Bridge

Your Guardian Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N]

im sorry it took so long i just had a massive blank while writing this chapter (and im sorry again coz i feel like its quality still isnt as good rip

yall keep commenting "my heART" or "im HEARTbroken" do u guys realize ur making wonderful puns HAHAHAH (anyway i inserted one in this chapter)

 

OK SO these next chapters are SLIGHTLY shorter, coz i feel like too much constant angst kinda ruins the effect but dw diff things happen in every chapter

PS based on the chapter titles (and the literal song itself), some of u might guess how many chapters are left (but who knows...  i separated the second verse into two... and maybe ill add one chapter for fun)

 

*insert nayeon comforting mina gif*

*insert cutie mina feeding nayeon*

 

 

---

You're mine

My true love

My whole heart

Please don't throw that away

'Cause I'm here for you

Please don't walk away and

Please tell me you'll stay

-

 

 

"Miss Im," a voice called out to a gloomy Nayeon.

Nayeon slowly turned around to see Dr. Chou walking towards her. Nayeon felt grateful that she was going to take care of Mina again. She wouldn't have to explain their situation once more. She wouldn't have to let even more people know about how unfortunate they were. More importantly, she didn't need to force herself to be politely cheery to someone new.

"Thank you for bringing her back," Tzuyu said as she sat down next to Nayeon. "Her condition-"

"- is getting worse-"

"-requires our supervision," Tzuyu finished. She glanced at Nayeon, who was looking at nothing else but the hospital ground. "I came here to tell you we are going to keep her here until she fully recovers."

"So it is getting worse." Nayeon let out a sad smile. Her suspicions were confirmed.

Tzuyu heard in her tone that there wasn't any way to comfort her at the moment, and only time will help for now. She knew Nayeon would just deny any sort of reassurance.

"Miss Im, I am sure you are aware that she has coronary heart disease. I've mentioned before that she had inherited it from her mother."

Tzuyu waited for a sign, a reaction, a noise, anything from the dejected girl to show that she was listening, but didn't get any. 

"But I should let you know that there are multiple treatments to this illness, and that you shouldn't worry. We will do all we can to help her."

Tzuyu was met with silence. Seeing as Nayeon wasn't putting up much of a conversation and that she had said everything she needed to say, Tzuyu stood back up and started to walk away. She stopped in her tracks as she heard a voice behind her.

"Nayeon," the voice said.

"Hm?" Tzuyu turned back.

"Call me Nayeon," she sighed, emotionless. "Because I feel like I will be seeing you more often from now on."

 

-

 

Mina was on a sick leave from work. Nayeon, however, was not. So when Nayeon came to visit everyday, and stayed for God knows how long, Mina began to worry. 

"Don't you have work?" Mina asked, as she woke up to Nayeon holding her hand.

It was the middle of the week, and so far Nayeon has been here for the third day in a row, sitting on a chair, watching over Mina. She only left for a bathroom break, or when she went to get something to eat. She even occasionally took naps here, and Tzuyu had to bring in a more comfortable chair for her to sleep in. She was practically a patient at the hospital.

"I have a week off," Nayeon lied.

Mina knew it wasn't the truth. Nayeon knew Mina didn't believe her. They didn't do anything but exchange knowing glances. Mina knew nothing she could say would make Nayeon leave, and Nayeon knew nothing could stop her from staying.

Nayeon stood up to give her a light kiss on the forehead and to fix her bed hair. Mina leaned into the touch and looked around. There was a pillow and a blanket on Nayeon's designated chair.

"Did you sleep here?" Mina asked as she arranged the collar of Nayeon's shirt. "I think you're here more often than my own doctor."

"Good. That means I'm winning in who can make you feel better." She softly smiled at Mina, who smiled back.

That's one, Nayeon thought. She was keeping track on how many times Mina smiled throughout the day. Nayeon wouldn't leave if she didn't make her smile at least once. Even if that one time was forced.

"How do I look?" Nayeon joked, as she put on Tzuyu's extra white coat she left in the room. The ends of the coat almost reached the ground, as Tzuyu's height made Nayeon feel extra small.

Mina smiled again at the sight of Nayeon twirling around and smugly smiling in an oversized lab coat.

That's two.

"Would Dr. Im like to accompany Mina walking around?"

Nayeon whipped her head around to see Tzuyu raising an eyebrow at her. She had caught her red-handed. She hurriedly tried to remove it, trying her best to not damage anything in the pockets, until Tzuyu stopped her from doing so. Nayeon looked up to Tzuyu, who gestured for her to keep it on. Nayeon gave her a confused look, but understood why when Tzuyu pointed towards Mina.

A laughing Mina.

Mina, whose crescent moons were making a rare appearance. Mina, whose gummy smile melted Nayeon's heart once more. Mina, whose joy and laughter made Nayeon forget the fact that she was in a hospital bed.

That's an extra 10 points.

 

-

 

Mina, amongst others, finally convinced Nayeon to go back to work regularly. She only went home to shower and sleep. But it didn't stop her from coming over straight from work to do her paperwork there. Mina even shared the table she ate on so Nayeon wouldn't be unhealthily crouching her back while writing.

Nayeon still accompanied Mina during her walks outside, where they would sit on a bench while Mina breathed in fresh air. She would watch as the light wind would push back her growing hair, that was now her natural colour, and cherished this moment as Mina finally looked at peace. 

Most of the time, Nayeon would tell her stories that happened at work or with Jihyo and Jeongyeon, while Mina leaned on her shoulder, laughing. It was times like these that Nayeon forgot all the bad things and just focused on the present, just focused on Mina.

But it wasn't going to last very long, and Nayeon knew it. Nayeon would find herself staring at Mina when she took one more nap than usual, and not out of endearment, but out of worry. She worried not about how Mina's condition wasn't getting any worse, but rather how it wasn't getting any better either. The fact that it was unchanging terrified Nayeon, because it could mean anything. And she hated waiting. It was slowly eating her up inside.

She looked down at the second scrapbook she was making (which she prepared only while Mina was sleeping). She was planning on surprising her once more, when she got out of here. But Nayeon's mind couldn't help but wander to the worst of thoughts. What if she never gets to give it to her?

 

-

 

"Eat. Please."

Jihyo stared Nayeon down. They were at their usual sushi place, that somehow couldn't be called "usual" anymore. Nayeon wasn't coming anymore. Nayeon wasn't coming for months now.

She even celebrated her 28th birthday in Mina's hospital room. And she didn't even bake a cake, because Mina couldn't eat it.

"You're not leaving this place until you finish your plate," Jihyo commanded with a stern voice.

Nayeon has been relunctantly playing around with her food for 30 minutes, and Jihyo knew she just wanted to go back to Mina. Jihyo understood why, but an intervention was needed for Nayeon.

"Jeongyeon's with her now, don't worry," Jihyo tried to comfort her in the midst of her seriousness.

Jihyo stared at the detached Nayeon looking down on her plate. She had cut her hair to her shoulders. Her bangs were gone. "What's the use of having long hair when Mina can't play with it anymore?" Nayeon had told them. "What's the use of bangs when Mina can't fix them anymore?"

To any other person, Nayeon still looked healthy. But to Jihyo, it was the opposite. Her cheekbones were slightly more prominent. Her fingers were more slender, but not in the good way. Her thinning figure made her baggy clothes seem a size over XL on her. It was as if Mina didn't find the use in Nayeon eating anymore.

"What's the use when Mina can't touch me like before?"

Jihyo found this situation difficult. She knew how hard Nayeon was taking it, and knew these were all symptoms of Nayeon caring for Mina. How was she supposed to tell her that, although Jihyo and Jeongyeon did care deeply for Mina, they cared for Nayeon's well-being as well? How was she supposed to tell her to simply get a hold of herself?

Jihyo decided. She was about to do just that. Nayeon wasn't going to pay attention to what she was going to say if it was sugar-coated. Jihyo needed to make Nayeon realize what she was doing to herself, and she knows Mina could see it too, but didn't have the heart to tell her (a/n lmao get it? im so sorry).

"Nayeon," Jihyo called out to her.

Nayeon slowly lifted her head to face Jihyo. But it wasn't Nayeon's eyes she saw. It wasn't the bright, conceited, full of life eyes she was used to seeing. Nayeon was doing all of this out of love, but why is it that Jihyo saw anything but that in her eyes? 

"Do you remember when you first saw Mina in that hospital bed a few months ago?" She continued.

Jihyo saw Nayeon's eye twitch at the memory, or rather at the fact that Jihyo should watch what she was going to say next.

"Do you remember how you feared for the worst as you entered the room, how weak she-"

"You-" Nayeon finally let out a noise, which Jihyo took as a sign to continue as she had hit a nerve.

"-looked in her little hospital gown?"

"Where are you going with this?" Nayeon slowly seethed out, with gritted teeth. Jihyo remained indifferent, she had to. She hated hurting her friend like this, but she thought it was the only way.

"Remember how you felt these past

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter