Acting is Reacting

Acting is Reacting

 

"Okay guys, are you ready to make history?!" the director smiled excitedly, making sure everyone hurried to their places for the rehearsal. Myungsoo grinned awkwardly. He knew this moment had to come eventually, but he never thought it would come so soon. Agreeing to be the lead in an epic reveal of Korean history's best guarded secret was a great honor, but when the secret was a gay love affair in the royal palace, it was also a great burden. He had never kissed a guy before. He hoped he wouldn't mess it up, but he was so nervous that his breakfast was considering getting the hell out of his worry twisted stomach. What would his fans think? He was afraid there would be backlash, but still he didn't want to let fear govern his actions. He took a deep breath, feeling how his whole body vibrated in rhythm with his shaky nerves.

“Hey! How does it feel to be the lucky guy that gets to kiss...ME?” Junho laughed confidently as he joined him in front of the camera. He looked more majestic in his simple Joseon robes than he did in the full royal get up. He let out a feeble chuckle, impressed with just how sure Junho was of himself. Apparently confidence was everything, and he had misplaced his somewhere and no matter how hard he looked, he couldn't find it.

“Okay, let's do a practice run before we shoot.” the director signaled them to take their places. Without having to be told twice, Junho swung his robes smoothly as he climbed the two steps to reach him. He stopped at the top of the steps for a short moment, looking right at him with fire in his eyes. Myungsoo swallowed, fighting to keep his surroundings in view, reminding himself that there were cameras and people everywhere around them. Junho's intense eyes were mesmerizing him, making him forget that there existed anything else in the universe besides the two of them. He had never noticed how beautiful his eyes really were.

“Alright, then Junho, you get closer.” the director instructed, breaking the illusion that Junho's eyes had created. Junho took a decisive step forward, leaving only a thin layer of air between them. Myungsoo held his breath so he would stop smelling his intoxicating scent, it was making him dizzy.

“Don't worry guys, don't be so nervous, it's not like we're going to make you kiss for real.” the director laughed. Junho smirked like he knew something nobody else did. It was really hard to read him. Maybe this was hard for him too, he was just clever enough to hide it. He thought the director's words would come as a relief, releasing him from the pressure of having to have his first gay kiss in front of the whole Korean nation, but strangely they didn't. If anything, he was disappointed. Not because he wanted to kiss Junho, obviously. More because of the integrity of the piece. If they were going to make television history, wouldn't it make more of an impact to be authentic and go the whole nine yards. He realized he didn't really mind the thought of kissing Junho, all his fears melting away. He was a good actor, he could do this, especially with such a worthy opponent. Even though it was just a rehearsal, Junho was bringing his A-game, almost convincing him that it was they who were having the love affair, and not the characters. He wanted to say something, but his voice faltered. He didn't dare bring it up, since it sounded like he was using the story as an excuse to kiss Junho. Maybe they would think he was gay. He couldn't risk it. He also wasn't sure if people were ready for a real kiss between two men on the big screen, not wanting to take the responsibility of having ruined the drama if they weren't.

His line of thought was interrupted by Junho, leaning in so close that he could almost taste his lips. One misstep and they would be sharing the most intimate of kisses.

“Hold it, hold it, and look into each other's eyes for a second.” the director advised. Myungsoo's stomach was obliterated as Junho looked him straight in the eyes, a million tiny butterflies taking its place. Even though it was late autumn, the atmosphere around them felt warm. It was the kind of warmth that could only come from within. Myungsoo returned Junho's gaze in earnest, getting lost in the seemingly endless depth of his eyes. His heart skipped a beat for no reason. He felt as if he was being stripped of his clothing one by one and if he kept staring into his eyes for much longer, he would be left standing before him.

“Aaand cue the fan.” the director instructed. Junho put his arm around him, pushing him slightly backwards so that the only thing holding him upright was his strong and sturdy arm, as he dramatically whipped a gorgeous replica of an exquisite Joseon fan out and elegantly swung it through the air, his movements so precise and graceful that it looked like his hand was doing an ancient fan dance. Then it suddenly stopped in midair, perfectly hiding their faces from view, creating a barrier between them and the cameras, between them and the world. Myungsoo was painfully aware of Junho's hand on his back, every cell that it touched was having its own little fireworks display. Even though no one could see their faces anymore, Junho didn't break eye-contact, nearly devouring him with his eyes alone. Myungsoo found himself wishing something would happen to shift their balance just enough for Junho's luscious lips to bridge that tiny gap between them. He wondered if his lips were really as soft as they looked.

“Brilliant!! Let's do it exactly like that, don't change a thing! Now, from the top!”. It felt like the director had interrupted a private moment between them, he had to keep reminding himself that they were at work.

Before Junho let him go, he leaned in even closer, his lips hovering right outside his ear, whispering “Let's show them.”. Then he quickly released him and gave him a bratty wink before descending the stairs.

 

“And ACTION!”

 

Myungsoo released his breath and got into character. He was a professional and prided himself on being the best actor he could possibly be. Junho flew up the stairs like a sassy angel, resurrected from ancient Joseon, back to visit his lover, their secret love having survived the ages.

Even though he was prepared now for all that was about to happen, he still had to swallow a gasp when Junho leaned in closer, placing his hand on his back. He surrendered to him completely, possessed by the spirit of the unfortunate gay prince.

Junho's remaining free hand did the magnificent fan dance, but instead of coming to a stop in front of their faces like before, it rose up high, blocking the sun from irritating Myungsoo's eyes as he was nearly swept off his feet and into Junho's arms. A naughty smile took over Junho's eyes as his lips dove down after his, uniting them in the most passionate kiss Myungsoo had ever experienced. As his mind was transported to another dimension, his body was set on fire. He got completely lost in the kiss, never wanting it to end.

 

As abruptly as it had started, it was already over. Junho swiftly pulled him back up, flicked his hair around like a class A diva, giving him a smug wink as he cockily his lower lip and walked off with all the confidence in the world. Everyone started clapping. Myungsoo just stood there, stunned, listening to his heart beating fervently for its new owner.