To My Forever

To My Forever

Pairing: Hoseok X Reader

Genre: fluff, angst, highschool!AU

 

"Hoseok!" You shouted as you saw your bestfriend for 12 years again after losing contact for so many years. He suddenly popped out of nowhere. You just received a call late at night and it was him. All of the memories came crashing back. You became nostalgic.

 

---

 

You were bestfriends since high school. Everybody is envious of your relationship. He lived overseas when he was a child and his parents sent him back in Seoul to study. When he first came to your school, everyone is amazed by him because of how he speaks English fluently and his features. He’s good looking, tall, and smiles brightly at anyone. And there you are, rolling your eyes and not amazed at all with him. You thought that he's an attention seeking guy and it irritates you. But before you know it, you are assigned in tutoring him for subjects that he needs to pass in order to graduate.


 

"Come on Y/N! You need to help me on this one!" As he pulled you towards his classroom. You aren't classmates anymore and everyone inside the room is looking at you.


 

"Uhm. Hobi, can we do this after class? Your classmates are not happy about the intrusion" scratching your neck while looking around.


 

"Don't mind them." As he pulled you a chair and let you sit beside him. He doesn’t really care about other people’s opinion of him that’s why we clicked instantly.


 

"Alright! Let's get started Y/N. I'll have a quiz on this later. So please, you need to translate everything to me." He gave you a puppy dog smile that he knows that you can't resist.


 

"Fine. But please learn fast so that I can go to my own class." You nudge him and started the instant tutoring session.


 

Everything was a routine for the both of you. Tutoring him, going to his house, playing consoles, and he even introduce you to his aunt and brother. He’s into hip-hop dancing and you at that department. He enjoys showing off his dance moves to you. Everything was perfect. He was the best guy out there and you're definitely developing feelings for him. But you aren't sure of his feelings for you.

 

One day it hits you. You're playing consoles and you're sitting on his bed like your normal days. The both of you nudging each other and making the other person lose while playing. It was a usual day for the both of you, laughing and teasing.


 

"Argh! Why can't you win this time Y/N? Are you losing on purpose?" He teased and laughed. He suddenly stopped playing and lay down in his bed. You got confused with his actions. But you joined him and lay down too. He propped up his elbow and looked at you. You can hear your heartbeat getting fast and loud. You are scared that he might hear it. You got a pillow and hugged on it to protect your own heartbeat from him.


 

"You know what Y/N. I enjoy every single day I spent with you. I'm happy that you're my best friend" then he looked at you and smiled. His smile that gets your stomach filled with butterflies. That kind of smile. But everything went black on your sight. You felt your heartbeat stopped. You don't know what to feel but your body is acting up on its own. Like a flight or fight situation. It automatically set it’s survival mode because you suddenly stood up and fixed your yourself. You tried to hide the pain but you know that he can see it. He knows you. He knows everything about you. He can see you like an open book but he ignored it. He didn’t stopped you. He didn’t even flinched from where he’s lying down and you know what that means too.


 

"Uhm. I better get going Hoseok. It's getting dark. My mom will kill me." You called him Hoseok and you never used that since you gave him his own nickname, Hobi. You almost stumbled at the console but gathered your strength as you got your bag and walk out that door. You didn’t looked back to him. He didn’t stopped you. He just let’s you go.

 

You were walking out of his house. You didn't even understand why you are upset or why you are crying in the street that night. You just thought that he felt the same way but as he said, best friend. It was like a poison to you. You never thought that one word will make your world crashed down on you.


 

When you saw each other the next day, he didn't asked you what happened last night. You just went to your usual routine: talk in the hallway like you're the only person in the school, joked around, him escorting you in the bathroom which is weird because he's guy. But it never occured to you because you want him to be with you 24/7. He even gave you money when you're crying because you want to join some swimming party with your classmates. Shouting your name in the hallway then hugs you even there are a lot of people around. Him being your best friend was not bad a bad idea at all, but you are feeling something that you wished the word best friend doesn’t exist.

 

Rumors are starting to filled the school. Everybody thinks that you are together and you liked that idea but is he feeling the same way too? You gather were getting ready to go home and you are putting your books inside your locker which you obviously share with Hoseok.


 

"We're just best friends" As you overheard Hoseok say to one of his classmates. He always say that whenever people ask him about us and you are sure that he doesn’t feel the same way as you.

 

One day, he walked over to where you are eating your lunch. You don’t eat with him during break time because your schedules are not the same. You are confused to why is he there during your break.

 

“Y/N! There you are. I’ve been looking all over for you. I was wondering, do you want to join the dance club? They opened some slots and I really want to join. Please join with me.” He pulled off his puppy dog eyes trick on me but he knows I won’t join him on this.

 

“Hobi, you know I’m not good at dancing. I don’t dance. I just love watching it. But you should join because you are a really great dancer.” You smiled at him sincerely hoping that he won’t beg you because you know that you can’t resist him.

 

“Okay, but promise me that you’ll watch our practices and all of our shows.” He pulled your hand with his two hands. He clasped them together and you were shocked with his gestures.

 

“Yes yes yes! I promise!” You pulled your hand away before something bad happens and he just smiled and jumped with glee about your promise.

 

 

You were never late nor absent on his dance practices. You are always present and like the best friend that you are. You always hold onto his things, wipe his sweat, and throws him a bottle of water when they stopped dancing. Is this still normal for best friends? You asked yourself.

 

“Y/N, what are you doing here?” Stella, one of your classmates, went to where you are seated.

 

“I’m just waiting for Hoseok.” You point to where the dance club is practicing.

“So you are a thing now with Hoseok? Because I’m here with Jin.” Her tone was teasing and you know she’ll get into your skin if she continues it. Stella and Jin was known for being the best couple in school. You aren’t friends with Stella but Jin and Hoseok became close because of the dance club.

 

“No. We’re just best friends” You shrugged at the thought. Best friends you tasted blood in your own words.

 

“I think you’re lost because everyone here in the waiting area are girlfriends or boyfriends of the dance club members.” She’s mocking you as always. She never liked you and the feeling is mutual. You wouldn’t even talk to her if it wasn’t for Hoseok. He keeps on saying that you should be more friendly with his friends. You are trying but not with Stella.

 

“Oh? There should be a sign here that this waiting area is exclusive for girlfriends or boyfriends of the dance club members. You should petition that Stella.” You spit sarcasm all over her and she doesn’t like getting humiliated in front of people.

 

She was about to say something when Hoseok and Jin arrived.

 

“Y/N!! Practice is finished!” Hoseok put his towel on your lap and rest his head there. The gesture is normal to you. It never suprised you at all. But you can see how upset Stella.

 

“Jin baby. Are you tired?” As she wiped Jin’s sweat and kissed his cheek.

 

“Nope baby. We should eat dinner with Y/N and Hoseok. What do you think?” Jin said while kicking the shoes of Hoseok.

 

“Yea Y/N, let’s eat out with them. Please?” That face. That face that he uses whenever he knows that you will say no to his requests. He knows you hate Stella but he also know you can’t resist him at all.

 

“Okay. Where are we eating?” You pushed him and stood up. You need to get it over with.

 

 

As time went by, you still join him in his dance practices but sometimes you can’t be with him because you are caught up with studies. He understands whenever you can’t wait for him or you can’t join him in his dance practice.

 

You were studying for the exams when suddenly Hoseok messaged you.

 

Are you still awake?

 

Yup, why?

 

Nothing. I just missed you during dance practice. No one is waiting for me in the waiting area anymore.

 

Your heartbeat raced at his message. What is this? You asked yourself over and over and over. You realized that you didn’t even replied on his message. He messaged again and this time you almost dropped your phone.

 

Are you okay? I love you.

 

Wait? Hoseok loves me? Jung Hoseok? My best friend for 3 years loves me back? Your thoughts are eating you alive. You are panicking. But you didn’t message him back nor call him. You want to hear it from him tomorrow. Face to face. Not through message or phone call.

 

 

When you arrived in school. He greeted you instantly.

“Sorry I slept early last night” As you try to form an excuse that sounded unrealistic.

 

“It’s okay. No worries. I’m tired too from practice.” He flashed his ultimate smile at you that makes your knees weak. You didn’t answer back. You just put your bag in your desk.

 

“Uhm Y/N, are you free after class? I need to tell you something.” Hoseok is fidgeting his fingers. Not the usual gestures that he do. You know he do this whenever he’s nervous about something.

 

“Sure.” You try to answer cheerfully but your voice didn’t agree too much.

 

 

After class, you saw Hoseok waiting for you in the hall. You smiled at him but didn’t realize that he’s standing with someone else. Long black hair, petite, small figured body, and she looks familiar.

 

“Y/N, this is Bella. Bella this is Y/N.” Hoseok said nervously.

 

This is bad. You want the ground to open up and eat you alive right now. You know that you don’t want to hear his next words.

 

“Y/N, Bella is my girlfriend.” He smiled. That smile. The smile that can make your heart stop and skip at the same time. But this time, that smile is not for you. It’s for Bella.

 

“Oh. Hi.” You tried to suppress a smile. You tried to hide the fact that tears are forming in your eyes. You instantly rubbed your eyes like you are tired. Wishing that when you rub hard, you won’t see them in front of you. But everything is real.

 

“I need to go. I need to study for finals. I’m sorry Hoseok I can’t join you and Bella for dinner.” You tried to sound convincing. You tried to be strong just for a mere second. You hope that Hoseok can’t read your expressions but he knows you too well. You can see how worried he is now.

 

“Are you sure?” He sounded worried. But you just turned your heel and waved at them.

 

Hoseok didn’t call your name nor he run after you. Now you know that the message he sent you last night was not for you but for Bella. Tears starting to well up and you can’t control the subs forming in your mouth. Bella is one of the it girls in campus. She’s one of Stella’s friends.

 

 

Weeks passed and you never hang out with Hoseok. He tried to messaged you and call you but you always say Sorry, I’m busy. He tried to go to your classroom but you are always hiding in the lockers or you pretend not hearing him call you. But after break time, he saw the opportunity to trap you inside the girls bathroom.

 

“Y/N! I know you are there! Come out or I will go inside!” Hoseok shouted outside the door and you know that he never backs out from his words.

 

“YAH! Don’t you dare go inside!” You ran outside the bathroom and saw him. You know that you can’t avoid him forever. It’s now or never. He pulled you and brought you somewhere private.

 

“Y/N why are you avoiding me? Is this about Bella? You need to tell me.” He didn’t let go of your hand and you miss him holding you like this.

 

“No. I’m just really busy.” You tried to lie. Lie to your best friend. Your best friend that can see right through your soul.

 

“Don’t lie to me. This is not you. Me having a girlfriend doesn’t change our friendship. Did I do something wrong?” The look on his face. It pains me to see him like this. He didn’t do something wrong and he was right about that, friendship.

“Nothing is wrong. I just need to give you more time with Bella. I can’t take away his boyfriend.” Boyfriend word that you wish to address to Hoseok but with you and not with someone else.

 

“You are not taking away my time from Bella. Nothing will change. We are still best friends. That fact won’t change. Bella knows it and she understands it well.” Hoseok tries to convince you like he always do.

 

You just smiled at his words and he hugged you. You missed him and you don’t want to let go of that hug.

 

 

 

After that conversation with Hoseok. Things are not the way it was. You hear people saying So they aren’t together? Poor Y/N. You aren’t even affected by it. It’s enough that you cry yourself to sleep because of it but you will not show it in front of the whole campus. Things are way complicated as you see it. Hoseok never sees it but you do. Stella and her perfect it girls would eye you up and laugh whenever they see you. You can see Bella with them but she never reacts to it. What a perfect girlfriend you always say to yourself.

 

One night, you need to ask Hoseok about his project. He left it to you yesterday and forgot to give it back to him.

 

Hobi! Do you need your project tomorrow? It’s with me.

 

Hi Y/N, this is Bella. Hoseok and I exchanged phones. I’ll let him know.

 

But you are not convinced. You know that he’s teasing you and he always do that ever since he went out with Bella. He thinks it’s funny to fool you.

 

Hobi don’t mess with me. Do you need it or not? I will bring it tomorrow just in case.

 

This is really Bella. If you don’t believe me, I’ll show it you tomorrow.

 

Sure, whatever you say.

 

 

 

The next day, you are inside the gym locker. You are changing your clothes for gym class when suddenly the it girls arrived.

 

“Y/N are you here?” an annoying voice just swiflty calls you and you know who it is. Bella.

 

“I’m here!” You shouted but you really didn’t want to see her.

 

She walked over to where you are and flashes Hoseok’s phone in your face.

 

“See! It’s with me. So please stop bothering my boyfriend.” She snapped at you and you saw her friends laughing at the way Bella insulted you.

 

“Ah. Okay.” You said coldly. You didn’t want to argue because you are done with all of it.

 

“Whatever. You are just a best friend so know your place.” Bella stormed out while her slaves follower her out. You didn’t even bother. You just know that Hoseok will wake up soon and will see Bella’s true color.

 

“Y/N! Bella is so wonderful. She’s amazing.” Hoseok didn’t stop complimenting Bella in front of you like she’s the only girl in the world. But something changed in his expression.

“Uhm Y/N, do you think I should continue my relationship with her?” His mood shifted. He was serious. He was asking you a question that you will make or break your relationship with him and his relationship with Bella. But you don’t know came up to you.

 

“Why? I thought she’s amazing? You should continue it and see if she’s really your soulmate.” Soulmate the term you use to each other before Bella arrive in your lives.

 

“Okay.” Then you are both silent.

 

 

-------

 

 

Seeing him again unexpectly made you happy. After you both graduated from high school, you rarely see each other because you went to a different university.

 

“Long time no see Y/N!” Hoseok hugged you tight. Those hugs. You missed it so much.

 

“Hobi! I didn’t expect to see you here.” You hug him tightly and it reminded you of your high school days with him.

 

You reminisce your high school days with him. All of the memories came back and you are both laughing carelessly like the old days. You haven’t seen him in the longest time and you rarely talk on the phone too. He fulfilled his dream of being a dancer and he’s a trainee in a small entertainment company. You became a preschool teacher like you always want. He’s never been so proud of you when he heard that you became what you want.

 

“A trainee? Wow! I’m so proud of you Hobi! That’s why I like you way back in high school.” Your sudden confession didn’t seem relevant at the moment. You still love him. You love him like he was the only guy you will ever love. All your relationships didn’t work because you keep on comparing him to your boyfriends. You never got satisfied and wished you confessed to him earlier.Y

 

He almost dropped his coffee but you both just laughed like the old times.

 

“You should have said that before Y/N because I really thought you just see me as a friend.” He confessed.

 

See me as a friend. It echoed in your ears.

 

“What? I thought that’s how you see me. I overheard you before that you didn’t want to ruin our friendship and you just think of me as a sister.” You almost shout at him. You didn’t even know you are getting frustrated with this sudden confession. Not after 12 years. Is it too late?

 

“I know. I’m sorry. Maybe I don’t want to ruin what we have that time. You are precious to me.” He smiled. That smile. You miss that smile. Hobi’s smile.

 

“After 12 years Hobi. We got this out after so many years.” You laughed. You are happy. You waited for this your whole life. You waited for him to confess like this.

 

“I really liked you before. I even asked you if I should continue my relationship with Bella because I want to be with you. But you said that I should be with her. I thought that you didn’t like me the way I liked you.” Hoseok said while drinking his coffee. You were taken aback. You never thought that was his confession to you. You just didn’t want his relationship with Bella get ruin because of you. He didn’t wait for your answer.

 

“But I’m here not because of that Y/N. I’m here to give you this.” He handed his wedding invitation. His WEDDING INVITATION. You’re shocked about what you hear and saw. You’re speechless. All this year you thought that he sees you as a friend. All this years you try to control your feelings over him. All this year you were crying because you want him in your life. He stopped you from your raging thoughts.

 

“Bella and I are getting married next week. I hope you can come.” He smiled at you. That smile that makes your heart skip and knees weak. Just like the old times. The old times that you wish to turn back.

 

“Sure.” You said weakly. Defeated. Even after 12 years, you are late. Always late. You are just his best friend after all.