Fate Allowed Us To Meet Again

This Summer

-1996 at a carnival-

"아빠!! 아빠!! (Papa papa!!)" Haneul shouted as he dropped his ice cream while his kidnappers picked him up like a sack. They pushed him into a van and drove off. 

Mr and Mrs Park ran towards their car and chased after the van.

Haneul turned around to see his parents catching up right behind the van. He banged his tiny fist in desperation and fear against the window, screaming for his parents.

Kidnapper #1 yelled at Haneul, "shut up kid! If you want to see your mom and dad again, be still and keep quiet!"

"Ahjussi, let me out please? I'm scared ㅠ.ㅠ," Haneul pleaded.

As the van swerved right, so did his parents' car but a truck ran right into Haneul's parents' car, killing Mr and Mrs Park instantly. Haneul witnessed the whole scene and started screaming and crying even harder. 

Kidnapper #2 asked anxiously, "What do we do now? This boy is useless his parents have died. We can't-"

-2017, Haneul's living room-

"엄마! 아버지! (Mom! Dad!)" Haneul jerked and rolled off the sofa.

"Why? Did you dream of that day again? And i told you to go sleep in your room, didn't I? You're gonna catch a cold!" Hyemi, Haneul's foster aunt, chided him out of concern.

"응."

He got up, grabbed a cup of water and started  preparing to leave the house.

"Where are you going? Don't tell me it's another part-time job?" 

"응," he nodded his head as he left the house.

"That poor child," Hyemi sighed as she continues making her breakfast. 

-Jiwon's house- 

"Bye Mom!!" Jiwon shouted across the hallway as she rushed to the door.

"Where are you going? You need to follow your dad to the office! Did you forget you were supposed to be introduced to the board of directors?" Mrs Kwon asked as she passed her daughter her packed meal.

"I'm meeting Jisoo! You can ask dad to bring Joonsoo," Jiwon smiled mischievously.

"What? Your brother is just a 12 year old kid," Mrs Kwon looked at Jiwon in disbelief.

"I'm just a kid too! I'm leaving, bye mom!! Love ya!!" Jiwon winked and left the house.

There she finds Joshua, her bodyguard, waiting for her beside the car her dad gave her for her 21st birthday. 

"You don't have to follow me today, I'm meeting a friend," Jiwon said.

"I can't, I have to follow President Kwon's orders," Joshua replied sternly.

"And since when do you ever listen to people's orders?" Jiwon laughed.

Joshua finally had a relaxed expression and winked as he said, "That's true. Get in the car, I'll still drive."

"아니. (Nope) I'll take the bus and you ain't coming with me in that outfit," Jiwon shook her head as she scanned his formal bodyguard attire. 

-At the restaurant-

"지원아! 여기! (Jiwon-ah! Over here!)" Jisoo jumped up in excitement.

The girls hugged tightly as if it was their last time seeing each other. 

"And who's this?" Jisoo glanced at Joshua.

"안녕하세요. (Hello) I'm Jiwon's bod-" Jiwon quickly covered his mouth.

"친구! (Friend) Heh he's my friend!"

"Ah~ hello! Nice to meet ya. I've already ordered for us but I didn't know you were coming. What would you like?" Jisoo smiled.

"I'm fine, y'all go ahead," Joshua nodded.

Just then, a waiter served their food but spilled the soup on Jiwon's skirt by accident. 

"Omo!" Jisoo gasped.

Joshua quickly got up and helped Jiwon get some tissue to clean up.

"죄송합니다. 괜찮으세요? (I'm sorry. Are you okay?)" The waiter asked expressionlessly. 

"Ah yes, yes," Jiwon smiled kindly. 

The waiter bowed and returned to the kitchen. 

"Ey seriously, you should at least help to clean up, shouldn't you?" Jisoo shouted as the waiter walked back to the kitchen. 

"I'm sorry! It's his first day here, I'll teach him properly the next time. Ya! Park Haneul! Come here and apologize again!" The restaurant's boss shouted.

Haneul strides out. 

"He looks strangely familiar," Jiwon thought. She flashbacked to her grandfather's 70th birthday dinner and recalled seeing him with the late President Park and her dad.

"혹시 (By any chance), have we met?" Jiwon looks up at Haneul.

"No," he replied coldly.

"I'm sure I have seen you with President Park before." 

"President Park? What are you talking about?" Jisoo interrupted.

"Nothing much," Jiwon replied quickly.

"I've not seen you before, just mind your own business," Haneul replied as he cleared the table.

"Tryna hit on somebody but clearly failing," Joshua laughed. 

Jiwon sent a death glare at Joshua, "It's not like that."

~Fate allowed us to meet again.~

​​​​​​​Stay tuned for Joshua and Jiwon moments.

As dinner ended, Jiwon and Joshua decided to walk home through the park.

"Hey, I've something to tell you," Jiwon looked at Joshua hesitantly.

"What? You like me?" Joshua joked.

"Heol. No way. I'm gonna start my own fashion label but please do not tell my family about it."

"Why?"

"Just don't. I don't want them to have any influence in helping my brand to become successful." 

"Okay."

"Really? You're not gonna ask for anything in return?" Jiwon looked at Joshua suspiciously.

"Hey please, why would I do that as a friend?" 

Jiwon hugged Joshua, "You're the best! Thanks friend!" 

Joshua hid his smile. 

"Can i ask a question? Why did you quit your job, especially when you created that game, just to be a bodyguard?" 

Joshua flashbacked to when the media was going after him for an interview about his latest game, "I don't like attention. I don't like being tied down with the expectation to do better the next time round."

"Oh. Then why a bodyguard?"

"Just because I think I'll look cool," Joshua smirked.

"What. Wouldn't you want to go back to making games? Hasn't that always been your dream?"

"Alright, too many questions for tonight and we are home!" 

Jiwon chuckled and glared at Joshua. He always had the ability to divert attention and avoid questions he didn't want to answer. 

Spoiler: In the next chapter, Jiwon moves out and starts running her small company in a run down building in the neighborhood. Haneul ends up working there too but how? And what about her best friend, Hyunwoo? He'll come into the story soon~