chapter 3 - the plan to end all plans

pizza tastes better with you

 

"So let me get this straight: you're not."

Jinyoung scowled. "Seriously Daehwi? I thought we covered this when I dated you for a full two weeks…"

Daehwi laughed. "You can never be too sure when it comes to you."

Jinyoung scoffed. "Oh please. The fact that I broke up with you doesn't mean that I'm no longer able to like men, you idiot."

Daehwi brushed some hair out of his face. "Well, if it were anyone else, that'd be true. But I'm special. I'm about as boyfriend material you can get."

Jinyoung stared at Daehwi's wiggling eyebrows in disgust. "Save it for Samuel you bum."

Daehwi smiled. "Oh don't worry about that Jinyoung. I've saved enough for my little Sammy boy."

Jinyoung looked at Daehwi in horror. "Remind me why I'm friends with you again?"

"Cause you broke up with me, you cheater."

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. "I never even cheated on you!"

"Yes, you did! You had all of those posters of that Pristin girl on your walls!"

"First of all, her name is Kyulkyung. And second of all, that doesn't mean I cheated on you. It means I was a fan of a girl group."

"No. It means that you wanted to cheat on me with her, meaning that you are a huge liar."

Jinyoung sighed. "Whatever helps you sleep at night, Daehwi."

Daehwi grinned. "Thank you for giving in. Now, spill the tea. Who's this new boy you've been crying about?"

Jinyoung let out a sigh. "His name is Jihoon…"

"Jihoon…" Daehwi continued.

"Park. Park Jihoon."

Daehwi's eyes widened. "Oh that Jihoon? How the hell did you fall for him?"

Jinyoung made a face. "What do you mean by that?"

Daehwi sighed. "Well, I don't mean to compliment you or anything, but you're really attractive. Jihoon is terrible around attractive people. I wouldn't be surprised if you two hadn't even had a proper conversation yet."

Jinyoung looked down. Daehwi was actually right in a sense. He had only met Jihoon a handful of times since their first meeting, and all of their conversations had been about 40 seconds of awkward dialogue that always ended with Jinyoung handing Jihoon a pizza and in return receiving an incredibly large tip.

Despite this, the short conversation Jinyoung had shared with Jihoon had become some of the best moments of his week. Yes, they were awkward. Yes, Jihoon said some weird things. Of course Jinyoung would always get teased by his delivery partner, Seung Woo, for his red face and extra $20 when he'd return to the car from delivering Jihoon's pizza, but that was all okay. Somehow, all of the awkwardness between the two had made Jinyoung like Jihoon even more.

"So, like, how did you…?"

Jinyoung looked towards Daehwi. (He had forgotten he was there while thinking about Jihoon.) "Well, I mean…"

"Yeah?"

"He has ordered pizza almost every day since last week and-"

"So he can't cook."

Jinyoung looked back at Daehwi. "Why is that important?"

Daehwi sighed and looked at Jinyoung. "He can't cook for himself. So if he somehow decides to like you back, he's always going to make you cook for him. Don't get you a man like that."

"But you cook for Samuel all the time?"

"Yeah but it's Samuel we're talking about."

"I fail to see how that is a valid point but okay…"

"Thank you. Now continue, please."

Jinyoung thought for a moment. "We always talk a little whenever I bring over his pizza and then he gives me an awkwardly large tip."

Daehwi perked up at this. "How awkwardly large…"

"Well, last Thursday he gave me a $50 bill for a $20 pizza and refused to let me give him the change."

Daehwi's eyes widened. "Oh, dude, he either really hates seeing your face or he's trying to woo you with his bank account."

Jinyoung let out a sigh. "Really, Daehwi?"

Daehwi laughed. "Hey, I just say it like I hear it."

Jinyoung groaned and leaned back in his seat. He had been hoping talking to Daehwi about his little "crush" during his break from work would make him feel a little better. He had sincerely wished that Daehwi could be supportive of him just once. But no. Instead, he was left wondering if Jihoon might actually dislike him. After all, it had been about three days since Jihoon had placed his last order. Maybe he actually switched pizzerias.

"Okay son. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

Jinyoung looked towards Daehwi. "Huh?"

"You just looked so sad after I said that, and I suddenly felt the uncontrollable urge to apologize to you."

"Oh, I'm sorry. It must've been hard for you to see me like this."

"Yeah," said Daehwi. "You looked just like you did whenever we spent time together as JinHwi."

Jinyoung scoffed. "Oh please. I'm sure I was happy at least one of those times."

Daehwi looked at him with raised eyebrows. "I guess you never looked in a mirror back then…"

"Oh shut up."

Daehwi laughed. “No, seriously! You could have at least tried to-”

“No, seriously! Shut up.”

Daehwi scowled at Jinyoung. “Sorry, didn’t know that little lover boy over here was in a bad mood…”

Jinyoung groaned. “I’m not in a bad mood. You’re just infuriating.”

“Fine,” Daehwi groaned. “We don’t need to talk about the past. Let’s talk about the future you have with this ‘Jihoon’ character.”

“What are you talking about? We don’t have a future. It’s just a little crush…Besides-”

“Really Jinyoung? This is why no one other than me would ever date you.”

Jinyoung scowled towards Daehwi. “That’s mean.”

His friend scoffed. “It’s mean but true. You’re always like, ‘oh it’s fine, i dont need happiness in life you go on and marry someone thats not me even tho i like you, blahblahblah…’ Like give me a break. it up, admit that you are legit attracted, and make a move.”

Jinyoung sighed. “You say it like it’s easy…”

“Yeah. Because it is. See me and Sammy? We’re together.”

“Yeah but you didn’t ask him out.”

“But I made the first move.”

Jinyoung huffed. “Well, I’d try making the first damn move if I saw him at all…”

Daehwi cocked his head. “What do you mean?”

“He hasn’t called once in three days, so I haven’t seen him.”

Daehwi sighed in annoyance. “So you’re giving up on your man because he hasn’t called in three days? That’s weak.”

Jinyoung looked straight at Daehwi. “You don’t understand. We had something, although I don’t know what, and he’s trying to break up with me via pizza.”

Daehwi groaned. “He can’t break up with you if you aren’t a thing and-”

“But we kind of were-”

“-He’s probably either busy or broke…”

Jinyoung’s eyes widened. “Shoot, you’re right…”

“Of course I’m right. Now go buy him a pizza.”

Jinyoung looked at him. “What?”

“Must I explain everything to this kid,” Daehwi muttered.

“Yeah, kind of.”

Daehwi sighed. “Okay, so let’s say he’s broke. Buy him a pizza and bring it to him. Ya know, a gift.”

Jinyoung slowly nodded. “Okay, but…”

“No but’s. You know where he lives, you know what pizza he likes. You’re practically married and this is the perfect plan.”

“What if he isn’t home?”

“Then eat it yourself.”

“What if he doesn’t live there anymore?”

“Eat it yourself.”

“What if he doesn’t want it?”

“For GOD’S SAKe JINYOUNG if something stupid like what you’re saying happens, just eat the damn pizza yourself. You bought it. You have every right to it.”

“Right. So I buy a pizza…”

“Yes buy a pizza and bring it to Jihoon.”

“...and bring it to- I don’t think this is going to work.”

“Oh mY GOD.”