Chapter Two

Past Mistakes

Hyunwoo and Hoseok return some time later to the dorm, sweat pouring off them. Hyunwoo tells the younger goodnight as he hurries to get to the bathroom first, in no way interested in waiting the hour Hoseok is sure to take in the shower just so he can go to sleep clean. Hoseok hums in acknowledgment, and goes to set his things by the couch. In the dark, he almost misses Changkyun’s sleeping form sprawled out on the sectional. 

Hoseok chuckles affectionately at the maknae, the boy bringing a genuine smile to the older’s lips for the first time in a while. The rapper pouts in his sleep, and stirs slightly. His eyes slowly open and squint into the dark. 

“Hyung,” Changkyun says, his voice light and airy, “welcome home.” Hoseok chuckles again, and sits down next to his dongsaeng. 

“You didn’t have to wait up for us, Kkungie,” Hoseok tells him softly, careful not to speak too loudly in the quiet dorm. “I told you all that when we left…”

“I wanted to,” Changkyun tells him, sitting up as he rubs at his eyes. Hoseok hums, and reaches over to ruffle the maknae’s hair. 

“I appreciate it,” he says, “but you should go to bed. You need your rest.” Changkyun hums, as if in thought, and Hoseok can just barely make out the younger chewing on his bottom lip. 

“Would you mind if I slept in your bed with you, hyung?” he asks, obviously trying to act as cute as possible to get his way. “Jooheon-hyung said I could share Hyungwon-hyung’s bunk with him, but I wouldn’t be able to sleep at all so close to all that snoring.”

“I don’t mind,” Hoseok answers easily, willing to do anything for his maknae, “but why aren’t you both sleeping in your room?”

“Um,” Changkyun mumbles, his lips as he glances around the room anxiously, “Minhyuk-hyung said something to Kihyun-hyung about… everything… and we figured we’d give him and Hyungwon-hyung some space to talk.” Hoseok remains silent, eyes falling to the floor. He should’ve realized that’d have something to do with it. Funny, he had almost forgotten his heartbreak for a minute there. 

“Okay,” the older says at last, his voice much more subdued than before. The sound of the bathroom door opening creaks throughout the dorm, signifying their leader being finished with his shower, and Hoseok stands. “I’ll just go take a shower, and then I’ll be in there.” Changkyun nods, pausing only to give his hyung an affectionate smile and standing to go to the bed. Hoseok stands as well. He heaves a heavy sigh as he goes into the steam-filled bathroom, an unbidden tear eeking out of his eye as he passes by Kihyun’s room. 


Changkyun finds it incredibly hard to fall asleep for the next hour and a half. He tosses and turns in Hoseok’s bed, tangling himself up in the covers. Jooheon’s and Hyunwoo’s snores echo in the otherwise silent room, followed by Minhyuk’s nonsensical mumbling every so often. 

The maknae groans in aggravation, flopping on his side to face the wall once more. He pouts into the dark, crossing his arms across his chest in utter annoyance. He resigns himself to not getting any sleep tonight just for being nice and waiting up for his hyung, which honestly seems like an awful trade. He’ll just have to sleep in the practice room tomorrow while the others work on the choreo, and then stay late to catch up on the work. 

Finally, Hoseok enters the room and snuggles up next to Changkyun. The rapper immediately turns and hugs his hyung close, resting his head atop the older’s chest. Hoseok chuckles, and Changkyun frowns fully as he notes the thickness in his voice. He’d been crying again. 

“I’m surprised you’re not asleep yet,” he murmurs in a voice barely able to be heard over the sounds of sleep surrounding them. Changkyun merely hums in acknowledgment, his drowsiness from the day finally hitting him full force. Hoseok laughs again, the sound echoing deep in his chest. He runs his fingers through the maknae’s hair absentmindedly, and Changkyun finally manages to fall asleep a few minutes later. 

Hoseok isn’t too far behind him, the sound of the younger’s light breathing proving to be the perfect lullaby.  


Kihyun awakens early the next morning, as he always does. He hums as he snuggles closer to the source of heat beside him, wanting nothing more than to stay asleep. 

However, he knows it’s much too late for that. 

His fingers glide across something soft, a cloth different from his bedsheets. He hums again as he cracks open his eyes. A smile comes easily to him at seeing Hyungwon’s blank, peaceful face next to his own on the pillow. He moves a bit closer, pressing a gentle kiss against Hyungwon’s full lips. 

Hyungwon mumbles something as Kihyun breaks away. The older only chuckles, shaking his head at his dongsaeng. He’s one of the heaviest sleepers of the group by far, always having been the last one Kihyun had been able to awaken since their debut. At least he’s  bit closer now, so that Kihyun can begin waking up the younger sooner than before. 

“Wonnie~” Kihyun calls softly, shaking Hyungwon by his shoulder. “Come on, yaja, it’s time to wake up.” Hyungwon mumbles once again, and Kihyun can only sigh. He finally moves to get out of bed, deciding to come back a little later to work more on getting the lanky boy up. 

Kihyun hums as he gets dressed and leaves the room to begin waking up the others. He’s surprised at finding Jooheon and Changkyun aren’t in the room he typically shares with them, but he figured they just shared Hyungwon’s bunk. Not that they really needed to. All he and the younger did the night before was cuddle, after all. 

After Minhyuk’s outburst, he didn’t feel up for much of anything else. 

However, he is surprised for a second time this morning at finding the maknae and Hoseok cuddled up in the older’s bed. The sight gives him pause, his heart stumbling over a beat in his chest. It isn’t any sort of betrayal or anything like that he feels at seeing this, he’s sure. In fact, one day he had hoped that these two would… 

Well, obviously it’s just taken less time than he’d expected it to. Which is great for Hoseok. Really. 

Kihyun purses his lips as he refocuses on his task. He continues on his way into the room, and reaches over Hoseok to Changkyun. He’d always been the easiest to wake up out of all of them. 

The maknae stirs in under an instant, sitting up from his spot on Hoseok’s chest, where Kihyun used to lay. Changkyun glances around confusedly for a moment, but soon his eyes land on Kihyun. They glance down at Hoseok, and then back to Kihyun. 

The rapper seems to come to his senses, his eyes widening as he scrambles to separate himself from Hoseok. 

“G-Good morning, hyung,” he says, his lips nervously. Kihyun chuckles, finding the younger’s anxious actions incredibly cute, and hums in acknowledgment before turning to work on the others. He’s vaguely aware of Hoseok mumbling something about needing more sleep, but he doesn’t bother to turn around. 

He trusts the maknae will be able to get Hoseok up well enough without his help.