Fifteen Minutes

The Date

05.10 P.M.

Isn't it weird. When you are in your twenties, everyone around you look so prepare to be an adult but you're not. Jaewon believes he's not ready at all. He's not even ready to meet new people. What is he doing here, waiting for his date while sitting in the corner of his favorite sandwich place?

He's feeling vulnerable. Though this is his favorite place, this is also a place where he spent a lot of time together with his late mother in her last two years. Maybe that's the reason why this place is his favorite. Every tiny part of this shop reminds him of his time with her. It's cruel how that girl chose to meet in such place, he thought. He wishes that he could read her mind so the next time they met it is in a place that holds a lot of her bittersweet memory. She should suffer the same. He chuckles. He's being childish. It is not her fault at all. Universe, sometimes, is cruel that way.

It is too early for him to come to the shop. But Jiwon insisted that he couldn't be late for his first date. Ever. Jiwon also emphesized that he's been in the hospital too long, he needs some life. But he's not been excited with life for too long, he thinks he doesn't need to enjoy it anymore. People are boring. He doesn't think that anyone ever, ever, understands him truly. He won't let his hope high by wishing this girl would be different than the others.

He sips his lemon tea again. Jaewon always drinks when he's nervous. He insisted that he's not excited about this date when Jiwon asked but anyone who knows him would tell the opposite. Even though he tried to avoid people as much as he could, the people in the hospital care about him because he's so easy to read. Sandara took notice of him because he was such an innocent boy the first time he come to the hospital as an intern. Hanbin, Mino, and Lisa casually hang out with him because he's such a good listener. While Jiwon... it is too late to get rid of him. He's been a part of his life throughout the friendship they share since their time in university. Even though he wants to be left alone, he needs people more than he knows. They think he's a lonely person. That's why they always try to take care of him.

He smiled to himself thinking about how he got to agree with this dating scheme. He could easily said no to Jenny. It's not like he owe her something, really. And she didn't really need to pay him back. But somehow he agreed. Maybe because Jennie mentioned that this girl watches star wars, or because he just wanted to make sure that Jennie know he didn't have any lingering feeling for her. It was complicated with Jennie. He had a crush on her, she knew but she likes somebody else, they talked about it, and remained friends since. But it was only like several months ago. He didn't want to make Jennie think that she was one of the reason why he didn't go on dates. He doesn't feel the same about her anymore. He's glad that they remained friends. Jennie looks happy with her current boyfriend.

05.25 P.M.

"Oh shoot! I'm going to be late." she murmured to herself.

It's typical Lee Hayi. Of course she tried to be more punctual by finishing off as early as possible but she couldn't really find a perfect time to say goodbye in the middle of a conversation with her colleagues. She kept saying to herself that the place was not too far, 10 minutes would be enough. It would be, but not in this hour. Lots of people are out trying to go home from work. It's been fifteen minute and she's barely two blocks away from her office.

Hey, I'm sorry I think I'll be late. I'm stuck. The traffic is reeeaaalllyyy bad. sorry.

She sends it to Jaewon, hoping that she won't get dumped or worse make him thinks that she dumped him. Lee Hayi is the type of person who feels bad if she makes other people feel bad or having false information because of her. It is the worst feeling ever for her. She rather has people hating her for her gut than hating her because she's done those two things to them.

It is a really good day, she hopes this dating scheme Jenny plotted won't ruin anything at all. It is not like she believe that one bad thing would ruin her entire day. It's just that she thinks it's nice to have a rather easy, sort of, closure in the end of the day. Especially when this is such a new thing for her. If this somehow ends nicely, she will not only have a perfect day, she'll probably consider going on a date is not such a waste of time. Relationship is not always easy for her, the whole social things actually are not easy for her.

Hayi's memories of her childhood is filled by moving from one place to another. She was actually such a cheerful girl and had a lot of friends when her family lived in Jeju Island. It went downhill since his dad's work required them to move very often. She was just went up into third grade and was excited to see her friends after a summer break. They moved to Japan. But when she went back to their home in Jeju for a summer break the next year, all her friend apparently felt like she was betraying them thus they didn't want to play with her again that whole summer. Although she didn't want to acknowledge it, that summer had been such a bad memory for her it became something that restrained her to make friends in the new place. She thought it would be a bother to make a new friends, in the end she would move again and wouldn't maintain the friendship. But she could always trust herself, she wouldn't abandon herself. And one day they stopped moving. But she was aready forgot how to make friends and it has become a habit for her to depend on herself alone. It is more comfortable.