Of Internal Monologues and Presumptions

I Like Me Better

"Let's play Hide and Seek...of feelings."


 

Define what is giddy feeling?

 

It’s when you feel something weird churning yet good inside your stomach and you can’t keep yourself from wriggling like a salted earthworm - the exact current state of Joohyun.

 

OH MY GAHD!!!

 

‘Because I prefer spending more time with you.’ Joohyun can still recall Seulgi’s exact words during the afternoon, it was almost midnight but she cannot fall asleep as she keeps thinking of the bear-like girl’s real reason for declining a long-weekend escapade in Thailand with their other friends. Add the fact that Seulgi chose to be with her turning down the chance that she might get to see her high school best friend turned celebrity, Pattie.

 

Seriously, she haven’t seen the Thai princess that her other friends kept talking about but there was this certain pressure that kept piling up inside her. She couldn’t help herself not to think how Seulgi was like during high school. Why Jisoo seems to be so competitive of Seulgi’s attention and so adhesive towards the bear-like girl. And most importantly her level of closeness with Pattie, if Seulgi was also acting the way she is right now to her to the Thai princess before.

 

What if that Thai celebrity best friend of her will visit her in Korea? Will she still be treated special?

 

A little-too-advance to think of these kinds of possibilities since they are just getting closer with each other and not really close to each other yet.

 

Competitive much?

 

Or jealous much?

 

Whatever!

 

She couldn’t sleep. What was purely running inside her mind that night was that: ‘Because I prefer spending more time with you’ phrase.

 

Seulgi, what’s wrong with you? Or should I say what’s wrong with me? Why do I keep thinking about you now? She mentally scolds herself as she buries her face in her pillow.

 

 

 

-----

 

 

Tuesday came, and both Joohyun and Seulgi were having their lunch together in a Thai restaurant in SNU’s carpark complex. The bear-like girl was teaching Joohyun to eat other Asian food, they made a deal that the Daegu-belle must learn how to eat a different kind of cuisine at least once every week, Seulgi’s treat of course.

 

“Hyun, this sour and spicy soup is called Tom Yum and this papaya with red chili pepper sprinkles is called Som Tam (papaya salad).” Seulgi orients the older belle as they start to dig in.

 

“Let’s split the bill, huh?” Joohyun blurts out as she started digging in the Tom Yum, she knows that Seulgi’s that well-off but she didn’t befriend the latter to be her ATM whenever she’s in need financially.

 

“You know Hyun, just eat! Don’t think about the bill just yet.” Seulgi wanted the latter to take it easy and that she can handle everything for the both of them.

 

“But I can’t let you always pay for me. It’s not good Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi spoons a piece of scallop and shrimp from the Tom Yum soup and fed Joohyun. “I know you’re good with Math Hyun, but please don’t count everything I do for you, hmm? Whatever I have, I’m glad that I am able to share it with you.”

 

The Daegu wall-flower instantly blushed at the latter’s gesture. Seulgi’s a bit brusque towards their other friends especially to Jisoo but apparently the human bear’s treatment towards her was kind of different.

 

Different in a good way, of course!

 

Different in a way that she feels a tinge of hope that the latter may be looking at her as someone who is special.

 

Again, whatever it may be. What matters is that her heart is fluttering happily.

 

 

 

 

“Hey you bear! You better treat me Tom Yum too…you will thank me to the favor I have done for you!” Jisoo began in a rather demanding tone as she, Jennie, Lisa and Chaeyoung arrives inside the Thai restaurant while Seulgi and Joohyun were in the midst of eating their lunch.

 

“What again Chichoo?” Seulgi childishly pries the four-dimensional girl. They may be harsh with each other. Hence, its pure tough love between them.

“How’s Bangkok guys?” Joohyun asks the four younger girls who just arrived.

 

“You should have really joined us Hyun-unnie! Told you, I’m really willing to lend you money!” Jennie responds. “We went to lots of place, shop at Paragon, did snorkeling, and surfing…oh and yes, we’ve met with a celeb –“Jisoo and Lisa suddenly covered .

 

“What is it again Jennie-ah?” Seulgi asks.

 

“Let the bear wonder Jennie-ah!” Jisoo retorts.

 

“We know you’ve been there several times but you’d really regret not coming with us Gom!” Lisa teased.

 

“Is there anything big that happened that Seulgi will regret missing?” Joohyun queries this time.

 

“Hmm…let’s put it that way Hyun-unnie. But Seulgi really have to buy me lunch because I did something tremendous to compensate the chance she almost lost!” Jisoo demands, as she keeps leaving ambiguous statements that teases Seulgi even more and make Joohyun even more curious.

 

“Fine, I’d buy you lunch!” Seulgi surrendered. “…But will you please tell me what favor you did exactly for me because I can’t remember asking anything from you Kim!” She riposted in a rather scornful manner.

 

“Chill, but I’m sure you will thank me until your next life once that favor arrives in front of you. But my lunch first!” The four-dimensional belle opened her palm in front of the human bear asking for money.

 

“Okay beggar!” Seulgi handed the former her coin purse.

 

“My gahd, what’s this?” Jisoo exclaims, quickly giving back the coin purse that Seulgi handed her.

 

“Heol Kim, Heol!” She knows that the four-dimensional belle often plays disgusted whenever handling coin purses. Because coin purses are for beggars, and she thinks that she is a queen. Queen Jisoo, the queen of water bottle balancing.

 

She then handed the former her cash case.

 

“Eh?” Joohyun’s eyes widened. As far as she knows, Seulgi has a separate wallet for her ATM and Debit cards, but it never came into her mind that the latter’s bills and coins were also separated in different cases. This girl really, why do I feel like you even have more cash than my parents?

 

 

“Kamsahamnida, Gom!” Jisoo playfully hugs the bear-like girl from behind.

 

“Tch, get off me beggar!” Seulgi jestingly irks.

 

“Saranghae Pabo!” the four-dimensional belle throws finger-hearts to the former as she lines up in front of the counter.

 

“Eww!” Seulgi rejects the latter’s finger hearts as she hid her face from Joohyun’s shoulder.

 

 

 

 

All six of them were in the midst of eating lunch as both Seulgi and Joohyun listens to Jisoo, Chayeoung, Jennie and Lisa’s stories about their Thailand escapade when Seulgi suddenly receives a call from an unseen number.

 

“Eh? Hmm, why is this?” Seulgi hesitates to answer at first.

 

“It must be your parents Seulgi.” Joohyun presumes that the bear-like girl’s parents must be calling her from abroad.

 

“But mom’s here and dad is just in Busan.” Seulgi reasons out as she answers the call. “Hello?”

 

“Seulbear -” a girl spoke on the other line. Her tone was rather eccentric, she sounded as if coming from another country. Definitely, not Korean. But nevertheless, the voice was too familiar for Seulgi’s liking. And there’s only one person who is calling her that way.

 

She’s happy hanging out with Joohyun, but her smile instantly turned into a silly grin as the girl on the other line spoke again. “Seulbear, you’ve grown up a lot.”

 

How did you know? Where are you?

 

 

The bear-like girl literally jumps out of her seat and went beside Jisoo and began thanking her. “Kim Jisoo-ah! Is this the favor you’ve been telling me? Kamsahaeyo chingu!”

 

“Wow, now we’re friends!” Jisoo retorts as she deadpans to Seulgi.

 

“H-Hello?” Seulgi giddily answers the girl on the other line. “P-Pattie-ah?” She bit her lower lip to contain the excitement building up inside her. She can’t stay still in one place as she kept going back and forth in between Jisoo and Joohyun. Take note, she have only uttered two words which is “Hello” and the name of the girl on the other line.

 

Not only Joohyun but also their other friends but Jisoo got baffled by Seulgi’s overly ecstatic reaction. Joohyun have seen Seulgi grin like an idiot, but now she is CONSTANTLY grinning like a retard. And she’s just currently hearing Pattie’s voice on the other line. What more if her Thai best friend turned celebrity becomes physically present?

 

“Is that Pattie? The Thai actress you’ve been talking about?” Joohyun asks Jisoo.

 

The four-dimensional belle nods.

 

Now Joohyun actually witnessed how Seulgi literally jumps out from her seat and can’t keep her cool by merely hearing Pattie’s voice.

 

She feels threatened.

 

Kang Seulgi -yah! You, I hate you! I thought you’re only like that to me! She mentally complains.

 

You two-ti -. She stopped herself from making internal monologues. Why does she feels like she’s being cheated by Seulgi in some way?

 

 

 

 

“Seulbear, look straight ahead.” the girl on the other line instructs Seulgi to avert her attention to the view outside of the Thai restaurant.

 

Looking at the opposite side of the glass window, the bear-like girl have seen a familiar girl brightly smiling at her with tall stature and beautifully slender physique. Her skin is pale white yet her cheeks are blushing pink, and her current bob cut hair makes her look more youthful than her real age and of course more beautiful. She’s also wearing a white long floral flowing dress and a brown knitted cardigan which makes her look perfect.

 

“How’s my dear Seulbear doing?” The Thai girl from the other line asks Seulgi once again. Now they’re facing each other although there’s a glass wall in between them.

 

“P-p-p-pattie-ah…” Seulgi stutters before gape as she lags for a few second still in disbelief that her high school best friend whom she misses a lot is now standing in front of her.

 

Joohyun and all the other girls then looked at the direction where Seulgi’s looking at.

 

Oh my good lord. Just what grave sin did I commit in my past life? Was I a traitor in my nation? Have I killed lots of people? Don’t tell me my rival is literally a Thai princess? Where the heck is justice? Why did you make me into a countryside girl? How can I compete with her?

 

Joohyun’s heart instantly sunk seeing Pattie in flesh. She never thought that her friends were really talking seriously all along. Because seriously? A Thai friend...okay check! Believable, because there’s Lisa. But also a celebrity? Who is kidding with who?

 

Seulgi rushed outside the restaurant to meet the Thai belle.

 

“So you’re not lying when you said that Seulgi and Ms. Pattie are best friends? I thought you are just kidding and you’re just asking for her autograph for Seulgi when we met her in Thailand.” Jennie was still surprised by the sudden flow of events, and so as Chaeyoung.

 

“Because the only Thai word you guys know is ‘Sawadika’...it’s only Lisa who believed me all along!” Jisoo retorts teasing.

“Anyway, yes...she’s our Pattie-unnie.” Jisoo confirms. “But Gom got no manners, she never addressed her unnie.”

 

 

 

But Seulgi DON’T address me as Unnie too. Wait! What? She never? As in NEVER addressed Pattie as older sister? Joohyun mentally complained about Jisoo’s statement.

 

 

Joohyun: 0 - Pattie: 1, without even doing anything.

 

 

 

The scenario in front of them was like a scene in a movie, friends/lovers who reunited after a long while of separation. Meeting in the center of the movie screen, a cringe-worthy oh so cheesy slow motion running of two people who are about to hug each other.

 

“W-Wait, a-a-are they going to hug?”Joohyun subconsciously asked Jisoo. Oh shoot! Why do I even care?

 

“Hyun-unnie? Why are you affected?” The four-dimensional girl noticed.

 

“Of course NOT!” the wall-flower defensively responds.

 

 

 

 

“Pattie-ah!” Seulgi briefly stops few steps away from her high school best friend to take a good look at her. Her best friend really looked more beautiful than ever and apparently she is on another level.

 

“Miss me Seulbear?” Pattie asks, smiling at the former.

 

“Of course!” Seulgi grins widely. Her eyes already disappearing in thin line.

 

Then Pattie instructs the former to come a little closer to her.

 

 

 

 

Are they going to hug? Oh please, not in front of me! I’m really going to start a revolution here! Joohyun mentally protests.

 

When Seulgi took a step nearer to her Thai best friend, the former automatically flicked her forehead. “Tch, I thought you’ve really gotten taller, I guess I’m wrong! Either you just lost some baby fats or you’ve grown up BUT NOT TOO MUCH!?!?”

 

“Err, maybe the second one Pattie-ah!” Seulgi admits laughing as she flicks the former’s forehead in return. “You are really, really pretty now Pattie-ah.”

 

 

“Eh? What’s that?” Chaeyoung asked about the weird greeting that Seulgi and Pattie has done.

 

“Where’s the hug?” Lisa and Jennie expectantly asked in unison.

 

It’s seems that Joohyun just prayed enough. Kidding! Flicking each others’ foreheads is Seulgi and Pattie’s unique way of endearment with each other. Talking about tough love? These two also got too much of that for each other.

 

“Hug? You think Seulgi’s game for that?” Jisoo retorts to her friends. “Those two have different kind of touchiness with each other...you see Pattie really pretty right? But she’s also boy concealed in a pretty face just like Gom!”

 

“Seriously? With THAT pretty face?” Joohyun asks in disbelief.

 

“Oh yeah ~” Jisoo hummed nodding.

 

Joohyun must be over-thinking too much. But who wouldn’t when Pattie’s got that kind of face? And Seulgi became instantly whipped the moment she arrived.

 

Perhaps she’s over-thinking.

 

Maybe it’s plain jealousy.

 

Again, whatever! It’s already a struggle to get to know Seulgi in each passing day. Their hobbies and interests don’t seem to meet. And if Seulgi’s not fond of pulling her everywhere there will be no development that will happen in between them. Maybe she’s just jealous of that fact that the person whom Seulgi have instantly clicked with was in front of her right now. And take note, she’s beautiful.

 

Well, she’s also beautiful. Seulgi told her that once. BUT AGAIN! Pattie is a Thai celebrity and there she is, a mere college student whose main problems are how to survive her every day with her limited allowance and how to survive a day without wearing her thick round specs because of her poor vision. In short, their social statuses made the big difference. And uh yes, because her beautiful face seemed cursed to be hidden behind her eyeglasses.

 

 

“Uh guys! This is Pattie, my best friend!” Seulgi ecstatically introduces the Thai actress to her other friends as soon as she went back inside the Thai restaurant, of course with Pattie, to join her friends again.

 

People kept turning their heads just to see the Thai actress that made their clique felt a little awkward towards the other people who are around them in the vicinity.

 

“Hello!” the Thai belle greeted them first.

 

Gosh, even if her accent sounds weirder my Satoori why does it make her look more beautiful? Or should I accept that she’s even more beautiful up close?

 

“Welcome to South Korea, Pattie-unnie!” Jisoo casually high-fives the Thai princess.

 

“Hello!”

 

“Hello!”

 

"Hello!”

 

“H-H-hello!” Joohyun buckles, as she was the last one to greet the Thai belle back.

 

“Oh, Seulbear!” Pattie mouthed as she began whispering something to Seulgi. “Pretty.”

 

Seulgi chuckles at what her best friend just whispered to her. Indeed, Pattie is also a boy hiding in a pretty face. “What now? Are you still a choding Pattie-ah?” She asks elbowing the latter.

 

Pattie then wraps an arm around Seulgi’s shoulders and whispers to her ear once again. “You’re close with her right? I’ve been observing you guys for a few minutes already before I called you. Tch, Seulbear!”

 

The former protested jerking the Thai belle’s arm off her as she flicks her forehead once again. “What are you trying to say again?” she blushed.

 

Pattie shrugs her shoulders laughing, she side-glances at Joohyun teasing the human bear.

 

Joohyun raised an eyebrow completely perplexed by the meaning of the Thai belle’s side glance at her. Of course, all the whispering and the skin-ship of the two made her blood boil.

 

What on earth? You don’t like me? I also don’t like you! The wall-flower mentally retorts as she stares at Seulgi being all endearing with Pattie containing all the feels she’s got inside her.

 

“I’m saying, that your friend right there is really pretty. And it seems to me that she’s too fond of you.” The Thai belle whispered once again to Seulgi. And the bear’s already blushing face becomes even redder.

 

The Thai belle laughs at the former’s now strawberry face. Then she flicked Seulgi’s forehead once again. “Pabo!”

 

Flicking of forehead is their kind of endearment right? I’ve been counting the times she flicked Seulgi’s forehead just now. So Pattie, you like Seulgi that much? And this bear seems to like it VERY MUCH! How dare you? So I’ll become just one of you many friends because Princess Pattie is back in your life? Joohyun began her internal monologue once again, and it seems another level weirder than her previous monologues before. She’s disheartened, all has just began in between her and Seulgi and because Pattie returned to the human bear’s life it seems that their getting close with each other has to stop.

 

 

If only she knew that there’s nothing really to be jealous about the flicking of forehead. That it might be the cause of Seulgi being so dense, she might take back every words she thought in her internal monologue.

 

 

-----

 

 

And Wednesday came, Seulgi was still on cloud nine knowing that her Thai best friend will be spending the entire week in South Korea, they have been exchanging messages that her former useless phone have become somewhat useful and important to her now.

 

 

 

Pretty Pattie:

 

Seulbear, Jisoo said your lunch today is three hours long. Want me to come???

 

SeulGom:

 

SURE

 

Pretty Pattie:

 

Seems that you don’t want me (sad face) huhu!!!

 

SeulGom:

 

I SAID SURE WHY

 

 

 

 

Then Seulgi faced Joohyun and Jisoo who are also ogling with her exchange of messages with Pattie. “Jisoo-ah, it seems that Pattie can’t understand Hangul anymore. I said she could come but she still didn’t get what I mean.”

 

The four-dimensional belle then grabbed the human bear’s phone from the table and began scanning their exchange of messages. “If you’re really not a retard, how come your texting style looks more old-fashioned than my parents?” She lets Joohyun see the way Seulgi’s messaging style.

 

The older belle was not sure whether to get jealous again for seeing Pattie’s saved name is Pretty Pattie or she will just laugh at Seulgi’s robotic kind of text messaging.

 

“SURE, K, BYE…if I’m Pattie-unnie I’d think you are resenting me!” Both Jisoo and Joohyun made fun of the human bear.

 

“If she will not come here, you are just to blame no one but yourself.” Joohyun seconded.

 

Still, Seulgi cannot get the exact reason why people has to put those periods, commas, smileys and all sorts of emoticons when making a text message. Mobile phones are made for convenience anyway. And to her, it’s kind of arduous and time-consuming if she will put those nonsense when sending messages.

 

 

Finally, Seulgi’s most awaited lunch time came. As soon as the clock ticks twelve she shamelessly dashed outside the classroom to meet Pattie at the entrance of the Aquinas building.

 

“I really miss you Pat!” Seulgi literally jumps and hugs her Thai best friend as soon as she sees her standing at the entrance of the building. Like her, Pattie also dislikes gay-ish kinds of skin-ships. Seulgi’s messing around with her.

 

Joohyun and their other friends were following the human bear behind. And saw the ‘romantic’ scene between Seulgi and Pattie.

 

“You said they’re not into hugs?” Joohyun suddenly asked Jisoo, her tone was apparently ‘low-life’ and that she seems blaming the four-dimensional belle for deceiving her.

 

“IS IT MY FAULT THAT THEY’RE HUGGING IN FRONT OF US NOW? WHERE’S JUSTICE?” Jisoo retorts, also feeling a tinge of jealousy towards Pattie.

 

 

 

 

“Disgusting!” Pattie pushed Seulgi off of her as she flicks her head.

 

“Don’t you miss me too?” the bear-like girl retorts trying hard to make the latter fall for her puppy eyes.

 

“But I’m not…Joohyun!” Pattie reasoned out whispering the Daegu-belle’s name teasing Seulgi which made her earn a flick on the forehead.

 

 

 

 

So it’s really essential to act lovey-dovey in front of me???Joohyun began her mental protest once again.

 

Pattie suddenly waves at them, but her attention was obviously on Joohyun. “Hi guys!”

 

Is she trying to pick on Me? Joohyun scrunches her eyebrows, good thing she was wearing her crazy huge thick specs that no one will ever notice that she’s glaring at Pattie.

 

 

Bring it on, Bish! She challenges Pattie in her mind.

 

 

-----

 

 

Since it’s not too sunny and it’s not raining either...therefore the weather is perfect! Err…Scratch that! All of them decided to have a picnic style lunch somewhere near the football field of SNU. All of them except Joohyun and Pattie decided to buy either fish and chips or chicken and fries for their lunch.

 

Pattie didn’t buy anything since she needs to diet for her photo-shoot once she comes back to Thailand the following week. While Joohyun packed lunch for herself. Her usual fruits, tuna and pumpkin combo which Seulgi, Lisa Chaeyoung, Jisoo and Jennie presumes as her ‘natural healing’ method for her poor vision. Dense as it may seem of her rich kids friends for not realizing that she’s on a tight budget.

 

“Uhm, Hyun…” Seulgi approached her for the first time during the entire lunch.

 

“Yes Seulgi?” Joohyun instantly smiles because FINALLY Seulgi noticed her.

 

She was about to offer a slice of Papaya to the human bear when Seulgi began, “Uh you see, Pattie is on a diet...so she can’t eat what we’re eating. Will you mind sharing your lunch with her? Please Hyun?” She even begged. “Don’t worry, I’ll either pay or buy you a meal later.”

 

Shameless bear! I thought you realized that you feel so empty without me! And now you want me to share my lunch with your ‘Pretty Pattie’? Oh my gosh, I hate drugs! “U-oh s-sure!” The belle shyly handed the slice of Papaya to Pattie instead.

 

“Thanks Pretty Hyun!” the Thai belle gladly accepts and literally devoured the slice of Papaya in one go.

 

Joohyun’s eyes widened. She sees no difference between Pattie and Jisoo.

 

“Yer knorw whart? Irf I dornt harve ar phortorahoort next weerk Ir’d be earting like therm!” (You know what? If I don't have a photo-shoot next week I’d be eating like them) Pattie uttered while still masticating the fruit inside . Then she swallows it, “How about let’s play a game?”

 

“Hmm?” Joohyun hums as she eats a spoonful of tuna.

 

“What game Ms. Pattie?” Chaeyoung asked, oblivious that Lisa and Jisoo were stealing her fish strips. And when she looked at her disposable food container again, gone are the fish strips she’s been saving for last. “I thought they’re already fried? Did they swim back to the ocean?”

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors of course!” The Thai belle ecstatically riposted. She knows that Seulgi’s really good at it and she just wanted to confirm something with this game. “...simple, the loser will be flicked on the forehead by the winner.”

 

So they began the tournament of the highly recommended, epic, intense, most athletic game of Rock, Paper, Scissors and Seulgi effortlessly defeated Jisoo, Jennie and Pattie in one go and so is Joohyun with Lisa and Chaeyoung.

 

And like fate was really on Pattie’s side, she didn’t have to make ‘greasy moves’ to confirm that something she was so itchy to find out because her two subjects are really intended for the final skirmish.

 

She smirks as she went behind Joohyun who was already facing her final opponent. Who else but the dense bear Kang Seulgi.

 

“Seulbear, susu! (Fighting in Thai)” She cheered for her best friend. As Lisa signals them to start the bout.

 

“Best of five, first one to get three wins and will flick the forehead of the loser.” their youngest began. “Ready?”

 

Both Seulgi and Joohyun balled their right fist and their battle mode.

 

“I won’t go easy on you Hyun.” Seulgi forewarned the older belle. “No close friends in this game.” She’s really on beast mode. It’s her pride on the line.

 

“We’ll see Seulgi.” Joohyun responds, as Pattie began tying her hair high.

 

“GO!” Lisa signaled.

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!” Seulgi gets the first point, as she noticed Joohyun’s milky white neck that was always hidden when her hair is down. It’s her pride, got to stay focused!

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!” And again, Seulgi gets the second point. This time, Pattie finishes tying Joohyun’s hair. Despite of her crazy thick round specs blocking her beautiful face she can’t help not to feel distracted. But then again, she must focus since it’s her pride that is on the line.

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, SCISSORS!” Unfortunately for Seulgi, Joohyun gets the point this time.

 

 

Pattie then removes the Daegu-girll’s huge glasses that was blocking her beautiful face all along. Let’s see if you’ll still be alive after this Seulbear!HIHI!!!

 

 

Seulgi gulps at the beautiful sight that was in front of her. She knew that Joohyun’s hiding her beautiful face behind those nerdy round glasses all along.

 

 

Are you trying to kill me, stick girl? Pattie you chicken shiz! She mentally cussed on Pattie.

 

 

Hence, her cheeks eventually flushed crimson as she balls her fist tighter this time. “G-g-game!”

 

 

“Hey, I can’t see Seulgi clearly.” Joohyun briefly protests.

 

“Pretty Hyun, don’t worry I’m on your side! Just trust your instincts.” the Thai belle reassures the former. “By the way, you look better without these.” She pertained to Joohyun’s nerdy glasses. “Your contact lenses are on me.”

 

So you want to see my face clearly Hyun? I’m seeing your beautiful face without inhibitions now...I think I can die in peace!” Seulgi’s mouth subconsciously gaped.

 

“Game? Game!” Lisa signaled them to start the interrupted bout once again.

 

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!”

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!”

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!” No one wants to lose.

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!”

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!” Or neither of them wanted go get flicked on the forehead since they still have a long quiz in there last subject.

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… Rock, Paper, Scissors!”

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors… ROCK! PAPER! SCISSORS!” Gosh this is so frustrating!

 

 

“Scissors, Paper, Rock...Paper, Scissors. Rock...Rock, Scissors, Paper!” Jisoo, Chaeyoung, Jennie and Pattie disassembles the word order of the game in order to distract the two in order for one of them to get a point yet the two were too focused in their heated game.

 

“SCISSORS,SCISSORS,SCISSORS!!!”

 

“PAPER, PAPER, PAPER!”

 

“ROCK, ROCK, ROCK!”

 

Their other friends were savagely messing with them as they do the Dougie dance. (Note that Nae Nae and Dab were still non-existent in 2009.)

 

 

 

Bishez go to hell!!!

 

Chicken shiz, all of you burn!!!

 

Both Joohyun and Seulgi mentally curses their other friends for messing around them.

 

 

 

“ROCK! PAPER! SCISSORS! ROCK! PAPER! SCISSORS!” Both of them chanted aloud for the last time. And yes, Seulgi was undisputed.

 

 

 

 

 

“ASA!” The dense bear exclaims.

 

 

But her Thai best friend seems unfazed with her search to find that something. She wanted to decode her best friend’s real feelings towards Joohyun.

 

She didn’t let the bear-girl celebrate her victory even longer as she raised all the baby hairs blocking Joohyun’s beautiful forehead.

 

 

Let’s see if you’ll dare to flick this Seulbear! “Seulgi!” Pattie mused.

 

 

Seulgi instantly freezes in her place as Joohyun leans a little closer to her.

 

 

 

“Mark that brilliant skull, she’s always getting perfect score!” Jisoo teasingly cheers.

 

“Flick that forehead! Flick that forehead!” Subsequently, Lisa, Jennie and Chaeyoung started chanting.

 

“Uh, uh…” Seulgi was already feeling uneasy. She doesn’t want to hurt Joohyun. But what can she do when it’s the loser’s punishment?

 

“Flick that forehead! Flick that forehead!” they kept chanting. Balls of sweat formed on the human bear’s forehead as her hands felt dead cold.

 

Now Pattie felt a little impatient that she gently pushed Joohyun’s face closer to Seulgi that their noses were touching already.

 

Is my best friend watching How to Get Away Murder? Because seriously she’s doing the best method to kill me right now. And she can alibi that it’s a suicide. Seulgi gulps the lump that formed in  as she shuts her eyes. She can feel Joohyun’s breath touching her lips.

 

Oh my gahd! Pull away Seulgi, pull away! Her mind scolds her body who was seemingly stubborn as it remains frozen.

 

“What now Seulbear?” The Thai princess pries.

 

“Aishhhh!” Seulgi exclaimed blocking Joohyun’s forehead with her left hand as she flicks it with her right.

 

 

LAME!!!

 

 

Hence, Pattie was satisfied with her little experiment. Confirmed, Joohyun is special for her dear bear.

 

 

“K! K! K!” The Thai belle mused to all of them once again. “Seulgi you're so lame.”

 

The bear-girl hasn’t fully recovered yet but it seems that her Thai best friend is up to something weird once again. So without beating around the bush she began, “What again Stick Girl?”

 

“Seulgi-yah! No manners!” Joohyun briefly scolds the former which made Pattie even happier.

 

It seems that pretty Hyun finds my Seulbear special, eh?HIHI!!!

 

“Erm, so what do you want to play this time Pattie-ah?” Seulgi minded her manners not wanting to upset Joohyun anymore.

 

“Hide and Seek…”

 

“Oh, I’m also good at this!” Seulgi even stretches her arms feeling competitive.

 

“Oh yes, of course!” Pattie agreed in a rather scornful tone. “Hide and Seek…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“...of FEELINGS!”

 

 

 

 

 

Screw you, Stick Girl!

 

 

-----

 

Joohyun thanked the heavens that Seulgi did not dare to flick her forehead for losing at their Rock, Paper, Scissors skirmish she got a good grade on their long quiz for their last subject. And that, her jealousy towards Pattie has set aside a little. OKAY! JUST A LITTLE! Since she seems to be a nice person.

 

Hence, she felt that their invisible tug with each other was still there and hasn’t been cut just because Pattie reappeared in Seulgi’s life once again.

 

 

Conversely, Seulgi, Jisoo, Lisa, Chaeyoung and Jennie, who received forehead flicks that afternoon, all received failing scores.

 

 

Chicken shiz!!!

 

 

Now they fully understood the Chronicles why Seulgi is Dense.

 

 


A/N: I know Safe and Sound is angsty guys, but I hope you kind of let it slip your mind to enjoy this prologue! Haha! You know, this is their story from 8 years before and I made this because I'm also feeling worked-up with my own story (Safe and Sound), I'm not sure if I made a mistake on writing it because it's really challenging to bring all the drama since I'm originally a fluff author! Don't forget to leave a Comment, Subscribe and of course Upvote if you feel like it. Hehe, author-nim is really looking forward reading your comments!