Tick Me Off

Tick Me Off
Please log in to read the full chapter

- a tribute to mark lee who's turning 18 today -

from. a fan of yours

-01

It was Tuesday. Last period. Those two things being combined could only mean one thing. Boring and being sleepy. Well, at least it is for Herin.

The girl quickly enters the classroom, the history book - that has like 500 pages, really, it's heavier than a thesaurus - and a binder on her arms, hugged tightly to her chest as she made her way to her usual seat.

Unless today it would be different because her seat mate, Lami is not present - both in Biology and History, ugh - so she would probably spend the three periods alone.

"Good luck on surviving, babe." Her best friend, Hina said as the two did a bump fist and then they made their way to each seat.

Her seat is a window seat, on the 3rd row because even though her eyesight is blurry like when she sits there, Herin thinks it's not a problem at all because she would usually doze off in History.

a, because the teacher is an old man in his 60s who tells them history as if he was reading a bedtime story and b, because she always stays up late on Monday's night because of some reasons so she didn't get enough sleep.

The teacher enters and everyone just shut up in an instant because the teacher is pissed off really easily if he was disturbed. Herin tried hard to keep her eyes opens through out the first period but it always finds a way to close itself. Today, fortunately, she's not that sleepy.

So Herin tries her best to take notes from whatever the old man said.

20 minutes into the class and the door is slammed open and then, whispers are heard clearly between each other.  A brown haired boy makes an appearance, his white shirt all a mess and sweats dripping down from his hair.

If Herin says she didn't know him, it's not really a lie. She recognizes him almost instantly - and his badge is somewhat special, duh - but to say she knows him personally, nah.

It's Mark Lee. Probably one of the hottest guys in the school. Scratch that, it's not probably. Indeed, he is one of the hottest guys in the school.

"Lee! What a surprise that you even made an appearance in my class." The teacher, Mr. Yoon made another sarcastic remark and Herin notices that everyone - even those who are sleeping are all awake - are paying him attention.

"I'm helping out a friend, Sir. Lee Jeno, from class 2 injured his knee badly so I accompany him to-" "Okay, that's enough. Take a sit and pay attention to my class. Your points on the next exam will be reduced by 5." Mr. Yoon cut him off and Herin could see how Mark rolled her eyes.

"Yes, sir." He said and that's when the old man turns back to the whiteboard, writing something on it that Herin didn't really get and after a good 30 seconds, Herin finally notices that Mark was standing right beside her.

"Is this person absent?" Mark asked her in a low voice, pointing at the seat beside her and Herin nods her head, "Yeah. Skipping class."

Mark smiles a bit at her answer before he decides to take a seat before Mr. Yoon could lecture him further.

For a good 10 minutes, Herin was busy writing everything that's written on the board - because she can't not pass this class and to do so, it needs hard work and dedication so yeah - when Mark taps her shoulder lightly.

"Can I borrow a pen?" He asked her and flashed a gummy smile. Oh wow, the rumors are true. Mark Lee is hot! Herin thinks he's probably the second hottest thing on earth beside the sun - the first one is reserved for somebody else already - and Herin was stunned.

"Yeah, sure," Herin said with a shrug before she searches for another pen before giving it to him. Mark mouthed a 'thanks' before he then opens his notebook and starts to do his own thing.

After one period - around 45 minutes - passed by, Herin finally decided to sleep instead of taking notes down because she's too sleepy and it's not like she understands anything either.

She was wide awake when someone - a really certain person - nudge her shoulder with a rather hard thing and ouch, that hurts and Herin turns to her right to find Mark smiling really widely.

"Hey, sorry to rudely wake you like that but uh... I try to tap your shoulder but you didn't wake up so..." A blush crept on her cheek. , Herin was so embarrassed. She has always been a heavy sleeper especially if she actually didn't get enough rest - god, she can sleep for 12 hours straight every day.

"Oh, I- no, that's okay." She said quickly, trying her best to keep her cool but when Mark lets out a soft chuckle, she knew she failed.

"Anyway, thanks for the pen." Mark said, putting the pen on top of her open binder before he went back to whatever business he is in.

And for the rest of the class, Herin was too distracted by admiring him. Not like it's her fault that he's handsome though.

When the bell rings, everyone gets up almost instantly with their backpack all ready and some of the guys even went out of the class before the teacher does - Mr. Yoon was on the nag again but no one cares so one by one, everyone left, anyway.

Herin was about to leave when Mark shoots up a smile that somehow makes her heart fluttered - but really, it's probably because of his looks, any kind of guy who is good looking will make her heart flutters, really - and then he waves at her.

Oh god, is he going to act like we're best buddies now? Herin though. In the end, she could only wave back, even though when she did the boy was already too occupied by his best friend.

"My ing god, Herin!" A loud voice, one that is particularly high pitched and Herin recognizes it in a split of second, that's probably Hina.

The expected girl yanked her back when they're already in front of the class. "Oh my god! You get to sit with Mark!" She was obviously, more than excited than Herin was - Herin thinks it's heart fluttering, not exciting.

"Uh-huh, should I thank Lami for being absent?" Herin asked the girl jokingly and the Japanese girl hits her arm in a playful manner.

"Why are you so lucky?"

"I don't know. Why are you not?"

"Ugh, not everyone has that kind of luck." Hina said in annoyance and Herin only laughed.

"You know what, if I were you I would probably try to talk to him all the ing time. That might be my only chance because you know I would never go up just to talk to him." Hina said as she drags the other girl through the hallway and out of the school building.

"And I was so annoyed about the fact that you actually just sleep through it. You have the time of your life and you sleep?" Hina asked her but it was as if she was mad - or maybe she was - with the way she screamed on Herin's ears.

"He didn't even talk to me, Hina! I would rather sleep you know. Also, if you forgot I don't have time to look at other boys." Herin said, throwing some hints and hoping that Hina would actually get it.

She did, in the end and Hina only giggled. "Ow, right. I'm sorry." She said, apologizing with a rather soulless tone but Herin didn't really care.

"But I do saw you admiring him though?"

Herin ignored the question. She didn't need any other person to know about it and to embarrass herself more. God.

-02

The next Tuesday was not any better than the last one because oh my god, Herin seriously felt like skipping class - and she is really close to doing it until she gets pulled back by Hina.

It's just really exhausting. Especially the last period which is Biology and damn the teacher just needs to make them do a 1000 words essay on some things Herin is confused about. Really, she knows she could do well but... at this state of hers, it's just impossible.

Herin is sure that her brain is about to explode after one period of history - that if she's lucky to not let it explode after 10 minutes of lectures. Also, history is boring as and she's also sleepy as . It adds up. Unfortunately the equal is to her sleeping in the class.

The girl is just going to blame it on Johnny, her brother who told her that he needs help on his assignment and keep her up until at least 2 A.M. and even without that, all her energy has been drained previously by her social tutor session with Johnny's friend, Doyoung.

So the first thing she did when she finally sat down in the classroom is to close her eyes and leaned her head on the wall for support. Her seatmate, Lami is once again nowhere to be seen and by now, Herin is more than sure she's going to go absent once again. Damn, that junior.

Yet when someone pulled out the chair beside her - it makes a squeaking sound on the floor - Herin's eyes flutter open quickly. She kind of expects it to be Lami - which still makes no sense to her - but instead, it was a boy with peanut shade of brown hair, wide eyes,  a  rather sharp nose and pink lips that are curled up into a signature smile - that's Mark Lee.

Alarmed, Herin's eyes widened as she leaned in more to the wall, shocked to see the presence of this boy.

"Can I sit here?" He asked, his smile is still there. Herin raised her eyebrow, "Uh... my friend is sitting her?" She lied - okay, so she lied but it's not that Herin didn't want him to sit her, I mean, which girl doesn't want to sit beside a good looking boy? But it's more about what popped into her mind first and unfortunately, it's being defensive.

"I don't think she'd show up, actually." Mark said after a laugh and then he offered him a... smirk? God, Herin hates how she think of how hot he is.

"But what if she-" "I'm sure she can give up this seat for me."

Oh, how Herin hates how confident he sounds.

"There are many seats-" "But I wanna sit with you." Mark cut her off with his nicely accented English and if she said it doesn't sound huskily pleasant, then she's lying.

Herin sighed in defeat, there's no way she would win against him so in the end, she offered him a big smile before she replies while pointing at the chair, "Then it's all yours, Mark."

Mark could only smile before he plopped down on now 'his' seat and at the same time, their history teacher went inside the room, slamming his thick book against the desk - making a really loud 'thud' probably from how heavy it was - and that shut up almost all the students in their class.

Herin, as always, tried her best to keep her eyes open, but it was full of struggles. While on the other hand, Mark only watches her and can't help but feel amused at how she acted though he only keeps on staring. Herin though didn't notice the amused glance he throws - it was too much of a struggle to even keep her eyes open at this rate.

However, she failed to do so. In the end, the pen that she has been holding dropped on her open binder as it rolled over a bit on the desk and her eyes close instantly, followed by her head hanging low, falling to the side of the wall.

Mark lets out a chuckle at the sight, he seriously thinks that she's cute by now. He peeks on her binder - and found out that the girl actually has been taking down notes, well, before she fell asleep that is.

Mark kind of want to help her but thinking about it, he's too lazy. And he's also tired, man.

Mark Lee doesn't like taking notes down and just because he kind of feel bad for her - for falling asleep - doesn't mean what he will do it for her. He's kind but not to that extent, and also, he was also planning to sleep.

So what Mark Lee does is taking out his phone, go to the recorder and hit the start button and he dozes off himself - at least until 10 minutes before history ends. And that, my friend, is why technology is a blessing.

Mark Lee was rudely awakened when a paper ball hits the top of his head perfectly - and Mark, with his eyes shooting glares and lips shaped into a frown, turns his head to the front right and just like expected it's his best friend, Donghyuck.

Donghyuck Lee. The person that people called as Mark's soulmates but Mark would rather not call him that.

"What?" He hisses lowly at the boy and Donghyuck just gave him a smirk. , Mark thought. He turns to his left and sure enough, Herin was still fast asleep.

Oh my god, why is she so cute? Mark thought.

To admire her like this maybe makes him kinda creepy but seriously, when Mark thought his heart is about to die, stone cold, she came.

This is at least what Mark notices after how he feels like his heart is fluttering after the history last week. And Mark is not dense enough to be oblivious to this kind of feelings. He knew well it's from her.

And it was as if God says 'let there be light' to his cold heart, and then here he is with her. Okay, that was kind of exaggerated maybe, but Mark is really serious in his mind right now.

Mark looks at his phone, before he looks up and when he found Mr. Yoon already finished his lecture, he stopped the recording before he stuffed his phone back into the pocket of his pants.

Mark took out a post it from his bag - how he has it for such a lazy student he is, don't ask why and how. He writes on it and then slipped it in between the papers on her binder.

After that, Mark didn't spare a glance to her anymore. When the bell rings, he stood up almost hurriedly and with catching a final glimpse of Herin - who is still sleeping - Mark made his way to Donghyuck and went out of the class.

-03

"So... I heard from a certain someone that you sit with Mark Lee on history. How is it?" One of her other best friends, Koeun asked as she wriggles her eyebrow and gave Herin a smug look. Koeun's eyes are shining brightly, as if she was really curious but knowing how the girl has a  crush on the said boy, it's not surprising.

"Not much. Good, but he's so stubborn, I guess." Herin answered with a shrug.

Hina only rolled her eyes before she looks at Koeun. "Man, she sat with Mark Lee twice but she decides to sleep for both times!" Hina commented in annoyance.

"Not my fault. Johnny made me stay awake until 2 and Hina, that Biology class is so, so, distressing me. I'm tired, so I sleep." Herin explained and Koeun laughs.

"Oh my, you're so gonna fail history this term. Stop sleeping, Herin." Koeun said, still laughing.

Herin could only shrug, "Nah, I think I can manage a B-, really."

The girl then opens her binder slightly, trying to check her unfinished notes and her eyes catch the red piece of paper instead. Herin glanced at her two best friends and found them distracted so she took a look on the paper carefully.

'I record the class for you, try to contact me if you want, cutie -u know who'

There's only one person that comes to her mind that she knows will write something like this. God damn, it's Mark Lee, she's convinced. Herin tried her best to stop the growing smile that's playing on the corner of her lips. God, just kill her right now.

"... And then I was trying to- wait, Herin, are you listening to me or are you in your own world?" Hina asked, waving her hand in front of the mentioned girl's face.

"Uh, not really listening." Herin answered, smiling sheepishly at her friends as she closes her binder.

"I knew it. What were you thinking?" Hina asked again and Herin pursed her lips together. Telling the two about the fact that Mark told her to contact him for notes doesn't seem to be that good.

They would probably freak out.

"Just remember I'm supposed to take notes because my tutor has been nagging me again." Herin answered with a rather true lie. That's definitely not what she's thinking but her tutor Doyoung has been nagging her a lot about sleeping at class, indeed.

It's not really her fault that she felt tired though.

"Doyoung?" Koeun asked and Herin nods. Right, Koeun is Doyoung's neighbor. She probably knows the guy well.

"I thought you quit his tutor last time?" Koeun asked, but she didn't sound suspicious at all - just, pure curiosity.

"Doyoung told me that he's doing it for free now, so yeah, we only have one session but like, I'm not gonna pass this. He's smart." Herin answered, and yeah, it's true.

After she told the rabbit-like man that she would quit, he refused to and even told her that it's okay if he's doing it for free. Even though Herin doesn't want to say 'yes', Johnny told her that it's a rare chance that she'd probably regret if she passed it.

Koeun gave her a firm nod. "You really need him though."

"I'd rather not though. He's kind of a pain in the ."

The trio laughed, as they made their way, exiting the school building.

-04

It didn't take another Tuesday for both Hein and Mark to talk again. It was Friday when Herin tried her best to get Mark's number and succeed after actually asking a girl in her class - because she can't try asking her friend, god damn it, they would never let her go that way.

So, on Friday night, when Herin just closed her Skype on her laptop, the girl grabbed her phone and she quickly scrolls through her contacts. Should she really message him?

It's not like she really needs the recording. She could easily try to contact Yi Yang, a transfer student from China who's a literal teacher's pet - but it's not like Herin has anything against the girl, Yi Yang is really nice - for those notes she wants.

Why should it be Mark?

Okay, but her mind, in the end, betrayed all her thoughts. Herin found herself texting the boy in another minute.

Herin
sent 8:12 PM
hey
is this mark
or is it not

 Mark
 sent 8:12 PM
 yup
 who's this
 
 Mark
 sent 8:13 PM
 let me guess
 history seatmate?

Herin
sent 8:15 PM
wow how did u know
but yeah

 Mark
 sent 8:16 PM
 is it the recording
 or something else

Herin
sent 8:16 PM
recording
and thank you
in advance, u know

 Mark
 sent 8:18 PM
 so I've been thinking bout it but what about we meet up?
 and uh, we can listen to it together?
 I kinda not want to fail this class
 no prob if I do tho, if I'm with you

Herin
sent 8:20 PM
how
should
I
react
to
that

 Mark
 sent 8:21 PM
 OH MY GOD DID I SCARE YOU
 im sorry
 my weird side came up

Herin
sent 8:25 PM
yeah i freaked out
but
ok?

Herin
sent 8:27 PM
l mean, thats good

 Mark
 sent 8:30 PM
 sorry donghyuck called
 BUT YAEAH THATS GOOD
 * yeah

 Mark
 sent 8:31 PM
 wait do I sound too excited or

Herin
sent 8:31 PM
yeah...

Herin
sent 8:32 PM
u free tomorrow?
let's do it if you are

 Mark
 sent 8:35 PM
 actually my friends just made plans like minutes ago
 but you know I can always cancel it

Herin
sent 8:36 PM
wait
no its okay if you can't

 Mark
 sent 8:36 PM
 no really its okay
 not like i can't hang out with them other time
 I mean with you is 1/100
 
 Mark
 sent 8:37 PM
 lifetime chance
 can't pass this

Herin
sent 8:37 PM
should I be flattered

 Mark
 sent 8:38 PM
 coming from someone like me so yea you should
 ;)

Herin
sent 8:38 PM
ugh ok
see you tmr

 Mark
 sent 8:39 PM
 ok
 good nite
 love ya

Herin
sent 8:39 PM
um...


 Mark
 sent 8:40 PM
 OMG THATS FOR DONGHYUCK
 am sorry
 forget it
 I
 just sorry

Herin
sent 8:41 PM
ok lol I g2g
bye mark

Herin closed her phone, throwing it to her bed before she closed her eyes. That was a long conversation with him.

And there are only two words for Mark.

'stop it'.

Because somehow, Herin could feel her ears reddened and her face heating up. Oh my god, she thought as a weird feeling appeared on her stomach.

And for the rest of the night, Herin tried her best to keep Mark out of her mind. Failed, though.

--05

Saturday morning that week passed by smoothly. Herin woke up around 8 in the morning which is considered pretty early as she usually only woke up around 11 most of the time when it's weekends.

But it's probably only because Johnny knocked on her door, telling her that he made her breakfast and their mom already went out to work and that he needs to go out with Doyoung and his other friend, Taeil.

So that's why Herin spends around 2 or 3 hours watching the TV alone in the lounge room as she also blasted out some new releases of her favorite music through her phone. And then it was already around 11 when Herin remembers she had a... date - no, just a meeting, maybe - with Mark.

Herin swore she sprinted to her bedroom faster than Usain Bolt that time. It took her around 20 minutes to finally get her makeup done and another stressing 20 minutes to pick on some nice clothes.

At first, she was about to wear a skirt, only to realize that it's still winter and she'd probably die in the cold if she wears it so in the end, Herin decided to go with a nice pink t-shirt, a black coat, and black pants.

And no, it's not like she tried to flatters Mark or anything, right? She just wants to at least look presentable when she meets him. She didn't want to feel under dressed, especially when she knows she's meeting one of the hottest guys at school - that she doesn't have hots for.

But when Herin finally met Mark at a corner coffee shop at the street down from their school, she felt relieved as she saw him with a white t-shirt and beige sweater vest, as his legs are perfectly wrapped around tight light blue jeans. He looks really fine though, she can't deny it.

"I thought you would cancel this last minute." Mark said, smiling as he pulled out the chair for her to sit and Herin replied the polite gesture with another smile and a small 'thanks'.

"I kinda forgot about it until last minute, actually." Herin replied, grinning sheepishly as she sat down.

And that's also when she realizes how awkward it is. God, she should have just cancel it. Sitting only with someone - who happens to be Mark Lee - who's just right across her like this seriously feels like a date.

Seems like some blind date Hina would have made her go to if not for the fact that she doesn't need any other dates.

"Uh, so, wanna listen to it together, maybe?" Mark asked and because Herin doesn't really want to do anything that is rather out of the context, she only nods awkwardly.

"Yeah, okay."

So, because Mark finds it awkward for them to sit across each other like that, the boy moves and sit right beside her before he pulls out his phone and plugged in the earphone.

Herin was about to take one of the earphones when she offered it only to be a bit startled when she felt him put it on her ear. And oh my god, blood is so rushing to her face when he made the contact.

Mark acts like he didn't notice anything weird - and acts so innocent as if he didn't just make her heart beats faster than it usually does and as if he didn't just make some light skinship that shouldn't have been really shared because for god's sake, Herin only have met him twice and he's already like this.

But anyway, Herin managed to survive. At least for another 10 minutes until she got confused a lot by Mr. Yoon's lecture. Probably because Mark only records the audio and not record it as a video instead - which means she will know what to really write down from the board.

Thankfully, Mark also seems to notice it as he sighed deeply. Before he paused the recording and then turns to looks at her. When no sound came out from the earphone, Herin turns to look at him and god, she swears her face must have flushed red for being flustered when they made eye contact.

"Do you want to watch a movie instead?" Mark asked her and Herin's eyes widened at the sudden offer. It doesn't take her long to agree to it though. She almost agrees in a heartbeat because damn god, that was boring.

So Mark kinda pulled out a laptop from his bag before he opens it and blah blah blah until he found a collection of movies that he has.

The two of them ended up watching Beauty And The Beast after scrolling down through the list, all because Herin told him how the animation made her cry and all but really, she never thought Mark would go 'oh then we shall watch this live adaptation' on her and clicking the video.

So they spend the next 1 hour watching the movie. And when it was the already the last scene where Belle and Beast - who have transformed to a prince - have reunited together, Herin have only realized how tears are building up in her eyes.

And what's more embarrassing is probably about the fact that Mark seems to notices it first. "You have tears in your eyes, Herin." He commented first, subtly pressing his lips together as if he didn't want to show that he's smiling.

Herin, who was shocked, widened her eyes and that's when tears finally started to stream down slowly to her cheeks. "I-" "Hey, it's okay." Mark cut her off and , why does that sound so soothing on her ears?

Herin was really sure that she could die when Mark wipes her tears with his fingers and god knows why Herin's heart starts palpitating really hard when it brushed against his skin.

For the rest of the day, Herin tried her best not to look at Mark in the eyes at all. She failed several times because they still spend the next 30 minutes together and , Mark was literally smiling eye to eye when he told her, "It's a really nice to hang out with you, Herin."

Herin only nods shyly, muttering a 'me too' and all, before she exits the shop and the girl literally tries to walks faster than she usually does so she could get home quickly.

And when she finally reached home, she sprinted to her bedroom - passing a confused Johnny who asked 'where did you go' that goes ignored, of course - as she throws her body to her bed and buried her face hard on the pillow.

Beep!

Herin opened her phone quickly, only to get a notification of a new message from no other than Mark. Taking a deep breath, Herin opened it.

 Mark
 sent 4:12 PM
 are u home?
 did u get home safe?

Herin
sent 4:13 PM
yeah I did
thanks for today

The girl throws her phone away right after, only to meet a beep the next second. It takes her almost 5 minutes because she was so hesitant to open it. She did though, in the end, and instead of getting 1 notification, Herin was shocked to see 2.

 Mark
 sent 4:14 PM
 ok, I enjoy it a lot too! let's hang out more sometimes

Herin raised her eyebrow, before she types an 'ok' and then went back to the messages. Herin swore she almost drops her phone when she saw the other message, and god, her heart already did, actually.

 love <3
 sent 4:14 PM
 herinnnn
 guess who'll go back to korea in April?
 i'm gonna see like after a month bby
 lots of love from me

Herin
sent 4:20 PM
I AM SO HAPPY
OH GOD

Herin
sent 4:21 PM
OH GOD

Fortunately, Herin could sleep well that night. Unlike how she expected it to be. And Herin's heart is full of happiness. Like, literally. God knows what would happen in her life next.

-06

Times passed by quickly. It was around mid-February when Mark first meets Herin, it was also the first time since forever that Mark actually thinks history might be really interesting.

And now it's already nearing the end of March. It's already on the 20s, which means it's going to be April in no time.

What he never knows is the presence of the girl in his life would take a really big turn in his life - constantly changing all his routines, constantly changing him and somehow, even manage to change his perspective.

Mark thinks it's scary - but it is somehow amazing. It has been almost two seasons since he felt something like this. Which means it's like last spring or summer when he actually felt like this.

"You, guys!" Mark shouted as he approached the 5 boys sprawled on the grass field of Chenle's mansion garden. Him, and his rich friends, indeed.

Donghyuck and him quickly join them, as they run - while throwing their bag in the air in the middle of it - and then throws their body to the grass, their backs hitting the bare green plants hard and their eyes blinded by the sun as they looked up.

The team only responded with a chorus of 'ya finally here.' and Donghyuck and Mark only sheepishly grins at them - blaming it on their teacher instead which the group only responded with 'ok'.

They hang out like always. Talking about soccer stuff, and then to some movies or games that have recently came out or just throwing random comments to anyone. And somehow Mark is the center of attention for today.

"So... Heard you're getting close with Seo Herin." It was Jisung, but everyone - even Donghyuck who practically has all of the classes with him - nods their head in agreement and when Mark looks over to Donghyuck the boy only smirked at him.

"Yea, we're seatmates in History now." Mark replied, trying to imply how platonic it is between him and the girl - even though his mind is sure that it was an absolute lie, his mind realizes it.

"And?"

Mark raised his eyebrow at Jeno, who was eagerly staring back at him. "And... we're close?" Mark asked back.

The 6 boys groaned at his lame attempt at answering it.

"Are you like... trying to flirt with her, Mark?" Renjun, Mark's neighbor and best friend since infant - ok, maybe not really - asked him curiously and Mark went silent. He sure knows what his friends expect.

Is he? Not really. He's just kinda flirty with the people that he's comfortable with - it's something that is rather unavoidable. It's just how he always acts, and surprisingly, despite looking like a very calm and reserved person, Mark found her really fun and nice to talk to.

Like, how she laughs at his usual jokes and snorts at some lame ones. How she always took her time to reply anything that he said and how she scrunched her nose when she's confused as what to answer him or how she always look spaced out when talking to him - it's all a new variety for him.

But deeps down, he may have like her - somehow more than just liking a friend, or liking a mere person.

"Uh, I don't know?"

That was a stupid answer. Mark is very sure that he's not flirting with her. Oh well, his heart just kinda convinced him that he may have like her with all the constant stare and smiles he gave her but does it passed as flirting?

Well, maybe, Mark kind of pass her a few pick up lines. Damn.

"Well, damn, out of all people, you decide to go with her." It was Jaemin who have been all laid back earlier, who made his ears perked up - and of course, it does, he say it like it's a real misfortune. His stares pierce into Mark's eyes and Mark knows anything that Jaemin would say is probably going to be a really bad thing for him.

"Why?" Mark blurted out. Jaemin's lips are tightly shut as if he didn't want to talk and Mark now really wonders why. Finally, after a pregnant silent, Donghuck is the one who spoke - not without a lot of cusses first to Jaemin who's been hinting on him to talk.

"She's Kim Yeri's cousin and yup, it's the same Yeri you dated and dumped."  Donghyuck said and then it's silent once again. It has always been a sensitive topic to bring up anything that has Yeri in it - it was an unspoken opinion, but all the 7 boys silently agree on it.

Ok, so Mark kind of can't see how the two girls can be related to each other by blood. Like, okay, so maybe both of them are really beautiful but other than that, it's a real nah for him.

Herin is kind of reserved, cute - like boldly written cute, and maybe have a good taste in humor while Yeri... god, she is everything that Herin isn't. Not that it's a bad thing but man, they are related? That just blows around 30% chance of Herin and him getting together.

Oh, wait - why is he even thinking about being with her?

"That's not even the actual problem." Donghyuck said and Mark raised his eyebrow, what else could be the problem? Unless-

"She has a boyfriend. 4 years into relationship, they start dating when they graduated from junior high and I heard he's hot." Donghyuck said, cutting off all his thoughts and- oh.

"Better than me?" Mark asked cockily, laughing at his own question as the others rolled their eyes.

"Ew, shut up. Since when did your ego burst this much?" Chenle asked him and Mark shrugs.

Donghyuck probably notices how lost Mark is in this thoughts, and picking up the hint, he changes the topic quickly, bringing all the attention to his own life instead of Mark's. Mark passed him a smile, and the red head only smiled back at him - Mark guesses it's just a Donghyuck thing to do, to help him when he can do nothing.

Man, Mark wishes he never has meet Herin now. Because now that he actually is falling for her, she breaks all of his feelings without even knowing. Not like it's Herin's fault that his heart is once again shattered.

Mark can't help but only blame himself - there's just really no one out there to blame, they are all innocent. He shouldn't have loved anyone else. One heartbreak is more than enough.

He's definitely not ready for two.

But Mark knows that despite all of this, his heart will probably keep on falling for the girl, and it gets more dangerous as it gets deeper. Damn Herin, and her pretty face that is probably why she has a lover.

Also, that is probably the reason why he can't get her out of his mind. Not even when he's all tucked in his bed at night. Not even when he's in dream.

Oh, god, just kill him already.

-07

It was already Saturday of March's last week and Herin should have been laying on her bed, doing the piled up assignments that the teacher gave her but instead, she's in a stadium that is filled with a lot of people, with Koeun and Hina.

"I never thought you'd actually come up with us!" Koeun said in a gleeful tone, shaking Herin's body as the three of them made their way to the front seat that they already reserved.

It was great, sitting at the very front. At least you'll get a really clear view of the game - no people will block your sight so you could probably understand and know what is actually happening in the game.

"Johnny force me to go out, and so did the two of you. How am I supposed not to come here?" Herin asked, laughing at the very end as they both sit down on the first line bench, with her squished in between Hina and Koeun.

"Well, but for real, you don't even like soccer game." Hina commented and Herin glared at the Japanese girl.

"Okay, but like, you two are all here for the players. Don't act all pro with me." Herin pointed out and Koeun laughed before the latter sets her eyes on one certain person.

"You can't deny the fact that Mark Lee is really hot when he's playing soccer though, seriously. How does he manage to always look like that?" Koeun asked, placing her elbow on her knees as she rested her chin on her palm, her face seems as if she's dreaming about the boy.

"Mark Lee is so weird though." Herin said with a shrug.

That's not really a lie though. If she should be honest, one of the reasons why she's here other than the already stated one is because of him. Mark has spammed her inbox with him asking her to come to his game since this will be his last one before he graduates.

Herin told him that she doesn't really like soccer in the first place so she doesn't know if she will actually come at first, but Mark keeps on insisting her to go - and god, that boy is indeed a stubborn one. He keeps on texting her about it, even calling her at some point only for her to say 'no, I'm not going to' before she hung up.

It was around Saturday last week.

When she meets him at school on Monday, he didn't say anything to her. But when he did meet her - as in saw her - he took out his phone, throwing his hands up in the air holding it and waving it around, signaling her to check her phone.

On Tuesday, Mark couldn't even shut up about it. From the very start to the end of the class, all he did is trying to get her to come to his last game. Okay, so maybe one can be stubborn but this is just too much. Why can't Mark gets her? She didn't like soccer. She didn't like going outside.

And she expects her to go outside for soccer game? That's actually a total no.

Her answer changes just the night before though, after Johnny has somehow been notified about the upcoming game and forced her to actually come - especially after he knew that one of the players (he didn't know Mark) told her to come.

So on Friday night, Herin's inbox is full of messages from Mark, Koeun, and Hina. Mark was so happy - it was so... amusing - when she told him that she'll come, and the other two was not any less happy than Mark.

But when the game starts, Herin started to regret her decision.

She didn't understand anything.

Well, at least she could see some players that she recognizes - Mark, of course, Donghyuck who she knew has like 4 classes together, and then a black haired boy called Jeno and from the other team is Jihoon, one of her neighbors that she used to be close to.

In the middle of the game though, Herin starts to get excited. Especially when her school's team scores the first goal of the game. Everyone in her section cheered really hard as Donghyuck shoots the ball, and it flies right to the goalpost. And even Herin screamed a ' yeah' when it happens.

Koeun starts teasing her about how she keeps on saying it's boring at first but Herin only rolled her eyes to the girl, trying to forget about what she actually says at first.

It was less than another 10 minute when the other school's team also scored a goal and everyone was so devastated. There are some players change on the break and Herin could definitely spot Mark and oh god- Koeun is right, he's just so blazingly attractive.

Maybe it was because of the bandana that he wore, or maybe it's because how he actually looks good on a simple black jersey that shows how good his body is, or maybe it's just some little thing but Herin is definitely swayed. God, help her.

It took Mark around a minute to actually notices her and Herin could see a smile spreading on his face. She was so ing glad both Hina and Koeun are going to the restroom at the moment because if they're here, they won't let her live. Well, actually, Herin doesn't even want to live.

Mark starts to wave his hand energetically at her and Herin tries her best to keep her cool as she waves back at him. He didn't say or do anything else other than that though, because the next second he already jogs up to his team again, talking with his coach and the other members until the break is over.

It was a long game on the second session, but when it ended, Herin was cheering so hard, standing on the floor as she jumps on spot, while Koeun was almost in tears and so is Hina.

The game ended with 4:2, her school's team leading the match and oh god, it must have felt so good for Mark, Herin thought.

It took her no time at all to notice a new message on her phone.

 Mark
 sent 11:16 AM
 DID U SEE MEEEEEE
 OMG I CANT BELIEVE THIS

Herin
sent 11:16 AM
CONGRATS ON WINNING
u play really well mark

Herin
sent 11:17 AM
not joking at all, really

 Mark
 sent 11:19 AM
 I KNOW
 thank you for coming :)
 I got so excited

 Mark
 sent 11:20 AM
 especially after I saw you
 ur pretty today btw

Herin
sent 11:21 AM
are we back at that
but thanks to u

Herin
sent 11:22 AM
but no srsly congrats
u win on ur last game
congrats!!!!!!

 Mark
 sent 11:22 AM
 why r u so sweet
 and thank u OMG
 
 Mark
 sent 11:23 AM
 u want ice cream? my treat

Herin
sent 11:23 AM
uh I came with my friends

 Mark
 sent 11:23 AM
 I know
 I notice

Herin
sent 11:24 AM
yeah so I cant, I gotta hang out with them
like after this
so I cant
sorry

 Mark
 sent 11:25 AM
 omg thats okay
 maybe tmr? ;)
 or after school

Herin
sent 11:25 AM
aren't u busy after school
?

 Mark
 sent 11:26 AM
 I can always make time if its for you

"Okay, so who are you texting, Herin? Your ears are so ing red." Hina said and Herin finally looked up from her phone, she turns off the screen at hurry before she shoved it into the pocket of her jeans.

"My boyfriend, of course. He's coming here next week."

That was a ing smooth lie. The first sentence is a lie. The second one isn't though. Hina and Koeun both seem very surprised at her information but in a split of seconds, it's shown how they are actually happy as they both smile widely.

"Oh my god, he is?" Hina asked and Herin nods her head.

They discussed about her boyfriend then, but really the only thing that Herin is thinking is about Mark and his ing text.

And oh, why do her ears even turn red at that?

At night, Herin finally decided that she couldn't deny about the fact that her heart indeed flutters when it comes to Mark Lee. And she's a really ing bad piece of human, right now.

At midnight, Herin is ing convinced that she wants to die. She really does.

-08

It was the first Thursday of April and instead of it being clear because it's going to be spring in no time, it rains.

Since the very first time she wakes up at the day, everything has been going down hill ever since. And that's not what she wants, it's supposed to go up, for her to get pumped up and all excited because, for god's sake, it's a rather special day today!

But instead, she came late to school and for the first period, she stands all alone in the hallway as a group of boys who passes her snickers at her and Herin only glares at them. And then, when it was Calculus class, Herin forgets that she hasn't finished her work yet and get called out. In the end, she got a C after a lot of convincing to the teacher.

She was so in a bad mood after that. She never gets C. Not in Calculus where she's supposed to be good at! And then, on top of those, she was held back for extra lessons which are why she ends up coming home so late!

God, can this day get any worse? Herin thought. Well, apparently it can.

When Herin was walking to the main gate, along the side of the soccer field, with an umbrella on her right hand, a sudden pain came.

A ing soccer ball - and not the plastic one too - hit her right on the knees, hard and she groaned in pain. Startled by the shock caused by it, she drops the umbrella as it falls on the muddy ground as Herin touched her knees.

God, not only that. Her uniform got splashed by the mud when the ball hits the ground. Now, not only that, , the pain just won't get away.

"My God!" Herin shouted, still clutching her knees.

"Oh my! I am so, so, so sorry! I really am sorry! Are you okay? Did it hurt a lot?" A familiar voice asked her. The voice of someone who has been stored in the very back of her mind and one that she remembers by heart - for real, though.

The person sounds worried but Herin was so annoyed that she almost cussed out at him when she heard his voice - god, she was so ready to flip whoever it is but as she looked up and saw the person's concerned face, all those words are tied on her tongue.

"Oh, Herin, it's you! Oh well, wait- are you okay?" Mark asked her but when he notices the girl was rather frozen, he wait for no answer but to pick up her umbrella before she took her arm and slung it over his shoulder and then he helps her walking to the bleacher - where at least both of them wouldn't be soaked by the rain, even though they already did.

"I'm okay." Herin stated once both of them are settled down on the bench. Lies, it hurts as hell and her uniform is dirty - and she's a clean freak. She's definitely far from okay, she just want to go home at once.

"Oh come on, don't lie to me! You're literally limping earlier." Mark pointed out and oh well, maybe he's right. She's not okay at all. Also, why did she even lie to him? Herin usually is a straight forward kind of person, so why did she lie? To not makes him feel bad? Yeah, maybe.

"Are you going home?" Mark asked her and Herin nods her head.

"Well yeah, of course. I have a sudden extra class for Physics just now with Mrs. Shin. It ended up later than I thought and I haven't texted my brother yet about it so yeah, I'm going home as fast as I can." Herin explained and Mark's mouth turned into an 'o' shape. It was very obvious that he feels really bad about what just happened though, as there seems to be a flash of worry on his face.

And well, Mark really feels sorry for her. It was such a miss, the kick. What bad luck is this? Mark was literally going to kick the ball to Donghyuck, but he slips a bit and then that's when the calculation goes wrong and the kick went out of direction - and then, it flies right to her.

"Wanna call someone to pick you up? I don't think you can go by yourself at this state. You won't even make it to the bus stop." Mark said, his last words are an obvious joke as he giggles a bit when he said it. Herin hit him on the arm jokingly but she admits, Mark does really light up the atmosphere at times like this - oh well, him and his lame words.

Herin then remembers something before she smiles sheepishly and then looks at him in the eye. "I... uh, can I borrow your phone then? My phone is dead like since a long time ago." She explained and Mark only smiles at her - a very gentle and sincere smile it is.

"Sure, wait here." And then, Mark stands up before he jogs up to get his phone on his backpack at the locker room. It took him rather long, probably because once he steps on the field again, s are bombarding him with questions. And they only let go of him after a good 5 minutes.

When he's back, Mark tossed his phone at her as she catches it perfectly - thankfully - and she was about to call someone when she felt a piece of cloth on top of her head.

Herin looks up slowly, but of course, the person that she found is no other than Mark Lee who's smiling so bright at her - and god, his smile definitely can rival the sun as the brightest thing in this universe, Herin thought.

"Your hair is so wet." Mark pointed out, pointing at her obviously soaked hair.<

Please log in to read the full chapter