The Festival

The Banishing Festival

                Normally, weather that was overcast and threatening rain would keep most people inside. Not so on a Banishing Festival day. Before the sun had even fully risen from its slumber, the citizens of New Lyndfell were awake and preparing. The bakers were crafting trays upon trays of breads and pastries and sweets to be shared by the city while the butchers were pit cooking, spit barbecuing, and stewing all the meat they could get their hands on for the coming festivities. Flyers and flags and trinkets and toys and all manner of goods had been crafted weeks in advance, specifically to be gifted to the residents.

                And overseeing all of it were the Elders – the name a title, not necessarily indicative of age. Sense-Elder Boah, the eldest of the Elders and the highest ranking Sensitive in the city, toyed with the onyx and marble pendant around her neck as she watched with the other four leaders of New Lyndfell. Atop their Citadel-esque tower, they could easily see the whole of the city with little trouble. Lacking the magic of their predecessors, they were unable to achieve the marvels the citizens of Lyndfell had.

                With black hair liberally streaked with gray and wrinkles appearing around her eyes and mouth, she looked aged indeed. The years weighing upon her did not show in her voice when she spoke, the sound firm and determined. “Another year, another festival.”

                “And more Sensitives chosen for the Banishing,” Surve-Elder Yunho reminded her softly. Almost unconsciously, he brushed his fingers against an identical onyx and marble pendant around his neck and kept his attention fixed upon the thriving city.

                “It’s not such a bad thing,” City-Elder Seungho reminded them, tapping on his pendant thoughtfully. “The people are happier without knowing the full truth, and the families are well taken care of. We know they often secure even better relations after these events,” he commented, trying to be positive, but there was a hint of uncertainty in his voice all the same.

                Lore-Elder Jolin, another Sensitive among their ranks, shook her head. “This is merely a patch on a larger problem. That we must continue this five year ritual is proof enough of that,” she admonished, glancing around the gathering with slightly narrowed eyes.

                “Aye,” the group sighed collectively, burdened by the weight of their knowledge.

                “Many have often said knowledge is power, but for all that we have, we are still powerless,” Martial-Elder Gunwoo frowned, running his hand through wavy brown locks. “I can train them all day, but should the Banishing seal break or should this festival not work, I fear we would all be lost.”

                “For a time,” Jolin nodded, gaze speculative. “That is likely what our ancestors thought before the city fell too,” she smiled grimly before looking over the horizon to where Lyndfell still stood – to where Yunho and Gunwoo would be taking Daehyun and Sunyoung this evening.

                “Keep in mind, we must consider what is happening on the other side,” Boah reminded them, looking down at the pendant. “I believe matters may be even more complex than we are aware.”

                “They always are,” Gunwoo snorted with a dismissive wave.

                “Enough of this foreboding musing,” Seungho deflected, stepping in with shooing hands. “These are matters we have discussed and that we continue to discuss every five years,” he reminded them as he tried to push their attention back to the festival at hand. “Now it is time to reassure the people and to ease the pain of the families who are giving up something so precious for the good of all.”

                “I swear you should have been a priest,” Yunho laughed, clapping the shorter man on the shoulder in a friendly gesture.

                “And perhaps you should have been a bard,” Seungho tossed back, nudging the Surve-Elder in the ribs.

                “Maybe you are right,” he winked. “Alas! The ruins have naught to appreciate my talents,” Yunho grinned, skillfully guiding the City-Elder towards the exit so they could descend.

                “I shall take my leave to prepare the younglings for this evening,” Jolin bowed politely, straight reddish-golden hair falling over her shoulders as she did so.

                “Order’s Wisdom guide you,” Boah and Gunwoo responded in tandem, offering equal bows.

                When she was out of sight, Boah sighed and turned to face Gunwoo, peering up at the taller man. “Yunho and his Surveyors have been finding more oddities. And not just in the ruins,” she admitted with a tense expression.

                “Have you seen more Traces then?” he inquired stoically.

                “Some.”

                His lips thinned into a pensive frown. “I have to wonder if ignorance is really best for them.”

                Boah laughed then. “And how would we counteract that? You know these pendants are the only remnants of before the Banishing that allow us to remember correctly.”

                “Perhaps we could copy the technology?” he mused, the thought energy dying before it could even take root.

                “We haven’t the ability to. The Banishing was supposed to have been perfect, but we know something went wrong. It worked enough to banish the Fell and all magic, but not enough to grant us an everlasting peace. And magic is the only thing allowing us to remember outside the forgetting geas in place on the lands of and around Lyndfell.” She placed a gentle, sad hand on Gunwoo’s shoulder. “Let us not forget that it also protects us.”

                “I’m aware,” Gunwoo grumbled irritably. As the youngest of the Elders, this history was still relatively new to him.

                “People want what they do not have and opening the seal for the sake of obtaining magic, never mind the consequences, could be catastrophic for us all. Both sides,” Boah emphasized, turning away to look over the city again.

                “And should the seal break anyway?” the Military-Elder questioned.

                Boah managed a wan smile as she looked over her shoulder. “Then may your preparations and the Wisdom of the Order guide us.”

                Gunwoo chuckled once, a half-smile pulling at his lips. “Elder,” he nodded, bowing respectfully before he turned to depart.

                She nodded in response and regarded the city once more. “Two hundred thirty years,” Boah whispered as she picked up the pendant and traced the edges with her slender fingertips. “What mischief has been managed in that time?” she mused, sighing heavily before she closed her eyes and focused on the sounds of the city in celebration.

 

                While the unchosen in the city cavorted and rejoiced in the collective charity of the city and its citizens, Daehyun and Sunyoung weathered the festivities under the oppressive knowledge of the oncoming night. After spending nearly a mark with Lore-Elder Jolin, who oversaw the sacred body painting ritual and accessory adornment over their ceremonial attire, the pair were allowed to return to their homes to prepare for the rest of the day. Per tradition, they spent the morning with their respective families, close and extended, sharing in the joy and honor and upcoming loss together. Neither were expected to talk much. Neither felt like talking much anyway.

                In the afternoon, their homes were opened to receive guests and gifts and those who wished to pay their respects to the ‘lucky’ families. Daehyun and Sunyoung were retrieved by Sense-Elder Boah to take them to a relatively safe vantage where they could catch their breath, free from the pressures of their family or the city.

                “You may rest in peace within the Council Sanctum,” she smiled graciously, gesturing for both to find a seat to sit upon. “Military-Elder Gunwoo shall oversee your security and I shall have City-Elder Seungho bring you refreshments,” she explained.

                “Oh, really…” Sunyoung waved uncertainly, clearly tired, hungry, and parched, but unsure of social protocol.

                “Thank you,” Daehyun simply nodded and slipped into the nearest seat with an audible sigh.

                Boah allowed a half-smile and gave a half-nod in response before she stepped out. Sunyoung seemed a bit lost about how to react. “Umm…” she trailed off, inching closer to a seat.

                “Relax,” he groaned with his head propped back and eyes closed.

                “Given the circumstances,” Sunyoung murmured with a weak laugh and a shrug.

                Daehyun picked his head up to peer at the young woman near him. “That’s exactly why you should relax,” he pointed out. “Especially because this is nice and it’s probably the last time we’ll experience anything like it.”

                Following his observation, Sunyoung peered at the cushioned seats stationed around the room with dark green lounging chairs and a clear pond in the middle. There were even fish inside, bright gold and silver in appearance. “It still feels like a dream I could wake up from,” she admitted, taking a careful seat at the edge of the pond. She trailed her fingers in the water, giggling when the fish came to try and nibble at them.

                “That makes two of us,” he agreed, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees.

                “Daehyun?” she whispered without looking back, the gentle curls of her hair framing her face in the rippling water.

                “Hmm?” he grunted in response.

                “Who are you leaving behind?” Sunyoung questioned, resting both palms of her hands on the edge as she waited for a response.

                Daehyun twisted his mouth and sighed, scratching at his face absently. “I don’t know,” he shrugged. “The usual? Parents. A younger brother. The rest of my family and friends.” He chewed his bottom lip, not sure what else to say. “You?”

                “Same,” she nodded, swallowing once. “Well, no younger brother. No siblings at all,” she admitted with a forced laugh, smiling weakly at him as she shrugged. “Eunyoung though. My best friend,” she explained, clasping her hands together in her lap. “She would get us into so much trouble. All the time. I don’t know who’s going to get her out of it anymore.” Quickly, she rubbed her hand under her eyes to catch any stray tears.

                “I’m… sure she’ll be fine,” Daehyun awkwardly tried to comfort her, standing up and shuffling over to the pond so he could sit beside her. “I’d be more worried about us, actually,” he snorted, throwing his hands up in the air.

                “Yeah,” Sunyoung laughed, a hair’s breadth from crying. “You’re probably right.” She swallowed hard and looked up, taking in his brown eyes, light, fluffy hair, black and white markings all over his open skin, and the reddish brown vest and pants made of finely cured leather. “You look like you could be going hunting soon,” she chuckled, nodding at his outfit.

                “You’re not much better,” he shot back, confirming the cut of her clothes was different but the style was the same: fitted shirt and pants with lighter shoes than his. “Looks like we’ve got all the same tokens too,” he added, plucking at the nearest one with a strange symbol etched on it. Maybe it was some kind of writing, but he couldn’t tell.

                “Daehyun. What kind of Sensitive are you? I haven’t seen you around much,” Sunyoung admitted, biting the inside of her lip.

                “Eh,” he shrugged. “One of those weird ones that just shows up from time to time. Parents are completely normal and my aunt and uncle are Surveyors.”

                “Oh! That’s exciting!”

                “It actually is. They bring home some really interesting things sometimes,” he grinned. “It’s a pity they wouldn’t let me keep my claw. It was amazing! Like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

                “That sounds kind of scary actually,” Sunyoung laughed with crinkling eyes. “My family is from a line of social Sensitives. Mostly the women, but my great grandfather on my mother’s side was apparently very sensitive,” she cringed.

                “Did he see things then?” Daehyun asked, brow furrowed.

                “Often. Apparently, he said the land was glowing. Drove him mad,” she explained sadly. “Poor soul.”

                “The land?”

                “Mm.”

                “How can the land glow?” he frowned, confused.

                “I don’t-”

                “There you are!” City-Elder Seungho beamed as he stepped inside bearing a tray laden with the fruits of the festival and a pitcher of something. He looked absolutely resplendent in his formal white shirt and brown vest with fitted leather pants and not an ebony hair out of place on his head. “Enjoy to your heart’s content!” he encouraged, setting the tray down on the nearest table. “Once you’re rested, feel free to rejoin your admirers outside. Just let Gunwoo know and he shall you back into the festivities.”

                “Oh, um, thank you,” Sunyoung her lips and nodded, waving at the City-Elder politely. She blinked in surprise to see Daehyun already heading for the tray though.

                “A healthy appetite is it? I like that. Eat up lad,” Seungho laughed, giving a flourishing bow. With far too much energy, he practically danced out of the Council Sanctum and back into the fray.

                “He’s enjoying this too much,” Daehyun mumbled around a mouthful of pastry.

                It took Sunyoung a moment to decipher his words, but she shrugged and stood up in turn. “At least someone’s happy about it.”

                Swallowing loudly, he cringed when the mouthful was a bit too large and pounded on his chest to clear it. “He could be at least a little sad in our presence,” he scowled, directing his glare at the offending food item before choosing something else.

                “I suppose,” she laughed once, aiming for a strawberry pastry before she noticed Daehyun watching her hand intently. A wry smile twisted and she plucked an apple one instead. “I like these better anyway,” she winked.

                “More for me then!” he cheered, going ahead and plucking the various strawberry items to his side.

                “You are terrible!” she laughed outright, covering in absurd delight. “It’s polite to at least pretend to share.”

                “Then I’m not being polite today,” he mumbled around another mouthful of strawberry pastry.

                “And honest,” Sunyoung continued to giggle. “It’s refreshing.”

                “I am what I am,” he preened, looking very absurd with flakes of buttery crust on his shirt and clinging to the side of his mouth.

                “I’m glad,” she agreed, picking at her fingers distractedly. “And I’m glad it was you that was chosen too, I guess,” Sunyoung admitted, glancing up and then blanching in uncertainty when his expression was stricken.

                “You’re glad I was chosen for this?!” he stared at her aghast.

                Horrified at the implication, she waved her hands in denial and shook her head. “Not that you were chosen. Not like that! I was just saying-”

                “By the Order, you’re easy to tease,” Daehyun laughed, his expression fading quickly into one of mirth. “I told you to relax, didn’t I?”

                “Oh… Oh! I thought you were serious!” she stomped, mildly annoyed.

                “That’s adorable,” he snorted.

                “You’re terrible!” she glared, her hands balling into fists. He just looked right back her, a bemused smile on his face. “Absolutely terrible,” she reiterated, her glare turning into a relieved laugh.

                “I know,” he shrugged, rolling his eyes. “But, you’re not so bad to be around yourself. A little on the serious side,” he pointed stoically, “but not bad. I’ve had far worse company.”

                “That’s reassuring,” she mumbled, flushing when he clapped once and laughed.

                “That’s the spirit! But seriously. I’ve had worse,” he promised with a deadpan expression.

                “I can’t tell if you’re joking,” she pointed at him in confusion.

                “Feh. Eat, Sunyoung. Drink. Relax. Enjoy your last day,” he tossed his hands up with a bittersweet smile. “No point in being sad.”

                Caught between being sad and not knowing how to respond, Sunyoung merely smiled and tilted her head to the side. “You are a strange man.”

                “We’re all strange to somebody,” he winked in response, tossing her one of the last strawberry pastries. “Don’t say I never gave you anything,” he pointed firmly. “And you damn well better enjoy it!”

                “Okay!” she semi-shouted back determinedly, taking an energetic bite of the pastry. Her composure broke immediately and she started giggling when he began laughing at her.

                “And you say I’m the strange one,” he snorted, clapping his hands again.

                Unable to muster a verbal response, Sunyoung simply flushed and hid her face behind her hand while she tried to stop laughing. But Daehyun kept making faces at her every time she looked up so that eating was nearly impossible. As such, he finished off a large part of the tray, but she was in much better spirits as a result. And when they were both finally composed and satisfied, they nodded at each other and stepped out into the throng of the merrymaking city.

                Marks passed where they were paraded around the streets, taking part in communal dances and judging short contests of acrobatic feats or strength. Through it all, they stayed side by side, though Sunyoung was both happy and sad to see Eunyoung trailing them at various parts of the city. When Daehyun noticed, he managed to drift them towards her, after Sunyoung pointed her out. Without trouble, she was pulled into their merrymaking too. As the day moved on, people cared little for a third person joining in, so long as everything ended how it was supposed to.

                Eventually, the trio found themselves at the main gate, being pulled free by Surve-Elder Yunho and Military-Elder Gunwoo. It wasn’t dark yet, but it would be soon, and the ride was not so short. “Come on then. It’s time,” Yunho nodded at the two, giving one meaningful look at Eunyoung.

                Immediately, Sunyoung rushed over to hug her best friend tight, holding back her tears as best she could. “You take care of yourself, alright?” she instructed, sniffing once.

                “You’re the one that needs looking after,” Eunyoung snorted back.

                “Liar.”

                “I know you are,” she laughed, pushing back so they could see each other face to face. She gave a bright smile to Sunyoung and then turned her attention to Daehyun. “You better take care of her!” she pointed stiffly in his face, glaring up at him with narrowed eyes.

                He laughed once and looked at Sunyoung. “I like her,” he gestured at Eunyoung. “And you have nothing worry about,” he promised with a wink as he met the other woman’s gaze.

                She continued to glare at him uncertainly but her expression immediately softened when Yunho spoke up again. “Daehyun. Sunyoung.”

                “Bye,” Sunyoung waved, heading for the horse Yunho was standing beside. Eunyoung waved back mutely, lips pursed tight and unshed tears visible on her lashes.

                “Coming,” Daehyun nodded, shuffling towards Gunwoo.

                Sunyoung watched over her shoulder as the four started moving. She kept looking back as Eunyoung faded into the distance. And even when she couldn’t see her anymore, she tried anyway. But then true night fell and there was no hope of seeing much of anything.

                They were quiet as they left the noise of the city behind. From experience, they knew it would keep going until well after midnight. Sometimes it went until dawn the next day as they celebrated the sacrifice they were making and the upcoming year of peace. But it would be a lonely, quiet night for them. All of them.

                Daehyun surveyed the surrounding area in silence, remembering things his aunt and uncle had told him about Old Lyndfell. Sunyoung relived the journey from a month ago, when she had come with Eunyoung to investigate the Citadel in the remains of the city. Neither were inclined to talk. None of them were expected to. Of course they had a million questions, but no one had the answers. Shared silence was better than voiced uncertainty.

                At last though, even the silence couldn’t be sustained as they reached the city and then the outside of the Citadel itself. The clouds that had threatened all day had long since dispersed, leaving them in bright moonlight. The opening was visible for hundreds of lengths away as the moonlight pierced the inner sanctum. And just like before, the energy felt tense and hungry. It was hard to get off the horses – the feeling of things crawling over their skin was so very strong. But that was part of why Gunwoo and Yunho were there. To make sure they didn’t run. To make sure they did what they were supposed to do. They knew it, just as much as the Elders did.

                “Order’s Mercy, this is uncomfortable,” Daehyun admitted, scratching at his arm nervously, muscles tensing of their own accord.

                “Whenever you’re ready,” Gunwoo urged, gesturing towards the beam of light inside.

                “That’ll be never,” Daehyun forced back with a breathy laugh.

                Sunyoung moved close and slipped her hand around his arm to hug it gently. “For the people of New Lyndfell,” she shuddered, goose pimples rising all over her skin.

                “Yeah,” he muttered, shifting his hand to grab Sunyoung’s, threading their fingers together. “They better appreciate this,” he scowled, earning a weak laugh from his companion.

                Stiffly, the pair stepped forward, seeing the myriad of glittering, dancing lights floating in the air above the circle and on the circle itself. They were brighter than last time. Much brighter. And there were so many more. In fact, there were so many at that one spot that it looked as if they formed a narrow wall. Only it wasn’t a wall at all.

                “Daehyun… Do you see what I see?” Sunyoung murmured, gripping tighter to his hand.

                “If you see another place with lots of lightning and dark rocks and moving things on the other side that could be people and then again maybe not, then yes. Yes I see we’re both crazy,” he nodded without looking away.

                “Good. As long as I’m not the only one,” she admitted breathily, swallowing once.

                “Well. Ready?” he asked. “Of course we’re not. I already answered that. But ready anyway?” he mumbled nervously.

                “No.”

                “Okay. Good,” Daehyun nodded, squeezing her hand once.

                Together, they took a deep breath. “Let’s go.”

                As one, Daehyun and Sunyoung stepped into the wall of glittering lights and… vanished.

                “It is done,” Yunho sighed with his arms crossed over his chest.

                “Until it happens in five years again,” Gunwoo reminded him flatly.

                With a glance around, Yunho shook his head. His mouth twisted into a partial grimace as he moved closer to where the seal was and knelt on the ground. “I don’t know, Woo. Something tells me there might be a change coming,” he hissed quietly.

                “How do you know?” Gunwoo asked, stepping closer.

                “This.”

                The Martial-Elder looked down at the scrap of burnt paper that was in Yunho’s hand.

                It read: War is coming.

                He ran his hand through his hair again and laughed in frustrated disbelief. “Well. Guess we better tell the Council.”

                “Indeed,” Yunho frowned, staring at the paper and then looking over the area again before he pocketed the scrap and joined Gunwoo with the horses.

                The question was: Whose war?

                Their side?

                That side?

                Or both?

 

A/N: This is the end of this arc for now, seeing that I've hit chapter 3 (per the mini-contest instructions and the time limit) and this is a considerably longer story, but I do plan on continuing this in a larger story. Either for the main contest entry or as a story on its own. I'm liking the idea of this world and would enjoy doing more with it. Now that I'm finally actually writing again, it might actually be possible too! Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great day!