.12

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re in a good mood today,” Jennie commented as they waited for their order to arrive.

 

Chaeyoung blinked at the mirror she was holding as she checked on her makeup. That was when she realized what had been the cause for the comment to come out of her friend’s mouth.

 

She realized that her eyes weren’t as dark and dull like how they had been since the past weeks. She saw the smile that hung onto her face even when she wasn’t smiling physically. She could see some brightness in the expression she was wearing at the moment. There was light in her face.

 

“I guess I am,” she shrugged nonchalantly, trying to hide a smile that threatened to show up.

 

“What seems to be the reason?” Jennie asked curiously, slightly leaning forward. “Did something happen?”

 

Reason? She thought about it, trying to find it in her mind although it was unnecessary.

 

Perhaps, the reason why she seemed to be in a high spirit was because of that one kiss that she could still feel on her lips. That one rough kiss was probably what had started it all. Because after that night of when Jungkook had pulled her by the head and gave her a kiss that had sent her body into a wonderful kind of shiver, she had spent every night exchanging simple texts with him that would always end with them telling each other good night.

 

“Nothing, I guess,” Chaeyoung muttered. “The whole process of my work is progressing rather smoothly. I guess that’s the cause of it.”

 

Jennie didn’t seem convinced but she didn’t press on it. “Good for you, then,” she mumbled and looked away with a very noticeable sadness in her eyes.

 

Observing Jennie for a couple minutes, Chaeyoung searched for her friend’s eyes as she tilted her head slightly to get a better look of Jennie’s small face. “Jennie? Are you okay?” she asked worriedly. Jennie had always had that look like nothing would ever bother her. Sometimes she looked like she worried at nothing at all and sometimes it would seem like she was annoyed at everything and everyone.

 

But knowing her for a very long time, even before knowing Taehyung, Chaeyoung could see past through it. She could see that there was something wrong with her friend, and that her mind was full of thoughts that she feared to happen.

 

“Jennie,” she called softly, holding her hand on the table. “Something’s definitely wrong but I don’t know what it is so spit it out now.”

 

Her friend shook her head lightly, tried to smile but the fakeness of it was so obvious.

 

“I said tell me about it,” Chaeyoung pressed.

 

Finally lifting her eyes to gaze at Chaeyoung, Jennie took the longest seconds to breathe in before she exhaled heavily. “I think…” she swallowed hard. “I think Namjoon’s going to break up with me.”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes widened in obvious shock. “What?” The word dropped heavily. “Why do you think so?”

 

Jennie shrugged, trying to play it cool but her voice wavered slightly when she replied. “I can feel it in my gut. He’s been avoiding me so much that it becomes so ing obvious.”

 

“What do you mean he’s been avoiding you? You see each other every single day. You guys are together for almost 24 hours, so inseparable that it almost threw me up every time I see you two.”

 

Jennie chuckled softly but the soft smile on her face mirrored sadness. “True, but I feel the distance these days, Chaeyoung. He used to give me all his attention before I even started talking, but now I have to work for it and even that, I have to ask him a few times if he was even listening to me because he just couldn’t ing focus. He got his focus on his phone almost all the damn time.”

 

“Do you know who he’s texting?” Chaeyoung asked carefully. “It could be Tae.”

 

A loud scoff escaped Jennie as she rolled her eyes. “Taehyung? Namjoon never would have pushed his phone away if he was just contacting Taehyung. When I tried to glance at his phone, he moved it away quickly and sometimes he’d answer the phone somewhere far away from me.”

 

No matter how hard Chaeyoung forced herself to believe Jennie’s instinct on Namjoon cheating on her, she couldn’t. He was very loyal to her and had his eyes on her alone all the time. No matter how many girls were around him, he never looked at them the way he looked at Jennie. He was as annoying as a human could be sometimes, but he wasn’t like that to Jennie.

 

As far as Chaeyoung knew, Namjoon’s priorities other than his family were his work, Jennie and Taehyung. The three had been his top priorities for as long as they had been in his life. So imagining Namjoon diverting his sole attention of his love life to a different woman was an impossible task to do.

 

“It could be just his work?” Chaeyoung tried to assure her friend.

 

“No, Chaeyoung. It’s not. What does he need to hide if it’s just his work?” she asked with a flat tone.

 

“Come on, Jen,” she gave her friend a small reassuring smile. “I’m sure it’s nothing. You think too much.”

 

“No, I’m not,” Jennie said with a glare. “I’m sure he’s seeing someone else. I’m a hundred percent sure, Chaeyoung. He lied to me yesterday.”

 

Furrowing her brows, Chaeyoung asked, “What did he lie to you about?”

 

“He told me he was going to be busy for the rest of the day and that he could only see me at home. I was strolling down the street with my coworker when I saw him flirting with the florist. I knew she had her eyes on him because I noticed the looks exchanged by them when Namjoon and I went there to buy flowers for Taehyung’s mom. That ing .”

 

Chaeyoung stared at her friend and opened to say something but she was left speechless. She almost laughed but quickly closed and looked away immediately when she felt herself was about to smile. This would be a good story to tell Taehyung.

 

Namjoon had gone to the florist for some suggestions of flowers he should be using for the proposal event. He was supposed to go with Taehyung but the latter was occupied with some work that he hadn’t been able to accompany his friend. They had actually met a few times and the looks exchanged that Jennie referred to was most probably secret question and answer between Namjoon and the florist; she might have given him a look of asking whether Jennie was the girl and Namjoon might have given a look of what could be translated as a ‘yes’. That was what Chaeyoung had in mind because Taehyung had told her something similar about it that he heard from Namjoon.

 

Forcing herself not to show any hint of smile on her face, Chaeyoung squeezed her friend’s hand and said softly, “Trust me, Jennie. I don’t think he’s seeing someone else.”

 

“Then what’s the deal with that florist?”

 

“I’m sure that’s not flirting, maybe they were just talking.”

 

“They were flirting. I’m sure of that,” Jennie argued firmly and Chaeyoung just sighed with her brows lifted. There was nothing she could say to assure Jennie.

 

What she could do right now was to be patient because she honestly couldn’t wait for the proposal to happen.

 

*

 

Jungkook lied on the couch with an arm beneath his head. His right hand was above him, holding his phone as he scrolled through the messages between him and Chaeyoung.

 

You: How was work today?

Pasta: Nothing unordinary happened, but things have been going well.

You: Bang Sihyuk will be pleased for the new design in his office.

Pasta: That he will.

You: If he’s not pleased when it’s done, I’ll beat his fussy for you. ;)

Pasta: That’d actually be nice.

Pasta: A little sleepy now, I’m gonna head off to bed.

You: Alright. Good night.

Pasta: You too. Sleep well.

 

You: Bang Sihyuk was acting cute today.

Pasta: Meaning?

You: It was quite noisy in his office with all the working being done.

You: So he kinda let us off early.

Pasta: You must be so grateful.

You: I am. Totally.

You: It’s your favorite show on the tv. Are you watching?

Pasta: I am watching it.

You: I knew you would.

You: I’m not going to disturb you.

You: Have fun watching it.

Pasta: Good night, Jungkook.

You: Good night Chaeyoungie.

 

“It’s happening again,” Yoongi’s voice came and Jungkook looked away from his phone in an instant to focus on the older male. Yoongi made his way to a chair situated across the couch Jungkook was lying on.

 

“What’s happening again?” Hoseok questioned, sipping his drink and made a gesture of asking Jungkook to give him space to sit.

 

“Did you not see his face?” Yoongi asked, nodding his head at Jungkook and the latter just raised his brow questioningly. “He’s making that gross face again.”

 

Jungkook had his brows knitted in confusion. He pressed the button on the side of his phone to lock it and muttered, “What the hell are you even talking about?”

 

Hoseok looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter