hopes when they started dating that Taehyung will love her more than Jiwoo eventually. The past few days were the last string for her and she knew the only problem for Taehyung was because she wasn't Jiwoo.

 

Taehyung loved the way Jiwoo gets his jokes , the way she untangles his thoughts and find fault in his words and made him aware of that. He didn't understand either how a conversation never ends when he is with Jiwoo. She told him she can manage that it was her fault afterall for not accepting the proposal but he said it was his too. He knew, they both knew, they always knew but no one dared say more.

 

Now here they are looking at each other with a long silence that was killing them both, like the many times they had before. They kept silent for many years, no dared say more and avoided this moment as much as they could but there's no use avoiding it now, this much she knew and so did he.

"Now?" Jiwoo asked  breaking the silence.

"When I comeback."

"I'll think about it."

He smiled hearing her answer, his face full of relief . He was expecting the worst, that she would avoid  him and feel betrayed for ruining what they tried to avoid for the longest time. It was like an unspoken vow to keep things as they are. He knew it was selfish of him to ask her to wait for him but the thought of losing her while he was gone, that she would find someone else and settle down this time is a regret he couldn't afford to risk.

"I'll wait."

"You better." 

It was a very Jiwoo thing to say and they both smiled. For once they both knew and were happy they did.