1/1

Where the Sea is Sapphire Blue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Nothing’s changed. Everything still looks the same. The towering 20-story building, its wide, tinted windows a fetching contrast to the champagne-washed walls; the globe-shaped bushes and pyramid-trimmed trees the perfect added touch to this picturesque view.

 

Hyukjae smiles at the sight and his feet gains momentum as he crosses the street. His heart feels lighter when he nears the hotel, like coming home after a week-long vacation when in fact it’s the other way around. Just a few more feet and he’s sidling his way to the employees’ inconspicuously-placed entrance (offering a light hello to the guard on duty) and he finds everything just the same way he’d left it.

 

He’s an hour early when he goes to check his watch but he’d done that on purpose. Six years in this place and it’s not far-fetched to admit he’d missed it after being away for only seven days. The scene that greets him when he enters the tiny employee’s lounge room is that of a group of employees, presumably for the next shift, scattered around a suited man giving them the usual briefing. Hyukjae eyes a few new faces and quickly recalls the Head Manager mentioning the arrival of new recruits just before he’d left.

 

 

“Every person you meet has lived an entire life before that moment. Newbies, remember that when interacting with our clients,” the words float to every corner of the room, filling Hyukjae’s ears. “We don’t know where they’ve been or where they’re going. What is important is they’re here with us in the present, so treat them with respect. Be attentive and sincere. No fawning. No faking.” 

 

 

He closes the door gently, making sure it doesn’t make a sound, and walks on the balls of his feet to avoid any unnecessary noise. It’s a good thing their backs are to the door. It offers Hyukjae the chance to ninja his way to an empty corner seat.

 

“Ah! Lee Hyukjae!”

 

Hyukjae’s bum pauses midway to the chair when he hears his name called. He straightens up and barely has enough time to drop his bag when a pair of arms close in on him in the hardest hug he’s ever received from the Head Manager.

 

“Uh, it’s nice to see you too, Mr. Park,” he replies, half-smiling, half-grimacing. He hugs him back eagerly, though not as spine-crushing. While he considers Junsu practically family, he doesn’t drop formalities when at work.

 

“Welcome back!” Junsu all but screams in his face when he lets go. Hyukjae hears the same greeting from most of the employees and only then does he realize everyone’s eyes are on him, the brief, routine meeting presumably over when Junsu cut it short

 

“Hey everyone!” He smiles, raising his hand in a short, awkward wave.

 

“Oh, right.” Junsu straightens, resuming the stance of authority. “Meeting adjourned. Always remember, ladies and gentlemen, at Saphir Bleu Mer, customer service is the topmost priority! It is what sets us apart from all the other five-star hotels in the city. Now, have a fruitful day ahead.” With one final, resounding clap from Junsu, the small group disperses, but not without a mix of good morning Mr. Lee, great to see you back and congrats to your sister, hopefully yours won’t be too far off  thrown at him from all random directions. Hyukjae takes it with a few nods and a warm smile directed at no one in particular.

 

“Thought you were due back tomorrow.” Junsu ushers them to the table Hyukjae had fully intended to sit at in the first place. “Or did my memory fail me again? I swear to God my age is catching up to me.”

 

“No,” Hyukjae replies with a tiny laugh. “I decided to come back a day early. One week’s worth of vacation was too much, I guess. Besides, I’d just about visited every friend and family member I had in the four days following Sora’s wedding. There was nothing left to do.”

 

“Congratulations again to your sister!” Junsu claps his back excitedly. “I’m so bummed I couldn’t go but y’know how it is.” Just then, two steaming mugs of coffee slide onto their table. “Oh thank you,” Junsu smiles at the bellhop bowing down at the them before promptly leaving. “I missed you, buddy. The hotel wasn’t the same without you.” He exhales, long and deep, and Hyukjae almost feels apologetic for taking a vacation that long.

 

“Uh, excuse me, Mr. Park. Mr. Lee. Sorry for interrupting but this is urgent.”

 

Hyukjae looks up to see Yuri, his junior desk officer, standing there with what looked like a tablet remote control in her hand. Junsu silently waves at her to sit and she takes the empty seat next to him.

 

“He broke another one,” Yuri replies, shaking the tablet for emphasis. Hyukjae watches as Junsu’s face crumple into equal parts worry and mild irritation.

 

“Call in for the replacement. Fill in the necessary paperwork.”

 

“So, the usual?” There’s a teasing lilt in Yuri’s voice, though her face remains blank, and it makes Junsu smile.

 

“Three times and not even forty-eight hours,” Junsu remarks, voice coming out slightly awed, and Hyukjae’s curiosity bubbles over.

 

“I’m sorry but who are we talking about?”

 

“We had a guest come in. Checked in yesterday just after noon,” Junsu pushes on, ignoring the beginnings of Hyukjae’s frown. “And he’s been… interesting.” Yuri makes a small noise and quickly covers when Junsu grants her one sharp look. “Lee Donghae. He’d never stayed at a five-star hotel before. It’s his first time.”

 

“Well, we get those guests all the time. What makes him so different?”

 

“I don’t know how he does it.” Junsu shakes his head like he can’t even believe it’s real. “But he breaks stuff. The remote control is only a fraction of it. He’s gotten locked out of his room more times than any other guest we’ve had. Somehow, he’d gotten the ketchup and hot sauce mixed up and we had to phone in Dr. Han because he couldn’t feel his teeth--”

 

“Wait,” Hyukjae interrupts. “Is he a kid or a grown man?”

 

Junsu looks about to say something but Yuri beats him to it. “He really doesn’t mean to. Everything’s an accident with Mr. Lee. He’s actually really really sweet,” she assures with a tiny smile.

 

Junsu merely shrugs, almost as if he’d made peace with this Lee Donghae’s existence. “Part of the business,” he says in a tone that tells the other two the Lee Donghae question hour had just ended.

 

After they’ve downed their coffees and Hyukjae finally logs in and reports to his usual station behind the front desk, Yuri crowds around him.

 

“Mr. Park makes him sound so problematic but Lee Donghae is an actual dreamboat.” Yuri actually sighs, the sound long and wistful.

 

“Who even says dreamboat anymore?” Hyukjae stops to stare at her. “Yuri, quit watching those eighties soaps. You’re starting to sound like my mother when she talks about Won Bin and she’s in her sixties. And honestly, you’re beginning to look like the type of person who has a cookie tin that’s actually  filled with sewing stuff.”

 

Yuri’s lips twist into a cute little indignant pout. “But he is! He has one of those faces. Features worthy of male lead status.” She shakes one manicured finger directly at Hyukjae’s nose. He fights the urge to swat it away. “I bet even your mom would call him that if she gets to see him.”

 

“I really don’t care what his face looks like. Just as long as you say he’s nice enough, then that’s all that matters to me.”

 

“Oh trust me, you’ll care.”

 

Yuri’s meaningful giggling gets on his nerves, the irritation itching under his skin. He loves her, he really does, and given the chance to pick a little sister, she’d be top choice. But it’s too early to deal with her. So he chooses to tune her out and focus on work because Hyukjae is nothing but professional.

 

---

 

In his next evening shift, Hyukjae catches a brief glimpse of this Lee Donghae Yuri’s been talking about by the elevator. Junsu had called Hyukjae in for an update over a possible booking by the local high school and when he walks back out of the office, Yuri had been calm enough when she waved a subtle hand at him. But Hyukjae had hurried at how frantic her eyes were.

 

“That’s him. Lee Donghae,” she hissed against his ear.

 

Lee Donghae - the only man in the history of the hotel’s clientele who had successfully jammed the shower valve at maximum hot and the resident plumber had to don heat-resistant gloves as he worked to loosen it. It had been the stuff of locker-room talk when Hyukjae came in for his evening shift.

 

Hyukjae had tracked where Yuri’s eyes landed and caught the side of the man’s head of clipped black hair seconds before it disappeared into the elevator. “Guy who broke the shower valve? Dreamboat, huh?” he remarks, tone forcefully unimpressed. Teasing Yuri is so very satisfying when she barely holds back from making a face.

 

“Reserve judgment for when you actually meet the guy,” Yuri huffs. Hyukjae’s pink gums come out in full display as he smiles wide at her irritated scowl.

 

 

---

 

 

It’s a fairly slow shift tonight. The phones had been mute for hours which made Hyukjae go and literally push Yuri off for her dinner break, insisting “you are skin and bones. Go eat. I’m capable of holding the fort by myself.” Yuri had looked unsure but finally conceded at Hyukjae’s prodding, giving her signature cutesy bow. Be back in twenty! she’d called over her shoulder.

 

Hyukjae basks in this sliver of peace, broken only by a middle-aged couple that had come to turn in late for the night. He hands out their key card with a warm ‘good evening’ and watches them retreat into the elevator before dropping his practiced smile. He’s updating the guest roster when he hears the glass doors automatically open and footsteps fast approaching, the sound bouncing against the wide, marble walls. He puts his work-smile back on and almost loses it when he looks up to meet the person those feet belong to.

 

In this line of work, Hyukjae has met his fair share of people. Different colors, different races. Faces of all shapes and sizes. But he’d never known that eyes, ears, a nose, a pair of lips, a smile can be arranged in such a way that can leave Hyukjae feeling like he’d been struck by lightning. Or shot by a barbed arrow right between the ribs. Or feeling like he’d unwittingly missed that last step going down a flight of stairs. Or maybe all of them all at once. Because his chest feels awfully tight when he takes a breath, his stomach flips, flops, then swoops, and there’s a sudden buzz underneath his skin, jolting him alert.

 

“Good evening! I don’t think I’ve met you.” The man tilts his head at him.

 

Hyukjae scrambles to his feet, nearly cracking his head on the desk when he bows low. “My name is Lee Hyukjae. How can I be of service to you this evening, sir?” He keeps his voice steady even though there’s a low, nervous thrumming in his veins.

 

“Nice to meet you, Lee Hyukjae. I’m Lee Donghae, the guy in suite number two.” He makes a ‘v’ sign with his middle and forefinger and Hyukjae fights the urge to coo at how adorable he looks. “I got this,” Donghae raises his other hand and Hyukjae only notices he’d been holding something, “mainly for Mr. Kim, for helping me. I had a lil’ problem with the shower yesterday.”

 

Little. The word bounces aimlessly inside Hyukjae’s head.

 

“So I’ll just head on in here, then.” And Donghae ambles to the direction of the employees’ break room so quick, Hyukjae barely has enough time to stop him.

 

“Sir! Mr. Lee, sir, guests aren’t allowed--”

 

“Nah it’s fine,” Donghae waves over his shoulder, “I’ve hung out here before. They know me.”

 

Hyukjae almost gets a panic attack. He knows he should follow Mr. Lee down the hall and cut him off but he’s also forbidden from leaving the reception desk unmanned. But just as he’s weighing each option in his head, Yuri suddenly appears like an answered prayer, her black heels clacking on tile as she walks down the far end of the hall.

 

“Miss Kwon! Pizza!” Donghae slows and holds up the box at Yuri, like she could possibly miss the sheer size of it.

 

Yuri jerks in surprise. “Mr. Lee!” she exclaims, bowing.

 

“I’ll make sure they save a slice for you.” Donghae glances back at Hyukjae still standing a few feet from the reception desk. “You too, Lee Hyukjae.” And with that, he breezes by a smiling Yuri, turns left and drops out of their line of sight.

 

When they’ve both settled back behind the desk, Hyukjae says in a voice only Yuri could hear, “You were right.”

 

“About what?”

 

Hyukjae doesn’t look at her, keeps his eyes glued to the computer even as he hears Yuri drag her seat beside his, even as he feels her grinning right at him. “That Mr. Lee is a dreamboat or that you actually care that he is?”

 

Hyukjae directs his narrowed eyes at the glimmer of the screen. “Yes.”

 

He clenches his lips in a straight, unaffected line when Yuri collapses into a fit of high-pitched giggles.

 

---

 

“Ah, Hyukjae!”

 

Hyukjae jumps in surprise, wincing when he bangs an elbow on the locker door. Even as he rubs at the sore spot, he gives Junsu a bow in greeting.

 

“You just might be the answer we’re looking for!” Junsu grasps his hands in his and Hyukjae merely answers by crinkling his brows because Junsu is being cryptic as and he hasn’t had enough caffeine in his system to be this confused so early in the morning. “Lee Donghae, our client in suite number two, broke another remote, and also got his hand burnt on a cup of hot water. I had to call in Dr. Han at o’clock in the morning to have it checked.” Junsu lets out a drawn-out sigh, like the very thought of this Lee Donghae exhausts him. “He’s costing the hotel big money.”

 

Hyukjae doesn’t even realize he’s frowning when Junsu lets his hand go to press a thumb between his brows. “Oh-kay. So what does that have to do with me?”

 

“I want you, Hyukjae, to… guide Mr. Lee.”

 

“With using the remote pad?”

 

“I need you to personally supervise Mr. Lee within and around hotel premises,” Junsu clarifies with a curd nod.

 

“You mispronounced babysit,” Hyukjae grumbles. He immediately regrets it when Junsu lowers his eyes at him in warning.

 

“You seem to forget, Lee Hyukjae, the reason Saphir Bleu Mer has risen up the ranks in such a short amount of time to be considered as one of the top five-star hotels in the capital. Well, let me remind you again.”

 

Junsu’s voice shifts to the tone Hyukjae’s all-too-familiar with, that tone he uses when he means absolute business. “Any hotel can lay out an elegant lobby or maintain lush landscaping. It is the human component that sets us apart. We integrate exceptional levels of proactive service. Every customer is treated as an individual and every customer-related matter is managed accordingly.” Junsu straightens, looking so imposing that Hyukjae feels himself shrinking under his gaze. “Mr. Lee’s case is unique. It follows that the solution be as well. Accordingly, Lee Hyukjae, you will accompany Mr. Lee and personally assist him for the duration of his stay.”

 

“But…” Hyukjae asks in a small, confused voice. “Why me?””

 

Junsu’s eyes soften and Hyukjae feels a bit relieved when his dimples make an appearance as he smiles. “Because you’re one of my best guys! The years you’ve spent here, the experience, your expertise are rivaled by only one other person and Heechul’s got his hands full with sorting through the new marketing proposals for this year. Plus, I’m afraid of leaving Mr. Lee with him, to be honest.” Junsu chortles. “Nobody knows what Heechul’s capable of and I don’t want to get the chance to find out.”

 

Even with that attempt at humor, Hyukjae’s face doesn’t clear. “Hyukjae, I wouldn’t give this responsibility if I didn’t trust you to do a phenomenal job. ” Junsu almost snorts at the face Hyukjae’s making, that expression one would have right before getting thrown to the wolves. “It’s not as bad as it sounds, Hyuk.”

 

Hyukjae’s chest deflates and Junsu takes the sight as a sign of submission. “If the hotel needs me, then yeah, of course I’ll do it. I have no prior experience at babysit--” Junsu slits his eyes at him, “I mean, uh, at being a… uhm… personal assistant, but I will do my best.”

 

“You always do, Hyukjae.” Junsu reaches over to pat him over the head. “And since this is above and beyond your usual duties, and considering the uniqueness of the situation, the Boss has guaranteed you’ll be handsomely compensated for your time. Now that’s a couple of won more for that trip to Paris you’ve been saving up since forever.”

 

Hyukjae’s face clears some. The prospect of being essentially a personal maid to this Mr. Lee doesn’t seem so bad, not when the pay would be as sweet as Junsu had implied.

 

“Does he know? About this arrangement?”

 

Junsu nods. “He does. After Dr. Han was done smothering cooling ointment all over his hand, I suggested it to him and he welcomed the idea.”

 

“How long will he stay for?”

 

“He booked for seven days. Today is his fourth. You’ll attend to him starting this morning. Doesn’t sound too bad now, does it?” Junsu says, reaching over to straighten his tie.

 

“No,” he replies. His chin bumps the back of Junsu’s hand as he looks down. “Seems easy enough, I guess.”

 

“Plus you’re both the same age. I think you’ll get along just fine. Mr. Lee seems nice enough. The staff agrees, too.”

 

“Who’ll take over for me in the meantime, then?” Hyukjae asks when Junsu steps back to size up his handiwork.

 

“Yuri will. You’ve trained her well.”

 

Hyukjae responds with a meek, slightly embarrassed ‘thanks’ and Junsu smiles at how unbelieving Hyukjae sounds.

 

“I’ll meet you out front.” With a firm pat to his arm, Junsu walks out.

 

Hyukjae turns back around, standing rigid in front of his open locker, quietly taking stock of what just happened. It’s still a job, albeit under exceptional circumstances. “For the hotel. For Junsu. For Paris,” Hyukjae soothes his reflection as he slides his jacket on.

 

---

 

“Mr. Park,” Hyukjae calls out as soon as he reaches his station, finding Mr. Park hunched over Yuri as they check something in the computer monitor.

 

“Hyukjae! All set?” He checks his watch when Hyukjae gives him an affirmative nod. “Mr. Lee has requested for a wake-up call this morning at eight, which is in approximately half an hour. Plenty of time to brief you.” Hyukjae steps closer when Junsu motions at him. “Lee Donghae is a native of Mokpo and will turn thirty-two in October. He hasn’t stated any food preferences so it’s your job to find out what it is. For now, I’ll have Chef Kim whip up an assortment of breakfast plates for him to choose from” Junsu hands him the spare card key. “There are in-room appliances so it is… more favorable that you man them instead of Mr. Lee.”

 

“It’s code for ‘do not let Mr. Lee lay a finger on the electronics’,” Yuri fake whispers, ignoring Junsu’s glare of death as Hyukjae snorts.

 

“Jiyoung,” Junsu says unceremoniously loud, “will be assisting you with food service, she’ll meet us by the service elevator.” He gestures at Hyukjae and the latter follows him to the elevator, greeting a soft good morning to Jiyoung who’s waiting next to a service trolley stacked with covered plates, iced liquids and a collection of fresh fruit.

 

“You will also need this.” Hyukjae takes the cellphone Junsu hands over. “Your work phone for when Mr. Lee needs to contact you. The number’s in the contacts.” Junsu claps his hands together. “Well, I guess that’s everything.”

 

There’s a sudden case of nerves that hits him, making his heart race and his palms moist, and he doesn’t know why. It’s the pressure, the level of expectation for him to do perform well at a job he’s totally new to, he tells himself. It does little to calm him down.

 

They arrive outside the suite door just in time and Hyukjae looks on as Junsu presses the touch panel activating the suite’s doorbell. He waits for a few seconds and presses it again. After a stretch of seconds without hearing any movement, Junsu does it again, now looking worried.

 

“Mr. Lee,” Junsu calls out with soft, successive knocks on the door. “Mr. Lee, room service.”

 

They hear a bit of muffled noise at the other side, the thuds of hurried footsteps, then the door swings open to reveal a man wrapped in the hotel robe, the blue of the embroidered logo standing out against the whiteness of the fabric. His eyes are drooped at half-mast and his hair looked like a cat had it all over.

 

“Ah, good morning Mr. Lee,” Junsu bows to him. The other two behind him do the same. Mr. Lee returns the gesture, the move coming out sluggish, but when he straightens up, Hyukjae was not ready for him smiling at them so blindingly bright.

 

Mr. Lee doesn’t utter a word, smile unfaltering as he moves aside and waves them in with a lazy hand. Once everyone is inside, Mr. Lee ambles to the couch, his feet dragging on the carpet.

 

“Jisoo, place the trolley over there,” Junsu says in a hushed voice, signaling to the tiny round dining table settled right next to the wide glass windows, the thick, blue curtains tied by its sides. “Then report straight back to Chef Kim. He said he still needed you for something.” Hyukjae must have stood at Junsu’s blind side because the older swivels his head from side to side a couple of times that he can almost hear his neck crick.

 

“Lee Hyuk-- Hyuk -- Hyukjae! There you are. Come stand next to me.” Junsu motions at him. “And why are you all red in the face?” he murmurs under his breath. “Don’t tell me you’re nervous. Don’t be.” He offers Hyukjae a tiny smile meant to be encouraging.

 

“Y-yeah… nervous,” is all Hyukjae can think of replying. He steps up to him and they both turn to Mr. Lee seated on the couch. He looks more alert now, if not for the wide yawn he refuses to hide.

 

“Mr. Lee, since you haven’t specified, we prepared a variety of breakfast plates for you to choose from. We also have orange juice, freshly squeezed, and coffee, freshly brewed. If you are in the mood for something else, please feel free to inform us and we’ll get it for you. Also,” Junsu gabs non-stop (it’s a feat Hyukjae will always be in awe of) and takes Hyukjae gently by the arm, “this is Lee Hyukjae, the hotel’s Head Desk Manager. He’s one of our best employees -- his back to back ‘Employee of the Year’ awards will attest to that-- and he will be personally assisting you during the extent of your stay here at Saphir Bleu Mer.”

 

Hyukjae takes another quick bow and he hopes to every saint he’s prayed to since kindergarten that his face has settled to at least a nice shade of watered down pink.

 

“Oh man,” Mr. Lee says in a voice thick with sleep, “this must be such a downgrade for you.” One hand scratching the back of his head makes his unruly hair even more of a mess. But rather than diminish, it makes him even more attractive.

 

Hyukjae smiles against his will and he feels his gums come into view with how wide it keeps on getting. “Ah no, no, Mr. Lee!” He shakes one hand up at him. “T-that’s completely untrue! Don’t think so… so highly of me,” he sputters. He straightens up when he catches Junsu lowkey squinting at him. “Uhm, the client is our top-most priority, Mr. Lee,” Hyukjae manages to calm himself down enough to steady his voice. “I am happy to be of service.”

 

“In that vein, Mr. Lee,” Junsu cuts in, “anything you’ll need just direct it to Lee Hyukjae here and he will get right on it.” Junsu hands him a small card, the logo of the hotel visible even from where Hyukjae’s standing. “This is his work number in case you need to contact him.”

 

“I’ll actually be out for the entire morning,” Mr. Lee says, turning the card over in his hand. “So I guess that means I get to annoy you later this afternoon.”

 

Hyukjae doesn’t hold back from laughing, not really caring that Junsu is staring holes down the side of his face. Not when Donghae is snickering right with him  and Hyukjae wants to hear more of it.

 

“No, don’t think of it like that,” Hyukjae replies, his laughter simmering to a few light chuckles. “No task is too small for me, Mr. Lee. You can call on me anytime.” And crap that did not just sound like the cheesiest pick-up line in the history of pick-up lines.

 

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Mr. Lee looks up to smile at him and Hyukjae can feel himself grow bright red from the roots of his hair down to the tips of his toes.

 

Junsu steps in by then, directing Mr. Lee to the dining table and Hyukjae helps him spread out the plates their client picks out, Hyukjae spouting apologies when he drops a plate of bread rolls right by Junsu’s feet. He’s never this clumsy and he just knows, without even looking, that Junsu is judging the everliving out of him.

 

They leave with the trolley filled with the food Mr. Lee shakes his head politely at (including the orange juice) and with another friendly reminder from Junsu to call them whenever he needs anything.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter