Never Too Late

T-Shirt

Lisa couldn’t believe it as she stood outside his studio glaring at his back before glancing down at her watch, then glancing back up to see him still stuck in front of that computer of his for nearly two days.

She shook her head, “7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2… 2 and a half… 2… 2… 1…,”

Lisa frowned before she stormed into his studio surprising Yoongi who jumped in his chair as he spun around. He sighed in relief when he saw it was just his girlfriend.

“! Lisa!” He growled clutching his chest, not noticing that his girlfriend was standing there with her hands on her hips, glaring at him.

“Why’d you do that? You scared the out of me,” Yoongi said, trying to calm his heart. He couldn’t believe how engrossed he was in his work that he didn’t even know his girlfriend was here.

He smiled, “What are you doing here?”

Lisa stood there refusing to say anything, scared she might cry, instead she threw his calendar on the table in front of him.

Yoongi frowned when he saw his bedside calendar in front of him, “What is—”

He stopped when he realized what he was really looking at.

A date was circled, more like a big drawn heart that he did when he first got this calendar from Hoseok as a random gift for Christmas and the first date he circled… It was his girlfriend’s Birthday.

27th of March.

Yoongi looked at Lisa who wasn’t glaring at him anymore, instead, she looked disappointed.

“Happy 28th of March,” Lisa growled before she stormed out.

“Wait! Lisa!” Yoongi panicked as he tried to grab her hand but the table in front of him stopped him from going further as she stormed out of his studio.

“!” He growled, throwing his headphones off, before jumping over the table. His pens and papers flying all over the ground.

This was not how today— yesterday was supposed to go down. He had everything planned. From the moment she woke up until she fell asleep with a big smile on her face.

“!” Yoongi yelled when he ran out of his studio into his apartment glancing around when he heard the front door slam.

“, , ,” he said grabbing his jacket and running for the door almost ripping the handle off as he pulled the door open. He ran out only to see the elevator door slowly closing,

“No, no, no, wait!” Yoongi yelled trying to stop it, only to growl as it closed on him. He looked over at the fire exit. He was on the 16th floor, he looked back at the elevator to see it going down.

it!

He was running at a speed that even Jungkook would be proud of as he ran down the stairs. He was flying and he wasn’t planning on stopping until he gets to Lisa.

How could he forget his girlfriend’s birthday? It was impossible. He had been planning this day since the 1st of this month. He wanted this to be her best Birthday, just like his Birthday last year. He wanted everything to be perfect.

After that Vlive incident, everything went crazy, but no one was forced to choose between their love or their courier. No one was forced to break up with the other. Everything went smoothly. Surprising not only him and Lisa but also their members.

He also didn’t think that ARMY would pull through and support him, but they did. They loved how the Vlive showed his true emotions and how happy he was, and it was all because of Lisa, and it would always be, because of Lisa.

Last year was the best for them, they didn’t need to hide their relationship. Even when they were busy, they always had time for each other.

Then with this new year, he became busier with work, he and s travelled more and so did Lisa, they were both busy. He was constantly flying to America and she was finishing off their world tour and was she always flying to China.

They hardly saw each other but March was their month, and he was going to do everything to make it perfect for her and he did, from the first day of March. Spending the whole day at her apartment just him, her cats. Staying in bed and watching movies.

Then she surprised him on the day before his Birthday, he thought she was flying off to China, but she surprised him when she came to watch him, and s perform at Inkigayo. He was even tempted to pull her on stage when they won as she stood on the side of the stage cheering him on and only him.

She stayed till midnight to be the first to say Happy Birthday before she flew out.

But as the days came closer to Lisa’s Birthday, he started to feel nervous, and he needed to calm down because he could sense that she knew. So, he took to his studio where he could wait it out, it was only supposed to be one day and all he did was write about Lisa, how she made him feel, how she came into his life, how she changed his life. He wrote everything down so he could put it into a song.

Now all he could think about was that he missed his girlfriend’s Birthday… He ed up… big time.

Once he reached the ground floor, he ran out of the fire exit straight towards the elevator. He couldn’t believe that he actually beat it. Even though he felt like he was going to die as he reached the elevator trying to catch his breath.

He sighed when the doors open,

“Lis—” he frowned,

“Yoongi is that you? Were you the one trying to stop the elevator?”

Yoongi could only nod in confusion because instead of seeing Lisa…

“Neh… um… Annyeonghaseyo, Mrs. Haesun, I’m sorry I thought… was it just you in the elevator?” Yoongi asked looking around in the elevator. After running down a flight of stairs maybe his brain wasn’t fully working… or his eyes.

Mrs. Haesun nodded, “It’s only been me,” she smiled walking out as stood in front of him.

“I should be going Mr. Haesun, finishes work soon. What are you doing up at this time anyway, you should be resting,” she said before walking past Yoongi who nodded as he stood there still not sure what just happened.

“Was it the front door I heard slam?” he said to himself.

-----

Yoongi stood in front of his bedroom door, his hands pressed against the door trying to catch his breath. This has been the most he has ever worked out and he could only thank whoever was listening that he hadn’t passed out, yet.

Yoongi took a deep breath before he opened the door.

He sighed in relief when he saw her lying in his bed. It almost felt like Déjà vu, like a dream, only it wasn’t, it was real life and he still ed up. As she curled herself into a ball.

Yoongi walked closer to the bed, as he sat at the edge, staring down at her he wanted to hold her in his arms but a part of him was scared.

In their two and half years of dating, this was the first time that he has seen that look on her, and it scared him. He never wanted to see it again, she can stare at him in any way, but he could not stand to have her look at him with such disappointment.

He knew how much she loves her Birthday; it was her favourite time of the year. He never understood why. Most people would say Christmas, hell even Halloween, but Birthdays. It was unheard of… but then again this was Lisa and she didn’t care what anyone thought.

“I’m an idiot,” he started, because insulting himself always worked, whenever she was angry with him. She’d laugh and then she would agree, only to then disagree and say something beautiful like, ‘if you’re an idiot, then I’m an idiot because I fell in love with an idiot.’ But she didn’t.

Yoongi closed his eyes, “Happy Birthday” he whispered, feeling defeated with himself, he hated this, he hated feeling like he let her down because he did. He had one job.

Yoongis eyes shot open and he tensed when he felt her arms come around his shoulder before he smiled, relaxing into her arms as she hugged him from behind, her head resting on his shoulder.

“Don’t you mean, Happy belated Birthday,” she whispered against his neck.

Yoongi smiled holding on to her wrist. “I can’t believe I missed a whole day,” he said.

“You missed two whole days,” she said,

“I didn’t see you the day before, I assumed you were in your studio getting lost, and you were. Then yesterday on my Birthday I was hoping to see you when I woke up, then I was hoping to see you during breakfast that my unnies prepared and then my parents showed up and they were hoping to see you, during lunch,”

Yoongi tensed, turning his head to stare at her, “They’re here?”

Lisa nodded, “They were, then they left. We had lunch, they were hoping to see you and congratulate you on your comeback since they only came for a day… it was a surprise,”

Yoongi frowned,

Lisa sadly smiled, knowing how much Yoongi loved seeing her parents, he just loves to brag about how much he loves and respects their daughter. She sat back, folding her legs and leaning her head against his back with her hands pressed flat against him.

“Then, I was hoping to see you during dinner, it was around this time, and me leaving a hundred messages on your phone that I think I got angry,” she said smiling against his back.

“Why aren’t you still angry?” Yoongi asked looking ahead of him at a photo of Lisa and him wearing animal mask, it was taken during their first date at Lotte World. They were wearing ridiculous outfits and mask to cover their identity. It was a rush for them, and it was fun.

Lisa giggled, “I was but then I heard you ran out of your apartment after me, even though I never left, and I slowly started to realize that, this is you, you spend days in your studio when you’re nervous and you need to relax, instead of reading a book or just listening to music like a normal person, you like to exert yourself,”

“You also like to separate yourself from the real world when you're in your studio, that’s why your phone is still here in your room on the charger. I also took the liberty of deleting or the missed calls and messages from me and my Unnies, who were obviously cursing at you,” Lisa giggled, Yoongi smiled feeling Lisa press her face against his back before her arms moved down to wrap themselves around his chest.

“I think all I wanted to do yesterday was see you… I kept thinking you would surprise me,” Lisa said hugging him tightly as they sat there, Lisa smiled listening to his breathing.

Yoongi was trying to work up his courage to talk. To say what he was been dying to say since he started this whole plan.

“27th of March on Friday morning at 5 o’clock, my plan was to kidnap you from your apartment, before your Unnies could get to you and because you’re a heavy sleeper, it would’ve been easy,” Yoongi smiled when she pinched his chest.

“Then at 8 o’clock because trying to wake you up earlier would’ve been a fail. So, I would’ve had to let your sleep run its course because you always like to say that you need your 8 hours of sleep. Then when you finally wake up, on your own, we would have breakfast, all your favourite dishes, because I know it all. We’d eat and you’d tell me, you love me, and I would say I love you more because I do. Then we’d laugh and finish the rest of our food. Then I’d tell you to go shower and get ready, while I clean because I have a whole day planned for us,”

Yoongi smiled feeling her tight hold on him,

“You’d squeal in excitement before running off to shower and I’d clean up so fast, just so I could join you in the shower,” he said, he didn’t need to see her, to know that she was blushing.

He moved Lisa’s arms as he stood up, walking over to his closet and pulled out a baby blue and white lace dress as he held it out in front of her.

 

 

“We’d get ready together and then I’d tell you, that I want you to look perfect on your Birthday, not that you already are,” he smiled laying out the dress in front of her,

Lisa smiled touching the lace details on the dress.

 “Then after…”

Yoongi walked over to his dresser where he pulled out two tickets before passing it to Lisa who could feel her eyes stinging as she stared at the two tickets to Lotte World before looking up at him, as he held his hand out.

Lisa smiled grabbing his hand as he pulled her up, she looked at him, and as much as he looked tired and exhausted, he was still smiling as he stared at her with so much love.

She threw her arms around him.

Yoongi smiled hugging her close as he swayed to a song that was in his head. A song that made him think of her, a song that he created not too long ago.

“We would go to Lotte World, where we had our first date and I’d watch your eyes light up at all the rides you wanted to go on, and I’d groan in protest at every single one of them, but I’d go on because you’d beg so cutely, how could I say no.”

“We would eat till our stomachs ache and then someone will spot us because our mask wasn’t really covering anything and I also think your legs gave us away, but we wouldn’t care… because we both love seeing photos of us together from our fans online, and it’s better when they’re not photoshopped,”

Yoongi smiled feeling Lisa nodded as she swayed along with him.

“We’d get calls from our members, our managers, even our companies, all telling us to stop flaunting our relationship. So, we won’t answer their calls and we’d turn our phones off and then we’d take off to our next destination.”

Lisa looked up at him and he smiled,

“The bus stop, where we had our first kiss. I’ll watch you reminisce about it, while I try and convince you to recreate it with me, you’ll laugh in embarrassment saying that there are people around. I’d ignore you and kiss you anyway,” Yoongi smiled kissing Lisa’s bangs. Leaving his lips to linger there.

“Then we’ll catch the bus where it will take us to the beachside where we will stay until the sun would slowly set and I…”

Yoongi stopped swaying as he looked at Lisa and smiled.

“I would get down on my knees…” Yoongi said stepping back from Lisa as he got down on one knee. Lisa stared at him in shock.

“I’d pull out a small box that has been in my pocket that whole day, that I kept checking every single minute, scared that it might have fallen out during all the rides we were on and the bus ride, hoping you didn’t notice how nervous I was, but you did because you held my hand the whole time,”

Lisa cried covering , her lips trembling, her hands shaking as her eyes filled with tears.

“You’d cry, like how you are now, and I’d try to hold back my own tears like I am now. I’d tell you that I love you and that I knew from the moment I stumbled flat on my face when I saw you, that I was going to marry you. If I could, I would’ve asked you to marry me that very day, because I knew you were going to be mine,”

Yoongi held his hand out, smiling when Lisa cried even more before her left hand left her lips and found his hand. He opened the small box showing a small thin silver band.

“I love you more than I can put into words. I didn’t believe in signs or love at first sight. I didn’t believe in soulmates; they were all just fantasy. Until I dreamt of you, like a sign. Then you showed up in front of me and it was love at first sight and it made me believe that maybe soulmates do exist.”

Yoongi smiled, “Because I found mine. I love you—” Yoongi in his breath as he tried to control his crying, but it was too late because his emotions were all over the place.

“Will you marry me, Lalisa Manoban?” Yoongi said holding her hand tightly in his, as he stared up at her. Lisa smiled as she nodded,

“Always yes,” she cried,

 Yoongi smiled putting the ring on her finger. He stood up so quickly hugging Lisa as he spun her around, she cried holding on to his shoulders before placing her back on the ground.

Lisa smiled before cupping his face and pulling him forward kissing his lips, Yoongi smiled wrapping his arms around her waist.

“I’m sorry this wasn’t as perfect as it should be,” Yoongi said once he pulled away from her lips.

Lisa shook her head leaning against him, her fingers wiping at his tears.

“This was more than perfect, this is the best day,” Lisa cried,

Yoongi smiled, “I was hoping that you would’ve said, Best Birthday Ever,”

Lisa shook her head again, “Yesterday was my Birthday… but today on the 28th of March is the day that my love… my soulmate proposed to me. This was perfect, this was… I love you,” she cried throwing herself into his arms again, Yoongi chuckled hugging Lisa close,

“I love you,” he whispered against her ear as he held her,

“I guess it’s never too late to say Happy Birthday,” Yoongi said, he laughed when she shook her head.

“Nope, belated Birthdays are a no go for me. You either say Happy Birthday to me on my Birthday day or wait till next year to say it, and this only applies to you.”

Yoongi chuckled throwing his head back before he stopped and looked at her, “Actually, it’s still your Birthday,” he said as he smiled,

Lisa frowned as she stared at Yoongi before looking at her watch, then staring back at him, “I think you must've hit your head running up those stairs,” she said as he still smiled,

“It’s still 10 in Bangkok, where you were born. So, Happy Birthday,” Yoongi smiled.

Lisa laughed, “You smart man, you saved your life on a… technicality,”

“Such a big word for a little girl,” he said, pulling her close by her waist.

He smirked, “I would’ve flown us to New York since it’s still the 27th there. I didn’t do all this travelling to not pick up on the time zones,”

Lisa smiled, her fingers combing the back of his head, “I love you,” she whispered,

“You’re an idiot but your my idiot and soon I’ll be marrying my idiot,”

“This is why I love you,” Yoongi yelled surprising Lisa as she squealed when he threw her on top of the bed,

He stood at the end of the bed, “I didn’t tell you the best part about your Birthday—”

“We have ,” Lisa giggled, leaning back on her elbows watching him take his shirt off as he winked at her.

Lisa smiled, “Best Birthday Ever.”