Prologue

One of These Spring Nights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With the arrival of the weekend, Joohyun couldn’t help but feel more excited than the usual. It wasn’t always that Byeol, her extremely busy and successful daughter, could step by for a visit. She was an important lawyer in Seoul and her days were filled from morning to night, in a very strict and harsh schedule.

She got a call from Byeol on Monday and the woman informed that she would take the end of the week to travel to Jeju Island, with her three kids, and stay with her beloved mother until Sunday afternoon. Joohyun was happy with the news and she cleaned her big house more than she needed to, preparing it for her family’s arrival.

Sitting at a white rocking chair that decorated her porch, she smiled brightly at the view of a red car parking on the street. Her grandchildren exited the vehicle with no hesitation, running towards their grandmother; they hadn’t seen her since Christmas, and it was already September.

“My babies!” Joohyun exclaimed, standing up and opening her arms widely as Chaeha, Dahyeon and Bogum entered in her embrace.

She felt warm at the presence of them. She didn’t have a lot of company since her husband’s death and, even though she was sort of a loner, she missed her relatives more than anything.

“You should open gaps in your agenda for your mother, Park Byeol” the youngest laughed, hugging her mother tenderly.

One of the things she regretted the most was not spending enough time with her father before he died and she knew the same would happen to her mother. But there wasn’t a lot she could do. She carried her family in her back, since she ended up marrying a vagabond. She had to be a part-time normal lawyer and a full-time supermom. If it depended on Cheol, her husband, they would all starve.

“I am sorry, mom” she patted Joohyun’s back softly “I promise to do my best and show up more, okay?” the elderly smiled, nodding lightly with her head.

They got inside the house, Bogum showing his muscles as he pulled all of their luggage along with him. Joohyun laughed, spoiling the boy with cookies she had especially made for them. If there was something Bae Joohyun was most praised for, it was definitely her amazing skills as a cook.

“You must be exhausted” she said, putting the dirty plates on the sink.

The children were playing video games in the living room while Byeol was left alone with her mother, in the kitchen.

She sighed heavily, nodding her head tiredly.

“Things have been really complicated, mom” she confessed, Joohyun taking a seat on the opposite side of hers in the table “Cheol was fired” her eyes grew in surprise at that information “I wasn’t surprised when he told me. He has always been a terrible employee and it was just a matter of time until they had enough of him in his company” Joohyun touched her hand gently.

“How are you holding up?” before being Byeol’s mother, she was her best friend, and the daughter would never thank her enough for shaping their relationship into the wonder it was now.

Whenever she had a problem, she knew she could run into her mother’s arm, like a little girl, because Joohyun would take care of her, just like she used to do when she was younger.

Byeol struggled.

“I am doing the best that I can. I just hope it is enough” another sigh escaped through her teeth.

“I am sure it is, sweetie” she smiled, listening to Joohyun “I am always here for you, you know that, right?” Byeol nodded “This house is too big for me and myself” she laughed, the youngest doing the same.

She analyzed her mother’s features for a moment. Even if Joohyun was an aged woman, she still managed to look beautiful, better than most people are once they reach their seventies.

“Why don’t you come to Seoul, with me?” she asked, Joohyun staring at her confusedly.

“Why would I do such a thing? Exchange my b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter