Chapter 4

It Doesn't Matter

Hyungwon was feeling edgy. He’d been feeling like that since the recess bell rang. He was starting to regret his decisions. Everything suddenly seemed stupid. His whole plan was stupid.

 

He stood at the school rooftop, trying to figure out what to do. He could just pretend like nothing ever happened. Maybe Eunseo didn’t even find the note and he could be free from all the torture of having to facing her now. But he already went through all the trouble of coming to school early, risking being seen, and even lied to Nara about having important things to do that he can’t see her during break.

 

Is this all really worth it?

 

The weather was nice. So nice that it made him feel irritated. Is the universe trying to mock me now? He could even hear the sound of the birds chirping from trees down on the school compound. It almost seemed like he was the only person on earth that is feeling off at that moment.

 

It wasn’t long after that when he heard the sound of the door creaking. He turned around slowly, not really prepared to face what was about to come.

 

“Hey.” Her soft voice greeted him.

 

She still looked the same, Hyungwon thought as he tried to take in her appearance. Nothing really changed about her physically. Not even her voice. She’s still the pretty face with the pretty voice and sweet smile. Crap, he thought again. Wasn’t he already over her?

 

He cleared his throat while trying to avoid her gaze.

 

“Hey. Thanks for uhm- thanks for coming.” He said, trying to play it casual.

 

“Of course, I would. I mean, it has been a long time hasn’t it?”

 

She took a few steps forward, trying to reduce the gap between them but stopped when she saw Hyungwon took a step back.

 

“Yeah, it has. But that wasn’t the thing I wanted to discuss.” He said in a serious tone. He wasn’t going to ruin the mood but he didn’t really have the energy to beat around the bush any longer. He was going to do this, no chickening out. He tried to stay compose and unbothered. Keeping a straight face before adding,

 

“Why are you here, in this school?”

 

It was quiet clear that Eunseo wasn’t expecting that kind of question. Her smile turned into a frown as she tried to process Hyungwon’s words.

 

“Why would you ask that?” She shot back, a little hurt.

 

Hyungwon shrugged the hurt look on her face. She was the one that broke him and he wasn’t going to play nice now. Not before he knows her motives.

 

“What is your play now? Are you here to play tricks on me again?” He fired back. Not willing to back down. He needed answers.

 

Eunseo blinked back a few times. The questions bear a lot of emotions. He was doubting her, that was quiet clear.

 

“I see, you still think I’m the same person from years ago.” She said, looking straight into his eyes.

 

“Trust me, Hyungwon. If I could go back and change everything, I would. I know what I did to you was wrong. I regret every single awful thing I have ever done to you. I know you hate me. I hate myself too, for doing that. But right now, I just want you to know how sorry I am and how much I want you to believe me that I am not like that anymore.” She pleaded. He stare lasted long enough that he thought her eyes were saying sorry instead of .

 

But Hyungwon was still doubtful. Even after that long explanation from her, he was still unsure. He stared at her face, trying to figure her out. How would you tell if someone was lying? He asked himself. Were those words sincere? Had she changed?

 

It didn’t take long for his doubts to waver as he saw the tears rolling down her cheek. Wait, is that really tears? He asked himself, a little dumbfounded.

 

Hyungwon was a little taken aback by the sight. She was crying and pleading, and he suddenly felt like a jerk. How did this ended up like this? This wasn’t in the plan. Why would she cry? Did she really mean everything she said? Was those tears supposed to prove all that? Why was he suddenly feeling soft? Where have the rage from earlier had gone to?

 

“I am really sorry. I promised I’ve changed. Please say something.” She said, staring at him more closely.

 

Should he really just give in? The Eunseo he knew wouldn’t just cry for nothing. She must’ve been sincere, he thought. Would he be stupid to believe her? What else was there to do anyway? He thought.

 

He let out a small sigh before saying, “I don’t know if this is right or stupid, but I am willing to believe you now. And I am ready to put everything behind, and accept the new you as a friend. Just promise me, those things would never happen again.”

 

He could feel the strange emotions inside of him, telling him this was a mistake. He ignored them. He was too determined to end this, even if it means he had to risk his trust on her again.

 

“Thank you. Thank you so much!” She said giddily. The tears have stopped.

 

 

 

 

 

“How is it possible that this cafeteria’s food is better than what we have at home?” Yuna voiced out her opinion. Here goes the whining again.

 

Nara slapped her arm before saying, “You shouldn’t say that out loud. Your mom would be very disappointed to hear that.”

 

“But it’s true. Even my mom acknowledged the fact that her cooking is so bad. She even gave me money last night to eat out.”

 

“Just be thankful she doesn’t let you starve to death.” Minhyuk butted in, slowly chewing his food.

 

“Erm, why are you even here? Don’t you have any friends?” Yuna shot back at him, clearly annoyed by his presence. The cafeteria was filled with students from every grade. Most of them were busy enjoying their lunch and chatting among their cliques.

 

“I have but unfortunately none of them hates me like you do so yeah, that is why I’m here.” He replied with a smile, clearly not wanting Yuna to win the little spat they were having.

 

“Can’t we just for once eat in peace? I swear every single time you two meet, it’s always like a warzone.” Nara voiced out, a little fed up.

 

“Well, it’s not my fault that he’s annoying. I kinda feel sorry for Hyungwon to have you as a friend.” Yuna said.

 

“And kinda feel sorry for you Nara.” Minhyuk shot back.

 

Nara let out a little sigh before focusing back on eating her lunch. She knows all too well that nothing would stop the two from fighting- not even the principal. These two will either ended up marrying each other or killing each other, there is no in between, she thought.

 

The argument between the two went on a little while but stopped when Yuna nudged Nara’s side.

 

“Here comes Mr. Chae and wait a minute… Who is that?” She pointed at the person walking right next to Hyungwon.

 

“That’s the new girl.” answered Minhyuk.

 

“New girl?” Yuna and Nara asked at the same time.

 

“She just got here yesterday. Wait, what is going on? Why are they together?” He asked this time. Clearly, he wasn’t expecting the view. Minhyuk knew Hyungwon was never the social type so seeing him with the new girl was really unexpected. She just got here and they are already eating lunch together? Minhyuk can see that Nara was as confused as him. She sat a little too straight and had been staring at the two for a little too long. Was that jealousy? Minhyuk asked himself and he could tell that Yuna can see it too. They both exchanged mischievous glances before focusing their attention back to Hyungwon and his new friend.

 

“She looks familiar.” Nara said as she mustered up a smile to greet the two as they reached their lunch table.