(II)

Sleeping BEAST
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Just kidding!” Somi pounced down beside Vernon and began to help him. Unknowingly, he smiled once again.

 

Cleaning wasn’t so hard. However, when a clumsy girl tries to help, it sure does get a lot harder. From time to time Somi would accidentally drop the books from carrying way more than she could. Then, he would have to stop whatever he was doing to help her pick up the ones that scattered all over the place. Sometimes she would knock over the novels that the older boy already arranged. Somi even tripped over a pillow once. Not to mention how often her high pitched sneeze rang through the classroom.

 

It’s odd. He should be annoyed. He should yell at her and tell her to go away. But, no matter how many times she messed up, Vernon always found himself rushing to help her.

 

After about fifteen minutes, they were done. Vernon stepped back to look at the final product. He was more than proud. The classroom wasn’t spectacular, but there was a huge improvement. “Wow it actually does look like a classroom now.” Somi dusted her hands off as she made her way towards the older boy. She held up her palm grinned at him.

 

“What?” Vernon gave her a blank stare.

 

The girl rolled her eyes. “I’m asking for a high five. Is it really that hard?” Somi reached down for his right hand and lifted it up before slapping his palm on her own.

 

Vernon’s arm sloppily followed as he looked at her in awe. Once again, she flashed him her smile and it made him feel all weird inside.

 

To be honest, he didn’t really like this feeling. It was strange, awkward, and was slightly uncomfortable. Vernon didn’t like how a single smile from this “kid” had so much control over him.

 

“See that was pretty easy!” The younger girl seemed so calm and unaffected. “Do you have to go now?”

 

“I should. My job here is done.” He replied. His vision might be blurred by working in the dust for so long but Vernon could’ve sworn he saw a glimpse of sadness in Somi’s eyes.

 

“Okay then. I have to stay here for twenty more minutes though. My dad isn’t done yet. See you around Vernon.” This time, her smile didn’t look as bright.

 

Vernon gave Somi one last wave as he turned his back and headed towards the door.

 

 

 A part of him didn’t want to leave. A part of him really wanted to stay and get to know the younger better. A part of him wanted to learn every little detail about her. But, he knew it wasn’t right. He’s so much older than her. Wouldn’t he come off as creepy? Besides, it didn’t seem healthy how her smile could make him feel all queasy.

 

 

But, of course, somehow he found himself barging into room 301 again and startling the 16-year-old girl.

 

“Oh Vernon, you scared me!” Somi pressed her small palm on her chest. “Did you forget something?”

 

“Umm.” There he goes again scratching the back of his head like a complete fool. “Not really.”

 

Somi walked towards him with a puzzled look in her dark brown eyes.

 

“I…I was wondering if you wanted to get some ice-cream with me.” Vernon couldn’t read Somi’s expression.

 

Terrified, he blabbered, “It’s nothing really I just wanted to go get ice cream as a treat because I successfully cleaned this hell of a classroom and it’s still early and I really like ice cream, plus the ice cream stand around the corner has the best ice cream with a lot of flavors and I wanted to treat you because you helped me clean and I sorta woke you up and it is wrong to leave you here alone with nothing to do, unless you don’t like ice cream which is perfectly understandable its just that-“

 

“I’d love to go get ice cream.” Somi interrupted. “Let’s go!” Just like that Somi nonchalantly dragged the older boy out the door.

 

Outside, the sun was still a lot brighter than Vernon had expected. Their necks tickled from the evening breeze as the two walked side by side. Somi had already let go of Vernon’s arm and he could already feel the emptiness. The older really did not know how to start a conversation. He really had no idea how to appear interesting either. But, he didn’t want her to think he was this boring weirdo who didn’t even have the guts to talk.

 

Slowly without thinking much, he starte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter