Rain

"Sorry" Doesn't Solve Anything

In a silent room, the sound of raindrops hitting the windows with small pats here and there along with the sound of the pencil lead leaving slight on the paper can be heard. A small desk lamp is lit, which only has the capability to light up the paper brightly but the room slightly. After he had finished writing the lyrics for his stupid, sad love song, Jungkook opens his laptop and is faced with Seokjin's wedding news all over the internet. Jungkook sighs for the millionth time today and shuts his computer down. He heads over to his bed and lays down on his back, with an arm across his eyes while willing himself to sleep and to forget about today’s existence. But the silence is broken when Namjoon slams the front door as he enters their shared apartment. He can hear the shuffling and his name being called several times as Namjoon looks for him around the apartment. Funny how Namjoon doesn’t come looking for him in his bedroom first.

 

 

Once Namjoon opens Jungkook’s bedroom door, he starts with, “Hey Jungkook, did you hear the news that- um never mind. I’ll be in my room if you need anything.” Namjoon exits the room as quickly as he entered the room and shuts the door silently. Jungkook is left again in silence, but this time, he doesn’t know if he likes it or not.

 

As he shifts to lay on his right, he suddenly sees Seokjin facing him on the bed. He has his playful smile on his face, as if he just did something suspicious like always. That’s when tears start to cloud Jungkook’s vision. He doesn’t want to see his hyung right now, not when he’s trying to forget him.

 

He faces the ceiling once again and is faced with another image of Seokjin. This time, he’s coming in for a kiss. The plump lips jutting out to him and his eyes closed as he awaits for the kiss. Sure, Jungkook wants to meet him halfway and kiss him oh so softly, but he knows, he knows that he’s hallucinating. This will never happen again.

 

Jungkook closes his eyes and turns to his left. His ears are now filled with a soft melody coming from the guitar Seokjin is playing, causing him to open his eyes to see the sight. He looks so beautiful, sitting on Jungkook’s desk chair, like it’s his, with his brow furrowed when concentrating on his fingers to strum the right strings and hold the right chords. This has Jungkook smiling as he lets a tear slide down his face and onto his pillow.

 

All these images overwhelm him and leave Jungkook breathless. The reality that Seokjin announced to the world that he was getting married the same day that he wanted to break up with Jungkook was cruel, so, so cruel to Jungkook. He doesn’t want to feel like this, like the world betrayed him, abandoned him to face the cruelest situations alone in the dark, in the silence.

 

The images stop for a second when Jungkook feels something foreign on the tips of his fingers. Without opening his eyes, Jungkook could identify it as the baseball from their date to the batting cages. Seokjin was rubbing it into Jungkook’s face that he was better than him at something. Of course, Jungkook thought with a grin, it’s only because I wanted to see you happy for beating me. Ah, they were so happy then.

 

Opening his eyes, Jungkook spots a tan hoodie that stands out from all the black clothes in his closet and has Jungkook jolting out of his bed at the sight. That’s when he notices the smallest things that Seokjin took over the course of their relationship returned to his room once again. He grabs the hoodie from the rack and clutches onto it as if it was Seokjin. It’s the hoodie that was Jungkook’s but he had secretly bought it for Seokjin to wear in order to make it seem like Seokjin was tiny even with his enormous shoulders. Jungkook finally allows him to cry then. Sobs are silent at first but starts to increase in volume once the memories of all of their dates invade his mind. He wants to stop himself from crying, he feels so pitiful and he knows that this isn’t going to fix anything. He settles himself down in the doorway of his closet as he continues to cry. He cries and cries until he feels numb from the pain, physically, mentally, and emotionally. He allows himself to fall asleep with the scent of Seokjin from the hoodie.

 

Months later, Jungkook finds himself in a chapel, all suited up and seated on the same pew as the rest of the group. Namjoon, seated to Jungkook’s left, has a hand on his thigh, as Taehyung casually swings his arm over Jungkook’s shoulders. Both are trying to comfort him through the vows that are spoken to the bride and groom by the priest. It was such a lovely ceremony, but it left Jungkook heartbroken. The priest continues on and says, “Speak now or forever hold your peace.” Jungkook hesitates a bit, he wants to stop everything and run away with Seokjin, but he knows he can’t, and he won’t. Jungkook decides to hold his peace and quietly exits the the chapel before the priest confirms the marriage.

 

But little does he know, Seokjin lets a lone tear slide down, leaving a wet trail on his cheek, as he watches Jungkook’s back get smaller and smaller.

 

Goodbye my love, goodbye my happiness, goodbye to it all.