Rainy Summer

Rainy Summer

It all ended just like that. The mini-concert with a sudden fan meet and greet with SHINHWA lasted for only an hour and it made me feel that it all happened in a blink of an eye. I didn’t even manage to get near them nor tell them how honoured I was to somehow stand in the same ground where they were performing.

I aimlessly got carried by the crowd of orange sisters exiting the venue. My energy is obviously depleted. The only thing that I knew I needed was something to recharge me after the long hectic screaming for my favourite people on earth so instead of going straight to the fan girl camp – I decided to have a last stroll in this unknown city while still wearing my orange raincoat.

The anonymity of the location gave us all the privilege to cherish the six of them without much commotion. I believe it’s the first of its kind. We were roughly 60 girls who were able to make it in the final screening. The probability of being picked was crazy and I can’t believe fate graced me such opportunity of a lifetime. We were gathered in Seoul and rode the plane to this campsite. It looks like a secluded rural area with not too many structures, just a fine welcoming vibe of nature.

A twinkling box type pub invited me to go closer to it like a firefly in the dark. I went in and it was suited with acoustic music coolly playing on the background and a relaxing ambience that will make you tell stories when you were just a kid. An elderly man who’s wiping a black mug smiled at me and asked me for my order. My eyes started to jump right away to the menu behind him which is all written sideways. It was fascinating.

Unfocused and still scattered brain, I struggled on picking what to drink. Time was ticking and I can’t still decide what I should have. I bit my lip as I try to read again from the very start for the third time when all of a sudden someone spoke behind my back.

“Dear, why don’t you just have root beer? HAHAHA!”

That honey teasing voice followed by a crisp laughter sounded so familiar to me and as I turned around to see who it was, Dongwan Oppa waved at me like we were close to each other.

I tried to smile. I tried so hard but my heart pushed the tears out of my eyes like broken fountain pipes. I covered my mouth as I gasped seeing all six of them lined up behind me, still wearing their black and orange themed merchandise shirts. I was so speechless. I was almost crying. I am so overwhelmed.

“Dongwan-ah, don’t rush her. We have plenty of time.” Minwoo Oppa put his arm on his friend’s shoulder and gave me a smile. It felt like my heart stopped upon seeing him up close. He intended to calm me down but I can’t help it.

“Sorry – we just ended our performance and we are still hyped. I hope you understand.” Hyesung Oppa explained from the back while grabbing the back of Dongwan Oppa and Minwoo Oppa’s shirt to pull them closer to him. I really appreciate it. Hyesung Oppa’s trying to restrain himself from laughing as well. It’s like they are all really in a good mood.

“Ah – No, it’s okay Oppa. I – uhm.. I will have root beer.” I agreed to it so I can quickly go somewhere to sit. My knees were shaking so bad I might collapse and embarrass myself in front of them anytime. The kind barista told me that he will just go and deliver it to me. I took the first table that caught my eyes and sat on it right away.

With an absolute sigh of relief I started massaging the muscles of my legs. My peripheral vision instantly noticed that the seat beside me was being moved gently by a set of long manly fingers – it was Eric Oppa standing near it and he smiled shyly as he lowered his stance to ask something.

“Can we share this table with you?” He asked politely.

I was shocked with this question. I wasn’t able to answer right away. I looked around as my reflexes demanded for escape and noticed that the rest of the vacant tables the moment that I entered are all taken. It seems like people came rushing in while we were lining up. Most of them were part of the production team and some were orange princesses like me. The table that I got had a sign reserved. I wasn’t able to see it since I was so nervous and took it by mistake.

I feel so embarrassed. Why would he ask me to share the table which was supposed to belong to them from the very beginning? I should read between the lines – I should volunteer to leave. I will.

“Oh, don’t worry Eric Oppa, you may have this table. I will just get my drink and leave.” I told him while smiling. He looked at me with a puzzled eye and I tried to smile awkwardly as I try to avoid his gaze.

“What? Why are you going to leave? I ordered blueberry cheesecake for you. – STAY.” Junjin Oppa exclaimed with disappointment as he pulled one of the chairs and sat on it.

“I suggest, you finish your food first and you may leave.” Andy Oppa winked at me as he sat on the same table among us.

How can I possibly do that? I am already dying with anxiousness. Who am I to deserve this?

It didn’t take long before all of them were seated. It was just like the way I imagined on the fan fictions that I have written about them. My heart is pounding madly inside my chest. I am so happy. The six of them are so near me – in high-definition 4D quality.

“Just like how you wrote it on you fan fictions right?” Dongwan Oppa said out loud. He took out his smart phone and waved it at me – having the cover of my fan fiction displayed on it.

“Thank you for all your ideas. We really appreciate it. You’ve watched our MVs right?” Eric Oppa agreed like a proud father. I can’t explain the kind of delight my soul is experiencing right now.

“We were actually trying to look for your name on the list of participants. Then when we found out that you’re able to get in, we decided to meet you just like this. Hahah!” Minwoo Oppa added while pushing the glass of root beer that just got delivered. I was surprised that it was topped with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

“Aren’t you asking yourself why this table was reserved with seven seats on it?” Hyesung Oppa told me while pointing on the extra seat. He cupped his small face in between his hands while acting cute. Then as expected he cringed before he knew it and gave up on the act and covered his face while laughing.

“How about we make it more interesting since this is our last day for the camp? Do you want to grab a ride with us?” Junjin Oppa suggested with a hint of excitement. His eyes sparkled with eagerness. It was like he’s already imagining how fun it would be.

“Oh yeah! We can go on a short road trip! I’ve been here before and I know places to go to. I will drive!” Andy Oppa volunteered and threw a high five towards Junjin Oppa.

“In that case, I should inform Hyemi that we’ll be late. Our dongsaeng deserves a treat.” Eric Oppa mentioned as he started to press a speed-dial number on his phone. He pat my head as he stood up and went out for a call.

Uri dongsaeng  - we’re waiting for your answer. Are you up for it?” Minwoo Oppa asked again.  

The feeling that I have right now is really unexplainable. Words can’t describe how happy I was. How recharged I felt. After being so dead busy with my job – attending this event and seeing them up close is so much for me to be thankful for. SHINHWA asking me for a short road trip is like a refreshing cold drizzle of rain on a parched summer season.

“YES.” I answered with all my heart and I woke up.

FIN