Part one

Soul swap

The lights from the car heading directly towards him blinded him, he heard the deafening sound of the horns yet his feet refused to move.

Donghae knew that the car was going to hit him. It all happened in few seconds; the sound of the wheels scratching the asphalt, the screaming of the lady standing not far from the street and the sound of crashing.

Donghae closed his eyes expecting pain to spread all over his body, he waited for the unbearable ache. He expected a painful death. However, nothing happened.

He slowly opened his eyes, inspecting his surroundings. There was nothing. No crashing car, no screaming lady, not even the street.

He was standing in the middle of nowhere… everything was white as if covered by a soft layer of now.

Donghae turned around examining the place. Did he die? Was that place heaven?

“It worked” a soft whisper from behind him made him abruptly turn around. There was a guy standing not far from him. Donghae couldn’t see his expressions though. But he was sure that the other was smiling. A really sad smile.

“Who are you?” Donghae asked, but he received no answer.

The guy kept on repeating that it worked, Donghae didn’t know what he was talking about, but he noticed that the other was holding a notebook close to his chest.

When Donghae tried to approach the guy, a blinding light covered the place and a horrible horn sounds made him abruptly wake up.

“It was a dream” he mumbled as he sighed, closing his eyes again.

He felt sweaty, and his heart was furiously beating inside his chest.

What a weird dream.

 He extended his hand trying to reach the glass of water his mother always leaves on the nightstand next to his bed, but his hand met a cold surface. Donghae opened his eyes only to find a wall on the left of his bed.

He was confused for few seconds, his bed was in the middle of the room. So why was it stuck to the wall, a plain white wall…

Donghae turned around slowly… The room wasn’t his, the furniture, the color of the walls, everything was different!

He started to panic, and when he tried to stand up a pain shot through his back. He winced and lifted the shirt he was wearing only to be taking back by how pale his bruised abdomens are. His fingers also were longer, thinner and much paler than he remembered!

Donghae turned around looking for a mirror, when he spotted a body length one on the unfamiliar wardrobe. He rushed to it. To his horror, the person the mirror reflected was not him.

The pale skin, the single lidded eyes, the dark hair, the thin body even the clothes he was wearing! Nothing looked like Donghae!

“This is a dream… I’m still sleeping” He mumbled with a voice he couldn’t recognize.

Donghae took few steps back, he was confused… no confused is an understatement! Donghae was lost, freaked out!

He brought his hand to his face and with all the force he got he pinched his cheek. He felt the pain… the pain from pinching himself and the pain from his abdomen and back.

Actually, all his body was aching, but he couldn’t care less! He woke up in a strange room, and in someone else’s body!

“What the ! What the is going on!” he repeated “ Who the are you!” Donghae screamed as he pointed at his reflection in the mirror

A knock was heard from the door, and seconds later a girl’s head appeared “ Oppa? Are you alright?”

Donghae was speechless. He gazed terrifyingly at the girl.

Noticing the sudden change in the other’s expression the girl hesitantly entered the room “Emm… Oppa… what’s wrong? You look pale”

“Who the are you?!” Donghae mumbled taking a step back

“S-Sora… your sister?” The girl uncertainly answered “Oppa quit joking… you are acting weird!”

Donghae didn’t get the chance to answer for a voice from outside the room called

“LEE HYUKJAE, LEE SORA! GET DOWN RIGHT NOW!”

“See! Now mom is pissed! Hurry up and wear your uniform you’re going to be late for school!”Sora said before leaving the room again.

“NO! nonono! this is not happening” Donghae chanted as he held his head trying in vain to stop it from throbbing!

He had to get out of this house! He traveled with his eyes trying to find trousers to wear instead of the shorts he had, when he spotted his school uniform hanging on the door.

“Finally something familiar!”

He quickly wore the uniform, took the bag and a cell phone that were placed on the desk and left the room.

The unfamiliarity of the place was suffocating. Donghae didn’t recognize the walls nor the stairs! Nothing looked like his home!

Luckily for him the main door was ahead of the stairs so he didn’t have to look. He didn’t mind the calls of some lay and the girl Sora. Ater all they were calling someone else’s name.

“Lee Hyukjae… who the are you!”

Once out, Donghae examined the neighborhood. He knew this place! A friend of his lived in this area!

Donghae sighed in relief as he run toward his house. His actual house!

He run as fast as he could, not mattering the pain invading his body. It wasn’t his in reality… it was Hyukjae’s!

Minutes later he reached his destination, tears of joy escaped his eye as he finally found a familiar sight. He hurried to the door and knocked once and twice… he knocked until his palms hurt but no one opened the door.

Donghae sat next to the door, hoping that his parents would come back soon. He was planning to stay there until they come back, but the cell phone he took from Hyukjae’s room buzzed announcing a new text message.

The phone didn’t have a password and Donghae thought that was strange for a teenager. They had a lot of things to hide! At least he and all his friends did!

Hyukfaggotjae I can’t see you anywhere. Are you hiding? Or maybe you can’t walk anymore because of all the beating you had yesterday kekeke. Don’t worry I can beat you again tomorrow! You ing

“What the ?! Is this some kind of a jock between friends?!” Donghae mumbled.

The number that sent the message was not saved, but it looked familiar to him.

Donghae finally decided to go to school. Maybe there he would find some answers.

It was lunch break when Donghae arrived at his high school. He was heading to the canteen when an arm pulled him to a corner and a boy with a petite figure pinned him to the wall

“Hyuk! Why the are you here! I told you to take a rest today! That is looking for you! He will kill you for sure this time!” the boy kept on hissing while looking around.

Donghae thought that he saw this guy before… but he couldn’t really remember

“Hyuk! Are you listening?!”

“Hey do you know a guy named Lee Donghae?”

The boy’s eye’s widened “ LeeDonghae? As in 3rd year 2nd class Lee Donghae?”

Donghae eagerly nodded.

“A.k.a your forever crush Lee Donghae?!”

Donghae was taking back “wait what? He has a crush on … me?”

The boy looked at him as if he grew two heads “ Did they hit your head yesterday? You are the one who has a crush on him! He doesn’t even know you exist! You’ve been silently stalking him for like 3 years and now you think he likes you back? What the Hyukjae?”

This body owner Lee Hyukjae, had a crush on him for years? He never knew him! He never saw his face before!

Maybe then they swapped bodies? Therefore, if he finds his body and the real Hyukjae then he will find a way to get back!

“Where is he now?! Did you see him today? I mean Donghae?”

“Seriously Hyuk, What’s going on with you? Donghae is in the hospital, he still is in a coma… he has been in a coma for a month now…”

“W-what?” Donghae’s heart was beating rapidly images of the previous night’s dream kept repeating.

It wasn’t a dream… It really did happen. He remembered the events of that day he was in a hurry to meet his friends, he was late already so he decided not to wait for the green light… the car came from nowhere! He couldn’t run he just stood there until the car crushed him and everything went black.

Then why did he wake in Hyukjae’s body? What happened to Hyukjae then? If he was there then where was Hyukjae?”

“I need to go” Donghae muttered before quickly leaving the school ignoring the calls of Hyukjae’s friend.

He run to the nearest hospital and prayed his body would be there.

He sighed in relief when the receptionist gave him the number of the room Lee Donghae was in.

When he reached the corridor, his feet became heavy. He didn’t know what to expect. He was afraid of entering the room. He didn’t want to see his lifeless body. He didn’t want for this to be a reality.

He leaned against the wall and sat on the floor hugging his knees.

“This is a nightmare” he kept repeating, maybe if he repeated it enough he would wake up!

“Hyukjae?”

Donghae abruptly lifted his head as soon as he heard his mother’s voice.

Tears escaped his eyes as he threw himself in her embrace hugging her for dear life.

“Oh my! Hyukjae, you’ve been acting weird since yesterday! What’s wrong honey?”

The soothing voice of his mom calmed him a bit.

“Are you here to see Donghae again?” she said as she petted his head

The boy nodded his head. So that’s how his mother recognized Hyukjae; he had been there before, probably visiting him.

“Okay let’s go” she said as she led him to the room at the end of the corridor.

When the door opened, Donghae saw his body lying on the bed, motionless. Except for the fainting bruise on his left cheek and the white bandage on his forehead nothing has changed.

It felt weird though. Looking at your own body lying helplessly on a hospital bed was weird.

The machines attached to his body and the constant beeping sound they were making made Donghae feel sick. He wanted to leave the room as soon as possible… He couldn’t stay any longer.

“Emm.. I think I’m going to leave” he said as he took few steps back

“Oh! Already?” His mother said “ I think it can’t be helped” she sighed as she received no answer

Donghae was already in the corridor when his mother called him “Oh! Hyukjae! You forget this notebook yesterday when you came to visit Donghae”

The book his mother was holding looked exactly like the one the guy from his dream had.

“Did I leave this?”

“Yes I found it on the bed of Donghae right after you left. I thought it was yours, since no one visits Donghae besides you. Isn’t it yours?” his mother asked

“Yes..yes it is mine. Thank you, Mrs. Lee.” Donghae said as he reached for the notebook “I’ll be leaving now.”

Donghae didn’t know what to do anymore. He stopped at a park near the hospital. It was getting dark, but he didn’t want to go back to Hyukjae’s house. He didn’t want to see people he didn’t know.

He just wanted for all this to end.

He sighed and opened the notebook his mother gave him.

The first few pages were empty and Donghae wondered why Hyukjae was carrying a blank notebook with him until he finally found some written pages and his eyes widened

Dear Donghae,

If you are reading this, then the fortune teller was not lying! I know you must be confused but I’ll explain everything.

A month ago you were in a car accident. You were hurt badly and you entered a coma. None of the doctors told us when you would wake up, they even told your parents to expect a cerebral death. It was hard for your family they cried a lot.

Yesterday, when I was on my way to visit you I met an old lady who claims to be a fortune teller. She said that she sensed my grief and that she was willing to help you. She gave me this portion that she claims to be magical and told me to drink it when the clock announces midnight (I know it sounds like a Disney movie! Hh) Anyway, she said that if I do so, our bodies would swap, and you would wake up the next morning as Lee Hyukjae!

I don’t know what this bottle contains or I that old lady was actually a fortune teller or not but I’m going to drink it anyway! I have nothing to lose after all. Unlike you.

Oh! You must be wondering who the hell am I! well, memorize these acts because you are becoming me.

My name is Lee Hyukjae, I’m 17 years old. I was born on the 4th of April. I go to the same high school as you do. I’m a 3rd year 4th class. I have one older sister Lee Sora who likes to call me oppa for some weird reasons. My mom Jang Deokboon is the sweetest soul ever! My father … he just left us when I was 3 years old. You don’t need to know anything about him… because I don’t.

I have one lone friend you’d probably met him by now ( that is if you went to school) his name is Kim Ryeowook I won’t tell you much about him because all he does is talk about himself.

Emm… you know Jihyung? I think he is one of your friends. Well, he is not that friendly with me… Actually, if you woke up and your back was aching, that would be because he just kicked my a few hours ago.

I’m sorry all I can give you is this full of bruises and scars body. An unknown person’s body who gets bullied on a daily basis.

I hope you can stand for yourself and fight back once you wake up.

If you are wondering why I’m doing all this for a stranger then the answer is very easy actually.

I had nothing to live for. I was planning to end my life anyway.

And because …

I love you.

I’ve loved you for years now.

You are the opposite of me! You are fun to be around, everybody loves you, you are always smiling and making everyone around you happy!

You are handsome and smart.

You are perfect.

I fell in love with you when I first saw you smiling… although it was never directed to me, it had always warmed my heart. I know you must be disgusted with all this, but I thought that since this is the first and last chance for me to confess why not do it?

I love you Lee Donghae.

Live happily even with my body.

Good bye.

Lee Hyukjae.

 


 

A/N: I'll update the second part tomorrow.