Just One Day

Switched

One morning I woke up, I became some unknown boy.

Where am I? What is going on? Who am I?

I jumped out of bed and ran to a mirror and examined myself. He had super thick hair, eyebags and kinda cute. I checked around the room and it was all so unfamiliar.

"Seungri! Breakfast is ready!" 

Oh no, I was not alone. 

"You better come down here and eat now or you'll be late for school!"

The source of the voice is getting closer and I started to panic. What do I do? Suddenly the door swing open and I tried my best to act natural.

"Yea, hang on a minute while I get dressed. Thou may eat as thee get dressed." 

Natural.

It was a girl. I think that's the sister to this boy. She was also kinda cute. I think the whole family is a bunch of cute people. Oh my Lord, what am I saying?

The girl in front of me looked confused and yelled, "Thou?! Thee?! What are you possessed by an old ghost?"

The girl stormed out and I quickly searched for his clothes. It was a Tuesday morning so this boy probably has school. By the look of his face he looked like he was in Middle School. I put on his uniform and realised that it was from High School. I was confused because he looked too young to be in High School.

I checked his pocket and it had his student ID in it. Lee Seungri, first year in High School. As I suspected, I really don't recognise him. Oh man, I really wanted to know who this kid was and why on earth was I in his body... or something.

Well I was very sure I'm not this boy because I knew I'm not 16. I am supposed to be 17. Also, this room was obviously not mine. I don't collect keychains nor action figures.

Did I switched souls with a geek?!

But, there's no way some Freaky Friday thing would actually happen.

"Seungri, are you done yet? You'll be really late."

"S-Sorry, sorry. I'll get going now, my dear."

"My dear?! Did the old ancient ghost turned into an Aristocrat wife?!"

I grabbed his bag and ran out before further interrogation was held by that loud girl.

It was really awkward. I'm supposedly in senior year but I'm downgraded. Sigh. His family was getting suspicious so I quickly walked out the door. I walked down a few blocks and somehow I knew where to go. Like as if I go to this school every single day. I stopped for a while and thought about skipping school and try to look for information about this kid in some Cyber Cafe. I mean, if I really did switched places with someone, he must be troubled too.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Riri!" I was attacked with a backhug full-force. "Very rare of you to come to school this late!" My hair or his hair, was ruffled and it felt nice? He was tall, had jet black hair and his voice was crazy deep. Was he Seungri's classmate or something? He wore the same uniform! Meeting someone was so nerve wracking.

I was grabbed and the tall dude said, "Come on! If we run to the bus stop, we'll managed to catch the bus!"

"Sorry, whateveryournameis-shi but you see, I... I was planning on skipping school today."

The tall dude's face changed and he looked like he just saw a murder right in front of him. "What's up? You look like your parents just died! Stop that!"

"Lee Seungri, who's never been late or absent, thinks of skipping school?! How suspicious? That's very absurb. Are you by any chance an imposter?"

I have never gulped so hard in my life. This friend of his is more observant than his own parents. That scared me to death. Oh no, any more accusation like this, I'll be in trouble and I didn't have the heart to ruin this kid's perfect record. I took a deep breath and thought that I should just look for the information after school.

"I was just kidding, haha! Did I actually scare you?"

"Oh, thank God. I thought some lazy boy's soul got stuck in your body or something."

"Aha, yea."

We took the bus and reached school 15 minutes after that. We both stayed silent during the entire ride because the tall dude was busy completing his homework.

The moment we reached school, I was bombarded by so many students.

"Good morning, Seungri!"

"You're kinda late today. Did something happen, Seungri?"

"Riri oppa, looking adorable as always!"

Okay, that was a sasaeng fan I think.

"Thank you for helping me out yesterday, Riri!"

Riri here, Riri there. What the hell?

Wow, so many people are speaking to me. I don't even know anyone's name. Will I be able to go through this? 

"Hey, Seungri. Today is the finals. I'm counting on you for the usual!"

"Usual? What?!"

"Stop playing dumb, Riri. The jokes. To cheer us all up to prevent anyone from getting too worried about the exam!"

"Haaaa....?"

"You know, Riri, like when there's a test, you will crack a joke out randomly. But today I need to remind you because you look out of your mind today. You will always make us happy to encourage us!"

What has this boy been doing?! 

"Ah, sorry but I.... I ran out of ideas, hehe..."

From behind I heard murmurs like, "Riri is not gonna make us laugh today?"

"Is he joking already? Because it's not funny"

The tall dude stared directly at me and asked, "Are you some byuntae dressed as Seungri?"

That triggered me so hard I just had to slam the table. Fine. I'll make them laugh. 

"Knock, knock."

"Who's there?" surprisingly they were all listening.

"The cow goes..."

"The cow goes who?"

"No, the cow goes moo!" 

What the... I've never heard this joke myself but it came out naturally. 

"Hey guys, what did the left eye said to the right eye?

"What, Riri?"

"Something smells between us!"

Somehow they were laughing and cheering like I was a well-know comedian from Gag Concert. I get it! It's my body that remembers how to joke! Wait, not exactly my body but this kid's body remembers.

But then, I felt like I've heard these jokes before and felt like I practiced them somewhere.

"Thanks, Riri! Everyone's hyped up thanks to you! Well, do your best!"

"You're welcome, hehe. Do your best too!"

I thought spending a day as a junior would be tragic but I managed to overcome the morning. But my difficulties as Lee Seungri was only just about to begin.

The teacher came in a gave out our test papers, "Alright, Seungri. You will get questions about the entire lesson."

"What?!"

Not just a few problems but questions worth an entire year lesson?!

"Yah, Lee Seungri, just as you asked me. I've made your test alone more difficult than the others."

Bless me.

After long hours, I finally heard the school bell. My day of torture was finally over. Amen. Looks like I can finally investigate who I am.

Suddenly the tall dude broke the silence. "Riri, about the after-school cleaning...."

"Oh alright. You can ask me anything at all!" 

"Huh, no. I mean you're going to visit him at the hospital today, right? You can leave now. It's fine."

Visit him...

I see. This kid has been visiting a friend in the hospital. This kid's a bit crazy but he seems to be a good person. I walked towards the receptionist and she smiled sadly.

"Ah, Seungri. Come with me."

Oh, that was easy.

"I'm sorry, Seungri. It seems like Jiyong's condition is worsening since this morning.

Kwon Jiyong. A childhood friend of Lee Seungri. They were close enough to call each other by name despite the age differences. They played together a lot when they were younger. In contrast with the super healthy Seungri, Jiyong had always been frail. He skipped school a lot and before he knew it, he waited for Seungri every single day to bring printouts from school. It became a daily routine. Even after he got hospitalised, nothing changed. They still meet each other. His only excitement was listening to Seungri's stories from school which he didn't know about. He never reached Middle School as he was unable to cope with it due to being sick all the time. 

You're probably wondering how would I know all these. Not because the nurse told me anything. I already knew.

Because Kwon Jiyong is me.

Now I remember everything. About me and about Seungri. My room number was 204. Last night, I was sleeping more soundly than usual. 

"This is bad. The patient from before...!"

"His vitals are dropping!"

"He went into a coma!"

"Quick! Call his family."

"We need an emergency surgery!"

Oh, that's right. I'm dying. I'm finally saying goodbye to this world. I don't want that. Please give me just one more day. I want to stay with Seungri. 

Thank you, God.

Thank you, Seungri.

______________________________________________________ 

My eyes were wide open when I heard my alarm. My eyes felt a little swollen. Was I crying in my sleep? I can't remember a single thing. I checked my phone and it was already Wednesday. Did I skipped a day? What happened to me on Tuesday?

What did I do yesterday?

I checked my bedside table and saw an envelope. It was for me. 

To Lee Seungri,

    Thank you for everything. It was a short life but thanks to you it was incredible. I'm sorry for borrowing your body without telling yesterday. Yes, I used your body to write this letter. (I did nothing bad with it, don't worry.)

    Just as I'd heard from your stories, it seems like you're having a fantastic youth. That made me really happy. I'm proud of you, Riri. 

    It's a real pity I can't repay you, espcially after all these times you spent looking after me. Protecting me from bullies, bringing me presents everyday. Talking to me a lot and even making lame jokes. 

    It was only a day, but I'm happy to be with you, Riri. In the end, by taking a bit of your energy, I was able to forget my feeble self for a moment.

   Please, I want you to be happy too from now on.

                                                               I wish you all the best,  

                                                                       Kwon Jiyong

"Riri, it's morn-"

I pushed my sister aside and ran as fast as I could. I didn't even bother to change my pajamas.

Idiot, idiot, idiot. Jiyong, you're an idiot. After all, I have always wanted to stay with you. Didn't you always forgive me when I was being selfish? Didn't you apologise for me even when I was wrong? Didn't we do our homework together? Didn't you laugh no matter how lame my jokes were? Didn't you always listen to my rants after a bad day of school?

Repaying me?! Are you joking? Why didn't you write all the good things that you've done?! I remember everything. All the praises. Everytime you say you're proud of me. Did you think I visit you just out of pity? Isn't that obvious that I had another reason?

​I walked in the hospital panting as I was running.

"Seungri! Oh my, you look terrible."

"Jiyong... I've come... to see Ji...yong."

"I see. You must've have heard from someone. But you know, you were a little too late. There's no need to visit Jiyong anymore. No need at all. You know why, right?"

My eyes were stinging from holding in my tears. My head was spinning, I couldn't breathe. 

"There's no need for him to be hospitalised anymore. So, walk back home together, alright?"

I turned around and saw Jiyong smiling down on me. He looked better. Way better than he had ever been.

"Sorry, Riri. I think I may have borrowed a little too much of your energy. But don't worry, from now on, I'll return it to you little by little."

I covered my mouth and he hugged me so tightly. I started sobbing as he patted my head softly.

"Because from now on, we'll always be together."