Chapter Four

Searching For Her

 

“That is IT!” Doojoon snarled, standing up at the table and slamming his hands down on the surface so hard it made everyone’s plates jump and drinks fall over.

“What the -!” Yoseob didn’t scoot back fast enough and groaned with annoyance when his water spilled all over his lap. “Hyung!” He whined.

“Sorry, Yoseob,” Doojoon didn’t even look at Yoseob, instead looking between Hyunseung and Junhyung, who were both staring at him in shock. “Hyunseung, Junhyung – living room. NOW.” The two didn’t hesitate to scramble out of their seats and run to the living room. When they were out of the kitchen, Doojoon looked at Yoseob, Gikwang, and Dongwoon. “The three of you go to your rooms.”

“But, hyung -!” Dongwoon was about to object, but he froze when Doojoon glared at him. “My room, right! Gotcha!” With the same speed as Hyunseung and Junhyung, the three took off for their rooms. None of them had seen their leader so angry before, and they didn’t want to make it any worse.

--

Doojoon stormed into the living room and glared at Junhyung and Hyunseung, who were standing awkwardly on opposite sides of the room. “SIT,” he pointed at the couch. The two looked at each other and slowly approached the couch like kindergarteners being sent to “the corner.” Once the two were seated, Doojoon stood in front of them and glared at each of them. “I don’t care how well you can hide it from the press and fans,” he began to say. “But when the hostility between you two is so bad that it’s making it awkward at the dinner table – we have a problem,” he glared at each of them for a second, noting that they couldn’t meet his gaze, both lowering their eyes in shame. “You’re both grown men – stop acting like brats!” He threw his arms up in the air, “I don’t even know what the problem is! What the hell is going on between you two?” He dropped his arms and a silence permeated the air.

“…It’s a long story,” Hyunseung finally muttered.

“It must be an interesting one if the two of you are being THIS hostile towards each other,” Doojoon crossed his arms and directed his deadpan stare at Hyunseung. He and Junhyung both remained silent, and Doojoon scoffed, getting their attention. “I’m WAITING…”

“…Do you remember Shin Eun Mi?” Junhyung began slowly, shifting uncomfortably when Doojoon looked at him.

“Your ex-girlfriend?” Doojoon said while quirking an eyebrow. The awkward silence returned, and Doojoon’s eyes widened in shock. “Is SHE what this whole thing is about?” He cried in disbelief. “The two of you are acting like brats over a GIRL?”

“She’s more than that!” Hyunseung objected, shooting up in his seat.

“What do you know about her?” Junhyung snapped, whipping his head around and glaring at Hyunseung.

“A lot more than you EVER did!” Hyunseung responded angrily, and without missing a beat.

“Shut up!” Doojoon snarled, making both of them snap back to their looks of shame. He sighed heavily and raised his hands to massage him temples. “So… The two of you are behaving like brats because you fell in love with the same girl?”

“And then he -” Hyunseung paused and whipped his arm out to point at Junhyung at the opposite end of the couch, “-Acted like an and chased her away!” Doojoon continued to massage his temples, but stopped when he didn’t hear any objections from Junhyung.

He opened one eye and glanced at him, “No objections?” Junhyung had his arms crossed and was slouching into the sofa, glaring in the direction away from both Doojoon and Hyunseung.

“…No,” he mumbled. “I didn’t treat her with the love and respect she deserved; I know that.”

“And you’re pissed at Hyunseung for stating the obvious?” Doojoon gestured at Hyunseung while staring at Junhyung in disbelief.

“I’m pissed at Hyunseung for falling in love with her behind my back and trying to steal her from me!” He snapped, finally meeting Doojoon’s eyes.

“I didn’t fall in love with her behind your back!” Hyunseung objected angrily. “It’s your own fault for being so oblivious and not paying any attention to her!” He stood up and pointed at Junhyung. “And let me clarify something -” his voice went from loud and angry to dangerously low and full of spite, “-Eun Mi isn’t an OBJECT that you can POSSESS. She’s allowed to make her own decisions, and she made the decision to leave you,” he hissed.

“Do you think you can take me, Hyunseung?” Junhyung stood up and took a step towards Hyunseung.

“Knock it off!” Doojoon snapped, stepping between them and pushing them apart. “You’re both acting like children!” All three of them froze when a song started playing somewhere in the room. Doojoon and Junhyung shared a look and then slowly turned to Hyunseung, who was edging away slowly. “Hyunseung…” Doojoon began slowly. “Are you going to answer that?” Hyunseung swallowed nervously and reached into his pocket, pulling out his phone with the screen lit up.

“Yoboseyo?” He answered. Immediately, his face lit up. “Yah!” He gasped, turning around and becoming oblivious to the presence of Doojoon and Junhyung. “How are you? I haven’t heard from you in awhile, are you doing alright?” He was silent, and the two could see him nodding enthusiastically. “Really?” He turned a little and they could see his wide smile. “That’s great! I’m very happy for you!” Doojoon cleared his throat and Hyunseung froze, his smile vanishing and eyes going wide with horror. He glanced at the two other men in the room, who were both glaring at him; Junhyung more so than Doojoon.  “Um… I’m going to have to call you back…” He mumbled. He slowly hung up and turned to them, cowering slightly. “So, um…”

“Who was that, Hyunseung?” Junhyung growled, stepping towards Hyunseung threateningly.

“That was… Um…” Hyunseung bit his lip and looked away, shifting back from Junhyung.

“That was her, wasn’t it?” Junhyung hissed, tensing up like a snake. “That was Eun Mi?” Hyunseung continued to bite his lip and stare at the ground.

“I… I can’t…” He shook his head and turned away from Junhyung. Junhyung stormed over to Hyunseung and seized the front of his shirt, yanking him towards him and glaring into his eyes, which were wide with fear.

“Answer me!” He snapped in Hyunseung’s face. Hyunseung winced and shook his head.

“I can’t -”

“Why not?” Junhyung snapped, shaking Hyunseung once.

“I thought we established this already!” Hyunseung snapped, his look of fear disappearing. “I love her!”

“Junhyung, let go of him!” Doojoon snapped, appearing beside Junhyung and seizing his arms to pry them off of Hyunseung. “You’re both behaving like children!” He finally managed to break Junhyung’s hold on Hyunseung, sending the two of them staggering back in opposite directions. He stepped between them and held his arms out, keeping them a safe distance apart.

“You can look for her, Junhyung; I won’t stop you!” Hyunseung snapped, backing away. “But don’t bother asking me anything, because I won’t tell you!” Hyunseung then whirled around and left the room.

“Hyunseung!” Junhyung snarled, trying to brush past Doojoon to follow Hyunseung.

“Give it up, Junhyung,” Doojoon sighed, blocking Junhyung’s way. “You’re not going to get anything that will help you find her out of him,” he shook his head. Junhyung glared at Doojoon, but sighed after a few moments and dragged himself over to the couch, collapsing onto it. “…I’m going to talk to our manager,” Doojoon said after a minute or two.

“About what’s going on between me and Hyunseung?” Junhyung mumbled.

“No; if I do that there’s a chance that one of you will be kicked out of the group.”

“I wouldn’t mind that,” Junhyung grumbled. Doojoon rolled his eyes.

“You need a break, Junhyung,” he declared. “I’ll talk to our manager about you having a few days off from interviewing and other press-related things. We can say you’re working intently in the studio or something,” Doojoon dragged his hand down his face and turned to leave the room. “Just go to bed now, Junhyung,” the leader shook his head one last time and left the room, leaving Junhyung on his own to stare at the ceiling.

----------

Believe me when I say I would've had this updated sooner, but the internet up at my school is messed up and hasn't been working well for the past few weeks. However, now I'm home for Spring break! YAAAAAAAAY!!!