Party

My Best Friend's Girlfriend, My Girlfriend's Enemy

The first time I saw her was at a party we were invited to. Jeongyeon wanted to introduce Dahyun and I to her new girlfriend, Mina. She had separated from us to find her said girlfriend. Dahyun and I headed to the kitchen to get some drinks. As we made our way, she caught my eye. She was wearing a red shirt and her lips were painted red as well. She was dancing on top of a table while people cheered her on. I nudged Dahyun only to find out that she had gone in the kitchen by herself but I didn’t care at that moment.

 

She had legs for days, and the way she moved her hips to the beat was intoxicating and those skinny jeans didn’t help my situation either, her raven colored hair was flowing with her movements. But what got me mesmerized was the perfectly shaped brown eyes of hers. At that moment I didn’t know who she really was, I didn’t know she was dating one of my best friends. The song came to an end, and everyone watching the girl cheered and she got off. “Thank you, thank you!” she said bowing in a playful manner. I made my way towards her in attempt to maybe befriend her.

 

“Hey, those were some pretty sick moves,” I said. She turned around and faced me then she smiled. I thought to myself, Wow, she’s way prettier up close.

 

“Thank you, umm?”

 

I told her my name was, “Chaeyoung.”

 

“Chaeyoung, that’s a pretty name, I’m Mina.” she replied, but my mind didn’t seem to get that, that was the Mina, Jeongyeon was dating, “you go to JYP high school, right?”

 

As I was about to answer, when Jeongyeon suddenly came into the room, “Chaeyoung, I see you’ve met, Mina!”

 

Oh.

 

“So you’re the Mina, she was talking about.” I pondered. They both nodded in sync and I suddenly felt like throwing up and I knew for sure it wasn’t anything I had drunk because I hadn’t gotten anything since I got here.

 

“I should probably get, Dahyun.” I said as I walked away from them. I entered the kitchen and immediately found Dahyun and she wasn’t alone. She was talking to one of my classmates named Sana. I headed her way to tell her the news, “Hey Dahyun, Jeongyeon found Mina and she wants you to meet her.”

 

She nodded in responce and I took it as my cue to leave. “Chaeyoung, aren’t you coming?” Dahyun questioned. I shook my head and pointed to the door in the kitchen that led to the backyard. She nodded once again, and went back to talking with Sana.

 

After I had gotten outside I leaned against the wall, facing away from the door and sighed. There wasn’t really anybody here, maybe it had to do with the party being thrown at a mansion, but I was okay with that because I got to think without any interruptions. My mind drifted to Mina, and I came to a conclusion that, maybe I shouldn’t be feeling the way I am. I just met the girl not even 2 minutes ago, but that still didn’t change the way I felt, do crushes develop that fast? I was lost in my own mind that I didn’t notice the sound of the door opening or the person in front of me.

 

They tapped my shoulder several times, “Hello? Earth to Chaeyoung?”

 

“Huh-what? Oh...Mina, hey,” I said in a surprised tone. She giggled and it made my stomach flip, I didn’t know a laugh could be so beautiful, so addicting.

 

“Jeongyeon, sent me to find you.”

 

Oh.

 

“Really? What for?” I casually said, trying to hide my disappointment.

 

She raised her brow and with a small smile she said, “Well, she told me that you wanted to interrogate me,” she paused, “is everything ok?” she asked in a concerned tone.

 

As weird as it may sound, I wanted to tell her what I was thinking, that I found my best friend’s girlfriend really attractive. But I didn’t tell her, instead I told her I was tired. “Let’s start, then.” I said as I headed over to an empty seat that was outside and carried it over to Mina. She sat down and waited patiently for me to get one for myself. “First question, hmmm….favourite color?”

 

“Really that’s what you call interrogating?”

 

“Woah, I didn’t know ‘really that’s what you call interrogating’ was a color!” I said sarcastically. She began to laugh and it made me smile, from then on I wanted to be the reason she laughed, the reason she smiled, but I knew I couldn’t. All I could do was enjoy the moment.

 

After she had finished laughing she told me her favourite color was, “Red.”

 

I nod in agreement to her answer, “Yeah, I should’ve known.” I say as I point the her choice of clothing. She chuckles and my eyes immediately travel to her lips. This isn’t right, I tell myself, you need to stop. I shake my head and look anywhere but her. “So.. uh, Jeongyeon? What are your intentions with her? Whoa, I sounded like my dad right there. Let me uh let me rephrase my question. Why uh…” here goes nothing, “why did you decide to date her?” I look at her as I finish my sentence. “Cause from what she told me, it took a while for you to accept her as your girlfriend.”

 

Mina looks down and gives the ground a small smile. “Wow, when she said interrogate, she meant interrogate.” She puts her hand in her hair and ruffles it. “Well, Chaeyoung, to tell you the truth, I don’t know. Jeongyeon seems like a really nice girl, we’ve been friends for awhile, and she looks like... she wouldn’t break my heart, and I liked that about her. I guess I said yes cause I needed someone stable in my life.” Even though her eyes are not directed at me, I nod. She then turns to me and asks, “What about you?”

 

“H-huh? I-I don’t like Jeongyeon like that!” I say kind of startled.

 

“No silly,” she chuckles, “I meant like what about your girlfriend? Why are you dating her?”

 

“Ohhhh, well- wait a second, how do you know I have a girlfriend?” Wait, how could I forget about Tzuyu. She’s my girlfriend for crying out loud!

 

“Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon talks about you and Dahyun most of the time, I’m honestly surprised I couldn’t put 2 and 2 together when we met earlier. You match the description she gave me, haha”

 

I my head to the side and ask, “What did that jerk say about me?”

 

Her gummy smile appears, “Mmm, are you sure you want me to tell you?”

 

Just seeing her smile made me smile too, “Of course I want you to tell me! This is Jeongyeon we’re talking about, maybe she told you a deep and dark secret that no one should have the right to know! She could be exploiting my evil plans!”

 

The melody of Mina’s laugh start to ring in my ears. Stop it, Chaeyoung, think about Tzuyu. “Oh, so eating so many strawberries until you pass out, is an evil plan?” she teases.

 

My eyes widen in horror, “How could she?! T-that was the dumbest thing I’ve ever done and believe me, I’ve done a lot of dumb things, especially since Jeongyeon is one of my best friends.”

 

Her eyes travel to the night sky, “...yeah.”

 

I take a step closer to her out of concern. She seems to notice my movement and our eyes meet. “What’s wrong?” I ask cautiously. She continues to stare at me as if she’s trying to send me some sort of signal with her eyes. A slight breeze of wind, blows us out of our trance. I focus on where Mina stood.

 

She lets out a long sigh, “I don’t thin-” Mina was cut off by the yelling of Jeongyeon.

 

“GUYS, LET’S DITCH THIS PLACE!”

 

“Is the bunny here?” I ask my friend, knowing the only reason she’d want to leave a party is if she saw her ex-girlfriend or her ex-girlfriend’s current lover. She nods in response and walks towards her girlfriend.

 

“Who’s ‘the bunny’?” she asks. To what Jeongyeon answers, ‘a hoe’.

 

Her answer makes me grimace. Although, this totally goes against the bro code, I still love Nayeon very much, in a platonic way of course, she’s like the overprotective mother I’ve never had. Her current girlfriend isn’t that bad either, they look like a great match and I think that’s why Jeongyeon doesn’t want to see her or her lover. Jeongyeon had said that the reason for their breakup was because Nayeon was cheating on her, but I refuse to believe that unless proven guilty. I wanted to ask Nayeon if that was the truth but it’s not like I can just hang out with her and ask her. All we ever do now, is exchange greetings but not each other's personal life, not after the breakup.

 

I snap out of my daydream, but isn’t it a nightdream since it’s night? Anyways, I snap out of it, only to see that I was standing there alone. I make my way back inside the house and out the front door where I assumed my friends were at.